2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Iron Shafts for 60 and Over?

weten2

I had been using GS 95 shafts in my Mizuno jpx800 irons, but I was hitting the ball too high and losing distance. I switched to Aldila vs proto 85. These are slightly lighter but more of a mid ball flight, I am now seeing more distance because of no balooning and better distance control.

TM M1 , Matrix White Tie
Tour Edge Exotics EX8 14*
TEE EX8 16.5*, Rogue 60
Callaway Steelhead XR 3-AW, Recoil 760
Cal. Mack Daddy 2 54* ,Recoil 95
Cal. MD PM 58*, Recoil 95
Rife Bellevue, SNSR Red 104
Super Stroke S-tech grips
Wilson Duo-U

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting reply's. Was not that familiar with the Aerosmith shafts? Just learned about the Nippon shafts at the PGA show. My concern with them is how are they for very arthritic hands.

I'm 67 and play Miura Blades with Fujikora Rombex 90x1 85 gram shafts - soft stepped stiff. When I was fitted about 3 years ago, we found that I didn't hit the 65 gram shafts anywhere as clean as the heavier 85 gram. However, I'm older now and am thinking strongly of switching shafts. I think they're a tad too heavy feeling. Don't get them thru as cleanly and quickly as before (but still have miss of seriously hooking, even the pitching wedge). I use as backup a old set of Square Twos (standard heavy graphite - about 90 gram).

Having serious arthritis in most joints means that I can't walk much and have to take pain pills to play. But i shoot low 80s/high 70s with sometime lower (8 index). And I can feel the impact in the hands with most steel shafts that I've tried.

I really like the idea of the Nippons (lighter version) as I think they would work well with the Miuras (like a heavy swing weight - the more the better as practical).

Side note: On driver, I had a Matrix shaft put into one driver head that I have. Ok but no distance at all. Just felt nothing - regular shaft. Put in Aldila DVS 60 and gained 15 yards over the Matrix. (both 48" long). However was unsatisfied so went to Krank Rage with SK fiber superfly shaft - regular 50 gram - 48". That made real difference - increased 30-40 yards. (i've tried about 5 different shafts on the old driver (Taylor made r7 425) and almost all the new clubs with little difference until the Aldila DVS 60 and later the entirely new Krank.

Normal driver swing speed runs between 85 and 94 depending upon club and measuring device. 7 iron is 150. Compared to 20 years ago really short comparably - used to average over 300+ but age and disability gets the better of some of us.

I switched finally to the Ping fairway woods - G20s but don't like the 3-wood much. 5 and 7 are easy and dream to hit but 3 wood goes less than 5 most days. (was using Orlimars so some of you might know how old those are!)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='myronm' timestamp='1334163866' post='4701186']
Interesting reply's. Was not that familiar with the Aerosmith shafts? Just learned about the Nippon shafts at the PGA show. My concern with them is how are they for very arthritic hands.

I'm 67 and play Miura Blades with Fujikora Rombex 90x1 85 gram shafts - soft stepped stiff. When I was fitted about 3 years ago, we found that I didn't hit the 65 gram shafts anywhere as clean as the heavier 85 gram. However, I'm older now and am thinking strongly of switching shafts. I think they're a tad too heavy feeling. Don't get them thru as cleanly and quickly as before (but still have miss of seriously hooking, even the pitching wedge). I use as backup a old set of Square Twos (standard heavy graphite - about 90 gram).

Having serious arthritis in most joints means that I can't walk much and have to take pain pills to play. But i shoot low 80s/high 70s with sometime lower (8 index). And I can feel the impact in the hands with most steel shafts that I've tried.

I really like the idea of the Nippons (lighter version) as I think they would work well with the Miuras (like a heavy swing weight - the more the better as practical).

Side note: On driver, I had a Matrix shaft put into one driver head that I have. Ok but no distance at all. Just felt nothing - regular shaft. Put in Aldila DVS 60 and gained 15 yards over the Matrix. (both 48" long). However was unsatisfied so went to Krank Rage with SK fiber superfly shaft - regular 50 gram - 48". That made real difference - increased 30-40 yards. (i've tried about 5 different shafts on the old driver (Taylor made r7 425) and almost all the new clubs with little difference until the Aldila DVS 60 and later the entirely new Krank.

