2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Iron Shafts for 60 and Over?

weten2

I am presently using True Temper Dynamic Gold in my irons. In my twenties, I played x-100...in my forties I played s-300, now in my sixties I am playing R-300. I have a brand new set of FST 125's, which I am going to use with a new set of Acer XK-Pro heads. My swing flaw is a hook off the planet, so I have always preferred heavy shafts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 64, 6'3" and 225 lbs.Healthy and very strong. Everyone is different. It depends on your tempo, swing speed, strength......
I experimented with light weight steel shafts for 15 months. I finally gave up on trying to contain my naturally aggressive nature and tempo.
The experiment did me some good. I have toned down my speed in transition. I am now playing TT DG S400 soft stepped once in Mizuno MX-25 irons. D-3.
More piercing ball flight, much less affected by wind. Also picked up 1/2 club in yardage with a tighter dispersion. Just "feels" more solid!

[quote name='MightyMark' timestamp='1301287400' post='3095161']
I am 64, 6'3" and 225 lbs.Healthy and very strong. Everyone is different. It depends on your tempo, swing speed, strength......
I experimented with light weight steel shafts for 15 months. I finally gave up on trying to contain my naturally aggressive nature and tempo.
The experiment did me some good. I have toned down my speed in transition. I am now playing TT DG S400 soft stepped once in Mizuno MX-25 irons. D-3.
More piercing ball flight, much less affected by wind. Also picked up 1/2 club in yardage with a tighter dispersion. Just "feels" more solid!
[/quote]

Good post.

I too have recently changed to True Temper Preformance Lite 85 (Adams A7OS), from GAT 95 Stiff Shaft. I was working to hard to maintain my same distance as my swing speed had slowed down. It is true I was happy with the straight shots I would get from the GAT 95 Stiff, but with the new shafts I still maintain a tight dispersion while gaining distance (full club) with less effort. I am also using a lower compression ball. The Nike PD Long.

The Nike PD is one of their less expensive balls (good for me), and for me out_ performs their more expenside Nike One ball.

Cheers

[quote name='78blades' timestamp='1278573992' post='2562030']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='25 June 2010 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1277499611' post='2535131']
[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' date='12 May 2010 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1273704964' post='2437926']
Sometimes I wonder if I'm that unusual in my selection of clubs and shafts. The youngsters seem to think anyone over 50 should be using "senior" shafts and is seriously in danger of breaking a hip getting out of a cart!

Well, I just turned 61 and while I'm not as flexible and strong as I used to be; I get a little stiff; walking 36 holes a day is going to be infrequent; and God knows I should be working out more and stretching. But, I still use DG S-300 in my irons (Titleist 690.cb) and a "real" Diamana Blueboard 73-stiff in my 909D2. Redboard 83-S, Purple Ice 75-S and Aldila VS Protos 80-85g-S in my various Titleist and Sonartec fairways woods.

I still hit drives 260-280 (my club is in Philadelphia) and, while my swingspeed is lower than it used to be (100-103 mph?), the group I play with at the club (all 52-63) all hit drives 240-265 yards as well (all single digit hcps). Apparently not all seniors are ready to sit in rocking chairs yelling "get off my grass".

So contrary to what kids think, I'm not quite ready to bunt the ball 200 yards using senior shafts (isn't Tom Watson 60?). That said, it may well be time to reevaluate equipment and consider lighter shafts (the longer, lighter shaft in the Superfast is tempting; so is the Ping G15 at 45 3/4"). I'm also thinking about regular shafts, but I'm more tempted by the KBS Tours because they're slightly lighter. However, I've had poor results in the past with light swingweights so I'm concerned that a change to "light" will negatively affect my game. Any thoughts?

I don't know what my point is. I'm just musing about changing my equipment from my traditional to reflect advancing age and thinking that the range of "seniors" and their equipment is broader than many think.
[/quote]

Sounds like you, you're friends and I face similar situations. Yep, we are unusual... and I like it that way. :lol: Don't have a rocking chair or a walker; that's not a put down for those that do. And, maybe I am bragging when some younger knuckle dragging gorilla thinks he's got what it takes; only to be beat by this ole man, so be it. I can live with that. :yahoo: Gota take what we can get and enjoy, cause who knows how long we'll be able or upright.;)
[/quote]

Wow, sounds very familar. May be we aren't so unusual, possibly its b/c the [b]kids are so wussy? [/b](lol)
[/quote]

You nailed that one! :good:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I first switched to graphite about 8-10 years ago. I did not have any medical reasons, I just was frustrated with my swing. I often have wondered if steel would be an option again.

