Callaway Tour iX v. TaylorMade TP Red

deep18

which do you take and why
Looking for a new ball. Been playing the Nike One Tour D and like it but I'm not it love with it. High speed and spin player. 112/160 with the driver. Which of these two balls would you play and why?

Really looking for something to help keep the spin down with the driver and irons but with some feel around the greens.

Thanks for the knowledge.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Tour iX. I think it is longer off of the driver, and spins great off of the irons, for me. I also roll it better with the putter, because I like a firmer feel on the putter. Granted it is clickier with sound, it has the firmness that I like. It also spins very good on short shots.

I have a fairly high swing speed as well and have been measured on flightscope to hit the ball around 287 average and i play the ix although i do like the TP balls i don't seem to be able to generate the same amount of short game spin with it, the tour i is also very good a little shorter off the tee but more greenside control just your preference a bit more distance or a bit more spin round the green, both are also more stable in the wind

Yes i would recommend them i just bought 100 pearl grade ix's of ebay would've bought more if the seller had more in stock they are by far the best ball i have played and i have used the B330's, Nike Tour, Srixon's and the TP balls and nothing really compares to this IMO apart from the click sound they are perfect

My opinion is that the Tour IX is a slightly better ball, but not by a large margin. I have a fast swing speed and hit my driver over 285 consistently... and for me the longest ball out there is the Tour IX. The TP Red and the B330 are a close second though!!

The Tour IX doesn't spin as much around the greens as the TP Red, and that's good for me. On a recent launch monitor session, my driver ball speed was 164 MPH with 3,503 RPM backspin, and launching at 15.7 degrees. When I hit the Tour IX - i actually launched it a half degree higher than the TP Red, but it had superior carry distance by about 4 yards. That's what I've found to be true for a high spin / high speed / high launch player - the Tour IX is the best fit for you. I don't need more spin around the greens, so the Tour IX suits me just find.

Hope this comment was helpful for some. I'm not trying to convince you to change to the Tour IX, but i'm pointing out that for my game it has made some improvements.

[quote name='Beansy' post='1940309' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:15 PM']i have played both balls and think the Tour ix is a better ball for my game.... Tm red was a great ball but it didnt spin as much around the greens like the ix did for me if that makes sense but it is a very hard ball to pass up right now since they are $27 a dozen unlike the tour ix which goes around $40[/quote]

I play the TP Red cuz it's almost as good as iX or i for that matter, but at $27.50 a dozen it's great. Little softer than iX, not quite as long. Greenside spin is strong with both, though irons are for the iX.

Either is great ball, I've played 07 B330s, NOP, V1x, HX Tour, Tour D, Srixon, basically about every ball (well no Pinnacles or TF Quartz) at least one dozen and think iX is best overall, but while 2 for 55 is available on TP Red, that's the way to go.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

My experience with both balls has been quite opposite as the general consensus in this thread. I played a round as a single, stuck between 2 3somes, and played 2 balls for nearly the entire round (caught the 3some in front of me on the 2nd hole). I played a Tour IX and a TP red on every hole. In my experience, the TP red was longer off the tee by 5 - 10 yards consistently (3w, 2 hybrid, and driver). The Tour IX feels more solid, and I dont have a problem with distance, so I have no need to play a "longer ball". I do have a problem with spin, and both seem good in that area for me. As for putting, they feel about the same. The Callaway's bite a bit more on chip shots, which for me is sometimes good and sometimes bad. On the flip side, the TM's releasing a little more is also sometimes good and sometimes bad. Though honestly, the difference with greenside shots is just about negligible.

Played Tour ix ,Tour i, the new tp RED LDP.
I'm sticking with the tp RED LDP for now, even if the MSRP were at the same level, I would still use the Taylormade.
It's longer off the long clubs, slightly less spin off the chipping, but putts much better than the Callaways.
I had also tried all the new Bridgestone balls, none could measure up with the tp RED LDP. Oh well, until the new 5 piece TaylorMade comes out in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='laxbc101' post='1939034' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:50 AM']I have tried both, and settled on the tp red as my go-to ball.
For me it is much better in the wind than the ix and goes just as far off the tee
But around the greens, the tp red is superior and muuuch softer off the putter and wedges than the ix
You will not be dissapointed with the tp red, trust me[/quote]

+1, except even my driver results were longer with the TP Red.