Normal driver swing speed runs between 85 and 94 depending upon club and measuring device. 7 iron is 150. Compared to 20 years ago really short comparably - used to average over 300+ but age and disability gets the better of some of us.

I switched finally to the Ping fairway woods - G20s but don't like the 3-wood much. 5 and 7 are easy and dream to hit but 3 wood goes less than 5 most days. (was using Orlimars so some of you might know how old those are!)
[/quote]
I was pounding the ground with my Callaway Nippon x22iron, Callaway graphite Fusion and the 95i Aerotech wishon 770. I could swear the Aerotech had less vibration than the others. They will definitely be better than any steel
shaft.

• 4 months later...

66 years young.... 3 handicap (3.2 atm)....strong and healthy except for some arthritis in my left hip....signature shows the shafts I use.

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

• 1 month later...

What a great thread. Perhaps a Canadian can join in. I'm 58, slight build, and play to an 11 hdcp. I started playing the Wilson Fluid Feel blade a long time ago and they had an unusually light shaft. I didn't know much about clubs back then - when I switched to anything else they felt very heavy. So I always enjoyed a lighter shaft, but could never get the swingweight just right.

I was one of those constantly running into the pro shop and weighing any clubs I could find in the shop - then stealing old bits of lead tape for my own heads. I played Accuform a lot, still do from time to time - this was a great club Company in Canada. Now gone - as most of their designs are.

Flash forward - I bought some equipment and now change up my own clubs. With the great graphite shafts on the market - for me - there is no need to play steel any longer. I have a a couple of sets of Maltby heads that I change up quite often. The Graffaloy Blues suited me well, but the torque was a little high. I grabbed a set of Graffaloy Red iron shafts in the 80 gram range, with low torque and feel great.

I have a set of Titleist AP2's that are in my small shop and I'm thinking of the Aerotech 80's for a test run. Yes - there are expensive; but probably worth the $'s right now.

I've got back and elbow problems - and I can't see anyone who is 60 or 70 not giving these shafts a try. I think we will all find in the future that more company's will develop similar shafts, and heavier graphite with lower torques to accomodate descriminating golfers in retirement years. After all - we deserve it. Thanks again for the great thread.

[quote name='shannock2' timestamp='1350304619' post='5795365']
Biggest problem I ever had was moving from hickory shafts to steel! Just moved from Ping SR stock graphite in G15s to Nippon Pro 105 Reg in AP1s - more distance, better out of rough and a more penetrating ball flight.
[/quote]

That Nippon 105T shaft that used to come stock in the AP1 is a really good shaft for this old guy. I recently bought a 712 AP1 5-iron and 6-iron with the 105T in stiff, soft-stepped. A good experiment that works for me. I'll be ordering the 7- iron soon!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='FLOGMR' timestamp='1346817068' post='5589003']
66 years young.... 3 handicap (3.2 atm)....strong and healthy except for some arthritis in my left hip....signature shows the shafts I use.
[/quote]
Flo
I see you have the I80 in your irons and I'm curious if you compared them to the I90/95g version. My fitter was pushed into Aerotech by me and he didn't have the I80 demo; only the I70/75g and the I90. Between the two the 95g was better; however I often wonder if I would have been better off with the I80. I know it would help even more with the tennis elbow with its lower weight. I have just a small amount remaining in my left arm.

[quote name='Woodrow' timestamp='1350064810' post='5785807']
What a great thread. Perhaps a Canadian can join in. I'm 58, slight build, and play to an 11 hdcp. I started playing the Wilson Fluid Feel blade a long time ago and they had an unusually light shaft. I didn't know much about clubs back then - when I switched to anything else they felt very heavy. So I always enjoyed a lighter shaft, but could never get the swingweight just right.

