Camp Creek & Destin/Panama City area courses

67VIP

I noticed that most of the reviews on this forum are centered around courses in the central florida area, so I thought I'd post a note here about courses in the Panama City Beach/Destin area. I spent 6 weeks there in 2006 and played Camp Creek, Burnt Pines & The Raven @ Sandestin, and Regatta Bay. I was most impressed with Camp Creek (Tom Fazio design). That course was in phenomenal condition and very stimulating visually. If you are in the area and can get on, by all means make the effort as the course is well worth it. In fact the Golf Channel wrote a glowing review of the course last November. I also enjoyed playing Burnt Pines at Sandestin, it was another outstanding track; The Raven was also nice but not quite in the same league. Regatta Bay was well conditioned, but seemed like a hundred other courses I've seen and played in Florida. I didn't get to play Kelly Plantation, but I heard it is very nice from everyone I talked to about it.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove by the Hombre umpteen times going around PC and never stopped to play. I guess i was too busy trying to squeeze in all the upscale courses in the area. I forgot I did play the Nicklaus course at Baypoint and liked it alot, but the greens were a tad firm when i was there...I've never seen a wedge shot bounce 6 feet in the air off a green before. I can't believe I somehow missed Kelly Plantation and The Shark's Tooth. If I get a chance to go back I'll play Hombre, Shark's Tooth, and Kelly Plantation...along with another shot at Camp Creek and Burnt Pines.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

There are several threads on here about the Destin area. Is Camp Creek open to the public again? Last I heard it went private or you had to stay at Water Color. Sharks Tooth is another great course in the area if you can get on. http://www.sharkstoothgolfclub.com/ Has anyone played the DL III course Origins Golf Club http://www.originsgolfclub.com/ ?

Camp Creek is an amazing course. I lived in PC for 5 years. Only played it twice with a friend who caddied there. Windswept Dunes is my favorite of all the courses in the area. Probably my favorite course anywhere besides Koolau here in Hawaii. Camp Creek has to be in the top 20. Hombre / Baypoint very nice as well.

There was at least one thread on Destin, but it seems to have moved or was deleted for some reason. Most of the threads now in the Florida section seem to be about orlando and tampa. Camp Creek is private, but you can get on...it just takes a little work. Don't waste your time talking to the Watercolor Inn people...they're insane. The prices they quoted me were in the Pebble Beach league--grossly excess. I told them that and reminded them that their course was not ranked in anybody's top 100 before i hung up. The sad thing is I really dig that course. I've been playing golf for 30 years (since I was 15), and only 5 courses have had me foaming at the mouth on the first tee: Camp Creek (Panama City Beach, Fl), Vistoso Golf Club (Tucson, Az), The Tribute (The Colony, Tx), Wild Dunes Links Course (Isle of Palms, Sc), and Harbour Town Golf Links (Hilton Head, Sc). There have been other courses I was excited to play...but those were the mac daddy for me. These pictures are from Camp Creek and they aren't even the best holes.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

I have to agree Camp Creek is great but man they think their s@&@ smells like roses. If you have not played Kelly Plantation I highly recomend. It is no Camp Creek but its is definetly my #2 for sure. we had a guy trip for a few years and we always stayed in Sandestin and played all the courses you talked about. To this day my order is still (excluding Camp Creek) 1. Kelly 2. Burnt pine 3. Raven 4. Regatta Bay 5. Baytoune and 6. Links

If you want to head north on 331 from 98 and the left on 20 you will run into a nice track called Windswept Dunes the course was excellent when I was there and it was cheap. BTW at that time they were still building the clubhouse so prices might have gone up.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only played Camp Creek once unfortunately, but the staff hooked me up big time when I was there. At the time they were still semi-private and it was peak season (mid February '06) so the rate was $140 w/cart. I looked around the clubhouse and the holes you could see from the putting green and finally decided the hell with it, I'm going to play. I had told them I was in the Air Force and over at Tyndall AFB, so they only charged me $125, and DID NOT ring up the yardage book, logo ball, divot tool, or ball marker I had right in front of me on the counter. I asked the pro "uh, don't I owe you for all this?" And his reply was "no that's on the house" or something to that effect. I went from there to the first tee, got paired up with one of the best blind draw playing partners I've ever had (computer program designer from Alabama) and we proceeded to have a blast playing that course. It was one of those rounds where you are actually too pumped up to play, so I shot 84 from the blue tees if I remember correctly. I could have shot in the 70's if I wasn't foaming at the mouth. Chamber of Commerce day, weather wise, too. What's funny is that I played Burnt Pines @ Sandestin a week later and got sort of the same reception. Burnt Pines is private and it was $150 (take it or leave it) to play, but then they also threw in a yardage book and logo ball. I played The Raven the same day for only $40 ($5 for yardage book and logo ball), so $195 total to play those two courses. That was a hell of a deal in peak season! I think lunch was included at The Raven, too (hotdog and coke). Three great rounds of golf in 6 days. Burnt Pine & The Raven in photos below:

:partytime2:

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 5 weeks later...

Windswept was fun yesterday. Greens are pretty firm, only had one pitchmark to fix, even a high wedge shot wouldn't leave a mark. Rolled fairly well though.

Heard at a local bar that Camp Creek had just [like that day] gone semi-private, with fee play at $150.

12* TM M2 

16* Ping G400 4w

Cobra 7w

TM 5h

Mizuno 919 HM 6-G

Mizuno T22 52/s, 56/d, 60/c

Tour Rossie II 34"

Update:

Santa Rosa: nice playable track, hard to find, be sure to ask for directions. Friendly course, not too punishing.

Camp Creek: confirmed that it is now semi-private, winter rates around $155. Didn't play.

Windswept: not a bad track, greens were in rough shape, course was packed. Poor range. My least favorite of those i played.

Origins: an 1800 yard 9 hole track. Good conditioning. Only 3 years old, greens are a little fuzzy, but true. Very scenic, no homes. A very entertaining and great walking course. Highly recommended, $30 to walk with a pull cart, $50 to play all day [starter, John, said 'shoot, play 18, go home, have lunch, take a nap, come back for another 18....]

Hombre: saved the best for last. Course was in good shape, particularly given the amount of play it receives. Greens true and somewhat soft. Nice range. Very simple single number cart GPS system. Lots of water, bring lots of extra balls. Can't wait to play that one again!!

Also, heard that the Nicklaus course there in PC was offering 2 for 1 greens fees thru their email club, might be worth checking out!

[and the Red Bar in Grayton Beach is the best 19th hole in the entire area! :)]

12* TM M2 

16* Ping G400 4w

Cobra 7w

TM 5h

Mizuno 919 HM 6-G

Mizuno T22 52/s, 56/d, 60/c

Tour Rossie II 34"

• 1 month later...

I am headed there (Destin) next week. Anyone play the course on Eglin AFB? I plan on trying to play on Kelly Plantation, Bluewater, and maybe one other.

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

• 2 weeks later...

Any opinions on Indian Bayou or others around Destin for under $100? I'll be there in 2 weeks. I played Camp Creek 2x in 05 and that that was one of the best collections of par 4s I've ever played! 3 of the par 5s are very similar in design, (water down the left side, slight dogleg to the left) which I thought was the worst thing about it. Course is built on a sand dune area. Walked the course in about 4 hours. If they had walking lanes and paths, it would have been better, but there are some natural areas with sand, high grass (and sand fleas and snakes) that you don't want to walk through, so you have to follow the cart path.

By the way, I'm not surprised that the military guy got some freebies, they love and respect the military in the panhandle.