2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

CHEATING is absolutly rediculous!

plz read: my rant for the day
i resently have read a distubing post soporting cheating! this makes me very furious. cheating is the easiest way to judge someone....if you can trust them to keep an honest score how can you trust them with something inportant! cheating is simply stupid if you have to cheat to be good at something why do it. it takes sooooooooo much away from the game when you get beat or find someone cheating. for me it is easy if you cheat i will not assosiate w/ u it is that simple.

thats my 2 cents

thx for reading my dayly rant and plz post your disagrements with me i will be glad to debate this w/ you

p.s. let keep this a cleen (debate?) or topic i dont want to cause a problem for the mods.

mods plz pm me if i got out of hand here and i will edit what needs to be changed i just felt this needed to be addressed.

-andrew

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you completely and didnt know what I was saying earlier for I didnt mean to agree with Flom. I dont support cheating at all and that is why I was made the post in the first place and to see what other people thought about it. I felt out of line and embarressed and do not agree with cheating in any way. Again, I agree with you that it takes away from the game and think you are right.

If I am playing with someone and they aren't counting drops or are moving their ball out of bad lies, or playing from OB I don't care. It's not affecting me or my game and they can do whatever makes them happy. It's only a game after all. There are more important things in life.

BUT If a person's cheating meant they beat me or someone else in a competition then I would let the person know I don't approve. If the officials are doing their job properly they'll bust him, I wouldn't go and tell tales.

That brings up another whole debate.

Say you ar eplaying in a competitive round (CLub C etc.) and you see another player give himself a "preferred" lie.

What do you do??

Do you confront the player ?? Do you tell an official??? Do you let it go??

What is he is a close friend/golfing buddy vs. a player you may not know??

C'mon guys lets make this a good one!!!

Say you ar eplaying in a competitive round (CLub C etc.) and you see another player give himself a "preferred" lie.

What do you do??

As I said, I would definately let the player know that I'm on to him, hopefully that would stop it but I would hope that the officials would catch him. If it turned out that he ended up doing well in the tournament then I would tell an official.

What do you do??

this has happend to me in a few tourneys... when the player tells me the wrong score on one hole i bring it up to him and we fix it, its usualy a mistake. when the player is cheating every other hole he will be dqed by me! the one time that sticks out the most is in the butch harmon tour. we were playing lake las vegas reflection bay. i was pair with a close friend and this other kid who was cheating every hole.....he would shave one stroke off of every hole and tell me that score. he came in with a 76 instead of 90 something and was going to finish 2cd if i sign his score card. he was eventualy dqed after playing dumb for a wile anf finaly fested up. they award 2 places w/ trophys and my friend got second (was third after losing a scorecard playoff w/ the cheater) istead of that dush burger. i finist one behind him. :)

What do you do??

Do the Rules of Golf address what a player must do if he/she witnesses another player's violation of a rule? What section addresses this?

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Com' on, anybody who's cheating needs to be spoken to. That goes without saying.

Quick story you guys might like.

My brother back in the 80s was playing in a National Jr. Tournament out in Ohio. (he has won the local tournament and made it to the nationals, He was 16 at the time and actually met Duval at the nationals in Ohio), but anyway. The 1st hole of the tournament , he was very nervous , after hitting his tee shot in the fway, he goes up to his ball without even thinking and rolls it over. (not intending to cheat , he said he just wasn't even thinking). An official in the rough (a local pro) saw the entire thing and called a 1 shot penalty on my brother. Here is where the story gets a cool twist. .. Wouldn't you know a year later (back at home about 2 thousand miles away), that pro who called the shot on my brother , ends up traveling East and gets a job at the same club we are working at. The two unite and we become good friends with the pro over the next couple of years. Don't you love this game. I thought that was so cool.

...In that survey, commissioned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts, 82% of 401 high-ranking corporate executives admit to being less than honest on the golf course...

---USA Today

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

What do you do??

this has happend to me in a few tourneys... when the player tells me the wrong score on one hole i bring it up to him and we fix it, its usualy a mistake. when the player is cheating every other hole he will be dqed by me! the one time that sticks out the most is in the butch harmon tour. we were playing lake las vegas reflection bay. i was pair with a close friend and this other kid who was cheating every hole.....he would shave one stroke off of every hole and tell me that score. he came in with a 76 instead of 90 something and was going to finish 2cd if i sign his score card. he was eventualy dqed after playing dumb for a wile anf finaly fested up. they award 2 places w/ trophys and my friend got second (was third after losing a scorecard playoff w/ the cheater) istead of that dush burger. i finist one behind him. :)

Are you kidding me? This is the kind of stuff that happens in the inaugural year of the Buth Harmon Tour? I have never heard of this kind of stuff on more established mini tours. Not that I am so naive to think that no cheating goes on on the Hooters or Gateway tours (examples only), but not at the level of affecting the top finishers. Ridiculous.