I was one of those constantly running into the pro shop and weighing any clubs I could find in the shop - then stealing old bits of lead tape for my own heads. I played Accuform a lot, still do from time to time - this was a great club Company in Canada. Now gone - as most of their designs are.

Flash forward - I bought some equipment and now change up my own clubs. With the great graphite shafts on the market - for me - there is no need to play steel any longer. I have a a couple of sets of Maltby heads that I change up quite often. The Graffaloy Blues suited me well, but the torque was a little high. I grabbed a set of Graffaloy Red iron shafts in the 80 gram range, with low torque and feel great.

I have a set of Titleist AP2's that are in my small shop and I'm thinking of the Aerotech 80's for a test run. Yes - there are expensive; but probably worth the $'s right now.

I've got back and elbow problems - and I can't see anyone who is 60 or 70 not giving these shafts a try. I think we will all find in the future that more company's will develop similar shafts, and heavier graphite with lower torques to accomodate descriminating golfers in retirement years. After all - we deserve it. Thanks again for the great thread.
[/quote]
Hey,
Just finished a couple of weeks ago, 2 demo 6 irons. One with a Maltby TE with a ProLaunch Blue shaft and the other was a Malby MMB with a ProForce RV2 shaft. Both combinations are amazing.
Easy to swing and fantastic feel.

• 3 months later...

I'm 68 and still playing 1971 Dynapowers with adjustable weight port. I have found that while my strength hasn't noticeably diminished my muscle speed has. What I've done is to jack up the swing weights from D0/D1 to D4 /D5. My length has returned and I can feel that red label shaft again. What seems to have happened is the extra weight has effectively softened the shaft flex and the slower speed is compensated by the 1/2 mv squared in the head. I'm guessing that the club head speed after impact is not as diminished as it would be if I went down the perceived wisdom of going for a lighter, softer shaft and a 'ladies' swing weight.

Anybody else tried this?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Age 59 in 2 mos, so not quite there, but since coming back to golf, from an 18-yr injury-sabbatical in 2007, I've tried all kinds of shafts and flexs. And though, when I mention Hogan Apex shafts, many will shake their heads and say: "they were great shafts in their day," they still have a lot to offer, if they're the right fit for you. Most people overlook the fact that the Apex is softer at the tip, and becomes stiffer as you move up the shaft.
Today, I've replaced my Apex 4 woods with Apex 3 fairways and a Toney Penna driver with a Aldila-S graphite-shaft, because the constant change in barometric pressure due to all the rain in the Eastern half of the country is wreaking havouc on my arthiritis.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it as age thing. Played X100 DCI's in my forties, S300's in my fifties and know have Rifle FCM, flighted 5.5 shafts in a set of Hogan Edge CFT's which I have just picked up. Played first time yesterday and shot 74 with them from the whites. At 61 I do not usually play the Blues anymore unless they are 6,500 or less....and some are. It is a swing thing not an age thing. If you are in decent shape, athletic, and played a lot of sports in your life get the shaft that fits your swing

• 2 months later...

I cannot do what I did at 60 now that I am 66. Age will get you sooner or later. I am currently using Rifle 5.0s in my MP-59s and my handicap went down to 8.1.My swing speed is all over at this moment so I need some work. I did get a 90MPH swing out of a 7 iron on the range a few times this week and over 90 with my driver. The potential is in me, I just need to work it out. I found the Skypro gives me a lot of info on my swing. My downswing is wider that my take-away. :-( I will be spending a lot of range time to correct that.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 7 months later...

I started this topic almost 5 years ago and thought I would give an update. I've been using the Aerotech 95 stiff for about 2 1/2 years and like them. My fitter is smart; however didn't have the equipment or experience and i think the shafts are a little stiff for me. If I bought today would probably go with the 85 g regular flex shaft.
I will be trading in my steel shaft Pings on a new set of Pings with graphite since this type of shaft has greatly reduced/eliminated my tennis elbow. I will go through a Ping demo fitting in 4 weeks and try out the different graphite shafts. If money wasn't an issue (retiring soon) I would try out the Recoil graphite since it has more torque and softer feel. The Ping graphite will probably work well for me and will consider going with the stiff soft stepped twice to get the weight (86 g) and flex that will work for now and if my swing speed slows.

