Sevam's swing theory discussion thread

bogiesux

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also, can somebody point me to a video that was Pre Accident but post swing change where he "woke up one mornin and had an idea" "n it worked like a charm" .. i think it was 48 or 49? i forget. (for those that say the secret was practicing hard, and thats what he meant by the secrets in the dirt, that kinda knocks that idea out of the water).

Also can someone explain to my Why his foot consistently slides about 4 inches.. what exactly is pulling his leg and why? show me the root cause.. you guys are good at this stuff.

His entire body mass and the clubs mass (which is pretty heavy at that speed as you know) is pulling away from his right foot. It's my opinion that because he does such a wonderful job of fully expanding his right side through impact into the follow through that it drags his leg a little. I have been trying to do this (not consciously have the foot move though), the expansion, for some time. Let me say that there can be nothing hanging on, and you better know where and for how long you've released it or you will be hanging on with something.

I made this little video for my young Japanese students.......sorry if it offends any Hogan fans in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_AflxRYhZU

Martinez,

Things may be tightening up sooner rather than later. After 10 years I am dusting off the clubs. I am going to be dropping the 40 lbs of beer and cheese that surrounds my middle and I am going to try to reel back the clock to 1998 when I really had it together.

My 9 year old says that he wants to play so I will be getting into it again.

As of tomorrow morning I am officially back in training.

Step 1. The Requisite Strength. I am meeting with a personal trainer tomorrow.

Happy New Year Everybody.

Sevam1

Time for the Rocky theme to come out Sevam1 and Happy New Year to you as well good health to you.

JuNiOR

'You think my swing stinks? That's right it stinks, eh!' - Sevam Balboa :D

3JACK

Martinez,

Things may be tightening up sooner rather than later. After 10 years I am dusting off the clubs. I am going to be dropping the 40 lbs of beer and cheese that surrounds my middle and I am going to try to reel back the clock to 1998 when I really had it together.

Sevam1

Time for the Rocky theme to come out Sevam1 and Happy New Year to you as well good health to you.

JuNiOR

3JACK

I think we might chronicle my efforts to get in shape. I am looking for meat lockers right now and Cameraman is putting a chicken coop up.

I can see it now. "Get the chicken Sevam1!!! Get the Chicken!!" :bb:

Sevam1

Martinez,

Sevam1

JuNiOR

3JACK

I think we might chronicle my efforts to get in shape. I am looking for meat lockers right now and Cameraman is putting a chicken coop up.

I can see it now. "Get the chicken Sevam1!!! Get the Chicken!!" :bb:

Sevam1

So Sevam1,are there certain drills or aids you use to practice with?

Or do you just plan on hitting a LOT of balls.

And good luck on the journey!

Had a question about "the Move." Is the right knee supposed to remain flexed into the backswing? This never made sense to me as it would flatten the hips slant severely. Looks to me like Hogan straightened his right knee pretty significantly:

post-28760-1181439699-3.jpg

Yep..nice hip and shoulder slants even with a Driver..great pic

Hogan still has flex in the right knee, though. I think that's a major point to make, especially for the novice golfers on here... myself included!

Yeah, but it is very, very little flex, almost completely straight. There are modern players, such as Sergio Garcia, who lose very little flex from address to the top of the backswing, and thus have significantly flexed right knees at the top.

SGshoulderangle.jpg

Had a question about "the Move." Is the right knee supposed to remain flexed into the backswing? This never made sense to me as it would flatten the hips slant severely. Looks to me like Hogan straightened his right knee pretty significantly:

Hogan still has flex in the right knee, though. I think that's a major point to make, especially for the novice golfers on here... myself included!

Yeah, but it is very, very little flex, almost completely straight. There are modern players, such as Sergio Garcia, who lose very little flex from address to the top of the backswing, and thus have significantly flexed right knees at the top.