As pointed out earlier, why cheat all the time when you are never going to get better. But if it makes the game more enjoyable for those that don't count OBs, take generous drops or whatever, I don't care if there is no money or other competition on the line.

Golf brings out the character of a person. I've known the true character of my friends by playing golf with them. Some of them are no longer my friends. They cheated when they played a casual round. That's fine by me. It's their scores. They can do what they want. But when they cheated when we played skins, I confronted them.

• 3 months later...

i resently have read a distubing post soporting cheating! this makes me very furious. cheating is the easiest way to judge someone....if you can trust them to keep an honest score how can you trust them with something inportant! cheating is simply stupid if you have to cheat to be good at something why do it. it takes sooooooooo much away from the game when you get beat or find someone cheating. for me it is easy if you cheat i will not assosiate w/ u it is that simple.

thats my 2 cents

thx for reading my dayly rant and plz post your disagrements with me i will be glad to debate this w/ you

p.s. let keep this a cleen (debate?) or topic i dont want to cause a problem for the mods.

mods plz pm me if i got out of hand here and i will edit what needs to be changed i just felt this needed to be addressed.

-andrew

Andrew I have no problem with your rant and I agree with most of what you said. Please though in the future, give us a break on the "Chat Speak" and use the spell check button. :yahoo:

Wow...I just wrote a post about this very subject. I caught a guy cheating...I said something to him and I was so upset over it I ended up withdrawing myself.....it threw my whole game off and I just couldn't get it out of my head.

I guess I was so shocked that there are people out there willing to cheat at a game that is built around integrity.

If I'm out playing for fun and somebody I'm playing with wants to take mulligans, drops, bump their ball or whatever....that's fine...heck, it speeds up play so I don't care but in a tournament they better play by the rules of golf. There's money and prizes involved.

And for the guy who asked whether or not you should say something if you see a guy cheating....YES. Not only do you owe it to yourself but also to all of the other competitors in that tournament. You must say something right away and allow him the opportunity to fix the discrepancy by the rules of golf or be DQ'd.

If you see it and don't say anything you are just as guilty.

If you play with me in a tourniment round and cheat I will politely ask are you sure? if the score was not as I saw it. If there was a very minor infraction in what I think is a "friiendly" event like a member guest you will get a refresher course on the rules and a warning that it shouldn't happen again. I most likely won't enforce the rule that time...Should the behaviour continue I will not sign the card and when asked why by the rules commitee I will answer truthfully as to what occured. At that point its no longer my problem and I will let them determine that outcome.

First Of All: I Can't Believe How Many Of You Wouldn't Report

Second Of All: There Is A Junior Boys Competition Every Tuesday At Our Club Which Since I Joined Last Year Has Been Full Of Cheats.

Standard Scratch In Stableford Strokeplay Is 38 Pts.

This Year It Started The First Competition.

A 27 Handicapper Who Comes Out Only For Competitions Off Mens Tees Can Shoot 49 Pts?!? :yahoo:

A 28 Handicapper Who Also Comes Out Only For Competitions Can Shoot 55 Pts?!? :yahoo: :bad:

A Certain Someone I Have Played With Quite A Few Times Has Got Cut Sooooo Much From Cheating He Can't Even Play To His Handicap! :bad:

That's What I Love, WHen They Get Cut So Much They Can't Even Play To Their Handicap.

All Are Guilty Of Trying On The One Shot Less On Every Hole And If They Screw Up 2 Shots Less On Some Holes And Then If You Confront Them They Occassionally Give In And Take Their Actual Strokes For The Hole.

The Latter 2 Are Guilty Of Moving Balls Onto Better Lies, Doing The Above And Saying I Found It When They Obviously Lost It And Drop Another Ball Beside Their Bag In The Rough When Nobody Looks.

AND THATS ONLY OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD.

The Latter 2 I Have Played With And I Deffo Would Have Reported Them If The Junior Organisers Were Ever There. When I Told My Parents They Said Never Do That But I Don't Care. This Year Me And My 2 Buds Have Sworn If We Ever Play With Them We'll Report Them!

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm playing by myself I'm usually there to practice. If I go out on the first tee with 3 guys and they say something about money, it's on. No improving lies, no free shots, no mulligans. The normal rule on mulligans with me is that if we ALL hit a horrible shot OB we can hit another ball but we're still counting that first shot as one stroke.

