2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PGA Tour Players Who Swing Like Hogan

If you go over the original plane you made in the backswing and hold your right wrist you can still hit the ball from the inside. The problem were most people go wrong is they come over and release their right wrist which gets the club attacking from too steep an angle and OTT. If you try to hold the angle as much as you can and try to come over the top you will see that you are not as OTT as you think. This move of coming over the original backswing plane gets everything back in front so you can release everything together through the ball and left.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinions can be supported with observations and fact. I explain why it is different. O'Hair very upright and has a large drop plane shift when Hogan worked OVER his backswing plane. Are you an instructor? Just wondering.

Mr iteachgolf,

Sorry to digress from the topic but does this mean Mr Hogan came "over the top" but still hit from the inside? I thought over the top always implied a wipe. Are there any other pros who use this concept (if I interpreted what you said correctly) or is this unique to Mr Hogan? How can one come over the top of the plane....without casting?!! Doesn't one imply the other? :beruo:

Mac O'Grady, Sam Snead, Tiger at times, many others. Most tour players who have very deep backswings/takeaways will come over the plane they took it back on. They hands work over or out and club shaft flattens or shallows. Many of the best ball strikers ever have used a similar move. The still come from the inside but just over the plane they took it back on which is usually very shallow/deep.

2858891744_b883cc929a_b.jpg

you can see here he is still very shallow but his hands/arms aren't as deep in pic 6 as the are in pic 4. Compare how close the hands are to the right shoulder in the two pictures. Big difference to coming down over the plane you took it back on and coming over the top.

iTeach,

Your frame 4 vs. frame 6 analysis is mildly flawed in that it would appear to be an issue relevant to just this matter of the hands relative to

the right shoulder while in fact the chief cause for the variation is truly the shifted COG. All I'm saying is an effect is an effect and a cause is a cause.

It would help the interested questioner to be able to know the difference. dts

Howdy all,

I have been practicing and playing golf for 38 years (I am 48 yo). I have been teaching the game for over 25 years. In that time, I have read and watched just about all the teaching methods and swing theories out there. I firmly believe that there is no one right way to play this game, only different ways. Having said that, I have recently returned to studying Hogan, the man and his teachings. I studied Hogan many years ago but then went in a different tangent for a while. I have enjoyed rediscovering his Five Fundamentals, interpreting what he wrote, and comparing it to the videos of his swing.

What I want to do next is gather video of modern/current tour players who apply the Hogan methods especially the lower body movements/foot work. That is where I need your help. Who out there purposely tries to swing like Hogan? Who looks like they swing like Hogan? I plan on going to several tour practice rounds this year to video swings and I want to compile a list of players. I am not familiar with all the players and don't want to miss any prime examples. Most of the players I grew up watching are well past their Champions Tour prime. This is purely a personal research/learning project. I would appreciate any input you might provide.

Play Fast & Play Often,

Beener

Beener - if you're still following this, you'll have gathered that there are at least 2 Hogan swings. Nevermind pre- and post-secret swings, the 2 I'm thinking of are the swing described by Hogan in 5 Lessons (and to an extent, but highly debatable, so let's not go there, Power Golf) and Hogan's own swing as seen on youtube. This thread illustrates how there are some analyses of Hogan's own swing that don't make much reference to Hogan's written teachings.

As a teacher yourself, have you formed any views on which model you're primarily interested in - the one demonstrated by Hogan, or the one described by him?

iTeach,

Your frame 4 vs. frame 6 analysis is mildly flawed in that it would appear to be an issue relevant to just this matter of the hands relative to

the right shoulder while in fact the chief cause for the variation is truly the shifted COG. All I'm saying is an effect is an effect and a cause is a cause.

I understand but he was simply asking if you could come over the plane of your backswing while swinging inside out and if Hogan did this.. I wasn't trying to analyze Hogan's swing just using him as an example. He didn't ask why it happened or what the cause was. The cause is the amount of hip and shoulder rotation between the two pictures. As you know the faster you rotate the more out or over your backswing plane you will swing, especially with a deep backswing. This is why the big drop from Leadbetter guys. The turn late so at the same point in the downswing they are more closed than they were in the backswing.

P.S. Don't assume that because I answered the question that IF it happened that I don't know WHY it happened. You don't know me or what knowledge I have.

iTeach,

+1 to you and iteach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not saying they are identical but they are similar in key areas. Body is open at impact, right wrist bent, flat left wrist, upper left arm pp, club is exiting low and left, the clubface has stayed very quiet, right foot has rolled to the instep, sidebend is close. Furyk is a lot closer to Hogan where it matters than Tommy Armour.

I'm not saying they are identical but they are similar in key areas. Body is open at impact, right wrist bent, flat left wrist, upper left arm pp, club is exiting low and left, the clubface has stayed very quiet, right foot has rolled to the instep, sidebend is close. Furyk is a lot closer to Hogan where it matters than Tommy Armour.

I would agree with that.

+1

My visual concept on strait look or image would still be TA III.

Funny, Mr. Burke has said Campbell swings a lot like Hogan. But WTF would he know............

Mr. Hogan told his inner circle to "do the positions....." and adapt them to their swing, but not to swing like him.

Only Gardener swung like him, the others just used the key positions in their own swings........even in the 'more' DTL releases that Harmon and Schlee had.....you can see it, you just need to know where to look.

O'Grady and Slice figured out a lot of the positions and key points........very, very similar principles, but different actions to accomplish the same effects. That's why the Morad guys have such a sound understanding of Hogan, rivaled by only a handfull.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

Does anyone think there will be a golfer that will have comeplete control of their golf ball like Mr. Hogan in the next 10 years? Kinda a strange question, I know, but I was just wondering what you guys think.

Interesting question. Gut here says no, and here is why. Course conditions, course conditions, course conditions, and technology. With the pristine conditions at most courses these days, gone are the days of finding really really bad lies even when you miss. Look at how some of todays best players are playing, bomb it super long, hit 50% of the fairways- not a problem, break out the super duper juiced up wedge and spin it like crazy to 2' and make the birdie putt. Even with the roll back on grooves upcoming, I still don't think it will change the mentality of the next generation of players. Maybe it is time trade the Jacobsen Tri plex mowers for the old herd of sheep? That might place a premium on finding the fairway, and hopefull a good lie.