I have been using Aerotech SteelFiber i95 shafts in S-flex for the past 6 months. The only negative I see is the low-mid trajectory, causing inconsistent distances for me.

As my speed slows down, my trajectory goes lower. Thinking of switching to KBS Tour 90, Nippon 950 or DG XP's.

Anyone have the same experience?

[quote name='dbleag' timestamp='1396925288' post='9043373']
I have been using Aerotech SteelFiber i95 shafts in S-flex for the past 6 months. The only negative I see is the low-mid trajectory, causing inconsistent distances for me.

As my speed slows down, my trajectory goes lower. Thinking of switching to KBS Tour 90, Nippon 950 or DG XP's.

Anyone have the same experience?
[/quote]
I hit my 7i 150 and don't really think the 95 stiff is overly low trajectory. I shots go low when I become steeper with my swing.
I'm not sure on your age; however would recommend staying with graphite to reduce stress on the body over your golf life.
You may want to try the UST Recoil with its higher torque and softer feel. This will probably give you a higher flight also. Or try going to a regular flex in the Aerotech.

Thanks for your thoughts. FWIW, age 59.

The set I'm using now is TM SpeedBlades w/SteelFiber i95's, s-flex. Granted they're jacked up, but on a launch monitor, my 7iron carry distance is 162-ish yards, w/club speed of 87 mph. My average height of shot is 71 feet w/average launch of 17*, vertical descent of 37*, spin of 5000 rpm.

The feel is pretty good, but height seems low. I agree w/graphite being better on the body, but numbers could be better. Thinking of KBS Tour 90.

I looked at the TM shaft option website and SteelFibers were listed as low to mid launch. I guess that's why they're so popular on the professional tours.

• 2 weeks later...

Have Recoil 670 f4s in my 712MBs and love them. I still have a pretty good swing speed for my age and was worried about these being a little to soft, but so far so good. Another nice thing is the lighter shaft allows me to feel the head more without having to jack up the swingweight.

And much better on my hands/wrists/elbows than steel.

Bill

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

• 4 weeks later...

6'1" 210 lbs with no health problems. Still work out with weights and hit 600-800 balls a week.

Currently play 115 gm RIP graphite S iron shafts 1/2" over standard length + DG X-100 steel in GW,SW,LW - all same length 1/2" over standard length. Play forged MacGregor blade irons with 4* loft steps off a 50* GW/ mid size PURE grips. D-5 irons,

Carry 9-iron 150yds, 5-iron 200yds.

Play a 21* Titleist hybrid with Aldila Tour Blue 100X shaft.(Houston Open winner, Matt Jones club) /MS PURE grips

