2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Southwestern Ontario Courses

golfortennis

Since it was very handy for my trip to Phoenix recently, I thought I would put up some information on courses in SW Ontario. This won't include any GTA, as I'm not really familiar with much golf there, particularly public courses.

Note that these are simply opinions(mine), and give you my take on things. Others may(and in some cases very likely will) disagree.

Starting out in the London-ish area, the top public courses from a conditioning and reputation point of view would be Forest City National, Firerock, Tarandowah and Otter Creek.

Forest City National-A pretty good layout. Note that it is not affiliated with the GAO, and thus does not have a course rating, for those who keep a handicap. I played in early spring, so the trees weren't in bloom, but in late spring I'm told it can be very pretty . It is a good test, but can have a slow play problem. Also next to the airport, so you will have planes flying overhead. My understanding is they do allow walking, although the green fee includes cart.

fcngolf.com

Firerock-Decent layout. I found I like it less each time I played it. A couple of blind shots, and cart mandatory work against it for me. There is some elevation change, which isn't always easy to do around here. Highest green fee in this area. Some people have much more positive opinions about it than I.

Update:Played the tips for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and for me, found I really like it from back there. The shot values are quite different, which requires a different strategy to play the holes. Also, ask for the yardage book if you don't see one on your cart. The on-cart GPS is useless with all the ads, but the yardage book is quite helpful. #10 does not bother me since using the info from the book.

firerockgolf.com -Located in komoka

Tarandowah-This course is the most polarizing of opinions. Markets itself as links-style, but run up shots are not really part of the strategy. Very few trees, lots of fescue. PLay early to avoid the backups from everyone losing golf balls. Course was designed to be walked, which is a big plus, but does not overcome holes like #11. Should be a par 5, but is super long, with cross bunkers where drivers would land, leaving long second shot to well protected green with huge gully in front. Just silly. Again, for every person who share smy dislike for this one, you will find someone who calls this the best course they have ever played. Given the diversity of opinions, play it once to form your own, as it is different from any other course you will find in this area.

puregolf.net

Otter Creek-Newly opened in 2008, my favorite of these courses. Excellent use of the land available, with elevation changes prevalent. Not to say there aren't a few flaws. #8 is a bit of a weird hole, but the creek crossing back and forth limited the opitons, but it's a long iron to avoid the second creek, and a fairly long forced carry. Plus 8th green is about 15 yards from #5 green. A long tee shot from 5 could be dangerous. #16 is huge risk reward- a good drive can gain a lot of yards as the fairway drops at about 265 yards, but there is trouble all around. A couple of good uphill climbs will make some people want to ride, but it is walkable. Still, though, this is a great course IMHO.

ottercreekgolfclub.com

A step down from those courses yields a mix, and I have not played a ton of those, but one I really enjoy is St. Mary's Golf and Country Club. #1 is a touch awkward, but beyond that, it is a really good layout. The conditioning is not at the level of the others above, but it is fine, and the market it is located in would not bear the green fees cover the increased maintenance cost. Also quite walkable, #3 tee shot from the tips is a very pretty view.

Update: There are some major changes going on here. #17 green is being moved to the right, and word is that the 18th tee will go to where the 17th green now sits. Will make for two improved holes.

stmarysgolf.com

Those are the London area courses that I have played that I feel are worth mentioning.

In the Windsor area, which I called home for many years, there are a few courses. I have never had the opportunity to play the Ambassador Golf Club, nor Kingsville Golf Club. Ambassador is fairly new and I have heard good things, and Kingsville I can say is a very good golf course, and you should make an effort to play there, without having played it.

Got to play Ambassador on the weekend. Great Service, great conditioning. Course yardage is built up by some long holes. 237 and 242 par 3s for example. Worth playing, although being a McBroom design, holes do seem a bit repetitive. But management does a great job with what they can control, and is worth the stop. Greens hold your shots, and are kept at a fair speed.