I took our a TM Burner 2.0 S KBS steel shaft iron and hit it longer then my graphite shafts. :partytime2: After I finished I noticed the shaft said "S". I have not used a stiff iron shaft in more years than I can remember. I am swinging a 6 iron about 85 MPH.

So now I am on a mission to find the 'right' steel shafted irons.

Update fron previous post I am now an 11 index, 64 Y/O.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1301626380' post='3108097']
I first switched to graphite about 8-10 years ago. I did not have any medical reasons, I just was frustrated with my swing. I often have wondered if steel would be an option again.

I took our a TM Burner 2.0 S KBS steel shaft iron and hit it longer then my graphite shafts. :partytime2: After I finished I noticed the shaft said "S". I have not used a stiff iron shaft in more years than I can remember. I am swinging a 6 iron about 85 MPH.

[/quote]

I'm not 60 yet, but just turned 56, so I'm on the downhill slide I guess... ;)

I too have tried softer shafts, and I cannot remember why I did this. Now, I'm getting ready to reshaft my i3 Blades, going from S300s to hard-stepped PX 5.5s. Frequency wise, this should put me between a S300 and a X100. My SS numbers are a little higher than yours though. Last time I swung a club on a machine, I was swinging a 7 iron right at 90 (for comparison purposes)

The PXs are a little more tip-stiff, with a softer but-end, resulting in a slightly higher but flatter trajectory for me. To counter the harshness of the Ping heads and the tip stiff shafts, I'm using ProSoft inserts.

Just food for thought

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

[quote name='wrmiller' timestamp='1301629069' post='3108260']

[/quote]

I'm not 60 yet, but just turned 56, so I'm on the downhill slide I guess... ;)

I too have tried softer shafts, and I cannot remember why I did this. Now, I'm getting ready to reshaft my i3 Blades, going from S300s to hard-stepped PX 5.5s. Frequency wise, this should put me between a S300 and a X100. My SS numbers are a little higher than yours though. Last time I swung a club on a machine, I was swinging a 7 iron right at 90 (for comparison purposes)

The PXs are a little more tip-stiff, with a softer but-end, resulting in a slightly higher but flatter trajectory for me. To counter the harshness of the Ping heads and the tip stiff shafts, I'm using ProSoft inserts.

Just food for thought
[/quote]

You never know. I am now playing some of the best golf in my life. Stay positive, your scores may go down.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[/quote]

As I had posted I have switched recently to (True Temper Preformance Lite 85 (Adams A7OS), from GAT 95 Stiff Shaft.) ,

I have found the dispersion excellent and distance consistent. The clubs are easy to swing, and I wish I had not been so stubborn about making the switch.

I have only played three rounds, but these new shafts are performing well. Like most I play in a couple of leagues, and one is a regular men’s league made up of mostly younger men (flat bellies) we play Thursday evening, 9 holes, This week I was tied for first.. 6 par’s, 2 bogies, 1 double. The greens had just been punched , and light sanding. Today I play in our regular Sat 18 hole event, and I look forward to doing better mainly thanks to these shafts.

As always everyone will have different experience, and I just wanted to share mine. I hope you find your fit.

Tee it Up

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Senior_Golfer' timestamp='1274016914' post='2444812']
Having the freedom of being able to play all you want certainly helps. Me? I still play all I want, the difference is my Wife tells me how much I want...

Tee it Up
[/quote]

Your wife, and my wife must be related. She's my MANAGER she claims. She manages MY time for me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi, i am 59, average height weight strength, current handicap 2.7.
5 iron distance is 175 yards (150 metres here in Aus).
i used always to play with TT dynamic gold S200 in everything.
i have experimented a bit in recent years and found odd differences.
Currently i am using Mizuno MP32 heads fitted with Hogan Apex 3 shafts.
the MP32's had DG S300 in them but felt much too stiff for me, so tried the Apex 3 and they felt pretty nice.
weird because i used to use Cleveland CG2 irons with DG S200 and they were fine.
it seems the actual head makes a difference to what shaft will then suit my swing.
has anyone else experienced this?
that is that the same shaft in different heads feels very different in stiffness?

i got a set of Apex II irons with Apex 3 shafts that feel pretty good,
i tested an Apex 4 shaft in them and they were a little stiff.
it sort of seems i realy need a flex somewhere between Apex 3 and Apex 4 ideally.

Comments i read on Project X shafts seem interesting.
what PX shaft would suit my swing, can anyone suggest?

feel wise what i like to feel in a golf club is that the shaft is "thin" and also a bit stiff and the head is hanging on the end but not wobbling around.
love all the info here, thanks a lot.

• 2 months later...

