2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Pinehurst #2 Conditions

volrus

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='volrus' post='2015526' date='Oct 19 2009, 08:19 PM']Anybody know anything about number 2 in November?[/quote]

It was in pretty good shape on 10/26/09. The greens were a little marked up as the course gets a lot of play. But it didn't seriously affect putting. Fairways/etc. were in good shape.

dave

• 2 weeks later...

[center][color="#285100"]GOLF COURSE MAINTENANCE UPDATE[/color][/center]
[center][b][color="#285100"]November[/color][/b][color="#285100"][b] 4, 2009: [/b]The conditioning level of the courses continues to improve as the overseeding becomes more established. The seedlings have required a moderate amount of irrigation for their establishment. They are now at a stage where we can start limiting the irrigation to enable the firmness to return to the fairways. The 90 degree cart policy seems to be well received and we thank you again for your support.[/color][/center]
[center][color="#285100"][/color] [/center]
[center][color="#285100"]This is from the Pinehurst Member Newsletter. The weather has been perfect for the grass. Expect great conditions.[/color][/center]

I just returned from Pinehurst on Sunday, November 8th. Turf conditions were very good. They had overseeded and fertilized (lots). It was a bit soggy in spots from all the watering (and some rain the week prior). Greens were running a good speed. The practice green was faster than any of the tracks. Looks like it is gonna be pretty wet there this week as TS Ida will be heading that way.

Rumor is they are closing No. 8 for the winter (starting in late November) due to lack of play.

[quote name='CheckJV' post='2054671' date='Nov 9 2009, 03:22 PM']I just returned from Pinehurst on Sunday, November 8th. Turf conditions were very good. They had overseeded and fertilized (lots). It was a bit soggy in spots from all the watering (and some rain the week prior). Greens were running a good speed. The practice green was faster than any of the tracks. Looks like it is gonna be pretty wet there this week as TS Ida will be heading that way.

Rumor is they are closing No. 8 for the winter (starting in late November) due to lack of play.[/quote]

Thankfully they haven't closed it yet, just found out today I'm playing 2 on Thursday and 8 on Friday.

[quote name='volrus' post='2054745' date='Nov 9 2009, 05:05 PM'][quote name='CheckJV' post='2054671' date='Nov 9 2009, 03:22 PM']I just returned from Pinehurst on Sunday, November 8th. Turf conditions were very good. They had overseeded and fertilized (lots). It was a bit soggy in spots from all the watering (and some rain the week prior). Greens were running a good speed. The practice green was faster than any of the tracks. Looks like it is gonna be pretty wet there this week as TS Ida will be heading that way.

Rumor is they are closing No. 8 for the winter (starting in late November) due to lack of play.[/quote]

Thankfully they haven't closed it yet, just found out today I'm playing 2 on Thursday and 8 on Friday.
[/quote]

It is my understanding that the last day of play on No. 8 is 11/30 (not sure when they plan to re-open).

IMHO they have done an exceptional over-seeding job on No. 2 this year. At this point the fariways (other than the fact that I think that there are a ton more unfilled divots than there should be) are ideal right now. We have not yet had a hard freeze so the underlying bermuda is still 'useful', and the rye is doing very well (in part due to all the watering that they did).

dave

[quote name='CheckJV' post='2055226' date='Nov 9 2009, 08:20 PM'][quote name='volrus' post='2054745' date='Nov 9 2009, 05:05 PM']Thankfully they haven't closed it yet, just found out today I'm playing 2 on Thursday and 8 on Friday.[/quote]

Beware a front pin location on the 9th hole of No. 8. Shoot long..do not miss short or left or right, LOL.
[/quote]

Sounds like that is spoken from experience!

[quote name='volrus' post='2055258' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:34 PM']Do the carts have GPS at Pinehurst?[/quote]

No - they do not.

However the flags have laser reflectors so you can catch a pin with a laser (even a cheap one) without a problem from some pretty long distances.

I'm guessing that they have laser devices for rent, but don't know that for sure. If no one verifies this in the meantime, I'll check tomorrow and post the answer.

dave

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' post='2055284' date='Nov 9 2009, 08:52 PM'][quote name='volrus' post='2055258' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:34 PM']Do the carts have GPS at Pinehurst?[/quote]

No - they do not.