SGshoulderangle.jpg

I'm pretty positive that as flexible as Hogan was, Sergio is more flexible. In fact, I believe that Sergio has outrageous flexibility. When I get the move down, I hit the ball far, far better than I ever have and I also noticed that my right knee now straightens out more than it did in the past. That's one of the big reasons why I believe Hogan screwed his foot down (that and the extra spike in the shoe)

I believe that Sergio and Hogan have the same torque on the inside of the right knee (whether or not they both screw their foot in the ground is another story), but Sergio may able to maintain that right knee flex due to surreal flexibility.

I'm *starting* to believe that right knee flex and hip slant is not *that* important as modern instruction has made it out to be over the years. Snead sure got away with it.

3JACK

SGshoulderangle.jpg

I'm pretty positive that as flexible as Hogan was, Sergio is more flexible. In fact, I believe that Sergio has outrageous flexibility. When I get the move down, I hit the ball far, far better than I ever have and I also noticed that my right knee now straightens out more than it did in the past. That's one of the big reasons why I believe Hogan screwed his foot down (that and the extra spike in the shoe)

I believe that Sergio and Hogan have the same torque on the inside of the right knee (whether or not they both screw their foot in the ground is another story), but Sergio may able to maintain that right knee flex due to surreal flexibility.

I'm *starting* to believe that right knee flex and hip slant is not *that* important as modern instruction has made it out to be over the years. Snead sure got away with it.

3JACK

I think you might be misunderstanding me. I'm saying what Snead and Hogan did was good (they straightened their right knees)!!! I don't like what Sergio does. I believe keeping that much right knee flex would be bad for the average player because it doesn't direct energy at the ball very well and makes swaying much easier. The straightening of the right knee is best because it keeps the pivot more centered and directs energy at the ball (steep turn). It also has nothing to do with flexibility. The more you straighten the right knee the more the hips can turn. Sergio has no where near the amount of hip rotation Hogan did on the backswing because Sergio doesn't straighten his right leg.

In the last issue of GD, Butchy Harmon talks about keeping flex in the right knee as a good movement for the average player. By keeping the knee flex the player can't get too deep/ behind and then need to compensate through some other movement (casting usually) to get the club to catch up...

What do you think?

I think that is just plain wrong. What do you mean by deep/behind? I think you mean the club/arms which still doesn't make sense to me. If you kept right knee flex all your slants would be flatter so your arm swing would most likely be a lot flatter as well. I'd think that would get you more deep/behind than straightening the right leg. If I'm misinterpreting what you're saying please correct me.

In the last issue of GD, Butchy Harmon talks about keeping flex in the right knee as a good movement for the average player. By keeping the knee flex the player can't get too deep/ behind and then need to compensate through some other movement (casting usually) to get the club to catch up...

What do you think?

I think that is just plain wrong. What do you mean by deep/behind? I think you mean the club/arms which still doesn't make sense to me. If you kept right knee flex all your slants would be flatter so your arm swing would most likely be a lot flatter as well. I'd think that would get you more deep/behind than straightening the right leg. If I'm misinterpreting what you're saying please correct me.

No. You're not misinterpreting me, but I may be misinterpreting Butch. I'm trying to get a copy of the article online, but can't seem to find it. I have the article right here so I'll just type what it says:

KEEP THE BACK KNEE FLEXED TO THE TOP:

"Maintain the knee flex set at address is the MASTER move here. It restricts the hip turn, which restricts upper-body turn. A more controlled rotation keeps the hands and arms from getting too deep. When they stay wide, they're in position to swing the club back to the ball on a straighter path."

What do you think?

No. You're not misinterpreting me, but I may be misinterpreting Butch. I'm trying to get a copy of the article online, but can't seem to find it. I have the article right here so I'll just type what it says:

KEEP THE BACK KNEE FLEXED TO THE TOP:

"Maintain the knee flex set at address is the MASTER move here. It restricts the hip turn, which restricts upper-body turn. A more controlled rotation keeps the hands and arms from getting too deep. When they stay wide, they're in position to swing the club back to the ball on a straighter path."