Seven Lakes opened a new 18 as part of a real estate development about 6 years ago, and it is quite the course. Long, with some very tight holes, it requires power and precision. It is worth playing.

sevenlakesgolf.com

Roseland is a Donald Ross design, which is a positive, but it is also a muni, which, the way it has been run for years, makes it a negative. It will get booked up and very busy, and the course is not maintained to a Donald Ross level, but that may well be impossible. Try to get the first tee time to avoid holdups(although they may send people off the back).

http://www.citywindsor.ca/000556.asp

Update: Word is that Sutton Creek has gone back to public play. I was a member at this course when I lived in that area. The course is flat, but has good length. #2 and 3 are similar holes, but you do overall need to hit a variety of shots. #8 green was rebuilt about 8 years ago, and is probably the prettiest (and maybe toughest) 148 yard par 3 you could have not next to a body of water. 18 is a very good finishing hole, great risk/reward if you want to go for it. This course was known for its greens back in the day. If you could putt here, you could putt anywhere in the area. This may not be the case, as the greenskeeper has changed a few times, and the conditioning budget is usually the first thing to be cut when a course goes from private to public. If anyone has played it recently, please let us know about the condition.

Again, these are course that a)I have played, and b)I feel are worthy of mention to someone coming from out of town looking to play. I have played more courses than listed, however they are either private clubs, or not clubs I would direct somebody to play if they were looking for a round.

If anyone has more courses to add, or that they feel should be on the list, please feel free to add to this.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live 10 minutes away from ottercreek golf course and its definitely one of the best courses in Ontario during the summer and they don't even have the clubhouse built yet which is supposed to be amazing when complete over looking great scenery.

It used to be lanf used for tobacco and it took nearly millions and millions of dollars and three different owners I believe to finally complete the course, it was worth the wait for me.

• 8 months later...

I can say that The Ambassador is a very nice course. If you play it from the tips (which I did) it makes for a very long course. Par 4's are very long which require accurate tee shots as well as a long iron into the green. There are about 4-6 holes that surround a huge pond in the middle of the course. I played on a windy day and stayed out of the hazard but my buddy's shots were getting pulled in like a magnet. The course has a bunch of holes that are not protected by trees so the wind can really pick up. The cost was like $87 or something stupid like that. In my opinion, unjustifiable.

Of the other 4 courses you reviewed I've played all of them. I live in London so Firerock's been played a bunch; Forest City National probably 15 times; Tarandowah played 3 times this year. I did really like Tarandowah the first 2 times I played it but started to notice thing about it that I did not like. There are a lot of hidden bunkers (cannot see them from the tee) and therefore makes it a lot harder to set up for your second shot on long par 4's or par 5's. Played Otter Creek this year and can say it is a very nice course with some very blind shots. By far the most challenging course I've played in SW Ontario.

The only thing I hate about courses around here (at least the nice ones) are the green fees. I know that down in the states there are an abundance of courses so they need to lower rates to stay aflot, but come on. Tarandowah was the cheapest at $48. That's the only one that is worth the money. The rest are highly over priced for what you get.........maybe excluding Otter creek which was $77 with carts. Guess they gotta get the money for the clubhouse somewhere.

• 6 months later...

I have played both firerock and ambassador. I enjoyed both courses and if you look they often have specials in the $60 range which is reasonable for the courses. Lets move these courses up near Toronto and the muskokas and see what they would charge for green fees??

In The Bag
Callaway Paradym TD 8* - Venrus Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth+ 15* - Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* - Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100s 4-pw - PX 6.5

Vokey 50F/54F/58T - PX 6.5
Lab Mezz Max- 34"
Titleist ProV1

I've played these course quite often...

Forest City National- good test of golf. But long rounds are the norm.
Ambassador- great layout played it once I have been trying to figure out a way to go back.
Firerock- some goofy holes and some solid holes. Good layout none the less and the greens have improved alot over the last couple of years.
Tarandowah- great test of golf. A little rough around the edges but it gives me all I can handle when I play it.
Otter Creek- best course out of these no questions asked. Great shape, great holes and challenging.

Ambassador is simply amazing. I would love for some of the michigan guys to come down to play.

In Windsor I would say it may be the only one worth paying for (Essex, Pointe West, a few other private ones are impossible to get on)

Kingsville is fantastic. 27 holes. Erie Shores is nice as well - short and tight.

2024 Bag TBD

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='mikey19y' date='24 June 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1277432219' post='2531452']
I've played Otter Creek and Forest City, and my favourite would probably have to be Forest City, other than the airport right beside the course it's soo quiet and has a great scenery. I like how the course play's, it has tricky greens, but I think Otter Creek has more difficult greens.

