2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Sevam's swing theory discussion thread

bogiesux

Knees, Hips and Shoulders all rotated about the same. Makes me wonder WTF some people have been teaching for years, people who have had access to Hogan materiel for 40+ years teaching X-Factor type swings.

Jack Nicklaus ruined all that.

I've got a DVD of swings from the 50s. Everybody's copying Hogan: going left. To me the most beautiful is Roberto DeVicenzo....release left, but sweet as sugar absolutely beautiful (little wrist **** a la Trevino though). Venturi's is nice too: Hogan upright.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting comparison of shoulder and hip slants

and some more comparisons

eightiron,

Not only are you a laugh you are actually not even fair.

Fun With The Driver and is that other pic from where I am demonstrating to Cameraman the fact that the ball will go dead straight from an extremely closed stance?

You know I made a ton of swings demonstrating a whole bunch of concepts in the context of giving lessons that everyone has been free to watch on YouTube. You go and chickenpick your own highlight real or rather lowlight real from that and try to skewer me with it. I'm glad I didn't post any swings yet of me demonstrating rope hooks around trees or something because you'd be using that here to tell people that this is what my finish looks like for a fade.

If you watch the videos you will see that there are never any edits. No cuts whatsoever. I leave the warts on. I do that for a reason. First so people know it is real and second so that people know that this is not about perfect. This is about concepts. I could film a bucketful of beautiful swings that don't move the ball out of my shadow. Lots of guys can make those. If you would like I will try to get some of that on film for you. You will be impressed, because I can ape a lot of great looking actions that don't produce squat.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out what you guys are on about. When did helping people improve their golf game become a competition? It sure isn't for me or I'd be jerking the threads that you care about around. I stick to my own affairs.

Jeez. Louise. I am still shaking my head. Showing someone how a ball can still go straight from a dead closed stance is not going to look pristine no matter what if you are talking about post impact positions. What in God's name do you think post impact should look like when demonstrating something like that?

Sevam1

Sorry Sevam I just took the pics as they were..the 5 iron was" you demonstrating Hogan's move" which clearly shows the differences

Would not matter which Driver or Iron swing i took the hip/shoulder tilts and the cog shifts are similar for you...actually i can do p1 to p10 and you don't match up with Hogan in any position...

8 iron. Doesn't Hogan close his stance with the driver?

Yep..(feet).I don't understand why sevam can't see the massive difference with the body positions throughout the swing...

First of all by closed. I am not talking a little closed . My feet were set 30 degree right of the target. Extreme. I was set up that way to demonstrate soemthing to Cameraman.

Second. This was never about me aping Ben Hogan's angles and positions. My thing is about the pivot and using the ground.

Tiltswing. I will see if we have filmed anything with me holding the club with a left hand low palm/finger grip instead of high palm which is how I hold it.

If I can't find anything I will find someplace to take some swings later this week and I will post something for you. Unfortunately it will have to be indoors.

Sevam1

An interesting comparison of shoulder and hip slants

and some more comparisons

eightiron,

Not only are you a laugh you are actually not even fair.

Fun With The Driver and is that other pic from where I am demonstrating to Cameraman the fact that the ball will go dead straight from an extremely closed stance?

You know I made a ton of swings demonstrating a whole bunch of concepts in the context of giving lessons that everyone has been free to watch on YouTube. You go and chickenpick your own highlight real or rather lowlight real from that and try to skewer me with it. I'm glad I didn't post any swings yet of me demonstrating rope hooks around trees or something because you'd be using that here to tell people that this is what my finish looks like for a fade.

If you watch the videos you will see that there are never any edits. No cuts whatsoever. I leave the warts on. I do that for a reason. First so people know it is real and second so that people know that this is not about perfect. This is about concepts. I could film a bucketful of beautiful swings that don't move the ball out of my shadow. Lots of guys can make those. If you would like I will try to get some of that on film for you. You will be impressed, because I can ape a lot of great looking actions that don't produce squat.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out what you guys are on about. When did helping people improve their golf game become a competition? It sure isn't for me or I'd be jerking the threads that you care about around. I stick to my own affairs.

Jeez. Louise. I am still shaking my head. Showing someone how a ball can still go straight from a dead closed stance is not going to look pristine no matter what if you are talking about post impact positions. What in God's name do you think post impact should look like when demonstrating something like that?

Sevam1

Sorry Sevam I just took the pics as they were..the 5 iron was" you demonstrating Hogan's move" which clearly shows the differences

Would not matter which Driver or Iron swing i took the hip/shoulder tilts and the cog shifts are similar for you...actually i can do p1 to p10 and you don't match up with Hogan in any position...

