2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

To 3 or not to 3

Buy a 3-iron?
I'm 62 and just picking up the game again after a 40 year lay-off. I'm doing ok with my driver and putter, but not so good with a 3 or 4 hybid and even worse with any fairway woods. Since I am hitting fairly well with my irons (to my considerable surprise) I find myself wondering if I should get a 3 iron. My Callaway x-22 set started at the 4, which I hit quite nicely. I'm old, overweight and out of shape, so the distances aren't that great. But I'm working on those issues with weight training and flexibility excercises so I figure the distances will improve as I get in better shape. Since I am hitting the 4 well, better than a 4 hybrid, I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a 3 iron than a 3 hybrid.

Anyone out there using a 3 other than the very low handicappers?

PS - I love these x-22's. A nice clean hit has a clear sound and feel difference, but even the mis-hits typically aren't too bad.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you try to hit the hybrid like a fairway, or an iron? I don't carry a 3 because the hybrid is so much easier and longer. What hybrid do you have (brand/flex/length/etc) and where does it go? High/Low? Left/Right?

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D3) 18GF, 8GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Callaway Tour X

OP, had similar problem when I initially purchased 4Hybrid (Callaway 24*). Comfort comes with practice (i.e. driving range) and familiarity. I don't play the same course all the time, but none often enough to change set up to suit the course. Pulled 3I to add 4th wedge and 4I to add the hybrid. Rationale for wedge vs. long iron was realizing that wedge is more likely a scoring club. Have learned to use 4H for all those punch out of trouble Houdini shots that I had relied on 3 & 4I for in the past. Also, that hybrid is like cheating out of the rough and much more likely to do more than simply pitch to fairway as with short irons.

Odds are, since coming back from a 40 year layoff, you already have a three iron. The club makers are very sneaky and have been putting the number 4 on thier 3 irons for about the last 5 years. Im pretty sure the club you have that says PW is more like a 9 iron than the wedge you would have played with.

I'm 62 and just picking up the game again after a 40 year lay-off. I'm doing ok with my driver and putter, but not so good with a 3 or 4 hybid and even worse with any fairway woods. Since I am hitting fairly well with my irons (to my considerable surprise) I find myself wondering if I should get a 3 iron. My Callaway x-22 set started at the 4, which I hit quite nicely. I'm old, overweight and out of shape, so the distances aren't that great. But I'm working on those issues with weight training and flexibility excercises so I figure the distances will improve as I get in better shape. Since I am hitting the 4 well, better than a 4 hybrid, I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a 3 iron than a 3 hybrid.

Anyone out there using a 3 other than the very low handicappers?

PS - I love these x-22's. A nice clean hit has a clear sound and feel difference, but even the mis-hits typically aren't too bad.

You're unique compared to most in your situation and condition... congratulations for jumping back in this crazy game. I am 60 and still carry my long irons including 2 iron. So, I guess it could said I am partial to them over hybrids (I own one but it sets in the garage;-) For me, hybrids come with to much dispersion.

Anyways, if you have patience and you're sticking with the workout regime, you'll be getting stronger then maybe you should consider buying one.

What anyone needs to keep in mind regarding hitting long irons proficiently is we need to be strong, and then how far can the person carry them. Another consideration is 4 is close to 5 iron which is the standard iron used for testing because of it's length, that could be why you're doing well with the 4i and might mislead you regarding 3 iron. Of course, it all depends on the 3 irons head design. Once again keep at it. :clapping:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I'm a good long iron player but I'm thinking of dropping the 3 from my bag. The hybrid is just easier to hit. Whereas I might not shoot for a tight pin from a mediocre lie with a 3 iron, I'm much more confident trying that shot w/ a 3 hybrid b/c my bad shots aren't going to be nearly as bad. I definitely lose some workability, especially real trouble shots where I need to go super low, but I still carry a 4 iron so it's not a giant loss. Realistically, you have pretty damn good with the long irons to start thinking of shaping shots into pins at 220-230+.

