2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Looking For Courses (New To The Area)

krs1pitt

Philadelphia / King Of Prussia / Main Line Area
Just moved out to the general philly area from long island and with the season starting up and I dont know of any courses where I'd be able to play. I've been spoiled by belonging to a country club and all the state owned courses in NY (i.e., Bethpage courses) that I've never faced this problem before. Of course the occasional invites to country clubs will suffice but until I join one I need to find some public courses to play. If anyone in the general area knows of some or possibly a site that is fairly reliable for finding courses I would greatly appreciate it. I work in Fort Washington and live in Devon, mileage is not a factor so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My future wife lives in the area and I have played many rounds around the outskirts of Philly, mainly staying in PA. check out Tattersall, Hartefeld (maybe completely private now, I only played it once and it was the day after the Exelon Tournament that Furyk runs, all I have to say is WOW), Glen Mills, and my favorite Wyncote. Turtle Creek is a good course for the cost out there as well. You can also check out some of the Jersey courses close to Philly, the only two that I know of are Scottland Run, never palyed, and Riverwinds. Riverwinds is kind cool since it is right on the Delaware River, really windy in the spring. I should know of more in Jersey but I live over in Monmouth County on the beach so I stick to the munis. Good luck with those, they may cost some money but they are definitely some of the best out there.

Doug

In the immediate area, you can try Jeffersonville Golf Club in Phoenixville. It's a very inexpensive Donald Ross layout that's always meticulously maintained.

Turtle Creek is good if you like Links-style (or "American Farmland style) golf, and my friend all rave about Bella Vista. Just stay away from the 6 Philly munis. Except for John Byrne, they're all very poorly maintained, because they have no money and the local kids vandalize the courses almost daily.

Here's a pretty good link for you: http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/co...ists/joe_logan/

If you scroll down, Joe Logan (the golf writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer) has reviewed dozens and dozens of courses in the general area. His reviews are generally spot-on.

Hope that helps. If you're ever interested in pairing up with a high handicapper who plays for fun, PM me. I'm playing McCullough's Emerald tomorrow, near A/C. I'll let you know how it is.

Bella Vista (Very Nice)

Turtle Creek (Demanding 1/2 links, 1/2 American style track)

Linfield National (shooting gallery, short yardage but well kept)

Hickory Valley (2 courses available, presidential is best of the 2)

French Creek (pristine)

Tattersal (great course, better views)

Pickering Valley

Westover

Skippack (Hidden Gem, fast greens)

Glenn Mills (PGA quality)

Ravensclaw

Blackwood

Cobbs Creek

Juniata

Iron Hill (Must play)

Honeybrook (Peaceful, top choice)

Island Green (well above average links style)

Center Valley

Spring Hollow (so so)

I could go on for days, most of these are well within 45 minutes from Devon up US 422, US 202 or Route 30 North and West

Check this site: PA Golf Courses

I live in King of Prussia and work in Wayne/Malvern and had the same dilemma, there are boat load of courses in Montgomery County, more private than Pub or Muni but still plenty to choose from.

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

You don't know how lucky you are. Montgomery county has more golf courses per square mile than Myrtle Beach. Turle Creek is always in great shape and has some fun holes. Bella Vista also always in great shape an they have a island green par 3. Wyncote is a great track. a new one in lower salford, Lederach Golf club, I hear is supposed to be very nice. Ravens Claw in pottstown/Limerick just got some good write ups.Send me an email or pm if you are ever looking for somewhere or someone to play with. I don't live to far from Devon, I am in Gilbertsville.

Im a member at hartefeld, and that is a great course. It is private now so you would need to get a membership but it is definatly worth it. They have great people there and a great practice facility. Not to mention a course that has hosted Fuyrks Excelon tourny for a while. So you know its good. The practice facility is what i love since im young and always working on being better, they have a great range and behind that they have a short game range ( a GINORMOUS green with numerous flags to work on chipping. Also tehre are a few bunkers near it to) and a wedge range ( this range has about 15 flags ranging from 25 yards to 100). A top notch practice facility.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm on the border of chester and montgomerie counties. I havn't played any of the private clubs :friends: but I have been to White Manor three times. One of the pro's there (i believe head pro) Bob Kramer is an excellent instructor. I can say that their range is nice.

On the public side,

My favorite is Lederach, only a couple years old and a few spots of ground repair, but all in all this course is in great shape. I wish i lived closer to there. Look out for #12 630 uphill.

Played Linfield National two weeks ago, course is in good shape. Holes are fairly close together. They have a new 16th and 17th hole that are in ok shape. The holes play shorter than the scorecard says.

Pickering Valley is in good shape too, Lots of hills, not that long. I drive by this every day to work but i havn't played the back 9 in years.

Over in Norristown Shannondell and Jeffersonville are two nice courses. I think they are benefitting from a huge new retirement living complex dumping more $'s into the courses.

Last time i played Raven's Claw (last year) it wasn't in great shape. Not big on the design there either.

Turtle Creek is a nice course been a few years, but I might schedule that for the first week of July.

Kimberton is another good course, nothing fancy nor terribly long.

Basically there are lots of courses around, it just depends on how much $'s you have to spend.

• 9 months later...

Your recommendation for this course is a few years old, I don't know if you've been there recently but I would not suggest ANYONE go to this place. The course seems to have fallen into disrepair and they staffed the course with incompetents.

At least they can't ruin the views from the course, though the entire experience is sorely needing an upgrade where a 100% staff turnover would be a good place to start.

Your recommendation for this course is a few years old, I don't know if you've been there recently but I would not suggest ANYONE go to this place. The course seems to have fallen into disrepair and they staffed the course with incompetents.

At least they can't ruin the views from the course, though the entire experience is sorely needing an upgrade where a 100% staff turnover would be a good place to start.

The course has changed hands in the last 2 years and is now called Broad Run. I played it last year and it was not in bad shape and I have to agree with this post regarding the staff......let's just say they were not the most helpful group of individuals I have ever met.

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived about 5 minutes from Glen Mills since my wife and I moved here 3 years ago. I can't count the number of times I've played there, and it remains by far my favorite track in the area. Conditions, aesthetics, challenge, and overall quality of golf beat the hell out of plenty of private courses in the area. Don't miss it.

Other places worth playing to the SW of Philly are Broad Run, Wyncote, and Inniscrone.

You'll find that this area has some great golf.

• 2 weeks later...
Other places worth playing to the SW of Philly are Broad Run

Broad Run/Tattersall is the same course, IIRC.

Have you played there recently? I did last fall, it was a bad experience all around. Poor condition, staffed with incompetents...save your money and play somewhere else unless they had 100% staff turnover last off-season.

JMO...

The last time I played there was last summer. I had played there about a year before that and the course was in terrible condition (greens were awful). I guess they were bought by some outfit out of Dallas and improved things. However, if things are as you say they were in the Fall, then maybe they've tanked again. If so, that's a real shame as it is a great piece of property.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...