2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Leupold Rangefinders

Anyone out there use a Leupold?
I've used the Leupold rangefinder a few times while playing with a guy who had one. Seemed easy to use. He told me that he had a Bushnell V2, and the Leupold was far superior. You just don't read very much about Leupold rangefinders.

Anyone own a Leupold? Whaddya think of it?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Bushnell Pinseeker, but am looking at the Leupold, due to its size (much smaller footprint and less weight, given that I carry as often as possible). I saw the Bushnell V2 in my pro shop, but oddly enough, I could not get it to lock on a target. I started to do some online research and the results seem to be mixed.

Bushnell seemed to be first into the golf space, but Leupold is very well known for quality in binoculars and rifle scopes. I have had a Leupold rifle scope for about 30 years, through all kind of crappy weather and never had anything close to a failure with it. I lost a part for it once, and the company mailed a replacement to me, no charge, within a couple of days.

I have the GX 1 and I purchased after a fair bit of comparision for the following reasons

1. Performance, it was better and easier to use than a friends Pinseeker V2
    1. Size, fitted hand easier and was a more compact and solution
      1. Price, better value for money than Bushnell

In fact my friend has sold his bushnell on Ebay and bought a Luepold now

I have been back and forth on getting a GPS or rangefinder...but i do know...when i go into a thread on a specific rangefinder...some hack throwing in a comment that has nothing to do with the subject i.e. leupold rangefinders..is not welcome....not another in the long long long loooooooong winded debate on gps vs range finders....

WHy not go out and dig up one of the 10,000 debate threads and throw your two cents in there. Throwing a happy new year on at the end of a diatrabe against rangefinders is a complete waste of time.

Besides, even though i myself have been on the fence, i came to this thread looking for only specific advice on leupolds/rangefinders.

PS since i play both low end and mid level courses and every single gps system from sonocaddie to skycaddie to igolf and on and on....misses some of my courses...in their database....every one of those companies....saying that gps ..in its current state with inconsistencies in content..is the way to go is a load. I took the ten most played courses by me in toronto area and not one company had 100%..they varied from 6/10 to 9/10....and do not say i can email to have them add it...a few gps friends are still waiting on a few companies a yr later...so..until every gps company...carries every single course...even brand new ones...or low level cheapie courses...not just the fancy country club ones......rant in return over.

i welcome any other leupold opinions....i have read an excellent review on sandtrap and it looks small and yet full featured.

I did a tremendous amount of research on rangefinders prior to purchasing. I used both the Bushnell and Leupold for several rounds before chooseing it. What I liked about it was the size and it's ability to easily focus on the Pin ( I don't have a very steady hand). I was also impressed with Leupold customer service. When a friend had his GX1 damaged on a airline, they replaced it no charge. This was dispite him telling them he was hoping they could repair it, he was not expecting them to cover it under warrenty.

Gee, I wonder if they have improved the technology in the last six years? :rolleyes:

The top of the line golf specific laser rangfinders lock onto a flag stick in seconds (usually 2-3, in my experience). I do not need to look for a "small hill or bunker." I am not guessing how far to the yard stick, I know exactly. Can I hit it exactly that yardage - heck no! But why not have the exact number vs. a range, when it doesn't take anymore time? Yes, it can take a few seconds for a GPS to lock in.

"But trying holding it on a flag stick 150 yards away is nearly impossible." Again, maybe its the outdated technology (or hunting rangefinder) that is your reference point, but have not found it to be an issue at all. The golf-specific RF's pick up the flagstick just fine.

Both methods are great and most players could jump between either without missing a beat. So instead of wasting our time on "my Ford can beat your Chevy", let's get back to opinions on Leupold rangefinders. :friends:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Laser range finders have their place.... in hunting. On the golf course they are TIME consuming. I know before I bought a golf GPS (6 years ago) I used mine on the golf course. It is very accurate +|- 1 yard at 1000 yards. But trying holding it on a flag stick 150 yards away is nearly impossible. You have to aim at something else, like a "small hill or bunker" (as one poster said). So what good is that, it's not where the flag is! You then have to guess how far to the flag. That's a joke.

