2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

How to get into Princeton?

tjewell1994

I was going to suggest the first tee idea as well. Great chance to volunteer and be around an activity you have a passion for. Also when looking at other volunteer activities try and find something unique that helps make you stand out besides the standard soup kitchen old folks home stuff. Also be watchfull of what you post on social networking sites as they are becoming more and more prevalent in society. Pictures of you doing beer bongs or acting dumb wont help your cause. I know i have used them to screen potential employees at a former job. I can only imagine schools such as princeton would be doing the same especially 3 years from now.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='pinhigh27' post='2022879' date='Oct 23 2009, 04:49 PM'][quote name='Srixon-Ian' post='2005220' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:27 AM']Being through the process only two years ago and being lucky enough to get into Cornell I can say that you are on the right track to give yourself a shot at getting in. There is no way to 100% guarantee yourself getting in. I was good in school, but my sister was even better, she had the volunteering, 4.0 unweighted and 5.2 weighted, perfect ACT and didn't get into Harvard. However she is very happy with her full ride to Boston College. However, just enjoy being in high school, in a year or so look at schools and you never know what one you will just feel right about. There are plenty of good ones to choose from.[/quote]

Pretty sure that grading system is off, theres no way to even get a 5.0 let alone a 5.2. You can't take 100 percent AP classes, at least not anywhere near here.
[/quote]

At my high school, there were awards given out to the top 15 in GPA, to determine the "actual" 15 best students it was necessary to give a weight to those who took AP and Honors courses. So that you couldn't take the easiest classes get a 4.0 and cash your check. The weight per honors/ap course was .0319 per semester. Actually this was a lot less than other schools in the area did. My sister took every AP course available, not for GPA purposes, but because she actually loved to learn.

Also, that is why she has a full ride at Boston College for academics, and I do not :rolleyes:

First of all, let me congratulate you on your grasp of proper spelling and grammar. At a freshman level you've already exceeded the ability of about 75% of this board when it comes to making a post in a coherent manner. Second of all you might want to visit the Princeton website or local some alumni to see if they can provide input on what it takes to be granted acceptance.

[quote name='tommyjewell-1994' post='1993379' date='Oct 8 2009, 12:32 AM']Hey, I am only a Freshman in high school, but my parents are pushing me to start looking at colleges already. I am REALLY interested in going to an Ivy League school, I would prefer Princeton because I have family located right by the campus, but any one would be GREAT! Anyway, what do you guys think my chances are of getting in and what do I have to do to get in.

-I have had straight A's all throughout elementary and middle school, and currently have all A's in high school.
-I am the number one golfer on my high school varsity team. (hope to play golf at the college)
-I am a member of the National Junior Honor Society.
-I am a member of my school's track team.
-I am currently taking all Honors and AP classes.
-I am looking for a career in business, or a career in finances.

I am being serious here and only want serious replies. If you think I have NO chance of getting in, then tell me that, I just want to know because I really want to get in.

Also, if there is anything else I could do (extracurricular activities, etc.), please let me know.

Thanks.[/quote]
You should go to Band Camp........................

Lots of good advice so far. I was going to emphasize the extracurricular activities which will distinguish you from the average A student with top SATs. Writing the essay will be critical.

My son played baseball at Virginia which we were told is as hard to get into for an out of state student as Princeton. In fact he had classmates who had been admitted to various Ivys. And there was a comment about scholarships not being given at Ivys. i don't think they give them for either athletics or academics, only need. But our experience was the sport was crucial to my son being admitted. So to avoid the crapshoot as was mentioned I would not only study etc., but focus on the sport that a coach might recruit you for. And...there are many great universities out there.

Callaway XR, 10.5. Fujikura Pro, R
Callaway XR, 15*
Taylormade SLDR 19*
Mizuno MP 64 4-PW, Project X 5.0
Cameron Studio Selecot Newport 2
Mizuno 52, Titleist Vokey 56, 60

As several posters have stated, the Ivys don't give athletic scholarships. They will only give you help based on family income. It's great if you are a low income family, but it is tough on middle class kids.