Well I started this topic a long time ago out of curiosity of what other seniors are playing with. I still have tennis elbow with my X-22's with the upgraded supposedly softer Nippon 950's. I recently sought out and found a very knowledgeable fitter and pro in Chicago who didn't advertise much. He had me hit three different weight graphite's, dynamic gold and my own irons back and forth. The shaft I hit best consistently was the SK Fiber Pure Energy. This shaft is less than 70 g and is soft tip and higher torque (3.5).
He found I have a 6i swing speed of 83 however did not load the shaft in transition and needed this softer tip and higher torque because of my limitations.
I'm in the process of trying different heads in this shaft and will have a test club made before we make a final decision. Hopefully this process will find me an iron I can keep for several years.
I wanted a graphite shaft for the elbow issues and find I also hit it better also.
There is no substitution for a knowlegible fitter.
I will follow up next spring when I have had several rounds on this setup.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Senior_Golfer' timestamp='1319734547' post='3726713']
OK, one more update to golf shafts. I found the Matrix Golf Shaft delivers the best performance for me. Good "feel", distance, and control. I found it by accident using the new Adams UL Driver.
[/quote]

:clapping: I will second that. I have mine on an r7 LTD head at 10.5. Nice Driver!

teespoon

Well I have just gone back to PX 6.0 at 59 years old, have a set of MP 62's with the 5.5 at 1" over and got a new set of MP 62's with PX 6.0 3/4" over so if I can tell a difference I'll get back on here and let you know. I also have a Mitchell frequency machine and can tell you BOTH shafts are suppose to be stiff (6.0) and soft stiff (5.5) will frequency out stiffer than X100's! (doing a 38" club to a 38" club)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Senior_Golfer' timestamp='1319734547' post='3726713']
OK, one more update to golf shafts. I found the Matrix Golf Shaft delivers the best performance for me. Good "feel", distance, and control. I found it by accident using the new Adams UL Driver.
[/quote]

Hi there,
What particular Matrix shaft, and in your driver? And, if you don't mind, how about your driver swing speed, if you know it, please?

TY

[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1323099933' post='3894319']
[quote name='78blades' timestamp='1318916817' post='3686957']
To bad about the SK fiber shafts. They are, IMO, one the best graphite shafts out there b/c of the excellent quality control.
[/quote]

Whats too bad? I currently have a fitter recommending these to me. That is if I don't go with AeroTech.
[/quote]

I personally haven't delt with SK for about 5 years now. I've read & heard about ppl being disappointed with them lately; this is why I posted what that. My experience with them was very good and I thought they were the best off the shelf shaft around.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MightyMark' timestamp='1301287400' post='3095161']
[/quote]

UPDATE:

I am now 65. My irons are now Mizuno MP-33 with S300 and New Decade multi-compound Midsize grips with 2wraps. A shade over D-4. Standard length. 6iron ss 90mph.

• 2 months later...

I am 76, I use rifle 5.5 in my Titleist irons. My handicap went up to 14 . However, I think I will be back to single digit this year because I just had a total right hip replacement. I have had to trap the ball to play for the
Last five years because I could not push down on my right hip to stay behind the shot.

CHARLEY PENNA

• 3 weeks later...

I am 70 and play with steel shafted (uniflex) X22 irons. I replaced some Cobra graphite shafted irons with these. I felt the cobra irons were too light and swing was out of synch (too quick). So I went back to steel and am glad I did. I am 6', about 200 lbs and work out on a regular basis so believe I'm in good condition for a man my age.

• 3 weeks later...

Great topic and good posts. I have a question or two. Up until the age of 64, I could not really tell much about the effects of being older. I could still pound the ball pretty well, play the tips of about any course, card a few rounds in the sixties every year, and contend pretty well in long drive contests. Now five years later, I have clearly lost distance, about two or three clubs with irons and 50 yards with the driver. I work out, am fit and strong, and it still feels like I am bashing a drive, but the distance seldom goes past 275 yards unless there is a lot of helping wind or hard fairways. My seven iron is about 155, sometimes 160, and into a strong wind may only be 135. I find it all very frustrating. My mind is still telling me I can hit an 8 iron from 180 but my body will only hit it maybe 140, and that is killing my game. Taking more club on a shot causes me a lot of conflict and I tend to be uncertain about distance, so I play poorly trying to accept lower flights and strong lofted clubs. Plus they don't feel like my forged dual muscle small cavity backs.

So here is my question: if you have always played strong shafts, would changing to more flex and lighter shafts really help or just be another difficulty? Can you learn the same level of control eventually? I prefer drivers with X or XX shafts for example and when I try to hit an R shaft, the ball moves all over the place. Yeah, it may be longer every other swing, but the accuracy and control seems much harder on the other half of the shots. So what advice would be good for a golfer who played to a scratch for decades but now finds himself struggling due to distance loss? It is maddening, but unavoidable I guess. Is there a "best answer" to this question? BTW, my driver swing speed maxed out at 104 mph last year, down 16 mph from five years ago. My irons are down more. My brain has a hard time accepting the distance loss and I lose strokes coming up short.