I was playing in a high school tournament with a known cheater and HIS own coach told me to keep his score. I came up with 91. I only saw 91 shots. He signed his card with a 79. I just started laughing and talked to the coaches about it. I worked my a** off for my 79. Lost 4 balls and STILL shot 79. He was DQ'd and we went into a 5 man playoff where I went ahead and drove my ball onto a grill in the backyard of a members home. Dropped a ball and hit it in the trap, burined in the lip. Let's just say I was done.

• 1 month later...

Bobby Jones doesn't like cheaters, he wouldn't be proud of them. LOL.. Seriously, I play a casual round of golf once a week with my Dad, brother and bro-in-law (sister's husband). It never fails that my bro-in-law will always shave a stroke or two when we finish a hole.

The same goes with my wife's brother. He likes to play the "preferred lie" and not count his drops when it's OB. I don't get it? Why do it? Why cheat on your own game? I guess it's an ego thing-- both my bro-in-law's has this mentality of being superior on everything.

Here's how I deal with it: Don't pay attention to their game when paying.

Regards to everyone that doesn't cheat ! You made Bobby happy !

• 1 month later...

at my local club i quit playing in juniour comps because mostly every juniour cheats apart from about 5.If i shoot level my handicap i come about 12th.I have seen nett 56,57,58 all this year(Par 71)and a few days ago in the juniour masters,The weather was ferpcious strong winds and i struggled to a level handicap round.Some kid off 25 is duffing it round and shoots a nett 59 i mean wtf????When questioned he denyed cheating and now takes the juniours main crown thanks to his obvious cheating.

at my local club i quit playing in juniour comps because mostly every juniour cheats apart from about 5.If i shoot level my handicap i come about 12th.I have seen nett 56,57,58 all this year(Par 71)and a few days ago in the juniour masters,The weather was ferpcious strong winds and i struggled to a level handicap round.Some kid off 25 is duffing it round and shoots a nett 59 i mean wtf????When questioned he denyed cheating and now takes the juniours main crown thanks to his obvious cheating.

Joining this topic late, but there are cheaters and there are casual golfers. I wouldn't call a weekend casual golfer who is playing for nothing a "cheater" if he rolls his ball or doesn't take stroke and distance when he hits his ball OB. He's out there to be with friends and have fun. Granted, he's not playing by the ROG, but who cares? Unless he's walking in my line or talking when I'm hitting, the way he plays and keeps scores doesn't affect me at all.

Then you've got the guys that are playing in tournaments, or even just for a couple of bucks a side. Those are the guys that matter. Those guys have a direct effect on what happens to me, either with prize money or our little bet. I'm a little shocked by so many of you who have witnessed outright cheating (shaving a stroke a hole? What kind of idiot thinks he could get away with that?). Granted I've only played in maybe 20 amateur tournaments in the last 3 years, but I've never even come close to witnessing anything like this. Only once I had a suspicion on something (a player identified his first ball in a hazard that he said was his after hitting two provisionals...), but nothing outright like rolling the ball or shaving a stroke.

A 3rd group is the sandbagger. While they're not technically breaking a ROG (if they were, how would it be applied??), they certainly aren't being honest. But there are some people who have valid handicaps that, because of the nature of their game, have an advantage in match play situations.

One quick story. A few years ago my boss came out to play golf. We were more like buddies than employer/employee. He was a pretty high level VP in an auto company. Anyway, we get a bet going, me and my buddy against my boss and another guy. 1st hole, boss is in the fairway, and he rolls the ball over. We were about 50 yards from the guy and I looked at my buddy to confirm that my eyes weren't lying to me. My buddy holds up a tee and yells to my boss "HEY DAVE, DO YOU WANT ONE OF THESE??" He was a little confused by the whole thing, until I mentioned that, hey, we're betting, therefore the ROG apply. No rolling over.

Probably the best thing that I ever did, as I don't even question whether he plays by the ROG anymore.

Cheating makes my blood boil!

I catch about 3 people a year for cheating. 2 people last season in my college conference. Last season there was a pretty good player who was in 4th place out of the conference going into the final tournament. Everyone knew he cheated but people either never caught him, he wormed his way out, or his coach (Intimidated man who kind of ran the conference) talked them out of DQing him. Finally in the last tournament he got busted and couldn't worm his way out. They DQed him which was nice becuase I was 5th in conference and playing bad so I slipped back. They only choose 6 people for 1st team all conference. Since he was DQed everyone from 4th palce back got bumbed up one spot, including me who slipped into the 6th spot making 1st team all conference. I would have been so pissed if he got away with it.

And I never got to play with him, so I couldn't get the chance to bust him.