uPro 2009 ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I guess I should have looked more closely at the website. Any rumors of upgraded hardware ?

Don't feel bad - it's buried in the FAQ's. Took me a while to find the info as well.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

• 3 weeks later...

With Callaway buying Upro we may see some nice updates soon. I have not heard that is the case, I am only guessing. But now they have the $ backing and should be able to get these updates finished. I am sure callaway will want to have all the features available so they do not fall behind the other companies.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

With Callaway buying Upro we may see some nice updates soon. I have not heard that is the case, I am only guessing. But now they have the $ backing and should be able to get these updates finished. I am sure callaway will want to have all the features available so they do not fall behind the other companies.

Callaway wasted no time in rebranding it as the Callaway uPro (see updated home page below). The FAQ's still show that the software updates are expected in "Spring 2009". I'll bet one of the "updates" will be the new splash screen shown with the Callaway logo on it. :lol:

http://www.uprogps.com/

question for the upro owners, do you guys purchase and use the upro features or is the free basic mode good enough? I would hate to spend another 100-180 dollars on these maps after already spending 399 on the unit.

thanks

I buy the pro modes - they include the basic modes. If all you want is the basic mode then any of the units will give you front, center and back. I use both modes while on the course. The pro mode is incredible. It shows you the hole with yardages to various points.

You buy credits and then use the credits to purchase the courses. The nice thing with the upro is that once you buy the course it is yours forever. You do not have to pay any annual fees to keep it. If you lose your unit you simply re-synch the courses as Upro knows which ones you have purchased.

I looked at all of them and did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that the Upro was the best one for me.

if you pay for a course and the course changes and is remapped, do you have to re-buy it??

No.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

has all the bugs/issues been addressed for the 2009 model (red box)?

If I decide on this unit, should I not look at the older black box model?

Are you guys experiencing any other issues or reoccuring issues from the past, like battery life, reboots, sleep mode delays in start up, satelite signals, etc?

The Garmin touch screen G5 looks really nice but I think it retails for 500 and im sure their library is limited so early in development. Course I could be wrong.

thanks

No issues since new software update. It has worked flawlesly. Pro mode measure mode is great!

+1

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

One of my concerns is battery life and ability to view the screen in pro mode under the bright sun. ive read a lot of reviews/comments on that and most were not favorable.

So my question is, even if you fiddle with it on every hole and play with the ball mark feature and scoring page, will the battery life last on a full charge for 2 rounds? How did the new SW update help the brightness or lack thereof of the display?

thanks again guys.. This along with the new touch screen is at the top of my list. But I am still always throwing in the SG5 into the mix for some reason. I think in the back of my head I feel like they have been around the longest, and is a solid/reliable/proven product and will be around for a while. The thing I hated about the SG2 was the battery life, membership fee, constant plug in and DL of courses (only holds 10), and once my membership expired the unit was worthless.

Regards

I have not played two rounds back to back yet, however, I played 18 holes last Sunday. I turned it on yesterday, just out of curiosity and had 2 out of 3 bars on the battery indicator.

You mentioned touch screen. Were you referring to the upro or to the new Garmin that is expected out this first quarter? The upro screen is not a touch screen that I am aware of. I bought mine 2 weeks ago and it was in a black box, however, the first thing it did when I connected it to my computer was an update to latest software.

question for the upro owners, do you guys purchase and use the upro features or is the free basic mode good enough? I would hate to spend another 100-180 dollars on these maps after already spending 399 on the unit.

I buy the pro mode for most courses, I dont bother with the some of the local munis because they are pretty simple and I only need yardages. The best part of the pro mode is any point feature, it really helps for laying up.

Are you guys experiencing any other issues or reoccuring issues from the past, like battery life, reboots, sleep mode delays in start up, satelite signals, etc?

I was having a problem with syncing the thing to my laptop, it was not finishing. I had one of the service guys call my cell phone yesterday and walk me through fixing it. I was on the phon with him for a hour, their customer service is second to none. Well see if that changes now with Callaway.

One of my concerns is battery life and ability to view the screen in pro mode under the bright sun. ive read a lot of reviews/comments on that and most were not favorable.

So my question is, even if you fiddle with it on every hole and play with the ball mark feature and scoring page, will the battery life last on a full charge for 2 rounds? How did the new SW update help the brightness or lack thereof of the display?

The sun has been a issue with me, but im pretty sure it would be a issue with any unit. The battery life hasnt been a problem yet, I played 2 rounds with it last week and probably could of got another 9, and I play around with the thing a lot.

I got the thing as a gift and I dont know if I am completley sold on it yet, but that is because I was a rangefinder guy. I see the whole Callaway deal as being a positive, but I would hold out until the scorkeeping feature is released.

agree with above post. As for sun - you can adjust the brightness, I actually dropped to 50% brightness (think it says above 70 effects battery life) & really have had no problems with the measurement view - The issue is on the flyover video - you will need to shield it to see it straight on, again I keep contrast down. I also added a Zagg protector - seems to help with sun also.

2 rounds not a problem - & could probably get extra 9 holes. 2nd battery is fine - but need to sell a creadle to charge it in - i do not wnat to be taking the back off constantly to charge 2nd battery.....especially on a golf trip!

Question about the Upro. Can it tell you how far you hit your last shot, the skycaddie does and I definately like that feature. I am between this and the skycaddie.

You certainly can. Although most are suprised at how short they hit I. It has the mark feature it calcs as you walk so you can tell your mates their distance as you walk by theirs to get to your ball!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks

If you are buying this device, you should absolutely be purchasing the "ProMode" courses if possible. The AnyPoint mode is really second to none. Yes, the course fees are a bit on the high side...I just tell myself that it is still cheaper than buying a Course Guide.

And yes, there are certainly other GPS devices that have lower (or no) fees, but for the ProMode courses I really think you get what you pay for.

Like others, I find the battery to last just over 2 rounds - I would make sure to buy an extra and keep it charged and in your bag...

Anybody know when the stats module is going to be available? Originally I heard early February, but that has come and gone...

I was thinking teh same thing. I see it is still not out.

Unfortunately no concrete answer from uPro. Here is the reply I got from their customer support:

Thank you for contacting uPro technical support. In regards to

your question below, we do expect a shot tracking and score tracking

module to become available for the uPro in the near future.

Unfortunately at this time, we do not have a concrete release date nor

do I have any specifics on the actual module itself. Once more

information becomes available, it will be listed on our web site,

www.uprogps.com. I'm sure you are enjoying your uPro, but if you have

any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

I just go the uPro & used it for a round yesterday. It worked perfect. It gave me all the distances I needed, distance of my last shot, and the "Anypoint" works great. It's so small I carried it in my pocket while I played...it was so light I could barely feel it.

I used to use a Bushnell pinseeker rangefinder...but this GPS provides so much more info....I will never go back to a rangefinder.

I do not know about any other GPS.....but this unit is awesome!

Ping G425 Max w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter

I finally got to play a course in the Pro mode. all I can say is WOW!!! Although the basic gives me FAR MORE info than my old IGolf -----this thing comes to life in the Pro mode. I'm going to need more credits...............

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I used my uPro for the first time today on the course as well and I am really impressed with it. It was at a course I've played many times so I found myself skipping the flyovers a lot. The Pro Mode was excellent and I used the basic mode shot measurement to track how far I hit my drives. Battery life was better than expected and the screen was very readable in the sun.

What are you guys paying if purchased locally. They all seem to be $399 to $430? MSRP is $400!! I'd like to find one locally (Sacramento area) for $350. If not I'll go to Amazon or ebay.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]