2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

When To Change To Graphite Shafts?

I just turned 60 and have tennis elbow. I have 90-95 driver swing speed and like 80-100 gram shafts in my irons. Some say graphite will help tennis elbow because of less vibrations; i think less weight may help also.

I'm debating changing and if i wasn't watching my spending would just buy an extra set in graphite and give it a trial period.

When did you change to graphite? Did it take time to adjust?Did it help your tendinitis?Did it effect your scoring?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made the switch to graphite 2 years ago (I'm 51) due to back problems. The lighter clubs helped tremendously, allowing me to play regularly. Lots of players over 50 have made the switch. I hit my irons as well or better with graphite.

I developed tennis elbow a few months ago despite the graphite shafts. In addiition to or as an alternative to graphite, things you can do to protect the elbow: grips (such as Lamkin Stingfree or DD2) shaft inserts (e.g. Pro-soft) glove (Bionic) and wearing a counterforce brace (e.g., Band-It or Epitrain).

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

You might want to see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_elbow, and..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golfer%27s_elbow

The 'treatment' of Golfer's Elbow seems more positive than any of the Tennis Elbow treatments.

Personally, I've never suffered from this, although I played lots of table-tennis in my youth. The only club in my bag that has a graphite shaft, is the driver - simply because it came that way ('The Perfect Driver') and the only thing that's stopping me playing more golf (at age 71) is today's cost of playing :-)

We've all at some time, have hit an iron off grass, only to find rock just below the surface, and the tingling feeling troughout the arm. I've lots of other medical problems, but not this one - sorry I can't be of more help.

When did you change to graphite? Did it take time to adjust?Did it help your tendinitis?Did it effect your scoring?

There will some adjustment peroid as graphite shafted irons generally go a little farther than steel.

I have a set of graphite shafted irons I use when I practice. I still use steel to play but practice with graphite because they are so much better/easier on the joints than the steel shafts.

Yes is helped with tendinitis and after a couple of games of getting used to the distance changes it won't make any difference in scoring.

I'm buying a new set of irons with nippon steel shafts to replace my graphite shafted irons. Hope this isn't a mistake but I want more accuracy than I'm getting from the graphites. That has to be the problem doesn't it ? : - ) The nippons are between the conventional steel shaft and graphite as far as weight and are supposed to be softer feeling than regular steel. Two rounds and 1 range session has produced no new aches yet. I'm keeping my graphites though.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched from Mizuno MX20's with s300 steel shafts to a set of Callaways with stiff graphite shafts 2 years ago, due to tendonitis in my left arm. After some research, and 2 years of not fully confident swings with the Callaways, I bought a set of Mizuno MX19's last December. They have Dynalite Gold SL regular flex steel shafts, and I am playing pain free, and could not be happier with my irons. I agree with the earlier poster about lighter weight and softer flex in steel shafts making as much a difference as switching to graphite.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Have you been trying/demoing graphite shafted irons yet?

First find out if you like graphite compared to steel...

There are alternatives in regards to reducing the vibration for your tennis elbow...

-Some type of rubber plug in the butt end of the shaft &...

-They make some grips which are good at reducing vibration...

I'm 50 with some history of elbow tendinitis. I had good luck by adding the cushin inserts into my steel iron shafts, when I last purchased new irons over a year ago. I also changed my long irons to graphite shafted hybrids. I'm staying away from graphite in the irons, for now, due to concern with loss of accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see: I've had four shoulder surgeries, arthritis in both shoulders with tendonitis, golfer's elbow (not just one, but both), and arthritis in both thumbs. My last couple of sets have been graphite shafts, because that was the recommendation with all my woes, but I still haven't found a set that I had as much confidence in as I did with steel. The Dynalite SLs feel a bit heavy to me (after about 10 holes, the shoulders and elbows start to ache (and I've tried the elbow band with limited impact). Despite the pain and such, I'm thinking about going back to steel, probably the Nippon 85s (the TT 75s felt too "loose" in the tip area). I'm heading down to the TMPL at Reynolds Plantation next week for a session and I'll ask those guys what they think (hopefully, the words "I think you ought to quit" won't come out).

I have similar swing as you, and am 60. Had elbow tendonitis flaring up in both arms the last 3 years. Went to graphite shafts 6 months ago and haven't looked back. My game has actually improved, not afraid to really go after the ball now. Went with a 95g shaft, stiff, and didn't really take much adjustment. I highly recommend graphite shafts for elbow pain. I still wear a strap on my right forearm, just in case.

xxio Prime 11.5
Cobra Baffler Rail 5W, 7W Motore R flex
Cobra Baffler Rail 4h, 5h  "
Ping ie-1 5-PW Steelfiber i70 S flex 
Ping i210 U 50*
PIng G25 S 54*

SCOR 58

Guerin Rife 2 Bar Hybrid 37"
Srixon Q Star Tour

Two items. First, golfers elbow, medial tendinitis, unllike tennis elbow, rarely comes from the elbow but rather is referred pain from the shoulder and back muscles, particularly the infraspinatus and serratus posterior inferior. This is why a strap works very well on tennis elbow but not on golfer's elbow.