8 iron. Doesn't Hogan close his stance with the driver?

Yep..(feet).I don't understand why sevam can't see the massive difference with the body positions throughout the swing...

First of all by closed. I am not talking a little closed . My feet were set 30 degree right of the target. Extreme. I was set up that way to demonstrate soemthing to Cameraman.

Second. This was never about me aping Ben Hogan's angles and positions. My thing is about the pivot and using the ground.

Tiltswing. I will see if we have filmed anything with me holding the club with a left hand low palm/finger grip instead of high palm which is how I hold it.

If I can't find anything I will find someplace to take some swings later this week and I will post something for you. Unfortunately it will have to be indoors.

Sevam1

Sevam,

All that is not necessary. I was just saying, could you post a picture of yourself, from a regular stance, doing your normal Hogan action, in the follow-through position? I just want to see what your tilts are like there. Also, I could be wrong, but I think eightiron got that picture from later on in that video when your stance was normal. If not, seeing that picture would help a lot. Thanks.

Just so we are all clear.

1. Original Poster's do not own the topic to the point that they can have it shutdown/deleted whenever they feel like it. They certainly can make the request, and we'll consider it on a case by case basis. The original thread was shutdown because there was just too much bickering and members did not do a good job of policing themselves and getting back on topic.

2. This thread will be locked too if there is too much bickering and insults traded that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Yes, threads do sometimes evolve to other topics than the original, and if that's what the masses want, fine, but name calling is not a topic.

3. Surprisingly, when the last thread got out of hand, no one hit the violation button and reported it...until it got really out of hand a week later, then reports trickled in. If you want the thread to stay alive, then use the violation button if a few select members get out of control.

4. I notice we have this thread, and the Sevam buy his e-book thread going on at the same time. Choose one thread to ask sevam questions and discuss his ideas. Keep one thread going, not two...or three...or four. We really don't want to merge threads, it gets messy, but we'll do it if we must. So again, choose one thread, let the others die out.

5. A few members who posted many insults in the last thread got off easy, but it works both ways. While hardly any formal warnings were sent out, it was noted who seemed to have a problem maintaining the peace. These few members will not be allowed to bring down another thread. I think you know who you are, so without naming names or getting into a big debate, be warned now, you are on a very short leash.

6. One of these days, a condensed version of the 124 page thread without the name calling may show up at top along with our other permanent topics. It's going to take awhile to sort through. A lot of valuable information was shared/discussed, it shouldn't go without some credit. In the meantime, enjoy this thread, keep the peace, and it will stay unlocked for a long, long time.

Thank you for the cooperation.

I don't understand the nature of this debate when there is none Sevman1 is giving his advice graciously be happy and two certain posters are bickering at every turn comparing apple to oranges hijacking this thread and ask myself why do they care they closed the last thread right :dntknw: !!!!! Why are they being allowed to post in such an insulting manner!!! I'm out till Monday hopefully something can be done about the nephews.

JuNiOR

Just thought I'd post this montage to illustrate how much more "Hoganesque" Martinez looks

through the shot when the bucket is shifted from the right foot to the left. dts

With the bucket on the left the right side must expand. The bucket on the right drill I use as prep, with that side I need to stay tall from ribs to hips to keep length in the spine for faster rotation.

Had a question about "the Move." Is the right knee supposed to remain flexed into the backswing? This never made sense to me as it would flatten the hips slant severely. Looks to me like Hogan straightened his right knee pretty significantly:

post-28760-1181439699-3.jpg

Yep..nice hip and shoulder slants even with a Driver..great pic

Knees, Hips and Shoulders all rotated about the same. Makes me wonder WTF some people have been teaching for years, people who have had access to Hogan materiel for 40+ years teaching X-Factor type swings.

Yeah nice free rotation. BTW Martinez, your swing is REALLY good, looks like you compress the ball and bow the shaft extremely well!!

1. Original Poster's do not own the topic to the point that they can have it shutdown/deleted whenever they feel like it. They certainly can make the request, and we'll consider it on a case by case basis. The original thread was shutdown because there was just too much bickering and members did not do a good job of policing themselves and getting back on topic.

2. This thread will be locked too if there is too much bickering and insults traded that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Yes, threads do sometimes evolve to other topics than the original, and if that's what the masses want, fine, but name calling is not a topic.

3. Surprisingly, when the last thread got out of hand, no one hit the violation button and reported it...until it got really out of hand a week later, then reports trickled in. If you want the thread to stay alive, then use the violation button if a few select members get out of control.