Yeah that doesn't make sense to me, I'm sticking with what I wrote before. I'm also not one for restricting turn on the backswing. As far as I see it, address posture restricts rotation enough and a concious effort to restrict the turn is rarely necessary.

Maintaining flex in the right knee is decent advice for someone who has no idea of how to turn into that leg on the backswing. In reality, however, if you learn how to move into the right leg correctly having it damned near locked is no problem at all. Moe hit just about every full shot he ever hit with his rear leg in this position. To see Moe at his best you have to see him anytime pre-1990. When he won 7 consecutive Canadian CPGA Seniors Championships in a row from 1979-85 he was hitting pretty OK for an old man. This pic is from 1990.

Sevam1

An interesting comparison of shoulder and hip slants

and some more comparisons

Wow, nice comparisons. Couple interesting things to note here. First picture is obvious, very flat shoulder and hip slants. Second pic not so obvious to everybody but interesting differences. Sevam's left knee is keeping flexion too long slowing hip speed and limiting COG transfer. Since the pivot has slowed, the arms/hands are slowing down which disrupts rhythm (TGM) and causes the left wrist to break down, which can be seen in Sevam's quicker recock. 2nd tilt is very clear with Hogan due to greater transfer of lower COG.

EDIT: Almost forgot, big difference in neck tilts. Hogan's neck is tilting back at this point, Sevam's is not. This reduces stability of the upper center.

Wow, nice comparisons. Couple interesting things to note here. First picture is obvious, very flat shoulder and hip slants. Second pic not so obvious to everybody but interesting differences. Sevam's left knee is keeping flexion too long slowing hip speed and limiting COG transfer. Since the pivot has slowed, the arms/hands are slowing down which disrupts rhythm (TGM) and causes the left wrist to break down, which can be seen in Sevam's quicker recock. 2nd tilt is very clear with Hogan due to greater transfer of lower COG.

Yep...note the belt buckle ..long way further forward for Hogan on the 5 iron comparison

Yep...note the belt buckle ..long way further forward for Hogan on the 5 iron comparison

Yeah, not only is the belt buckle further back it is also lower. Sevam's is sinking, if you were to put his address belt line up there his follow through belt line would possibly be lower than that, ideally it would be higher. Big part of good footwork, the hips sliding forward rolls the back foot, and the pelvis pushing up elevates it. Also, hips going forward and up will add tremendously to clubhead speed.

eightiron,

Not only are you a laugh you are actually not even fair.

Fun With The Driver and is that other pic from where I am demonstrating to Cameraman the fact that the ball will go dead straight from an extremely closed stance?

You know I made a ton of swings demonstrating a whole bunch of concepts in the context of giving lessons that everyone has been free to watch on YouTube. You go and chickenpick your own highlight real or rather lowlight real from that and try to skewer me with it. I'm glad I didn't post any swings yet of me demonstrating rope hooks around trees or something because you'd be using that here to tell people that this is what my finish looks like for a fade.

If you watch the videos you will see that there are never any edits. No cuts whatsoever. I leave the warts on. I do that for a reason. First so people know it is real and second so that people know that this is not about perfect. This is about concepts. I could film a bucketful of beautiful swings that don't move the ball out of my shadow. Lots of guys can make those. If you would like I will try to get some of that on film for you. You will be impressed, because I can ape a lot of great looking actions that don't produce squat.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out what you guys are on about. When did helping people improve their golf game become a competition? It sure isn't for me or I'd be jerking the threads that you care about around. I stick to my own affairs.

Jeez. Louise. I am still shaking my head. Showing someone how a ball can still go straight from a dead closed stance is not going to look pristine no matter what if you are talking about post impact positions. What in God's name do you think post impact should look like when demonstrating something like that?