Do you try to hit the hybrid like a fairway, or an iron?

Basically treat it like an iron

What hybrid do you have (brand/flex/length/etc) and where does it go? High/Low? Left/Right?

I have two hybrids, a 3 and a 4 (21* & 24*), both are Callaway FT draw with the standard regular flex shaft. (my irons are also regular flex graphite) I've been away from the game so long I am, for all practical purposes, a beginner. As such, I certainly have more than my share of mis-hits. (and the occasional perfect ball strike that goes the wrong direction because I carefully lined up in the wrong direction). With the irons, the mis-hits are not catastrophic. I'm not topping it, shanking it or otherwise majorly screwing up, it's typically smaller errors in form due to inexperience and lack of practice and sheer number of swings. But overall I'm doing far, far better than I expected with all the irons. Last weekend on four par threes at four different distances with four different irons, I landed on the green three times and the fourth was pin high, but I mis-hit it a bit and pulled it just to the left of the green. I'm also doing well with them off the fairway and in the rough.

The hybids are another story. I treat them like an iron, but I sure don't seem to hit them like an iron. Not catastropic misses, but no consistancy and very few decent hits.

First problem is getting them up in the air. I'm hitting down on the ball like I do with the irons. Ball position with the 4H is the same as the 4 iron, but the launch is way lower.

Second problem is direction. From a moderate hook to a moderate slice, and everything in between, although left predominates. Clearly treating them like an iron just isn't the answer.

So, any suggestions?

The hybids are another story. I treat them like an iron, but I sure don't seem to hit them like an iron. Not catastropic misses, but no consistancy and very few decent hits.

First problem is getting them up in the air. I'm hitting down on the ball like I do with the irons. Ball position with the 4H is the same as the 4 iron, but the launch is way lower.

Second problem is direction. From a moderate hook to a moderate slice, and everything in between, although left predominates. Clearly treating them like an iron just isn't the answer.

So, any suggestions?

If you're hitting down on the ball as you say and facing hooks, that's odd. Hybrid heads are designed to get the ball up and typically come with matched shafts. It's odd because usually someone that struggles getting the ball up doesn't hook the ball; they hit low slices with no distance. If you're unable to get them up in the air I'd say it's due to the shaft profile not matching your swing/SS.

If you want to stay with hybrids, I'd get fitted for them.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Do you try to hit the hybrid like a fairway, or an iron?

Basically treat it like an iron

What hybrid do you have (brand/flex/length/etc) and where does it go? High/Low? Left/Right?

I have two hybrids, a 3 and a 4 (21* & 24*), both are Callaway FT draw with the standard regular flex shaft. (my irons are also regular flex graphite) I've been away from the game so long I am, for all practical purposes, a beginner. As such, I certainly have more than my share of mis-hits. (and the occasional perfect ball strike that goes the wrong direction because I carefully lined up in the wrong direction). With the irons, the mis-hits are not catastrophic. I'm not topping it, shanking it or otherwise majorly screwing up, it's typically smaller errors in form due to inexperience and lack of practice and sheer number of swings. But overall I'm doing far, far better than I expected with all the irons. Last weekend on four par threes at four different distances with four different irons, I landed on the green three times and the fourth was pin high, but I mis-hit it a bit and pulled it just to the left of the green. I'm also doing well with them off the fairway and in the rough.

So, any suggestions?

I agree with the suggestions others have made.

Move the ball position a ball forward and see what happens.

Make a slightly shallower swing. Still take a small divot in front of the ball.

Get some impact tape and find out where you're hitting it. When you hit it square, which it sounds like it may be kind of inconsistent, where does it go? Straight/left/right?

Lastly, if all else fails you may need the same flex shaft in a softer tip and/or lower kick design. If you can't get enough swing speed you may need a lighter shaft than the Fuji Fit-on M that's about 70g or is it the older FT with the 80g Fuji stock shaft?

Hope this helps.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D3) 18GF, 8GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Callaway Tour X