Let me tell you, freshman year is NOT way too early to be thinking about college. If you want to go to a school like Princeton, you need to recognize that you are competing with students that not only want to go there just as badly as you and so start doing extracurriculars early, but are also in fact very passionate about those extracurriculars. They do it because that is the outlet for their creativity and intelligence, and that is the type of student that Princeton wants. I went to Brown myself, and the one thing that really stood out to me was that the students at Ivys actually care. They like intellectual debate. They like being involved in activities that hopefully make a difference, or at least stimulate their intelligence.

As far as grades and test scores, obviously you need to do well. But, what a lot of people don't realize is that what those schools need is for you to pass a certain threshold of intelligence, not for you to have a photographic memory; they want to make sure you have the intellectual horsepower to hang at Princeton, but beyond that you reach the point of diminishing returns. What is the difference between a 32 ACT and a 34 ACT, or a 4.3 GPA or a 4.6 GPA? Almost nothing.

What really sets you apart are your letters of recommendation, your application essays, and your extracurricular activities.

Letters of rec: You need to establish relationships with your teachers and make sure they get the feeling that you are actually interested in learning, not just getting a good grade. You need to be engaged and show some intellectual curiosity. Remember that your teachers have devoted their careers to their specific fields of study, and they do not appreciate when students dismiss those fields of study as unimportant or just do enough to get an A. Admissions officers really value the insight gleaned from these recommendations so make sure you get good ones.

Essays: This is a chance for you to speak directly to the admissions officers. The students you will be competing with will come up with a million different ways to answer what may seem to be a very straightforward, bland question, so don't be obvious. You will need to be self-reflective and honest but also show a little creativity. It's not too soon to start looking at some of the questions asked on different apps and thinking about how you may address those types of questions, because the themes are always very similar.

Extracurriculars: They value depth over breadth. Don't be one of the high school resume builders with 20 different activities on your application. Find a few that you enjoy and that are challenging, and excel in them. No one expects you to be a jack of all trades renaissance man, they just expect you to be passionate about something. And don't limit yourself to what is available at your school, as there are plenty of things you can do for outside organizations that may actually be more interesting and show that you have initiative.

Also, don't set all your hopes on Princeton. Not even Carleton Banks got into Princeton out of high school. It is a tough school to get into, and arguably the best Ivy. Moreover, it may turn out that you won't even like Princeton. Brown was way down my list at first, but as it turns out it was the greatest experience I could have imagined. The point is, there are plenty of great schools that can give you what you want. But if you do really want to go to Princeton, I would suggest you apply for Early Admissions in your senior year to show them how much you want to go there.

I have never really figured out the allure of going to a Princeton/Ivy League school as an undergrad. IMO it's a really expensive frat & social club. Save some money, go to a bigger school where you can grow a bit as a kid, and get someone to pay for grad school if you still want to go to an Ivy League school later.

A lot of these places have great endowments, though, so if you do get in you may be able to get some pretty good help.

If someone has the resume to get into an Ivy or similar school they can compile all the small scholarships they want. List price is meaningless and arbitrary. If you're too lazy to fill out the forms for all of the third-party scholarships that are available you don't deserve to go to college anyway.

If I was a high school junior right now, my full time summer job before senior year would be applying for every single college scholarship that I would be eligible for.

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

2i TM P790 w/ Smoke Blk HY 6.5  |||  4-PW Srixon ZX7 w/ S400

50.08 (SM9), 54.13 (TM MG3), 58.12 (SM9) w/ S400  |||  Byron Morgan 007

The discussion about the VALUE of going to an Ivy is an interesting one to me. I went to a top school then law school. I have discussed this issue with many and probably the most discussion involved my own kids since I had to pay for it. I had friends who had a son that was admitted to Stanford, but had won a scholarship that paid for everything instate. Their son went the scholarship route, and I am certain they have not regretted that decision.

From my experience and from talking to others, it is clear that where you go, Stanford, Princeton, etc. can (not necessarily does) have an affect on the first job you get out of school. Beyond that first hire, any subsequent hire is going to be mostly based upon your performance on the job, and going to Princeton then becomes a nice thing to tell a new acquaintance at a cocktail party. And the same applies to a professional school like law school.

