2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PGA Tour Players Who Swing Like Hogan

Are there any? Who are they?
Howdy all,

I have been practicing and playing golf for 38 years (I am 48 yo). I have been teaching the game for over 25 years. In that time, I have read and watched just about all the teaching methods and swing theories out there. I firmly believe that there is no one right way to play this game, only different ways. Having said that, I have recently returned to studying Hogan, the man and his teachings. I studied Hogan many years ago but then went in a different tangent for a while. I have enjoyed rediscovering his Five Fundamentals, interpreting what he wrote, and comparing it to the videos of his swing.

What I want to do next is gather video of modern/current tour players who apply the Hogan methods especially the lower body movements/foot work. That is where I need your help. Who out there purposely tries to swing like Hogan? Who looks like they swing like Hogan? I plan on going to several tour practice rounds this year to video swings and I want to compile a list of players. I am not familiar with all the players and don't want to miss any prime examples. Most of the players I grew up watching are well past their Champions Tour prime. This is purely a personal research/learning project. I would appreciate any input you might provide.

Play Fast & Play Often,
Beener

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate,

I'm not much of a swing guru so I'm not going to be a massive help but the one guy you should watch on the PGA Tour is Jonathan Byrd.

It's my understanding that he was originally taught to impersonate Mr Hogan's swing and he has continued to study it throughout his career. Don't get me wrong, it's not a carbon copy. That being said, you can certainly see similarities between the two.

I have been studying Hogan in detail for years and honestly, I have seen noone, NOONE, who swings like Hogan both from biomechanical as well as visual point of view. The notion "hoganesque" is rather overrated and suggest only "a rotary swinger with lowish swing plane and without a crossover release that is capable to swing left with an in-to-in manner". Nothing more than that. Far enough from real Hogan and too general enough to pay a very special attention to it.

Post-secret Hogan motion is very specific and is being characterized by some, IMO, some crucial concepts that noone either is able to grasp, let alone copy until now.

Cheers

Hardly any have the entire package. But, there are bits and pieces.

Backswing : Byrd, Immelman (but not for all the same reasons)

Transition : Glover, Weekley, Segio, Martin Kaymer, Tiger (at times)...[None as well]

Hip High to Hip High : ..........only Hogan (Toms, Mahan, etc... all carry the club through differently, but they do use the pivot)

Pivot Release of the Body Through Impact and Beyond : Greg Norman was very similar (early-mid 90's). In fact, it might be the closest. He was incredible. And some kind of powerful.

A lot of people have released left with the pivot. But, I don't see many that had the club coming from the same angles and with the same arm/wrist/club arrangements (fundamental) like Hogan did.

You should definitely have a look sergio, especially when he was first on tour as he got very laid off like Hogan.

I think Hogan's fundamentals are a great place to start, however I think some golfers will get very frustrated trying to copy him completely, I myself have. Hogan said that at the top of the backswing you simply unwind the hips, which creates massive tension between the upper and lower body, which then release the hands and arms through the ball. I am not sure everyone can recreate this (the classic photo of hogan of arms horizontal with the club head somewhere behind his body). One reason Hogan was able to do this is that he had very strong hands and arms which although he didn't feel were working through the downswing must have been working. This also requires amazing timing, which I think is why he had to hit so many balls in his early years. It took time for his muscles to develop in such a way to hit the golf ball like this. By his own admission, he was a "dreadful" golfer when he was first on tour.

I agree with you, no two people are the same, and therefore no two swings are the same. We are all built differently, so a feeling for one person, will simply be completely different for another. Hogan's arms and hands were disproportionally strong relative to the rest of his body and I think he maximized this with his swing.

Sorry, back to the pros, I agree I think Immelman does things similarly. He too has strong forearms. I reckon Sergio and Immelman a good place to start.

This also requires amazing timing, which I think is why he had to hit so many balls in his early years. It took time for his muscles to develop in such a way to hit the golf ball like this. By his own admission, he was a "dreadful" golfer when he was first on tour.

This is one of the advantages to Hogan's swing IMO, less timing is involved than a swing that is more DTL slinger. It takes the proper sequence of the chain action to get Hogan's results. Only if someone knew how to execute the sequence. The proper sequence is the timing of his swing.

How do you know Hogan's hands and arms were overly strong compared to the rest of his body? Do you have proof of this or just a blanket statement?

Hoganfan had a post on this forum in a thread, i'd have to pull it up, but it summarizes that Hogan's unwinding the hips statement is very misleading. You have to be back to your left side before you unwind, Hogan didn't directly mention this in his book.