It's a joke that you think the laser rangefinders are that hard to use and that you have to aim for hills next to the green and then "guess". Obviously you have never used one worth anything. The Callaway/Nikon LR1200 that I use locks on a flag instantly. Takes me less than 3 seconds every time. Even from 500 yds if I feel like it. On top of that you don't have to worry if you are getting an accurate reading from the gps, because you can see you are locked on the target. I also have a sonocaddie v300 and after the battery ran down a couple times, I just tossed it in the golf bag and will never use it again. I played with someone with a golf logix and two of us had lasers and the other had a skycaddie. The golf logix was off by 8-10 yds sometimes. Also, maybe not many are accurate to within a yard, but I can guarantee you that many of us benefit from yardage +/- 5 yds and you can't guarantee that kind of accuracy with a gps whether it's reading accurately or not. The yardage may or may not be accurate to the front middle and back, and you may or may not be able to "guess" where the pin is in relation to that information.

With that said, I would recommend a laser.

how could i not respond to this thread? ;)

can i put it within 1-2 yards? not too often. and when i can, it is usually when i am 10-15 yards away (bada-bum-bum).

the thing that makes me not want to give up my laser (an old bushnell 1500) is that i *know* the distance to the pin (okay okay, when i can see it). the gps you always are taking a risk of poor mapping. and i have played with enough gps units to know well that most all of them have at least some minor mapping issues, and some extremely major issues (enough to make you stop using the device mid-round).

fwiw, leupold makes great devices - for their size they do an exceptional job.

The Leupold is excellent and easy to use. I had mine at spyglass a couple of weeks ago and the caddies saw my leupold and began waiting for me to get the yardages first.

I can easily get the yardages on 200+ flags. 150 yd flags are so quick to measure up.

As far as the comment about being able to hit it to the yardage, you are missing the point. If I know the exact yardage to the pin, I know I have to hit a solid 7-iron, or need to draw it in for an extra 5 yds, or choke down on the grip a little to back off 5 yds. I also can figure out where the hazards are off the tee and on layups.

It only takes about 10 secs to get a yardage and I always have a chance to get it while I'm waiting for someone else to hit their shot.

Leupold GX1-- compact, feels good in the hands, easy and quick to use. Thumbs up. The seven choices of apertures is great -- I wish the lettering was LED RED like my Leica Pinmaster.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I have the GX-1.

I do not have steady hands porbably because of too much coffee. It is very small so I was concerned with the steadiness required.

I dod not have problems using it at all. Just plant both fet and my arm to my ricage to scope. For ever tiem I scoped, I got 4/5 distances identical which I foudn very accurate. Did not even use the ranging function.

Obviously less slower than GPS in finding distance but its usually either using a RF or GPS. If your playing partners have GPS, then jsut get a scope to complement.

After using an older LaserLink during a recent golf trip (gratis at the resort), I'm determined to buy a laser rangefinder, and the Leupold has my attention. I have a question regarding these devices: Do the pins need to have a reflective prism in order for the rangefinder to lock on? If I understand correctly, courses that use the so-called 'LaserLink' system need them, but I'm guessing that the Leupold (and others) don't rely on such a 'system'.

Most of the major brands don't require a reflective prism on the flagstick to quickly pick up a distance (although if there is one that makes it ridiculously easy). I'm generally a GPS guy, but you can find one site's write-up (criticalgolf.com) on a bunch of rangefinders here: Reviews of Laser Rangefinders

Happy hunting!

Thanks for finding the website on the range finder reviews. I found it to be very helpful!! Anybody using the Callaway LR 1200? I am interested in buying a new range finder and I am between the Callaway LR 1200 and actually the as it might surprise you, the Bushnell Scout 1000, as it is the same as the Bushnell V2 tour (non-slope addition). I called Bushnell yesterday and Bruce, from Bushnell, advised me that the Pinseeker that is found on the V2 is exactly the same as the "bullseye" on the hunters addition on the Scout 1000. The Scout is alot cheaper, but I want to make sure I am buying the best. Has anyone found a good price on the Callaway 1200? Thanks...