I switch it in and out and haven't seen a noticeable difference. I love the feel of the Callaway with the driver and longer woods.. The TM balls great off the irons and wedges, and gives me a nice ball flight.. The iX does bite more, so I do have to aim close to the pin and expect little to no release on pitches.

Try a sleeve of each.. If your not super picky, get the TM balls, they are priced better and for the savings you won't see much difference.

Yesterday I played 18 by myself on a course that was deserted due to the fairways were torn up from overseeding and the greens being aerated. That gave me a great opportunity to play 3-4 shots everytime so I decided to compare the TM Red LDP and my normal Cally Tour iX that I usually game. Also, threw in a ProV1x to get a little different flavor in there.

I play the Cally Tour iX because I believe it is the best wind ball, the longest balll, the best overall ball for my game. It's got some decent bite around the greens but feels a touch hard. Summertime great. Winter time....ouch. After the front nine of messing around with all 3 balls, I noticed a particular pattern. The TM Red LDP was overall, slightly longer than the Cally Tour iX. I was shocked because I never thought that would be the case. The TM Red felt softer and had good spin as well. ProV1x wasn't longer or shorter, but it was just nothing special, at least for me. I lost it on #8 hole and replaced it with a TM Black LDP.

Back nine the wind picked up and thought to myself, ok, here's where the Cally is gonna shine and the TM Red won't be able to hang. Well, was I wrong. I'm amazed that the TM Red actually held it's own in the wind. I don't know if the LDP technology is BS or if it's real, but I swear I hit some balls with the Cally iX that I thought were ok, only to come up a little short. With the TM Red's, the balls actually hit the green after so-so impact. In other words, they still carried and flew. You know when you hit a ball, and you think you hit it kinda funny, you look up and expect to see the ball die out. Well, the TM"s kept flying and reached the green. Again, don' really know if the LDP is BS but it is in the back of my mind.

Overall, I"m very pleasantly surprised by the TM Red LDP's and on the way home, stopped by my local store and did the 2fer deal for 55 bucks. Can't beat it. Cally Tour iX is a great ball, but for now, I"m playing with the TM Reds. I can't believe I just said that but seeing is believing.

[quote name='sharkiesj' post='1979318' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:04 PM']Yesterday I played 18 by myself on a course that was deserted due to the fairways were torn up from overseeding and the greens being aerated. That gave me a great opportunity to play 3-4 shots everytime so I decided to compare the TM Red LDP and my normal Cally Tour iX that I usually game. Also, threw in a ProV1x to get a little different flavor in there.

I play the Cally Tour iX because I believe it is the best wind ball, the longest balll, the best overall ball for my game. It's got some decent bite around the greens but feels a touch hard. Summertime great. Winter time....ouch. After the front nine of messing around with all 3 balls, I noticed a particular pattern. The TM Red LDP was overall, slightly longer than the Cally Tour iX. I was shocked because I never thought that would be the case. The TM Red felt softer and had good spin as well. ProV1x wasn't longer or shorter, but it was just nothing special, at least for me. I lost it on #8 hole and replaced it with a TM Black LDP.

Back nine the wind picked up and thought to myself, ok, here's where the Cally is gonna shine and the TM Red won't be able to hang. Well, was I wrong. I'm amazed that the TM Red actually held it's own in the wind. I don't know if the LDP technology is BS or if it's real, but I swear I hit some balls with the Cally iX that I thought were ok, only to come up a little short. With the TM Red's, the balls actually hit the green after so-so impact. In other words, they still carried and flew. You know when you hit a ball, and you think you hit it kinda funny, you look up and expect to see the ball die out. Well, the TM"s kept flying and reached the green. Again, don' really know if the LDP is BS but it is in the back of my mind.

Overall, I"m very pleasantly surprised by the TM Red LDP's and on the way home, stopped by my local store and did the 2fer deal for 55 bucks. Can't beat it. Cally Tour iX is a great ball, but for now, I"m playing with the TM Reds. I can't believe I just said that but seeing is believing.[/quote]

Found same things as you. Been playing and stocking up on TP Red since the $55 for 2 dozen deal....too bad their discontinuing....stock up, I have 8 dozen....new Cally balls coming this winter. The new iS is supposed to feel like a balata...cant' wait to try.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

TP Red LDP easily. The Tour iX is probably the worst feeling premium ball off the putter. The TP Red feels really good.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5