What about this guy? Scott Mccarron........?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U20S3CWMOc

This is my favourite swing on Tour nowadays. Always liked McCarrons motion (much better than Garcia's or Immelman's). Unfortunately, he is not very close to Hogan as well. If you take off his OP takeaway and work more on his pelvis CoG motion, IMO he would be closest to Mr.Hogan of all PGA hackers of today ;)

Cheers

This is my favourite swing on Tour nowadays. Always liked McCarrons motion (much better than Garcia's or Immelman's). Unfortunately, he is not very close to Hogan as well. If you take off his OP takeaway and work more on his pelvis CoG motion, IMO he would be closest to Mr.Hogan of all PGA hackers of today ;)

Cheers

I think he hits the ball with too much negative loft which is why I believe he struggle with hitting longer clubs high enough. Hogan was shallower with more positive loft and easier to work it both ways instead of just left to right. I prefer someone like Byrd or Sergio, who I know isn't swinging much like Hogan, but I believe with his shallower angle of attack is more versatile in both curve and trajectory.

Cheers

I think he hits the ball with too much negative loft which is why I believe he struggle with hitting longer clubs high enough. Hogan was shallower with more positive loft and easier to work it both ways instead of just left to right. I prefer someone like Byrd or Sergio, who I know isn't swinging much like Hogan, but I believe with his shallower angle of attack is more versatile in both curve and trajectory.

I think so too.

Teach,

For someone that comes in as high as McCarron with that kind of load/lag/accumulators, what else is left to do? Dump it (flippy at times) or pivot with it (deloft and limitations of ballflight options) ???

Could he shallow it out with some pivot work/axis tilt/right shoulder, and then whip it with the pivot?

Cheers

I think so too.

Teach,

For someone that comes in as high as McCarron with that kind of load/lag/accumulators, what else is left to do? Dump it (flippy at times) or pivot with it (deloft and limitations of ballflight options) ???

Could he shallow it out with some pivot work/axis tilt/right shoulder, and then whip it with the pivot?

Yea I believe he'd have to create axis tilt somehow and keep his left arm more in/across his body in the downswing with a more open clubface. His natural shot would be a high draw this way but would be easy to go either way without giving up much.

Cheers

Dariusz why is Mccarrons swing better than Sergio...seen them both live..no comparison...Sergio makes McCarron look like a hacker

Cheers

Dariusz why is Mccarrons swing better than Sergio...seen them both live..no comparison...Sergio makes McCarron look like a hacker

I forgot how good McCarrons swing was nice find golf ball...my old coach teammate @ UCLA...Funny thing is both McCarron and Sergio don't suffer from tee to green its the flatstick that define there career. If I had to choose between either swing McCarrons by far more efficient quality teaching in there by the legendary Eddie M. The other has to much wine in there for me after good shots.

JuNiOR

Eight, I am perfectly aware that Garcia is a better player and ballstriker than McCarron (BTW, I agree completely with Iteachgolf's and Magnum's analyses), however, I like his swing visually better than Sergio's and I guess it would be easier (if one really wanted to) to make him swing closer to original post-secret Hogan than Garcia. Just this and nothing more. :)

Cheers

Eight, I am perfectly aware that Garcia is a better player and ballstriker than McCarron (BTW, I agree completely with Iteachgolf's and Magnum's analyses), however, I like his swing visually better than Sergio's and I guess it would be easier (if one really wanted to) to make him swing closer to original post-secret Hogan than Garcia. Just this and nothing more. :)

Cheers

Dariusz, that is why I don't think copy Hogan's swing, especially Visually, does not make you a better ball striker. You have to OWN your swing. The impact is the king...

Cheers,

Dariusz, that is why I don't think copy Hogan's swing, especially Visually, does not make you a better ball striker. You have to OWN your swing. The impact is the king...

Cheers,

Very true, Jay. The impact zone is the most important and what happens there. Less timing there and better allignments = greater ballstriking. That's why e.g. Furyk is such a good ballstriker, not because his swing is excellent, but his downswing, especially what happens with the clubface in the zone and how consistent he usually is really matters.

Cheers

Cheers,

Very true, Jay. The impact zone is the most important and what happens there. Less timing there and better allignments = greater ballstriking. That's why e.g. Furyk is such a good ballstriker, not because his swing is excellent, but his downswing, especially what happens with the clubface in the zone and how consistent he usually is really matters.

Cheers

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! If you study Sergio and Furyk only from hip high to hip high in the DTL view, they are virtually identical, which is exactly why they are both outstanding ballstrikers.