4. I notice we have this thread, and the Sevam buy his e-book thread going on at the same time. Choose one thread to ask sevam questions and discuss his ideas. Keep one thread going, not two...or three...or four. We really don't want to merge threads, it gets messy, but we'll do it if we must. So again, choose one thread, let the others die out.

5. A few members who posted many insults in the last thread got off easy, but it works both ways. While hardly any formal warnings were sent out, it was noted who seemed to have a problem maintaining the peace. These few members will not be allowed to bring down another thread. I think you know who you are, so without naming names or getting into a big debate, be warned now, you are on a very short leash.

6. One of these days, a condensed version of the 124 page thread without the name calling may show up at top along with our other permanent topics. It's going to take awhile to sort through. A lot of valuable information was shared/discussed, it shouldn't go without some credit. In the meantime, enjoy this thread, keep the peace, and it will stay unlocked for a long, long time.

I don't understand the nature of this debate when there is none Sevman1 is giving his advice graciously be happy and two certain posters are bickering at every turn comparing apple to oranges hijacking this thread and ask myself why do they care they closed the last thread right :dntknw: !!!!! Why are they being allowed to post in such an insulting manner!!! I'm out till Monday hopefully something can be done about the nephews.

JuNiOR

Hmmm nobody being insulting here..just showing differences and that the "Move" is not in any way Ben Hogan.

Yes its apples to oranges

Tilt i posted already where i pic the 5 iron..it was the Hogan Move...the mass chasing the hips...and it was!!!

Seems to me that Mr Hogan was way more left with everything until the 2nd axis tilt kicks in ..stands up and releases that tailbone..unbelievable that's why he was the best

No doubt, I fully agree with you. I am just trying to make sure Sevam understands that, and give room for him to state his opinion of our analysis.

JuNiOR

JuNiOR

I completely agree with this. There a some people in here that need to start their own threads with their swing theory's and ideas. They are taking on the tone of trying to discredit Sevam1 at every opportunity.

Most of us are well aware that he doesn't look exactly like Ben Hogan. Who does? And actually I don't care if he looks nothing at all like Hogan. All I know is that "The Move" and other things he has touched upon have helped me immensely.

In this thread I'm not really interested in what the other experts have to say. They should start their own threads like Darius and I will be happy to read them.

Ok, come on now Tigersworld and JASON. What have either eightiron or I said that is insulting? There have not been any personal comments made, everything has related to swing theory. We are comparing Sevam's swing to Hogan's because it is relevant to the discussion. It is important to understand how "the move" translates into actual swing positions/alignments compared to Hogan, because if it is Hogan's secret there will be similarity in pivot and potentially other aspects of the swing. Also, shoulder/hip slants and COG positions/torso/neck tilts are not "apples and oranges." The hip/shoulder slants are going to have a HUGE impact on the swing plane, and analyzing tilts post impact gives us an idea of what the golfer is doing before and through impact. Sevam is not getting speed through the ball like Hogan for reasons already stated, which results in his neck tilts/torso tilts/COGs being different than Hogan's. We are not the reasons why these threads are getting closed. Someone will post a totally false comment that is not relevant to the discussion but is meant to attack the credibilty or intentions of posters debating something. That is what you're doing right now and it starts pointless arguments. I suggest if you have nothing relevant to add to the discussion you should post nothing at all. I THINK IT'S GREAT THAT SEVAM IS HELPING YOU GUYS, but that is not relevant to this discussion. We are trying to assess the validity of the idea that Sevam knows Hogan's secret, that's all.

JuNiOR

I'm actually happy to see 8 iron's and Tilt's posts as we are finally really learning how Hogan swung. I just got back inside from hittin balls (had to look at a CT), but was actually working an a rearward tilt of my upper thoracic spine pre & at impact.

Keep it coming guys. Thanks.

Slighter Auburn

Sevam,

All that is not necessary. I was just saying, could you post a picture of yourself, from a regular stance, doing your normal Hogan action, in the follow-through position? I just want to see what your tilts are like there. Also, I could be wrong, but I think eightiron got that picture from later on in that video when your stance was normal. If not, seeing that picture would help a lot. Thanks.

The follow through position and actually all of the positions the arms move through are going to be influenced a lot by the hold on the club. So it is important. Where the club heads is influenced by the hold you have on it especially on the followthrough. Once your arms extended and you are through the hitting area the club is now pulling you. Your hold on it has a great deal to say about where it heads. I will try to do a proper full out session showing all of the differences. Then you can evaluate to your hearts content. I want to do it where I can have them hand me clubs of different specs also so that we can see the adjustments that I have to make with respect to the clubs adn see how the swing and grip must change to accomodate the various club specs. I know a clubmaker who has some video and measurement equipment that I may be able to use for this purpose. I will talk to him. I think that will be valuable for people in any regard.