Anyone ever play Green's at Renton?
[/quote]

Forest City has gone downhill in the last 10 years. I used to really enjoy my experience there, but now the customer service is just atrocious. Not to mention the beverage cart girl doesn't stop when you're trying to focus on a shot. I love Otter Creek and am planning to play there in a couple weeks. I wouldn't say F.C. has great scenery really. I mean, when you're stepping all over goose sh!t and there's planes flying over head, it's not that amazing (maybe I've played there too many times). Otter Creek's scenery/difficulty/maintenance is far greater than Forest City. In my opinion, Forest City National charges WAAAAY too much for their green fees. Something like $68 (understandable 10 years ago), when Otter Creek charges $77. For the extra $9 I'd rather play in Otterville. Just my $0.02

• 3 months later...

Otter Creek - can't walk that one so a cart is necessary - similar to many others
Ambassador - Good deal and a challenge
Firerock - OK but for the blind shot at 10 (look out below ! ).
Rose City - a Donald Ross muni course but you can see the nice design elements that Ross built in like the lines of sight creating the look of bunkers next to a green when they are in reality, 40 yards in front.
Tarandowah - my favorite - no cart paths so there are no "cart path only" days which I found at Forest City National two days after rain (btw - had the course record at FCN since I was the first paying customer ! That record lasted about five minutes). Tarandowah has a rating from the tips of 4.5 over par and it keeps my game as sharp as possible without the things that annoy me elsewhere some of which are; no walking allowed, cart path only days, high fees, being busy (this place is never during the week).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1287264080' post='2746129']
How is otter creek just outside of London - I might have a chance to play there on Sat.

I heard it was great.
[/quote]

Kind of late but Otter Creek is a good test. There are some target like holes that are not to my liking (meaning a short club off the tee that leads to a heroic 2nd shot because the fairway runs out of room at a creek or pond). I prefer to go to Tarandowah down the road where there are decisions to be made as to whether or not to go for it off the tee because there is a creek at a critical yardage whereas that choice has been made for you at certain holes of Otter Creek.

• 6 months later...

Just to update you guys on the first post Quote "A step down from those courses yields a mix, and I have not played a ton of those, but one I really enjoy is St. Mary's Golf and Country Club. #1 is a touch awkward, but beyond that, it is a really good layout. The conditioning is not at the level of the others above, but it is fine, and the market it is located in would not bear the green fees cover the increased maintenance cost. Also quite walkable, #3 tee shot from the tips is a very pretty view.
Update: There are some major changes going on here. #17 green is being moved to the right, and word is that the 18th tee will go to where the 17th green now sits. Will make for two improved holes.
stmarysgolf.com

That is now finished and playable...and very nice at that and #18 is much more difficult!!
Science Hill is also a very nice course just north of St. Marys, never very busy either.

[quote name='Jay Hammond' timestamp='1309919801' post='3367603']
Just to update you guys on the first post Quote "A step down from those courses yields a mix, and I have not played a ton of those, but one I really enjoy is St. Mary's Golf and Country Club. #1 is a touch awkward, but beyond that, it is a really good layout. The conditioning is not at the level of the others above, but it is fine, and the market it is located in would not bear the green fees cover the increased maintenance cost. Also quite walkable, #3 tee shot from the tips is a very pretty view.
stmarysgolf.com

That is now finished and playable...and very nice at that and #18 is much more difficult!!
Science Hill is also a very nice course just north of St. Marys, never very busy either.
[/quote]

I've always liked that track. Played some of my best rounds there. The first hole is, well, interesting. Third hole, as great as the view is, makes for a REALLY long par 4 if there's wind in your face (which there is most of the time coming off the top of the hill). Nice track, but to compare, for example, the 3rd hole par 4 with the 4th and 5th holes being par 4's.....it's not great planning by any means. Not to mention the par 5 8th which is impossible to go for the green in 2, and makes for an awkward third shot if your second shot didn't end up at the bottom of the hill on a flat(ter) lie and is stuck up on the hill. I will say, I like the greens, and despise the 16th hole (with that huge tree). Very tough to make par on a windy day. I like what they're doing with 17 and 18 though. Both very smart changes and will make 18 play, not harder, but maybe more like a par 4 that I feel like I can pull the driver out.