Titleist Fairway woods all have Fubuki -K 85X flex shafts / Oversize WYNN grips

SLDR Driver is 12* cranked down to 11*/ Weight bar all the way to FADE. Fubuki -K 70X shaft. Oversize WYNN grip.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Age 55 with tendinitis in my right elbow. Swing speed with the driver tops out at around 90. I've defied all the traditional advice and sold a set of R flex graphite shafted SGI type irons and am now beginning to play a cobbled together set of forged irons with a mix of TT Speedstep and Dynalite Gold S300 shafts. I've never had an issue hitting traditional steel shafted, bladed wedges. If the wedges didn't cause me any grief, then perhaps I could get along with irons too.
A couple of observations after two rounds and a bit of range time. Turf interaction is much improved over what i was previously using, so I'm not getting any noticeable increase in negative feedback through the shaft. The increased heft of the shaft and higher balance point seems to promote a smoother swing with less tendency to over-swing. So far so good. The acid test will come when course conditions dry out, but I'm hopeful.
From a performance perspective, I was impressed with the true flight on well struck shots, particularly with the short irons. Despite having considerably lower launch than what I was used to, there was more than enough spin created to get the ball to stick. This should be a boon in the typical windy conditions that I play in. Yardages are pretty much spot on despite both my playing partner and myself commenting that the ball wasn't carrying particularly well off the tee.
For me, overswinging has always been a huge issue as I've struggled with controlling the "hit" impulse. More weight, not less seems to be beneficial in this regard.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1400506617' post='9323131']
Age 55 with tendinitis in my right elbow. Swing speed with the driver tops out at around 90. I've defied all the traditional advice and sold a set of R flex graphite shafted SGI type irons and am now beginning to play a cobbled together set of forged irons with a mix of TT Speedstep and Dynalite Gold S300 shafts. I've never had an issue hitting traditional steel shafted, bladed wedges. If the wedges didn't cause me any grief, then perhaps I could get along with irons too.
A couple of observations after two rounds and a bit of range time. Turf interaction is much improved over what i was previously using, so I'm not getting any noticeable increase in negative feedback through the shaft. The increased heft of the shaft and higher balance point seems to promote a smoother swing with less tendency to over-swing. So far so good. The acid test will come when course conditions dry out, but I'm hopeful.
From a performance perspective, I was impressed with the true flight on well struck shots, particularly with the short irons. Despite having considerably lower launch than what I was used to, there was more than enough spin created to get the ball to stick. This should be a boon in the typical windy conditions that I play in. Yardages are pretty much spot on despite both my playing partner and myself commenting that the ball wasn't carrying particularly well off the tee.
For me, overswinging has always been a huge issue as I've struggled with controlling the "hit" impulse. More weight, not less seems to be beneficial in this regard.
[/quote]
I agree with you on the shaft weight as it relates to over swinging and casting the club. This is why I have the 95 g steelfibers and have virtually no tennis elbow issues like in the past with steel.
Interesting concept on the sole design as it relates to vibration. I'm sure this will vary with sweepers and diggers. keep us informed.

[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1400516288' post='9324137']
Interesting concept on the sole design as it relates to vibration. I'm sure this will vary with sweepers and diggers. keep us informed.
[/quote]

Will do. I decided to post here as a means of chronicling this experiment for my own benefit just in case it went horribly wrong and I got this hair-brained idea again in the future. lol

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 4 weeks later...

[/quote]

AS you will notice from my signature that the steel shafted Adams irons are no more. I still have them, but it didn't take too long for those shafts to start to bite. I was fitted for a set of Ping i25's with graphite R flex shafts and they are now in the bag. Truth be told, my iron play was a weak point so far this season which says a lot considering it was a strong point last year. Call it a pre-emptive move to save my elbows. Bonus side effect is that the bag weighs less now! ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1402519547' post='9475649']
[/quote]

AS you will notice from my signature that the steel shafted Adams irons are no more. I still have them, but it didn't take too long for those shafts to start to bite. I was fitted for a set of Ping i25's with graphite R flex shafts and they are now in the bag. Truth be told, my iron play was a weak point so far this season which says a lot considering it was a strong point last year. Call it a pre-emptive move to save my elbows. Bonus side effect is that the bag weighs less now! ;)
[/quote]
Your journey sounds similar to mine. After exercises, arm bands, therapy I bought a used set of graphite irons. While they were loose they got rid of my tennis elbow. I went back to steel and it came back. My Steelfiber shafted irons have eliminated my tennis elbow again. I just ordered the AP1 with an Kuro Kage 80g graphite shaft and plan on this being in the bag for some time. This was a retirement gift to myself.
I tried the G25's and Ping has a very good stock graphite shaft that you should be happy with.
Another benefit of graphite is you should be able to play more without getting sore or tired.
Good luck.

Thanks, weten2. I've had the Pings in play for a little over a month now. The post play pain and stiffness is now absent, even when playing three times a week. It has been a bit of an adjustment, but I would have to say that lately, my iron play has been a strong point in my game, similar to where I finished last year, if not a bit better.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Your age is really not really a criterion when selecting a shaft. The key factors are swing speed, how quickly you transition from the top, and perhaps also your "smash factor", (hitter verses swinger).

I have been playing Project X 5.5's since they came out and I see no reason to change now at age 68.

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

• 1 month later...