2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Vegas Courses for Oct 10th, 11th

knockdown9

What courses to golf in Las Vegas
I'll be in Vegas from the Oct 9-12 and my father in law and I are trying to decide where to golf. I'm currently a 14 hdcp and he is a 16. We're used to playing courses with a length of 6000-6300 yards and a slope of 116-126. I've been reading reviews and researching courses a little, but there are so many courses in the Vegas area that I really have no clue which to choose. From what I've read so far, it seems that TPC Vegas and Wolf Creek seem to be top choices. Our budget would probably be around $150USD per person. What would you recommned and why? Thx for the info.

Edit: I forgot to add that we always walk and would prefer to walk, but not a deal breaker. Are you generally required to use a cart at most Vegas courses?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ryedhel' post='1911304' date='Aug 24 2009, 03:26 PM']I'll be in Vegas from the Oct 9-12 and my father in law and I are trying to decide where to golf. I'm currently a 14 hdcp and he is a 16. We're used to playing courses with a length of 6000-6300 yards and a slope of 116-126. I've been reading reviews and researching courses a little, but there are so many courses in the Vegas area that I really have no clue which to choose. From what I've read so far, it seems that TPC Vegas and Wolf Creek seem to be top choices. Our budget would probably be around $150USD per person. What would you recommned and why? Thx for the info.

Edit: I forgot to add that we always walk and would prefer to walk, but not a deal breaker. Are you generally required to use a cart at most Vegas courses?[/quote]

Both are good choices. While I don't know TPC's cart policy, I do know that there is no walking at Wolf Creek as it's a 5-hour minimum round because of the severe elevation changes. Wolf Creek is a test of endurance just climbing the steps to the tee boxes, but it's a great course.

I would suggest Boulder Creek, Primm Valley, Bear's Best, Angel Park, Legacy, Anthem Lexington, Aliante, Silverstone. Best advice is to call each course to find out about walking policy, Silverstone allows walkers after 3:00 but I don't know about the others.

Take into account that most courses are a decent driving distance from the strip (either cab or car rental) depending on where you are looking to play. Not sure where you are staying, but you will want to remember this fact as some of the nicer courses can be anywhere from 20 mins. to 45 mins. outside of the city. If you don't rent a car while you are there...could be a pain in the ---. A really nice place at the end of the strip is called Bali Hai...great course which I believe you don't have to take a cart, but I'm not totally sure. Sort of a South Pacific Island feel to it, but very nice layout that is well manicured. Played there in Dec. '07 while there for my sister's wedding...perfect round for myself and my new brother-in-law. Also played Rhodes Ranch which is another short cab ride outside of the city...decent track for the price and some tough holes as well as scenic ones. Played Shadow Creek...it's up there in price and I think you need to stay in one of a few specific hotels in order to get a tee time. Really beautiful track...but you pay out of the rear for it. Only course I've seen with pheasant running around as their "local" wildlife :hunter: Anyhow, my vote is Bali Hai...really enjoyed it and would play there again if I were to return. Have a great time :drinks:

[quote name='Golfinnova' post='1914742' date='Aug 25 2009, 11:36 PM'][quote name='Ryedhel' post='1911304' date='Aug 24 2009, 03:26 PM']I'll be in Vegas from the Oct 9-12 and my father in law and I are trying to decide where to golf. I'm currently a 14 hdcp and he is a 16. We're used to playing courses with a length of 6000-6300 yards and a slope of 116-126. I've been reading reviews and researching courses a little, but there are so many courses in the Vegas area that I really have no clue which to choose. From what I've read so far, it seems that TPC Vegas and Wolf Creek seem to be top choices. Our budget would probably be around $150USD per person. What would you recommned and why? Thx for the info.

Edit: I forgot to add that we always walk and would prefer to walk, but not a deal breaker. Are you generally required to use a cart at most Vegas courses?[/quote]

Both are good choices. While I don't know TPC's cart policy, I do know that there is no walking at Wolf Creek as it's a 5-hour minimum round because of the severe elevation changes. Wolf Creek is a test of endurance just climbing the steps to the tee boxes, but it's a great course.

