2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Double Bogey Rule??

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is what you're asking about:

See: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equitable_Stroke_Control"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equitable_Stroke_Control[/url]

"...procedure may reduce the player's total score for a complete 18-hole round of golf so that a high score on a given hole does not result in an unfairly high handicap index."

It's for handicap purposes only.

Ping G30 9.5*
Ping G25 4w, 3h
Mizuno MP 33 5i-PW
Mizuno MP T Series 53*, 58*
SC Studio Style Newport 2

[quote name='Jesperday ' post='1855258' date='Jul 31 2009, 03:54 PM']What's the deal on not taking more than a double bogey? Is this for handicap purposes only?[/quote]

Yeah, basically in any round you hand in, the gross score obviously gets counted for a medal, but to work out handicaps, you can only have a nett double bogey on the hole. Its often known as stableford rules, ie the least number of shots that you dont score a point.

[quote name='Jesperday ' post='1855258' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:54 AM']What's the deal on not taking more than a double bogey? Is this for handicap purposes only?[/quote]

I don't think you can even say it's for handicapping purposes. ESC varies as to what the max score on a single hole for can have for handicap purposes. I'm capped at 9 for handicap purposes on most courses i play because my index is so high. So I can be +6 on a par 3.

Now I know a guy that will pick up when he hits the max he can enter on a hole but only when it's a friendly round. If there's any money involved he plays out.

Some people think that ESC is the highest number they can write on their score card...

[quote name='bortass' post='1855289' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:07 AM'][quote name='Jesperday ' post='1855258' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:54 AM']What's the deal on not taking more than a double bogey? Is this for handicap purposes only?[/quote]

I don't think you can even say it's for handicapping purposes. ESC varies as to what the max score on a single hole for can have for handicap purposes. I'm capped at 9 for handicap purposes on most courses i play because my index is so high. So I can be +6 on a par 3.

Now I know a guy that will pick up when he hits the max he can enter on a hole but only when it's a friendly round. If there's any money involved he plays out.

[color="#FF0000"]Some people think that ESC is the highest number they can write on their score [/color]card...
[/quote]
They're WRONG!! I know you realize it. But, I hate playing with guys that do that. I play with a guy who's a friend of a friend, and he reguarly does that. I've casually mentioned before that you write what you score on the card and adjust for ESC when you go to enter it in the computer for HC. Here's the kicker, He DOESN"T even keep a HC :) Yet he tries to use the ESC as justification for saying he "shot" a lower score.

The only reason it bothers me is to hear him brag afterwards, "well I got you by 3 shots!!" I used to try and correct him, but since it's only a few rounds a year with the guy, I just ignore him.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='bortass' post='1855289' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:07 AM'][quote name='Jesperday ' post='1855258' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:54 AM']What's the deal on not taking more than a double bogey? Is this for handicap purposes only?[/quote]

Some people think that ESC is the highest number they can write on their score card...
[/quote]

What is ESC? What's a good rule of thumb on applying the double bogey rule? I mean... i play in a foursome that consists of various handicaps.

for me, i'd rather have someone pick up and take a dub for a couple reasons. pace of play for one. but also, i'd hate to see one of my buds blowing it up and it possibly affecting the entire round from a mental aspect. i mean we're out there to have fun so if someone tees off ob and wants to stay in the cart i'm cool with it.

[quote name='Babaganoosh' post='1855481' date='Jul 31 2009, 12:16 PM']Posting nothing higher than a double bogey is only for people with a 9 handi or lower. See USGA info on ESC here :
[url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14377#4-3"]http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14377#4-3[/url][/quote]

Thats what i wanted to see. Thanks!

[quote name='Jesperday ' post='1855627' date='Jul 31 2009, 01:18 PM'][quote name='Babaganoosh' post='1855481' date='Jul 31 2009, 12:16 PM']Posting nothing higher than a double bogey is only for people with a 9 handi or lower. See USGA info on ESC here :
[url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14377#4-3"]http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14377#4-3[/url][/quote]

Thats what i wanted to see. Thanks!
[/quote]

That's just for posting handicaps. Not what you have for a score on the hole. That link is ESC. Equitable Stroke Control, basically a anti sandbagging/blowup round rule. It limits what score you can use in GHIN, etc to keep a bad score from inflating your handicap artificially.

On when you and your buds should pick up? That's your own call. There is no rule. Rule of Golf says you tee off and then finish the hole by holing out.

The handicap rules, which are different, cover what to record if you do not finish a hole/round. But that's just for your handicap, not the score you shot that round.

[quote name='tjy355' post='1858263' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:53 PM'][quote name='Jesperday ' post='1855258' date='Jul 31 2009, 07:54 AM']What's the deal on not taking more than a double bogey? Is this for handicap purposes only?[/quote]

There is no such rule.
[/quote]

i think the people who posted with information understood the question but i appreciate your input.

[quote name='Babaganoosh' post='1855481' date='Jul 31 2009, 12:16 PM']Posting nothing higher than a double bogey is only for people with a 9 handi or lower. See USGA info on ESC here :
And that's only for COURSE handicap, not handicap index. If you're an 8.9 index, your course handicap could be 10+, hence your ESC is different.

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' post='1855418' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:53 AM'][quote name='bortass' post='1855289' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:07 AM'][quote name='Jesperday ' post='1855258' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:54 AM']What's the deal on not taking more than a double bogey? Is this for handicap purposes only?[/quote]

[color="#ff0000"]Some people think that ESC is the highest number they can write on their score [/color]card...
[/quote]
They're WRONG!! I know you realize it. But, I hate playing with guys that do that. I play with a guy who's a friend of a friend, and he reguarly does that. I've casually mentioned before that you write what you score on the card and adjust for ESC when you go to enter it in the computer for HC. Here's the kicker, He DOESN"T even keep a HC :) Yet he tries to use the ESC as justification for saying he "shot" a lower score.

The only reason it bothers me is to hear him brag afterwards, "well I got you by 3 shots!!" I used to try and correct him, but since it's only a few rounds a year with the guy, I just ignore him.
[/quote]

Yes and No to the above...quote:

[url="http://"][i]4-1. Unfinished Holes and Conceded Strokes[/i]

[i]A player who starts, but does not complete a hole or is conceded a stroke must record for handicap purposes the [/i][i]most likely score[/i][/url][i]. The [/i][url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14370#mostLikelyScore"][i]most likely score[/i][/url][i] may not exceed the player's [/i][url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14370#equitableStrokeControl"][i]Equitable Stroke Control[/i][/url][i] limit, defined in Section [/i][url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14377#4-3"][i]4-3[/i][/url][i]. This [/i][url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14370#mostLikelyScore"][i]most likely score[/i][/url][i] should be preceded by an "X." (See Decision [/i][url="http://www.usga.org/bookdecision.aspx?id=14378#4-1/1"][i]4-1/1[/i][/url][i].) [/i]

[i]There is no limit to the number of unfinished holes a player may have in a round, provided that failure to finish is not for the purpose of handicap manipulation.[/i]

To be honest, if I dont play for $$$ in a Nassau or something like that, I pick up too and write down the double, for the sake of pace or play. Why struggle around to know you would have shot a 10. Althougth I dont brag about my score when I know it wasn't what I shot...