2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Iron Shafts for 60 and Over?

weten2

I'm 63, with a reasonable physique, and my only change was about a year ago, when I reshafted my Hogan Apex (yeah - I'm one of the "blade gang" to replace the worn and rather "dead" Apex 4 with KBS Tour regulars. I am extremely satisfied with the new shafts, they keep the low, original launch angle and I shall purchase a set for my Esge Pros as well - I got them from a pal, who was thinking of chucking those "old things". They are graphite shafted with Apex 4s, and it feels like hitting with a broom shaft, but steel shafts should cure that little problem.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 63 years young in pretty good shape. I've cycled and mountain biked for the past 25 years.
Been playing golf for 6 seasons now. Down to a 12 index.
I'm playing 25 yr old Tommy Armour irons that i reshafted with DGR300 shafts. The heads are in perfect shape as the previous owner never played them, ever. My florida set are Cally X20's with stock Callaway shafts. Honestly, i cant tell the difference between the two sets as far as shafts are concerned.
Im going to Pete's next week for a fitting and will know more about what i should be using.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

• 2 weeks later...

OP here. Hard to believe it has been 5 years already. I just changed my Wishon 770 with Aerotech 95 stiff to a new set of AP1's. I went with the Kuro Kage regular flex graphite in the optional 85 g weight. I found the Aerotech a little boardy feeling and find my current shaft softer feeling and more enjoyable to play with. The 85 gram weight also works very well for this 65 y/o.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm close to 60 (where have the years gone ffs) and my 6 iron ss is avg 86mph so the pro insisted on S300, but I like lighter so ne insisted again on True Temper XP105 at 101grams.

Not overly comfortable with S300, maybe I need R for that more responsive 'KICK' feeling........anyone similar or similar ss and changed?

I'm 65 and my 6i swing speed is 83. I've been using graphite to keep the tennis elbow away and have recently changed from the Steel Fiber 95 g stiff to Kuro kage 85 g regular. The Steel fiber shaft felt boardy and the Kiro in regular has a much nicer feel and I can feel the shaft load. I really think this helps me from over swinging and tiring out faster.

• 2 months later...

I am loving my first experience with Recoil 680's (F4) in my Cally Apex irons. Thought I might like them heavier, but 82g is working out pretty well.

I originally got 5-A, but like the feel so well I just ordered the SW with Recoil shaft also, and have never had a SW w/graphite shaft.

My hands/fingers/elbows will be appreciating this move this Summer.

• 6 months later...

I haven't taken the time to review every post, but mine may be a little different than most, technical wise. Age vs Shaft has many variables, that are exclusive to the individual. Example, lets take a regular TT steel shaft. It can have at least 3 different flex points, which will vary with swing speed and that will determine length and accuracy. Same hold true for every shaft out there. So if you want to change shafts, being fitted is paramount and that fitting, if done correctly, can be an all day affair. You just can't take one club, swing it and it hits fine, to determine that every club in the bag should be the same. Now that being said, the older we get (I'm 72 - 6'1" and still can move it fairly decent), it's imperative that we put the old ego in it's place and face reality. The old saying "let the club do the work" is prime now. So go to a softer shaft, swing smoothly and enjoy just being able to play. It may take a little time to restructure your mindset and swing, but in the end your body will thank you and you will greatly lessen the chance for any on course injuries (it can happen - playing partner tried to hit out of 3" deep rough and tore the shoulder up - over-swung).

Oh, and an after thought on the subject. When you decide on a shaft, don't forget the grip. Most older players would do well with an over sized grip and they come in a couple of sizes.

• 10 months later...

Hey Stix LOL, wondering why it was on top of the forum. Guessing someone voted on the "poll".

Except the poll is missing my current favorite - 70's vintage aluminum shafts. Low dispersion, like steel, yet lightweight, like graphite. Actually surprised aluminum hasn't made some sort of comeback.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I am 61 and use a variety of X shafts (Project X 6.5's, Nippon 1150gh X, Nippon 1050gh X and DG X100 in the various iron sets as well as a UST Mamiya Proforce V2 X @ 77 grams and 350 tip in the driver, a Speeder 757 X in the 1 iron hybrid, etc. Anything less stiff is too whippy.

I have one set of '68 Hogan Plus Ones with their original regular stiffness aluminium shafts. One of those,the 4 iron, snapped last year at the hosel, so I replaced it with an Alidila VS Proto 85X graphite shaft which feels about the same weight as the original aluminium but is more controllable.

I exercise daily doing 50 fingertip push ups followed by 75 regular ones and then 50 waist turns against a 25 lb resistance using a rope that is pulled on with a "normal" golf swing; fifty "up-side down" sit ups from an inverter finishes off the routine. I think that helps.

Hey Stix LOL, wondering why it was on top of the forum. Guessing someone voted on the "poll".

Except the poll is missing my current favorite - 70's vintage aluminum shafts. Low dispersion, like steel, yet lightweight, like graphite. Actually surprised aluminum hasn't made some sort of comeback.

Maybe someone from the 'dark side' had an oversized inventory of soppy shafts and thought 'I know a good way to get them shifted'!

Yes, i remember the ali shafts from Alcan...they sponsored a tourney back in the day. Maybe hickory will make comeback, too. You can get them in a soft! :taunt:

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

OP checking in here to show my journey. I've been using graphite Kuro Kage and Steelfiber over the last 6 years and have only recently noticed a small amount of tennis elbow. I'm now 68, retired and up to 105 rounds last year.