Second, I would take a look at Nippon Steel shafts which are very vibration resistant and very light, now go down to 750 grams and are high launching which is great for slower swing speeds. They will play far better than any graphite shaft and are less expensive, but not by much.

Two items. First, golfers elbow, medial tendinitis, unllike tennis elbow, rarely comes from the elbow but rather is referred pain from the shoulder and back muscles, particularly the infraspinatus and serratus posterior inferior. This is why a strap works very well on tennis elbow but not on golfer's elbow.

Second, I would take a look at Nippon Steel shafts which are very vibration resistant and very light, now go down to 750 grams and are high launching which is great for slower swing speeds. They will play far better than any graphite shaft and are less expensive, but not by much.

Thx. for the info. I'd probably go with the 85 gram Nippon in "R" flex. Didn't like the 75 gram TT after trying it. Now on the golfer's elbow thing; I wouldn't question your knowledge about it; all I know is that when I touch the inside and outside "bony" part of the elbow joint on both arms, it hurts. And you're right, the band doesn't help at all. And...I never played tennis.

58 YO, have had tennis and golfers elbow in both arms over the years and have had frozen shoulders (both sides).

I played with Graphite for a few years but didn't care for them. I'm back to DG R300's and loving it. I did pro Prosoft Inserts in the shafts and am using golf pride DD2 grips. Also I find that practicing on thos hard mats at some ranges can aggravating just about any injury.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm 50 with some history of elbow tendinitis. I had good luck by adding the cushin inserts into my steel iron shafts, when I last purchased new irons over a year ago. I also changed my long irons to graphite shafted hybrids. I'm staying away from graphite in the irons, for now, due to concern with loss of accuracy.

I have been reading this discussion because I am considering changing my iron shafts to graphite due to hand and wrist problems that I am convinced it is due to vibration, harshness, etc of the shafts. I play Ping G2 HL with CS lite R flex and the cushin insert and have Midsize Lamkin Crossline grips. My hands and wrist get really beat up with full swings with the irons specially now that I had started playing and practicing more. Although I am going to make some changes to my practice from now on (dont hit more than one bucket a day, practice chipping even more instead) I do notice that with my woods and hybrids that have graphite I dont feel they affect my hands/wrist/elbow so much. I hit off grass 90% of the time probably when at the range.

One of of the things that got me thinking is this claim for loss of accuracy with graphite but I do know most women play graphite and I have played with a couple that are pretty accurate with irons while having graphite on everything including wedges.

Can you guys elaborate a little more on what is behind this claim?

Also are there any significant loss/gain of distance with graphite?

and last, how do you go about selecting graphite shaft to use in terms of weight, flex, ball fight. I can probably sell my irons for as much as I paid and get a new set of G5s but it might be cheaper to just replace the shafts and keep the G2s that I like.

Peace

• 2 weeks later...

This is all pretty interesting based on what just happened to me.

After a 10 year layoff I'm getting back into the game. After trying out a number of brands, I settled on Nickent 4DX CB's with the 3 and 4 hybrids having graphite shafts and the 5 - PW having unisteel. I get them on ebay and pay about half price and the clubs arrive today. Argggh!!! All graphite, the seller definitely goofed!! I consider maybe keeping them but just can't warm up to the "look" of a graphite shaft on an iron, as stupid as that sounds (I'm fine with them on the hybrids). I could go down to the local golf shop and pick up the set I wanted for $600.00, but now I'm cringing at that thought. Being in a rush (I'm playing in a tournament Sunday), I scour ebay and low and behold, I find someone selling a new set of steel-shafted 4DXs, 5 - PW!! I buy them figuring I'll sell the graphites the same way.

THEN.....I read a couple threads like this. I have pretty regular tendonitis in my left elbow and I feel mild to moderate pain with every swing. Now I'm second-guessing the steels! I suppose I could justify keeping both and comparing, but I am i high-handicapper and that is hard to do. But it may make the most sense, considering I have still spent less in total than had I bought the set in the store!!

I'd be curious on opinions.....

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll be 58 at the end of this year. A couple of months ago I dug out the old clubs and hit a few after a long long time. When I got hooked again I "modernized" my irons and found a used set with graphite shafts.

I have used my son’s exact clubs but with steel shafts and I will say that I think steel shafts seem to offer more control and confidence hitting the shot. Hard to describe, but it is a combination of weight and a solid feel. But I can certainly feel the difference. The graphite is much less jarring even when hitting good clean shots with the steel shafts.

Now in all fairness the set I bought has senior flex shafts, but they don’t seem much different than the TaylorMade regular graphites my other son has. Maybe a little more flex but nothing like a regular flex to a ladies flex.