Sevam1

Maintaining flex in the right knee is decent advice for someone who has no idea of how to turn into that leg on the backswing. In reality, however, if you learn how to move into the right leg correctly having it damned near locked is no problem at all. Moe hit just about every full shot he ever hit with his rear leg in this position. To see Moe at his best you have to see him anytime pre-1990. When he won 7 consecutive Canadian CPGA Seniors Championships in a row from 1979-85 he was hitting pretty OK for an old man. This pic is from 1990.

Sevam1

Straighter right leg sure, but not locked or perfectly straight. I think some flex must always remain, correct? Without it, how would you feel any pressure/torsion? Semantics I guess.

eightiron,

Fun With The Driver and is that other pic from where I am demonstrating to Cameraman the fact that the ball will go dead straight from an extremely closed stance?

You know I made a ton of swings demonstrating a whole bunch of concepts in the context of giving lessons that everyone has been free to watch on YouTube. You go and chickenpick your own highlight real or rather lowlight real from that and try to skewer me with it. I'm glad I didn't post any swings yet of me demonstrating rope hooks around trees or something because you'd be using that here to tell people that this is what my finish looks like for a fade.

If you watch the videos you will see that there are never any edits. No cuts whatsoever. I leave the warts on. I do that for a reason. First so people know it is real and second so that people know that this is not about perfect. This is about concepts. I could film a bucketful of beautiful swings that don't move the ball out of my shadow. Lots of guys can make those. If you would like I will try to get some of that on film for you. You will be impressed, because I can ape a lot of great looking actions that don't produce squat.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out what you guys are on about. When did helping people improve their golf game become a competition? It sure isn't for me or I'd be jerking the threads that you care about around. I stick to my own affairs.

Jeez. Louise. I am still shaking my head. Showing someone how a ball can still go straight from a dead closed stance is not going to look pristine no matter what if you are talking about post impact positions. What in God's name do you think post impact should look like when demonstrating something like that.

Sevam1

Sevam if that picture is actually not your real swing I apologize for making my analysis. I know you are going on and off with Moe/Hogan etc. However, I don't think I've ever seen you in a follow through position like Hogan's. You generally have the same tilts/slants post impact every time. BUT, I could be wrong, and if I am, please post a picture of yourself performing what you'd consider a real Hogan action, in the follow through position. Thanks.

eightiron,

Jeez. Louise. I am still shaking my head. Showing someone how a ball can still go straight from a dead closed stance is not going to look pristine no matter what if you are talking about post impact positions. What in God's name do you think post impact should look like when demonstrating something like that?

Sevam1

Sorry Sevam I just took the pics as they were..the 5 iron was" you demonstrating Hogan's move" which clearly shows the differences

Would not matter which Driver or Iron swing i took the hip/shoulder tilts and the cog shifts are similar for you...actually i can do p1 to p10 and you don't match up with Hogan in any position...

eightiron,

Sevam1

Sorry Sevam I just took the pics as they were..the 5 iron was" you demonstrating Hogan's move" which clearly shows the differences

Would not matter which Driver or Iron swing i took the hip/shoulder tilts and the cog shifts are similar for you...actually i can do p1 to p10 and you don't match up with Hogan in any position...

8 iron. Doesn't Hogan close his stance with the driver?

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

eightiron,

Sevam1

Maybe............:

plane.jpg

eightiron,

Sevam1

Yep..(feet).I don't understand why sevam can't see the massive difference with the body positions throughout the swing...

Just thought I'd post this montage to illustrate how much more "Hoganesque" Martinez looks

through the shot when the bucket is shifted from the right foot to the left. dts

With the bucket on the left the right side must expand. The bucket on the right drill I use as prep, with that side I need to stay tall from ribs to hips to keep length in the spine for faster rotation.

Knees, Hips and Shoulders all rotated about the same. Makes me wonder WTF some people have been teaching for years, people who have had access to Hogan materiel for 40+ years teaching X-Factor type swings.