With all that said, a decent track and good price. Just lots of hills.

• 2 months later...

how does anyone like Otter Creek? There are 5 or 6 awful holes there. C'mon. You have to drive halfway down 18 to get to the 10th tee for heavens sake, talk about danger city. And 18 is stupid as stupid gets for a closing hole
There are some great holes but the routing is one of the worst I have seen. Play away from 18th tee on 17 and then come back down to 18 afterwards? I could not believe the flow

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='CARDY' timestamp='1315353552' post='3546760']
how does anyone like Otter Creek? There are 5 or 6 awful holes there. C'mon. You have to drive halfway down 18 to get to the 10th tee for heavens sake, talk about danger city. And 18 is stupid as stupid gets for a closing hole
There are some great holes but the routing is one of the worst I have seen. Play away from 18th tee on 17 and then come back down to 18 afterwards? I could not believe the flow
[/quote]

I played Otter for the first time on Monday afternoon taking advantage of the $60 twilight rate and I have to agree with the drive to #10 tee...As we are driving to it following the guys in front I thought WTF is he doing why is he going up 18 while these guys are hitting into the green seemed pretty dangerous to me...I think its the kind of track you need to see a couple times to know where to play it to ...Other than that I thought the place was pretty nice, condtioning was great also...I will definitely be back but never pay full price to play there.

Cheers,

Scott

Callaway Sub Zero, Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Ping SF Tech 16*
Titleist 816H1 21*
Titleist 913H 24*
Callaway Razr MB 5-PW
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
Spider X Copper

[quote name='Mr.Fuji' timestamp='1316042506' post='3564760']
[quote name='CARDY' timestamp='1315353552' post='3546760']
[/quote]

I played Otter for the first time on Monday afternoon taking advantage of the $60 twilight rate and I have to agree with the drive to #10 tee...As we are driving to it following the guys in front I thought WTF is he doing why is he going up 18 while these guys are hitting into the green seemed pretty dangerous to me...I think its the kind of track you need to see a couple times to know where to play it to ...Other than that I thought the place was pretty nice, condtioning was great also...I will definitely be back but never pay full price to play there.

Cheers,

Scott
[/quote]

You were lucky! I walked it last time I played there.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

What about redtail i know it is super private but has anyone out there played it or really know any history about it, i have played fcn it is an okay track gets pretty burnt up in the summer, fire rock is okay as well numb,10 and 18 are stupid holes, i played college golf at roseland was a good old fashion track it has been a number of yrs since i have been there but would love to go back.

[quote name='theminnow' timestamp='1364268633' post='6695417']
What about redtail i know it is super private but has anyone out there played it or really know any history about it, i have played fcn it is an okay track gets pretty burnt up in the summer, fire rock is okay as well numb,10 and 18 are stupid holes, i played college golf at roseland was a good old fashion track it has been a number of yrs since i have been there but would love to go back.
[/quote]

bumping a really old thread but I have played red tail , didn't find it burnt up , its weird how empty it can be at times ...

I'm a member at the London Hunt Club and just love the layout ...

... I enjoy Tarhandowa for the challenge but keep my driver hidden away when I play there.

FCN is a fun track , not played there in a while but I can see how it could get backed up

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

• 5 weeks later...

I am from Ottawa, but play every year, Spring and Fall, in the Windsor area where my in laws live. There are some excellent tracks there.
Ambassador is a must play IMO. Challenging, especially with the prevailing winds, links style design and conditioning are first rate. Add a beautiful clubhouse and you have as good a publicly accessible golf experience as you can get in the GTA or Ottawa.
Seven Lakes is also an excellent course with a great variety of holes, good design and reasonable rates.
For the traditionalist, the Roseland course, a Donald Ross design has been recently restored. It is well worth playing if you like a parkland setting with majestic old trees.
Kingsway's 27 holes offer a lot of variety, good conditioning and some welcome changes in elevation.
If you can get on Essex and Pointe West, which I was able to do by simply having my home course club pro arrange it, you'll be glad you did. They are both gems.
I have never been disappointed when playing in the Windsor area.