I would suggest Boulder Creek, Primm Valley, Bear's Best, Angel Park, Legacy, Anthem Lexington, Aliante, Silverstone. Best advice is to call each course to find out about walking policy, Silverstone allows walkers after 3:00 but I don't know about the others.
[/quote]
We have decided on Bears Best for one round. We've thrown out the walking option as it seems the majority of vegas courses require you to use a cart. For the second course we are deciding between the Revere Concord, Aliante or Silverstone. Do one of those stand out for you as a better choice? You mentioned the Lexington, i've read that it is a pretty difficult course. Have you played the Concord? How does it compare? Thx

I haven't played Concord, just Lexington. Very hilly course with pretty good elevation changes, they have some fun holes.

I would say Silverstone but it would be a biased statement since I'm a member there, I could get you guys discounted rates there if you're interested. Really can't go wrong with either Aliante or Silverstone, both have good ranges and practice areas. The summer has put a hurt on both courses in the fact that the greens and fairways are torn up in spots; however, they should both be in great shape when you come out.

Either way, if you need a third to join or want to play Silverstone, let me know and I'll shoot my e-mail to you via DM.

Concord at Revere is a wonderful, fair but challenging golf course. There are some tricky elevation changes but the course is kept in impeccable shape and is really underrated as compared to the Lexington. It's typically easier to get a tee time on Concord as well. If you want the 'canyon golf' experience, this is a manageable foray into the genre. One of my favorite courses in the Las Vegas valley, definitely.

• 4 weeks later...

Wolf Creek is awesome, but it is 80+ miles North of the Vegas Strip. Most Vegas courses aren't made for walking and/or don't allow walking. You would not want to walk Wolf Creek. It is a long Roller Coaster Ride. Royal Links allows walking with caddies.

I highly recommend the Las Vegas Paiute courses, three Pete Dye layouts about 25 minutes from the strip. The courses are very playable, beautiful, fun, usually in great condition and good value (by Vegas standards). They are perfect for a 15 handicap. I like the Paiute courses much more than Lexington, Concord, Rhodes Ranch, Aliante, Silverstone or Boulder Creek, although those courses are okay. They aren't in the same league as the Paiute courses, although Aliante and Silverstone have very good twilight rates if price is a major factor.

Shadow Creek is excellent and is $500 per person and you must stay at an MGM/Mirage property in order to have the privilege of shelling out the $500. If that price range suits you, you can also try Cascata or the Wynn. Otherwise stick with the Paiute courses.

My other favorites are the two Tom Fazio courses (Lakes and Desert) at Primm, located about 45 minutes South of the strip and the newest area layout called the Chase at Coyote Springs, a Nicklaus course about 45 minutes North of the strip. The Chase is expensive in the mornings when you can walk with a caddie, but is reasonable in the afternoon when they have a good twilight rate and is less expensive than Bear's Best if you want to play a Nicklaus layout.

Tuscany, Wild Horse, Bali Hai and Rio Seco are decent courses that have not been mentioned.

Here are links to my photos of some of these courses:

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/572988212ooOjZL"]http://sports.webshots.com/album/572988212ooOjZL[/url] (Paiute)

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/572996717coTLEe"]http://sports.webshots.com/album/572996717coTLEe[/url] (The Chase)

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/557768692fBmMJz"]http://sports.webshots.com/album/557768692fBmMJz[/url] (Wolf Creek)

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/557831461nMfftu"]http://sports.webshots.com/album/557831461nMfftu[/url] (Primm Lakes, Primm Desert, Lexington, Concord, Dragon Ridge)

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/573009558riOOgH"]http://sports.webshots.com/album/573009558riOOgH[/url] (Aliante)

Aliante. Yuck.

Try the Legacy. It's about a 15 minute drive from the strip, usually in phenomenal shape. It's a US Open qualifying track so played from the tips it can be tough. With your prevailing handicaps, play the whites an you will really enjoy the course. Nice range and putting green too!

A drive up to Primm/stateline could be worth it, those courses are very nice. Don't stay overnight in that town without a tetanus shot though...

I really like the Paiute courses too, if you're not hitting the ball well, you could be in for a long day as those tracks can kick your butt! All because Pete Dye just doesn't know how to draw a straight line.

I love Vegas golf! Have Fun!

X________________________________ Sign Here