I recently went to a demo day and found through the Mizuno Optimizer I should be playing 115 gram steel. I always thought I should be in a heavier shaft to make my swing more consistent. Well I had to give it a try so bought a preowned set with the KBS Tour 105 (109g). After 35 days I didn't get tennis elbow however was waking up to acking fingers in the morning.

I was still able to trade back the irons for ez forged with 90 g graphite. I find them dull feeling next to the 716 AP1 with xp90 steel shaft. My plan now is to get the AP1's and hope the 15 g lighter shaft helps the hand pain. If not I will try large soft grips and Prosoft inserts. If this doesn't do it I will reshaft with Steelfiber shafts. I have not found a graphite shaft that feels close to steel like Steelfiber including Recoils.

• 1 month later...

Just turned 57 and battling golfers/tennis elbow for about the last year. Mostly played TT Dynamic then DG S300/R300 most of the last 40 years but just became too painful, especially when practicing. I contracted the Hogan bug several years ago and now play my Hogans with mainly Apex 3 shafts, but being 6'3 tall and +1" length the 3 flex can get a little difficult to control. My '92 Apex ft worths came fitted with Rifle Precision Lite 5.5 shafts and feel fantastic, so much so the search is on for some extra sets for some of my other Hogans. Tried several different graphite shafts but they always feel too light.

Currently playing the new Hogan PTx irons fitted with KBS tour 90 stiff shafts which give me the flex and weight combo I'm after.

Just turned 57 and battling golfers/tennis elbow for about the last year. Mostly played TT Dynamic then DG S300/R300 most of the last 40 years but just became too painful, especially when practicing. I contracted the Hogan bug several years ago and now play my Hogans with mainly Apex 3 shafts, but being 6'3 tall and +1" length the 3 flex can get a little difficult to control. My '92 Apex ft worths came fitted with Rifle Precision Lite 5.5 shafts and feel fantastic, so much so the search is on for some extra sets for some of my other Hogans. Tried several different graphite shafts but they always feel too light.

Currently playing the new Hogan PTx irons fitted with KBS tour 90 stiff shafts which give me the flex and weight combo I'm after.

Recoil 95 or 110 are excellent heavier weight graphite options if your elbow issues continue with steel shafts.

I'm 38 6'7" 1/2. Getting Bilatteral Hip Replacements this winter. I been using the s300's in My Titleist CBs, Then I found a set of Ram Accubars at a thrift shop with TT Extra Long shafts in them I hit pretty good. But then I found a Set of Callaway BB X-12 3-Pw in another thrift store with the RCH Graphite Shafts. And I can hit thos pretty good. I am even able to get the 4I up to 190. So I been playing those ever since. Not bad for a dollar a club.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

interestingly enough, I have Nippon 950Gh in Adams tungsten forged irons. I've been looking around for some GI irons with bigger heads. Pulled a OLD mizuno mx20 tzoid 6 iron out of a barrel, with a Dynamic Gold shaft (flex ??), very heavy vs Nippon, but I hit it a ton for me, real pop/kick at the bottom. Couldn't figure out the flex as part of the band was missing. The 2nd time I hit it, I went back and compared it to a similar dynamic stiff shafted 6/7 irons from the barrel. WELL, the steps on the tzoid started about 2" higher from the hosel than the dynamic stiff I compared it to, likely it's a regular shaft. Long story short, time for Reg shafts for me, but got to get fitted, which I have dreaded for a long time, figuring I could figure it out myself. I'm in NJ if you have an club fitter recommendation.

• 8 months later...

FYI

I was thinking of moving to a light Nippon (850) Shaft for my arthritis and now 69 since I like the feel of steel. I wrote Nippon for a recommendation and here is their reply.

Hello Greg,

Thanks for writing.

Our products are made from automotive grade spring steels, inherently dampen vibrations however graphite shafts in general are more vibration dampening.

Our N.S.Pro Zelos series is our softest” feeling models, but again less than graphite shafts.

Thanks, Nippon Shaft

Their shafts May help some but they are not as shock absorbing as graphite.

Heads up for the aeorotech steelfiber. Good

Buddy of mine ( 38 years difference in age But we play al lot of golf together) Has been playing around scratch from his 20's till now, mid 60's, and changed to these shafts now and They Did great things for the flights / launch on his irons. ( legacy black gamer, got mine's due to him ??)

Hope They can help you as Well. ( I Will post specs later ?)

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Just installed a set of Paderson Kinetix Ti shafts in my iBlades. Only been to the range twice with them so far, but I am really liking the performance of these shafts so far. And my hands don't hurt anymore. :)

I soft stepped the stiff version and am playing a 39" 4 iron. 7 iron SS is 90 mph, and I'm just over 6'3" in my golf shoes.

I'm 63 and rather chunky. But I'm working on that. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Here comes the :WTF: section of this thread. Age 74, 6' , health is OK for the age. Driver - Cleveland Hibore XLS draw "A" shaft. Adams Ovation 3 & 5 woods Aldila high launch 75gram "S" ( ? they just work ), Irons Ping G10 graphite soft "R", Ping G2 9 wood (that's my 4 hybrid equivalent) standard Ping "R" graphite. Through trial and lots of errors, this is what developed

I also wear a medical ID that states.........Everything that doesn't hurt, doesn't work"...........

• 6 months later...