[quote name='rc1111' timestamp='1333159661' post='4616897']
Great topic and good posts. I have a question or two. Up until the age of 64, I could not really tell much about the effects of being older. I could still pound the ball pretty well, play the tips of about any course, card a few rounds in the sixties every year, and contend pretty well in long drive contests. Now five years later, I have clearly lost distance, about two or three clubs with irons and 50 yards with the driver. I work out, am fit and strong, and it still feels like I am bashing a drive, but the distance seldom goes past 275 yards unless there is a lot of helping wind or hard fairways. My seven iron is about 155, sometimes 160, and into a strong wind may only be 135. I find it all very frustrating. My mind is still telling me I can hit an 8 iron from 180 but my body will only hit it maybe 140, and that is killing my game. Taking more club on a shot causes me a lot of conflict and I tend to be uncertain about distance, so I play poorly trying to accept lower flights and strong lofted clubs. Plus they don't feel like my forged dual muscle small cavity backs.

So here is my question: if you have always played strong shafts, would changing to more flex and lighter shafts really help or just be another difficulty? Can you learn the same level of control eventually? I prefer drivers with X or XX shafts for example and when I try to hit an R shaft, the ball moves all over the place. Yeah, it may be longer every other swing, but the accuracy and control seems much harder on the other half of the shots. So what advice would be good for a golfer who played to a scratch for decades but now finds himself struggling due to distance loss? It is maddening, but unavoidable I guess. Is there a "best answer" to this question? BTW, my driver swing speed maxed out at 104 mph last year, down 16 mph from five years ago. My irons are down more. My brain has a hard time accepting the distance loss and I lose strokes coming up short.
[/quote]
RC
I'm the one who started this topic 2 years ago and at the recommendation of others on this topic am trying out the Aerotech Steelfiber iron shafts and know these would be excellent for someone like you with aging and an low handicapper. Depending on which weight shaft you go with they will give you the benefits of lower weight, better shock absorption and have the consistency and dispersion of a quality steel shaft.
Find a good fitter who has these shafts to try out.
I will be adding to this topic after the set is completely built and tested.
By the way Matt Kuchar and Brandt Snedeker are playing with the 95g stiff on tour.

Thank you so much for this intriguing information. I have been hesitant to try things because the times I have (graphite light shafts, delofted game improvement clubs, multiple hybrids, etc.) have not worked very well. The ideas of a lower weight, better shock absorption, and still good dispersion are exactly what I am looking for. I will look into the Aerotech Steelfiber shafts with my fitter. He is the kind of guy who would jump on something new to see if a better solution is available. Something like the J-40s, or a muscle-cavity Titleist model with these shafts might be just the ticket. Thanks.

[quote name='rc1111' timestamp='1333233379' post='4620759']
Thank you so much for this intriguing information. I have been hesitant to try things because the times I have (graphite light shafts, delofted game improvement clubs, multiple hybrids, etc.) have not worked very well. The ideas of a lower weight, better shock absorption, and still good dispersion are exactly what I am looking for. I will look into the Aerotech Steelfiber shafts with my fitter. He is the kind of guy who would jump on something new to see if a better solution is available. Something like the J-40s, or a muscle-cavity Titleist model with these shafts might be just the ticket. Thanks.
[/quote]

You are welcome. I encouraged my fitter on these shafts and he was so impressed he ordered a set for himself (95S). He is 52 and a low handicap player.
PS. I live in Chicago and have a son who graduated last May from TCU. He said he wants to die in Fort Worth!

Fort Worth is a great golf town. More than that is the year around play. I live in Texas by choice having been born elsewhere and then moving to the state to begin school and eventually deciding to retire in Texas. We could live anywhere and selected Texas for many reasons. I have lots of ties to TCU because of friends who went there. One of my children works in Ft. Worth and loves it. My guess is your son has discovered the food, people, and weather of the Lone Star State.

I think Shady Oaks and Colonial are great tracks and I love the greens. Fort Worth is in that band of weather where the grasses can be really good. That was actually a factor in where we might live in retirement. I did not want Poa or grainy bermuda greens.

I have to say, the coldest I have ever felt was walking out of Palmer House in downtown Chicago on a windy winter day when the lake was blowing over the retention walls and water was freezing in some of the streets. I've been in colder temps and stronger winds, but never both at the same time. I've been in meetings at the top of the Sears Tower when it was MOVING in the wind - scary.

The 95S sounds like something I want to try. People think I am crazy to keep hitting an X driver and Stiff irons, but if you have played these most of your life control is so much easier.