Callaway XR, 10.5. Fujikura Pro, R
Callaway XR, 15*
Taylormade SLDR 19*
Mizuno MP 64 4-PW, Project X 5.0
Cameron Studio Selecot Newport 2
Mizuno 52, Titleist Vokey 56, 60

Good luck. Athletics can definitely be a point of distinction for admissions; although there are no athletic scholarships in the Ivies it is easier to get in if you are a recruited athlete. My son was accepted at Cornell, Brown, Columbia, Harvard and Stanford, waitlisted at Princeton. Go figure. He's at Stanford and loving it.

Well, I didn't get into Princeton (wait-listed) but got accepted everywhere else. I went to Johns Hopkins as a pre-med student so I didn't do too badly (Yale for grad school, great golf course). SAT scores are nice but don't make or break your chances as long as your scores are in the acceptable range. JHU turned down 34 students with perfect SAT scores the year I was accepted. Here is something from the web that might help:

[url="http://www.campusgrotto.com/how-to-get-into-an-ivy-league-school.html"]http://www.campusgrotto.com/how-to-get-int...gue-school.html[/url]

I would say extracurricular activities and leadership are the key. Student government, working a job, community service, sports team captain, member of different clubs, are only going to help you. They want to know that accepting you will make their university a better place. I know that Yale has local Yale Clubs. They are formed by members who went to Yale and they get together to give local kids scholarship money. I'm sure Princeton has something similar. Trying to network through such an organization can only help.

There are lots of robots out there with perfect scores on this and that, perfect grades from kindergarten to 12th grade, etc. etc., but they couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, couldn't get on a subway or metro and get from A to B, they don't get jokes, they don't drive, they have zero social skills and are inept at communication at every level.

Have you ever seen the interviews or the behaviors showcased at the Scripps Spelling Bee? I know that's mostly memorization, but most people would consider those kids "gifted" or on a career/school path toward success and I would NEVER want my son to be that way.

Don't be a robot.

just looking at your signature....
a 3.2 handicap is not good enough to play d1 golf...here are some rough guidelines

below 1 handicap index
scoring average around or below 74
notable tournament high finishes (AJGA, USGA, FCWT, IJGT, etc.)
ranked decently on Junior golf scoreboard or golfweek
win a lot of local tournaments and place well at regional and participate at national tournaments

p.s.
I am being recruited as a d1 prospect right now and have already met with coaches who have told me this^^^^^

[quote name='withdrew' post='2056514' date='Nov 10 2009, 12:22 PM']There are lots of robots out there with perfect scores on this and that, perfect grades from kindergarten to 12th grade, etc. etc., but they couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, couldn't get on a subway or metro and get from A to B, they don't get jokes, they don't drive, they have zero social skills and are inept at communication at every level.
[b]
Have you ever seen the interviews or the behaviors showcased at the Scripps Spelling Bee? I know that's mostly memorization, but most people would consider those kids "gifted" or on a career/school path toward success and I would NEVER want my son to be that way.[/b]

Don't be a robot.[/quote]

[quote name='ahl3bomber ' post='2056690' date='Nov 10 2009, 05:00 PM']just looking at your signature....
a 3.2 handicap is not good enough to play d1 golf...here are some rough guidelines

below 1 handicap index
win a lot of local tournaments and place well at regional and participate at national tournaments

p.s.
I am being recruited as a d1 prospect right now and have already met with coaches who have told me this^^^^^[/quote]
Your rough guidelines are not quite correct. Look at the scoring averages for the players at Princeton and some other Ivy League schools. You can find plenty of D1 schools that would take a 3-handicap (if it's a legit three, including all scores and tournament scores). Your guideline might be for an elite D1 program but all D1 programs aren't the same. I know of a few D1 schools that couldn't field a team if you had to be scratch or better. The kid is 14 so a 3.2-handicap is well on his way to being part of the Princeton team. I would definitely advise playing in as many state, junior, regional, and national events as possible.