Sevam1

JuNiOR

I'm actually happy to see 8 iron's and Tilt's posts as we are finally really learning how Hogan swung. I just got back inside from hittin balls (had to look at a CT), but was actually working an a rearward tilt of my upper thoracic spine pre & at impact.

Do it in another THREAD! Please.

Thanks

Hang on...this was about the "move" being Hogan's secret..The Evidence is overwhelming that the "move" is not in any way related to Hogan's Pivot...which part of the evidence are you in disagreement with?

I can understand that the grip may affect some aspects of the follow-through, but how would it affect your tilts? I see a left knee flexed too long that results in insufficient shift of your lower COG (pelvis) which slows your whole pivot and obviously the arms/hands/club as well. This causes a faster recock than Hogan and an akward neck tilt. Hogan's head and neck is releasing back along with hs upper spine, his pelvis is going forward, which creates the 2nd tilt. If your grip does affects this, could you explain how because I have no idea how it could. Thanks.

Hi Tiltswing

I've been thinking about you comparing Sevam's swing to Hogan. I am wondering what you might see if you compared Sevam to Gardner Dickinson or Ken Venturi. They probably knew Hogan best but would their swings meet your test?

Moefan

In a lot of ways they certainly would! I guarantee their hip/shoulder slants are better, as well as their post impact tilts. Pause Venturi around 0:05 in this clip, much better lower COG shift than Sevam, and hip/shoulder slants are better at the top of the backswing:

. I can't find any Gardner Dickinson footage.

JuNiOR

Thanks

Hang on...this was about the "move" being Hogan's secret..The Evidence is overwhelming that the "move" is not in any way related to Hogan's Pivot...which part of the evidence are you in disagreement with?

How many times do I have to say it. I DON'T CARE!!!!

This move has helped me. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT'S HOGANS SECRET!!!!

Please start another thread about why the move is not the secret. Or start a thread on your own version of the secret and have some participation there.

Thanks

Jason

Ok, sorry Jason but we care that Sevam is claiming to know Hogan's secret, when at this point, the evidence is essentially undeniable that he does not know Hogan's secret. The title of this thread is "Ben Hogan/Moe Norman Secret? Part II" so I'd say everything we're saying is fully relevant to this topic. You might want to start a thread called "Applying The Secret to our Golf Games." Also, didn't the marshals just say DON'T start any more Sevam related threads????

JuNiOR

Thanks

How many times do I have to say it. I DON'T CARE!!!!

This move has helped me. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT'S HOGANS SECRET!!!!

Please start another thread about why the move is not the secret. Or start a thread on your own version of the secret and have some participation there.

Thanks

Jason

Ok, sorry Jason but we care that Sevam is claiming to know Hogan's secret, when at this point, the evidence is essentially undeniable that he does not know Hogan's secret. The title of this thread is "Ben Hogan/Moe Norman Secret? Part II" so I'd say everything we're saying is fully relevant to this topic.

Yes but it also says discussing the Move not tearing it apart. "The Move" does work. So I guess you just need to get over the Hogan thing and move on or start your own thread with your own MOVES.

You are fixated on Hogan while most everyone is else is interested in Sevam1 and what he as has to say about the golf swing.

Please start your own thread about Ben Hogan and all of his secrets. I will happily read it.

You might want to start a thread called "Applying The Secret to our Golf Games." Also, didn't the marshals just say DON'T start any more Sevam related threads???? The fact is Sevam is claiming to know Hogan's secret, I want to see if that is true. We aren't allowed to make any more Sevam related threads, remember? So it's all going to happen right here.

Hi again Tiltswing

I guess I've been thinking about Hogan's swing for over thirty years.

The thing that always bothers me when someone claims to know Hogan's secret is that it looks and sounds like the blueprints for the space shuttle. Hogan descibed for us the events leading up to and then getting his idea. It sounds like it came to him in an instant. Something like the apple falling out of the tree and hitting you on the head. That's what is so appealing about Sevam's idea. I don't doubt that all the explanations of where Hogan was at what point in his swing are true. I just don't know if anyone can think about all that and still swing the club. The best part of Sevam's idea is how easy it is think of while swinging.

Moefan

In a lot of ways they certainly would! I guarantee their hip/shoulder slants are better, as well as their post impact tilts. Pause Venturi around 0:05 in this clip, much better lower COG shift than Sevam, and hip/shoulder slants are better at the top of the backswing:
. I can't find any Gardner Dickinson footage.

