2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Looks, feel, name and player endorsment?

The Fat Easy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult one if we're honest with ourselves.

Oh, how true how true. ;)

Mine:

1. Looks

2. Feel

3. Player Endorsement--this can drive me away from a product just as quick as it'll pull me toward it.

4. Name

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

mine is ...

1. Feel

2. Looks

3. Name

4. Players endorsement....

Since purchasing my first set of forged cavity backs, mx-20's I have been enamored with feel!!!!!

Thats why I bought the mx-23's the minute they came out. Players endorsement is the least of my worries but I know if tiger woods went back to Mizuno irons... So would a lot of others....

Eric

Feel

Looks

Name

Player endorsement

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

1. f (feel) - this is the MOST critical to me. The club must feel good at impact (clubheads) and during the swing (shafts)

2. l (looks) - I have to have something I like to look at. I won't play mules just because the feel good.

3. n (name) - I'm a bit of an OEM snob, and partial to certain brands. While there are some component clubs that are fine equipment - I tend to think the big OEM's have lot more research $$$$ to put technology into their clubs.

4. pe (player endorsment) - LAST on the list easily. While I like certain players (Tiger, for example), I would certainly not lean towards those clubs simply because he plays them.

1) looks - a good look at address is the most important thing for me, it gives me the proper focus and confidence. I play much better with Player's CBs or even MBs than with game improvement irons just because I'm not comfortable looking down at them.

2) feel - I'm not big into the pure Miura feel, etc. etc. What I do want though is enough feel that if I mishit a shot I know. I played Ping irons for a while and when I would miss out on the toe a little I wouldn't know so I never really tried to fix it. Once I switched to a less forgiving club I felt the mishits and was able to practice and fix the problem.

3) name - I like TM and Titleist meaning I try their stuff first but I would certainly play anything if it performs better.

4) Endorsement - yeah it's cool to play what some of my favorite players play but since I can't play like the play it's not that big a deal.

looks -- if you don't like the way it looks you'r not going to try/buy it..

feel -- it had better feel good, or your going to suck and hate it.

name -- once you find a good product from a OEM.. you tend to stick with it.

PE -- could care less, but once your get the first 3... then you find your new favorite player. Trevor Immelman

Performance and feel. So far, I bought my new driver and irons base don monitor performance (and then checked playnig them for a few rounds). I had wanted a couple particular brands (due to looks, name, and players) but they just didn't work for me so I crossed them off the list. My bag is getting more and more mixed now because of it though (TMade, Orlimar, Adams, Cleveland, Odyssey). ;)

1. performance when i swing the club

2. performance when i swing the club

3. performance when i swing the club

4. performance when i swing the club

i keep it simple...

I like cornbred19's answer, but to go along with the thread:

1. Looks--It's got to be pleasing to my eye if I'm going to play it. You don't walk by the model to talk to the ugly spinster sitting next to her.

2. Feel--The clubs might look good, but if it's not happening in the feel department then it's never going to happen (can't make yourself want to try to like them)

3. Name--The last two are interchangeable to me. Hell, take a look at my bag and you'll see I'm all over the place. Of course, it doesn't mean I won't try a new club when it comes out, but that doesn't mean it'll be in my bag any time soon...

4. PE--This I could care the least about so I put it down at the bottom. It doesn't matter to me what the pros are using because if it doesn't meet my first two then it's never getting down to 3 and 4.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

1: Looks

2: Feel

3: Name

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour

I know how this seems, but...