[quote name='floycota' post='2057796' date='Nov 11 2009, 07:25 AM'][quote name='ahl3bomber ' post='2056690' date='Nov 10 2009, 05:00 PM']just looking at your signature....

below 1 handicap index

p.s.
I am being recruited as a d1 prospect right now and have already met with coaches who have told me this^^^^^[/quote]
Your rough guidelines are not quite correct. Look at the scoring averages for the players at Princeton and some other Ivy League schools. You can find plenty of D1 schools that would take a 3-handicap (if it's a legit three, including all scores and tournament scores). Your guideline might be for an elite D1 program but all D1 programs aren't the same. I know of a few D1 schools that couldn't field a team if you had to be scratch or better. The kid is 14 so a 3.2-handicap is well on his way to being part of the Princeton team. I would definitely advise playing in as many state, junior, regional, and national events as possible.
[/quote]

The general trend of college athletes is to score 2-3 shoots worse at the college level. That being said, a guy who is shoot 75-76 in college was most likely recruited scoring 73-74.

I would say a solid 3 hcp averages about 77, so if he was to follow the trend in college he would shoot around 79 average.

I am not saying that he will not play golf at all in college, but right now his scores are high. He is young, but if he gets better he surely will be able to play.

EDIT: here are the National Collegiate Scouting Guidelines (they know what they are doing)...

Division I
Top DI
Handicap: Scratch or better
18 Hole Average: 72 or under
Top Finishes at National Tournaments (ex. AJGA, FCWT, USGA)
Competes in State and Local Tournaments
Lower DI
Handicap: Equal to or <1
18 Hole Average: 73 or under
Competes in National Tournaments (ex. AJGA, FCWT, USGA)
Division II
Handicap: Equal to or < 2
18 Hole Average: 74 or under
***Some DII coaches require DI standards
Division III
Handicap: Equal to or < 3
18 Hole Average: 75 or under
Preferred Tournaments (AJGA, FCWT, USGA)
***Some DIII coaches require DI standards
NAIA
Top NAIA
Lower NAIA

[quote name='ahl3bomber ' post='2064379' date='Nov 14 2009, 05:39 PM'][quote name='floycota' post='2057796' date='Nov 11 2009, 07:25 AM'][quote name='ahl3bomber ' post='2056690' date='Nov 10 2009, 05:00 PM']just looking at your signature....

below 1 handicap index

p.s.
[/quote]

The general trend of college athletes is to score 2-3 shoots worse at the college level. That being said, a guy who is shoot 75-76 in college was most likely recruited scoring 73-74.

I would say a solid 3 hcp averages about 77, so if he was to follow the trend in college he would shoot around 79 average.

I am not saying that he will not play golf at all in college, but right now his scores are high. He is young, but if he gets better he surely will be able to play.

EDIT: here are the National Collegiate Scouting Guidelines (they know what they are doing)...

Division I
Top DI
Handicap: Scratch or better
18 Hole Average: 72 or under
Top Finishes at National Tournaments (ex. AJGA, FCWT, USGA)
Lower DI
Handicap: Equal to or <1
18 Hole Average: 73 or under
Division II
***Some DII coaches require DI standards
Division III
***Some DIII coaches require DI standards
NAIA
Top NAIA
Lower NAIA
[/quote]
OK, I can site you dozens upon dozens of examples of DI players with scoring averages of 79-81+. I know of a DI school who has a scoring average of 77.5 as a team (they also finished 2nd at the New England Championships this year). There are plenty of 3-handicap players playing DI golf. They aren't going to the best golfing schools and they aren't the best player on the team. I'm played with a lot of college golfers and many of them are equal if not worse than a 3-handicap.

Princeton has some players with stroke averages of 79.75, 79.0, 78.29, 81.2, 78. I would say these guys are probably in line with 3-hanicaps or more. Those guidelines are nice but not completely accurate. I can find many more examples of players with much higher scoring averages playing DI golf. It's not nearly as rare as you might think. You can't say if you are a 3-handicap you can't play DI golf, there are plenty of people out their doing it. You won't be the most attractive candidate but you can definitely play DI if you chose the right school.