Dont be too sorry, just take another look at this video,

note especially the commentary, then give me a logical and well reasoned argument why Johhny Miller and I are both wrong!

Look at Chad's swing characteristics. He's not exactly Hogan, but very close.

Quick accelerating swing.

Low hands at the top.

Big wrist ****.

Short low plane swing.

Early hip move back.

Snap release whth the arms/hands.

Comes from Texas, where knowledge of Hogan is possibly strongest.

I'd say he was most likely a Hogan desciple.

Jim Furyk swings like Hogan? I cant see that. The only similarity is an early hip move and club position just before impact, everything else, especially plane of swing is completely different! IMHO

Dont be too sorry, just take another look at this video,

note especially the commentary, then give me a logical and well reasoned argument why Johhny Miller and I are both wrong!

Look at Chad's swing characteristics. He's not exactly Hogan, but very close.

Quick accelerating swing.

Low hands at the top.

Big wrist ****.

Short low plane swing.

Early hip move back.

Snap release whth the arms/hands.

Comes from Texas, where knowledge of Hogan is possibly strongest.

I'd say he was most likely a Hogan desciple.

Jim Furyk swings like Hogan? I cant see that. The only similarity is an early hip move and club position just before impact, everything else, especially plane of swing is completely different! IMHO

JP, you've chosen a very bad vid for a full comparison, yet even with this one it can be clearily seen than Campbell's swing principles starting from the set-up and ending with the entire biomechanics of the motion are different than Mr.Hogan's. There are some similarities but not many.

Better analyze those two vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O07VLH9DhmI...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJHRn9W6FQM...feature=related

Cheers

P.S. Nobody here said that Furyk's swing is similar to Hogan's. What was said is that both Furyk and Garcia are good ballstrikers because of their downswing characteristics.

Yes, about the Furyk thing, I was wrong about that. Didnt read the comment in context.

Nevertheless, those two additional videos dont alter my view that Campbell swings more like Hogan than any current Tour player. As I said, not exactly, but there are the beforementioned similarities and an overall sense of sameness about everything from the waggles to the acceleration in the swing. In fact, the first time I saw Campbell swing quite a few years ago now I remember thinking to myself that this guy was a Hogan disciple. It would be interesting to find any interviews he has given on whom, if anyone, he modelled his action.

As for biomechanics, well its lovely to make broad brush statements with non specific labels, but what specifically is so different that rules him out? Where are the differences and how singificant are they? I can see a few minor ones , one of which is that I think his preferred ball flight is a draw, but that doesn't change my view, and I doubt it would change the view of Johnny Miller, who has been paid by NBC is it? to analyse swings for at least 20 years now. With that much practice at it, maybe he just knows a thing or two, doncha think?

in context.

Nevertheless, those two additional videos dont alter my view that Campbell swings more like Hogan than any current Tour player. As I said, not exactly, but there are the beforementioned similarities and an overall sense of sameness about everything from the waggles to the acceleration in the swing. In fact, the first time I saw Campbell swing quite a few years ago now I remember thinking to myself that this guy was a Hogan disciple. It would be interesting to find any interviews he has given on whom, if anyone, he modelled his action.

As for biomechanics, well its lovely to make broad brush statements with non specific labels, but what specifically is so different that rules him out? Where are the differences and how singificant are they? I can see a few minor ones , one of which is that I think his preferred ball flight is a draw, but that doesn't change my view, and I doubt it would change the view of Johnny Miller, who has been paid by NBC is it? to analyse swings for at least 20 years now. With that much practice at it, maybe he just knows a thing or two, doncha think?

Here you are - the most important differences:

1. Differences in setup:

Campbell - low hands, narrow stance, strong RH grip, over-plane takeaway, sway of the hips

Hogan - high hands, wide diagonal stance, biokinetically correct grip, no sway of the hips

2. Differences at the top:

Completely different pelvis area motion and CoG shift resulting in further differences in the impact zone

3. Differences in the impact zone:

Campbell - shaft impact plane much above shaft address plane, much less open hips, shoulders not open at all, rear arm in front of the body, tush line lost, changes in the spine angle, lead knee joint straightened, lead heel in the air, etc. etc.

Hogan - shaft impact plane matches shaft address plane, open hips and upper body, perfectly maintained tush line, perfectly maintained rear arm bend, perfectly maintained spine angle, lead knee joint rotated, lead heel on the ground, etc., etc.

I think it's enough time to spend talking about Chad Campbell on the Hogan Forum - at least for me :)

Cheers