To Mike618: I've owned the LR1200 for almost 2 years and it is hands down the best one on the market. I bought a Leupold GX II with slope recently because I wanted to try one with slope for non tournament days. The Leupold is on par with all the others I have used which includes nearly all of them except for Leica. The LR1200 is the best at picking up a flag and locks on the target quicker than all the rest. It is extremely accurate as most are, and I would buy another one if mine got stolen or lost.

Thanks for finding the website on the range finder reviews. I found it to be very helpful!! Anybody using the Callaway LR 1200? I am interested in buying a new range finder and I am between the Callaway LR 1200 and actually the as it might surprise you, the Bushnell Scout 1000, as it is the same as the Bushnell V2 tour (non-slope addition). I called Bushnell yesterday and Bruce, from Bushnell, advised me that the Pinseeker that is found on the V2 is exactly the same as the "bullseye" on the hunters addition on the Scout 1000. The Scout is alot cheaper, but I want to make sure I am buying the best. Has anyone found a good price on the Callaway 1200? Thanks...

"...I want to make sure I am buying the best." Then buy the Leupold GX-1 and call it a day, it is the best, period.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

Great product!

I've had mine for about 2 months and it has helped my game tremendously. I agree with previous posts about not being able range a dogleg. However, I can still range it close and hazards as well. I forecaddied at an LPGA tournament last month and was spot on with the regular caddy. My friends who don't have GPS or a rangefinder usually don't hesitate to ask for yardage. Battery still strong after many uses.

I'm curious...I don't have anything now, but loved my SkyCaddie. Would this do the job just as well as a new GPS? I'm keeping my options open before I plunk down another $300+.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I'm curious...I don't have anything now, but loved my SkyCaddie. Would this do the job just as well as a new GPS? I'm keeping my options open before I plunk down another $300+.

I don't get what you're saying? You don't have one now but you love your skycaddie?? You have one or you don't?

Assuming you don't have anything, both the rangefinder and GPS devices have been proved to be very accurate. I would stick with Skycaddie or uPro (I can't speak for other devices) but these two have proven it's accuracy and Skycaddie has been in this business long enough for many people to vouch for it. I can personally vouch for the uPro, in that, it has been on the money for me.

The rangefinder (I have the Leupold GX2, as well) is essentially line of sight. In other words, you will get accurate distances as long as you can see where you need to point it at. I can't say it's any more simple than a GPS device because both Rangefinder and GPS devices have complicated devices and have simple devices. (i.e. Leupold GX2 can be very complicated with all the features it has, same goes with Skycaddie SG5).

I can say that having both, I found the GPS device to be more practical and probably faster to use. Yes, technically you can use the rangefinder probably as fast, depending on fast you can get it to your eye and press the button, whereby the GPS you just look at the screen and it will tells you the distance.

I use the uPro more than the Rangefinder, although I take my rangefinder out (specifically the Leupold GX2) because it has slope calculations which has helped me out tremendously on some shots.

I sold the SkyCaddie because I wasn't using it. I also didn't like the annual fee. I know how far my clubs go, and just don't know if having the GPS will help with slope or stick to a rangefinder. But I certainly appreciate the info!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Thanks, I did pull the trigger on the Callaway Nikon LR 1200. I was able to borrow a Bushnell 1600(non slop), a Bushnell V2 (non slop), Callaway LR 800m and the Bushnell Scout 1000. The Callaway in my opinion only, out performed the Bushnell 1600, but not by much. When it came down to the Bushnell V2 and the Scout 1000, the Scout was just as accurate as the V2 and the LR 800. The Callaway LR 1200 picked up the flag fast, and was spot on. I did have problems with the V2 and Scout at the 240 to 250 locking on the pin. I would have to shoot at something else around the green, therefore defeating my purpose in owning a range finder.

If your on a short budget buy the Bushnell Scout 1000, non arc, goes for around $199.99 at Cablea's. Bruce from Bushnell advised that the Bushnell Scout and Bushnell V2 are the same.

For me the Callaway was hands down the most convinent, and easiest to use. I like the case that straps to my bag, and it's waterproof.

Best price on the Callaway that I found was at Buy.com, $290 delivered.

Thanks to all for your input.

Sold my iGolf Neo to buy the GX-1. Never should have bought the Neo after using the GX-1.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black