1.Name

2.Feel

2.Looks

2.Player Endorsement

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

Feel and Look is at the top of my list pretty equally. I have to like the feel of the club in my hands and at impact, but golf is such a mental game if the club does not look right at address it will carry over to the set up, alignment and ability to put a good swing on the ball. Brand is secondary but does have merit I will always compare clubs being tested to my current brand and I tend to look at new stuff from current brands that I play first before I look elsewhere. Player endorsement has nothing to do with my choice ;)

Just My .02 cents :D

Looks and feel are far and away the most important. Name and endorsement may weigh in on occasion but even then it's a small amount and falls way behind the first two factors.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

1. name - i'm gonna go and look at nike, titleist, mizuno, taylormade before i look at callaway, adams, and macgregor

2. looks - if it doesn't look good to me i'm never going to be able appreciate at it, but thats not to say the look won't grow on my (nike sq driver and taylormade rescue dual)

3. feel - very important

4. player endorsement - don't care. i can't hang with the pros even if they had one hand tied behind there back. i play nike because i like the design, look, feel and performance, not because of tiger woods. i play vokey wedges because of the design, look, feel and perfomance, not because half the pros do.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

i'd agree with golfernut. I don't look at macgregor, adams, dunlop, ben sayers, etc… unless I am really bored, even if I like looks and feel I probably won't buy it.

for the rest

1. name

2. looks

3. feel

4. Player endorment. (this is important to golf itself. If people didn't do this golf would be a poor sport and proper players might have to pay for their clubs, but yet proper clubs might be cheaper)

1- Looks for sure

2 - Performance

3 - Player Endorse / Brand Loyalty

4 - Sound

I'm the only demented wacko on earth who LOVES the sound of the FT-3. Everybody else thinks it's horrible, it's like music to my ears. Yeah that's what the golf world needs, is the 5,000th driver that sounds like metal breaking glass. It's strange I love Tiger but have only a Nike Bag (Slingshot Tour), I don't pull for Phil or Vijay yet play Callway & Cleveland.

Callaway Great Big Bertha  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym Smoke  15*  Kai Li Blue

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Callaway Big Bertha 7 - AW  TT Elevate 

Ping Glide 54*
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

feel, looks, name, player endorsement..that order

i don't care about the name much less a player's endorsement at all. i play what i like and don't care if someone thinks anything of it.

Love that avatar! Oh yeah, I'm Feel, Looks, Name, Player Endorsement.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

1. Looks - I could care less how a driver feels if it's 5º closed.

2. Feel - Obviously if it feels like a telephone pole with a rock tied on the end I probably won't put it in play.

3. Name - For the most part I could care less, but there are a couple companies out there that make garbage.

4. Player endorsement - They are paying me to play it so why should I care who is getting paid?

Just wondering in your opinion, which is most important for buying certain brands. Whether its 1 or all 4.

Please put in order of preference.

Heres mine.

1. pe (player endorsment)

2. n (name)

3. l (looks)

4. f (feel)

I'm going to be completely honest. I know i sound like a poser but here is why i bought my current set.

1. Player endorsement (I never would have bought Nike clubs if Tiger wasn't endorsed by them, and I'd bet my life that no one else would have either)

2. Name

3. Looks

4. Feel

Well, a bit of a surprise to me that most replies are nearly all the same, its as if most repliers are off really low single figured handicaps. I mean I see alot of middle to high handicappers playing all the big brand stuff and in my honest opinion, I dont think that feel is at the top of most of their lists. I play off 7 and my whole set is made up of titleist,right down to the glove. The man who did it for me is Ernie Els. My thinking straight away is that if Ernies using Titleist that they musnt be half bad which is why I have PE at no1, and then I saw players like DL111, Adam Scott and others using Titleist and it made my brand decision even easier. Hence name at no2. Then I hunted for a head that I liked which happened to be the 690.mbs. Tried them out and they felt wonderful. Matched my Driver, 3 wood, wedges, putter ball and glove based purely on the PE and the name and couldnt be happier. If a callaway iron felt like heaven, I still wouldnt buy it due to who plays it, the name and those horrible chunky looks. I think theres a lot more people out there that think like I do but are either to shy to reply or just plainly not that honest with themselves. Cmon all you nike players, tell us how Tiger pursuaded you! ;)