However the flags have laser reflectors so you can catch a pin with a laser (even a cheap one) without a problem from some pretty long distances.

I'm guessing that they have laser devices for rent, but don't know that for sure. If no one verifies this in the meantime, I'll check tomorrow and post the answer.

dave
[/quote]

No worries, I was just checking to see if I need to bring my skycaddie.

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' post='2055284' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:52 PM'][quote name='volrus' post='2055258' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:34 PM']Do the carts have GPS at Pinehurst?[/quote]

No - they do not.

dave
[/quote]

Apparently they don't rent laser devices. So your choices are to bring your own laser/GPS, use a caddie, or do it the old fashioned way (pace off from sprinkler head yardages).

And this reminds me of No. 2 story from many years ago. I was playing with a guy who was a pretty decent golfer, but also a bit full of himself. He bragged that, even though he was a member, he only played No. 2 (as if this was the only course 'worthy' of his skills). In his defense he was a good golfer.

I didn't think much about this until the 7th hole when he said "Dave, would you please point out the 183 yard sprinkler head for me". This was well before the laser/GPS era. I looked about 5 yards to my right and low and behold I saw the 183 yard sprinkler head.

So I guess that he had played this course a few times before :-)

dave

I also played #2 on Sunday Nov 8th. The greens have been aerated recently by method of micro-tining so no large cores missing from greens. It didn't affect putts much. I also played #8 on Friday Nov 6th. The front nines' greens are horrible. Looked like they recently sanded them. The back nine was a completely different story. They looked and rolled much better. I even dropped 3 birdies on the back! Good luck getting your rounds in this week due to the rains. We lucked out last weekend. It was in the 70's to low 80's.

Played it yesterday and 8 today a little cool and very windy but not bad overall. I must say I was very disappointed with the condition of 2. I know they had a ton of rain, but those could have been some of the slowest greens I've plAyed in a long time. The course drained very well and I was impressed with that. The fairways were not in very good shape either. HOWEVER, all that being said, the layout, uniqueness of the greens (Ross), and the atmsphere/history saved the day! I honestly had to use every club in the bag! I hesitate to say this, but the course was pretty easy but only because the greens were so slow (Donald only got me once). I shot a 78 from the blue tees and I'm a mid 7 index. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but I think it may be one of those that I will only play once. For my money, I'll play 8!

8 was in great shape and the greens were three times faster than 2. The fairways were in far better shape also. The one bad thing is that it doesn't drain nearly as well as 2 as it was very soupy. I also think it is much tougher than 2. Fazio did a greeat job with the centennial course!

In the end, 2 was great for it's history and atmsphere and layout and 8 was great for conditions and challenge. I'm sure everyone will kill me for my comments about 2, so go ahead and let me have it but it is just my honest opinion.

[quote name='volrus' post='2063227' date='Nov 13 2009, 09:01 PM']I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but I think it may be one of those that I will only play once. For my money, I'll play 8![/quote]

That would be a huge mistake. Visit again and play in spring/summer. I seriously doubt you will play that course twice and leave feeling like it was easy. Also, play #7 sometime and you will not regret it. My folks lived on the 4th green of #7 for years and that is one outstanding golf course. Aside from #2, it is my absolute favorite Pinehurst course. Your time on #2 was effected by weather and conditioning. My father-in-law works with the course maintenance dept of Pinehurst and I will tell him what you said just to see him laugh. Ha ha... Try #2 again in summer. I am sure you will enjoy it more.

Not sure if you are still in town or not, but if so, consider playing Tot Hill Farm in nearby Asheboro. Actually, out in the country, but towards Asheboro. Maybe a 40 minute drive from the heart of Southern Pines. Played it a while back and was absolutely stunned. Mike Stranz out did himself on this one. Check out the website and play it next time you come down if nothing else. Big elevation changes, meticulous conditioning, scenic, and best of all, cheap. An unknown for now so get out and play it while the getting is good. Top shelf course that few know about yet.

[url="http://www.tothillfarm.com/"]http://www.tothillfarm.com/[/url]

• 1 year later...