I hit 50 to 100 limited flight balls every day or so and play a round or so a week. Even with the flexible graphite my hands will hurt, so I can’t see myself going back to steel.

John

... if you are ready (assuming you have DG's)... the progression to less strain might be DGsl's, nippons and then high quality graphite (which will cost at least $50 per club)... there are trade offs of course and I would suggest you pay attention to flex... I have played and have be delighted with GAT 95, Steelfiber, nippon 970/950 and the shafts I use now with r300 flex.. they are advantages and trade-offs regarding aches and pains vs accuracy... going to a more GI head will also help to ease the damage done by vibration.. I have not tried sensicore but it seems reasonable that it would be beneficial as well... also had some fancy tour issued PING Raptures with i5 offset and i5's with some ust tour graphite that were OK+, but the stock graphite I have tried from Callaway and PING has been very unpredictable with balls flyin all over the darn place...TT also has some DG lite and dynalite sl that might do the trick.. softer grips help as well...

[quote name='leoh923' post='1702212' date='May 17 2009, 07:51 AM']I switched from Mizuno MX20's with s300 steel shafts to a set of Callaways with stiff graphite shafts 2 years ago, due to tendonitis in my left arm. After some research, and 2 years of not fully confident swings with the Callaways, I bought a set of Mizuno MX19's last December. They have Dynalite Gold SL regular flex steel shafts, and I am playing pain free, and could not be happier with my irons. I agree with the earlier poster about lighter weight and softer flex in steel shafts making as much a difference as switching to graphite.[/quote]

I was wrong, after a few months with the light weight steel shafts, the tendonitis has started to return, and pain in the hands and joints has gotten worse. Picked up a set of X20's, with stiff graphite, low torque, mid kick shafts 3 weeks ago, and am playing pain free again. I think the shafts in the Berthas I had were just not a good match to my swing, as the X20's perform wonderfully, and I have all the confidence in the world in the accuracy of these irons.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has been 3 months with the regular graphite fusions and I am coming back to steel. The club was too light and soft and I hit my son's G5's with stiff CS lites much better. A heavy graphite in stiff could be a good solution, however you can special order th G5's for under $400. Plan to go with AWT stiff with the cushin insert and possibly Lamkin Stingfree grips.

[quote name='weten2' post='1907801' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:07 PM']Well it has been 3 months with the regular graphite fusions and I am coming back to steel. The club was too light and soft and I hit my son's G5's with stiff CS lites much better. A heavy graphite in stiff could be a good solution, however you can special order th G5's for under $400. Plan to go with AWT stiff with the cushin insert and possibly Lamkin Stingfree grips.[/quote]

Do you have details on the special order pricing? How much per club?

I switched to graphite about 5 years ago and it was an adjustment. I did not do it for medical reasons. My 'swing' for irons just fell apart and I switched to see if that would help.

I have never been sorry because I can use the distance I get from them. I have re-worked my swing to where I was about 8 years ago and find accuracy goes with he Indian, not the arrow. ;-)

I really like the Taylormade Burner 2008s in graphite. They are easy to hit with a nice trajectory.

I am 62 and walk often (for medical reasons) and carry my clubs so the light weight is a great extra. =)
maverick
BTW, I cannot chip with them so I use my steel shafted wedges all the time.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='Rudders' post='1735826' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:47 AM'][quote name='Bobcat 2' post='1733925' date='Jun 3 2009, 01:20 PM']Two items. First, golfers elbow, medial tendinitis, unllike tennis elbow, rarely comes from the elbow but rather is referred pain from the shoulder and back muscles, particularly the infraspinatus and serratus posterior inferior. This is why a strap works very well on tennis elbow but not on golfer's elbow.
Second, I would take a look at Nippon Steel shafts which are very vibration resistant and very light, now go down to 750 grams and are high launching which is great for slower swing speeds. They will play far better than any graphite shaft and are less expensive, but not by much.[/quote]

Thx. for the info. I'd probably go with the 85 gram Nippon in "R" flex. Didn't like the 75 gram TT after trying it. Now on the golfer's elbow thing; I wouldn't question your knowledge about it; all I know is that when I touch the inside and outside "bony" part of the elbow joint on both arms, it hurts. And you're right, the band doesn't help at all. And...I never played tennis.
[/quote]

Better late than never...I got a couple of 85 gram Nippons in "R" flex. Put one in my 8-iron. Can't explain what a great feeling the shaft provides. A better ball flight, straighter and a little more distance. Will be pulling the YSQ-HLs out of the other irons and re-shafting the entire set.

[quote name='weten2' post='1934098' date='Sep 4 2009, 05:50 PM']Two posts on another topic said Nippon's are soft but are no where near the graphite in shock absorption even with Pro Soft inserts. Anyone compare the two and agree?[/quote]

Can't fully answer your question, but my planned change is for feel, not shock absorption.