Shizzle ma nizzle! Amazing resemblance at and post impact. You sure you Morad guys don't moonlight Hogan!?!?!?!? You sure know your Hogan.

Slighter Auburn

keep the drama for highschool. Nobody is saying anything derogatory or offensive. They are simply challenging opinions and claims.

Yep I know. But has Sevam1 crashed any of SliceFixers threads and continually challenge him about his theory's?

So again I ask that you start your own thread about your own theory's and not clutter up this one. It's just the respectful thing to do.

For one, you arent even reading the own thread you are defending if you think that is what I am doing. And I havent seen Slicefixer in here trashing sevam1's theories either, so i'm not exactly what your getting at.

I'm sure there have been decipals from the main thread who have wandered off into the stack and tilt area of the forum complaining about how weight can't be on the left side in order to rotate the left hip enough to not stall the torso or more jibberish created by that thread (not by sevam1, but others). The entire forum is about debating theories and golf swings, let them have a good discussion and maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

Jason..you are missing the most amazing thing about this forum, deduction! Sevam has brought this upon himself, he claimed the inversion or (move) was Moes secret, and alluded to it being Hogans secret. Early on in his massive thread I asked if that is the secret, then why during impact he looks nothing like hogan (even when he did his Hogan impression). He is a bright man, with a good action...and also an e-book for sale :). The members of this forum are not going to sit back and watch someone hint at knowing hogans secret, then selling a book based off the popularity of a thread where his "move" was hogans move. We want to get to the bottom of everything, educate others and ourselves..Use the methods of deduction to figure out what is valid and what is false. Take part in the discussion or sit back and read..either way you'll learn something if you keep an open mind. Mike is a big boy, he can defend himself.

Hi again Tiltswing

The thing that always bothers me when someone claims to know Hogan's secret is that it looks and sounds like the blueprints for the space shuttle. Hogan descibed for us the events leading up to and then getting his idea. It sounds like it came to him in an instant. Something like the apple falling out of the tree and hitting you on the head. That's what is so appealing about Sevam's idea. I don't doubt that all the explanations of where Hogan was at what point in his swing are true. I just don't know if anyone can think about all that and still swing the club. The best part of Sevam's idea is how easy it is think of while swinging.

Moefan

This is an open forum and whatever Tilt and 8 have mentioned in this topic has been mainly very impressive swing analysis. I've learned a lot... BTW, Sevam asked for their swing opinions of his action earlier today.

This would have been a heck of a lot easier if Mike had just said he knew a thing or two about the golf swing.. Could say some old things in some new ways, and had a few new ideas. When you start to say you can do Hogan, and you think you know his secret..your going to garner a lot of attention from A LOT of very smart people on this forum..These MORAD TGM guys will really break it down, they live for it lol.

Moe fan.

Hogan also said the secret is there for you to see if you just knew where to look.

That implies it is a visible swing maneuver. We have videotape now. By their very nature (and the fact they are professionals) these Morad guys really understand body mechanics; they'll figure it out. We've learned more about how Hogan swung in a handful of their posts than in hundreds of pages of inuendo and jabber.

Slighter Auburn

This would have been a heck of a lot easier if Mike had just said he knew a thing or two about the golf swing.. Could say some old things in some new ways, and had a few new ideas. When you start to say you can do Hogan, and you think you know his secret..your going to garner a lot of attention from A LOT of very smart people on this forum..These MORAD TGM guys will really break it down, they live for it lol.

Exactly...there was a lot to learn by their posts...it was interesting to see them break it all down...learned some very valuable positions.

Hi again Tiltswing

Moefan

Yeah, you can think about it while doing the swing. There are simple images and concepts that allow a golfer to get complicated things working in their swing, such as getting the correct tilts post impact. Think of Five Lessons, do you think Hogan had every word of that book in his head when he swung? No, he certainly didn't. It is a lot of information and a lot of it is difficult to perform for a beginner, so you need to PRACTICE. I doubt this is Hogan's secret because I see no reason why this right foot thing would prevent hooking, which Hogan's secret did. I see no actual, concrete biomechanical result of "the move." Perhaps it would be a good feel, but can you tell me what aspect of your swing mechanics has been improved as a result of "the move"? If you could, that'd be great! However, I really don't see what would be improved, so I don't see how it could be Hogan's secret. Why would it make sense that the left release and hard work would be Hogan's secret? The left release actually WILL prevent hooks, it was only present in his post-secret swing, and it is something that is DIFFICULT to ingrain. All of this matches up with what Hogan said regarding the secret.