Srixon X-Star X sort of review

freedom35

Well, I heard all the hype in here and decided to give Srixon's new offering a whirl. I then checked out the Srixon website and decided that the X would be the better version. Then, I found a FlightScope monitor and pounded a few of the premiums with the driver to get an idea before the season started up here. I ended up hitting the following balls in all: Z-Star X, Cally ix, B330, 2007 ProV1x, Nike Tour D. Ball spin results ordered the balls from low to high as follows:

Oh yeah, driver swing speed is 105-108 with resulting ball speeds of 155-160

Z-Star X (averaged 2600rpm with best at 2200)

Cally ix

Nike Tour D

B330 (high 3000s)

2007 ProV1x (had some shots that topped 4000 rpm)

So, out to the course I went. I should preface the following by saying I've only played 3 rounds and only one of those days was all that nice. Some greens haven't had their grass grow in all that well and it's been plenty windy all 3 times out.

Overall, the Z-Star X is a pretty good ball. Good distance, stops well with iron shots. It's a bit firm, but that hasn't bothered me much. Rolls true on the green and very durable (only way I could tell which ball was new and which had 18 holes on it was by the fading of the sharpie dots I mark my balls with). But I have found a couple of things I don't like. I've found that it balloons pretty substantially off the driver into the wind and that sidespin can get a bit crazy. Also, around the green it doesn't check up quite as quickly as I would like it to.

I'm thinking that the Z-Star might be a better option for me at the moment. I'm wondering if a little less spin might keep the ballooning and sidespin under control and that the softer cover might be a bit friendlier around the green. Honestly, what I'm looking for is something similar to the TM Red off the tee, but with more check around the green. From what I've read in here, the Z-Star might have that. I'll give it a go and let you guys know.

Wayne

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I heard all the hype in here and decided to give Srixon's new offering a whirl. I then checked out the Srixon website and decided that the X would be the better version. Then, I found a FlightScope monitor and pounded a few of the premiums with the driver to get an idea before the season started up here. I ended up hitting the following balls in all: Z-Star X, Cally ix, B330, 2007 ProV1x, Nike Tour D. Ball spin results ordered the balls from low to high as follows:

Cally ix

Nike Tour D

B330 (high 3000s)

So, out to the course I went. I should preface the following by saying I've only played 3 rounds and only one of those days was all that nice. Some greens haven't had their grass grow in all that well and it's been plenty windy all 3 times out.

Overall, the Z-Star X is a pretty good ball. Good distance, stops well with iron shots. It's a bit firm, but that hasn't bothered me much. Rolls true on the green and very durable (only way I could tell which ball was new and which had 18 holes on it was by the fading of the sharpie dots I mark my balls with). But I have found a couple of things I don't like. I've found that it balloons pretty substantially off the driver into the wind and that sidespin can get a bit crazy. Also, around the green it doesn't check up quite as quickly as I would like it to.

I'm thinking that the Z-Star might be a better option for me at the moment. I'm wondering if a little less spin might keep the ballooning and sidespin under control and that the softer cover might be a bit friendlier around the green. Honestly, what I'm looking for is something similar to the TM Red off the tee, but with more check around the green. From what I've read in here, the Z-Star might have that. I'll give it a go and let you guys know.

Wayne

These are the exact balls I want to test on the course!! I have come to love the 2007 ProV1x in distance, iron performance (sometimes spins too much on wedge shots), greenside spin, and putter feel. Do you have any side b side remarks concerning the ProV1x vs. the Z-Star X, the B330, or the One Tour? I have ruled out the iX because of the terrible feel I get around and on the greens.

Cally ix

Nike Tour D

B330 (high 3000s)

Wayne

These are the exact balls I want to test on the course!! I have come to love the 2007 ProV1x in distance, iron performance (sometimes spins too much on wedge shots), greenside spin, and putter feel. Do you have any side b side remarks concerning the ProV1x vs. the Z-Star X, the B330, or the One Tour? I have ruled out the iX because of the terrible feel I get around and on the greens.

Don't have any side by side remarks. Once I saw the numbers that FlightScope was giving me, I knocked the other balls out because of their excessive high driver spin.

I went back today to pit the Z-Star against the Z-Star X. Backspin wise, there wasn't a huge difference between the two - probably not enough to be statistically significant. However, sidespin was lower with the Star and launch angle was about 2* lower (16* to 14* - this would seem to explain the ballooning into the wind with the driver). Monitor suggested that the Star was slightly longer off the driver. Also seemed that the X punished bad swings more severely than the Star, which would explain some of the results I've seen with the X on the course. So, based on this, it would appear that the Star is a better fit for me in this area.

Now, I'll be looking for a bit more greenside spin and I'll be set. I like the feel of the Star off the putter, so that won't hurt. I'm hoping to get out this weekend and will provide more feedback if/when I do.

Be interested to see what your numbers are for a TM red ldp and Zstar into the wind. Visually, I am finding that the TM is a lower flight ball if the shot is straight into the wind so I would be interested to see if you confirm this or otherwise.

Good review, looks like I won't bother trying the Zstar-X.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I'm a 6.7 Handi with a SS north of 105 and have been looking for a new ball ever since the stopped making the 3 piece B330-s.

I took a sleeve of Z star's, Z star X's, and the New B330 and did a side by side comparison on 3 holes at my home course.

Oh I almost forgot I did get to play a full round with the X's on a course I've never played.

Results:

Distance: B330 and X's where pretty much right there in terms of length, the Z star was only a pace or two back.

Accuracy: X's fly super straight off the tee I hit almost every fairway, B330 and Star I only used on two holes with the driver and where pretty straight as well, not too much side spin that I could see or feel.

Spin off the Irons: Z star spun really good even out of the rough, the X star and B330 where actually pretty good I think I give the edge to the X. Since I hit a 6 iron to a green from the rough and hit and checked right away.

Feel: Z star was super nice off the irons and putter. Too me very similar to the ProV1, but better off the tee. The B330 is ok, and the X star is like a top flight. I put with a gauge design with NO insert and it made an annoying click off the putts. Took some time to get use to.

All in all I like the overall feel of the Z star I did lose a couple of yards off the tee, but worth it overall.

I'll see how it performs on a full 18 at my home course.