2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Playing Different Tee's within Same Group

volrus

Do you guys do it?
I frequently play with my boss and clients who are typically around 20+ index. I on the other hand am a 7.5. They are better suited to play the shorter tees (can't handle much more than about 6200 yards) while I'm better suited to play either from the tips or one box in front of the tips. I hate playing the shorter tee box but always do because I don't want to seem like a snob and insist to play from the tips while he plays two boxes in front of me. My question is how do you all handle this? Or, do you just play the shorter tees to make for more opportunities to converse? I'm particularly interested because we're going to play Pinehurst #2 this week and I really would like to see the whole course and not just from the shorter tees!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hopefully your playing any day other then Tuesday....as Tuesday looks like rain......

other then that you should be good to go weather wise here........

Its hard to offer advice on your tee box situation..... if you really want to play the whole course....I dont think anybody would mind dropping you off and pulling the cart up..... or if you enjoy there company.....and feel that your not being tested.....why not test yourself......dont use driver off the tee and use 3 wood and that should equalize your tee shot if you were hitting from the back tee....so your approach shots would be as if you were playing the tips

You are in for a treat.....the course's in pinehurst are all in great shape.....

enjoy your rounds

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2053076' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:05 PM']hopefully your playing any day other then Tuesday....as Tuesday looks like rain......

Its hard to offer advice on your tee box situation..... if you really want to play the whole course....I dont think anybody would mind dropping you off and pulling the cart up..... or if you enjoy there company.....and feel that your not being tested.....why not test yourself......dont use driver off the tee and use 3 wood and that should equalize your tee shot if you were hitting from the back tee....so your approach shots would be as if you were playing the tips

You are in for a treat.....the course's in pinehurst are all in great shape.....

enjoy your rounds[/quote]

Great to hear they are all in great shape! I'm playing 2 on Thursday and 6 (from what I understand probably the least desirable of all of them) on Friday. Best part....it's free (client golf)

Your situation seems a little different than "normal," because you are playing with your boss + clients. Assuming you were not playing with your boss (you were with friends/ parents/ strangers/ etc.) I would say play the tees you want. Playing different tees should put you in a similar place in the fairway and make the round more enjoyable for everyone. With your boss/ clients, it may be better to just stick with the group (especially if it is on their dime). You don't want to alienate anybody.My 2 cents.

[quote name='volrus' post='2053088' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:11 PM'][quote name='OneBowTie' post='2053076' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:05 PM']hopefully your playing any day other then Tuesday....as Tuesday looks like rain......

Great to hear they are all in great shape! I'm playing 2 on Thursday and 6 (from what I understand probably the least desirable of all of them) on Friday. Best part....it's free (client golf)
[/quote]

after reading the above poster's reply....I tend to agree with him, if its on their dime....perhaps you should play as a group with them and same tee box.....then perhaps just use your 3wood and figure you would have same approach as back tee.....

as for 6 being least desirable.....LOL....thats like taking a trip to Pebble and saying you have to play spyglass afterwards...... you will enjoy all the resorts courses....the weather is going to be great for you on both Thurs and Friday.....

let us know what you think of both courses after you have played them......

Believe me, No. 2 from the white tees will be challenge aplenty! However, take a caddie if you can. More trouble to ride No. 2 than to walk it.
You will enjoy No. 6.
I hate playing one guy on one set of tees and the others from another. You hit, go to the next tee and the others are invariably just getting their act together to hit. Drives me nuts.
Enjoy your time in Pinehurst. It is a great place.

With my weekly group yes... although if we are waiting large amounts of time then sometimes I dont. It's gets lonely on the tips by myself :) Biz golf.. play from the same tees always

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2053112' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:21 PM'][quote name='volrus' post='2053088' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:11 PM'][quote name='OneBowTie' post='2053076' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:05 PM']hopefully your playing any day other then Tuesday....as Tuesday looks like rain......

[/quote]

after reading the above poster's reply....I tend to agree with him, if its on their dime....perhaps you should play as a group with them and same tee box.....then perhaps just use your 3wood and figure you would have same approach as back tee.....

as for 6 being least desirable.....LOL....thats like taking a trip to Pebble and saying you have to play spyglass afterwards...... you will enjoy all the resorts courses....the weather is going to be great for you on both Thurs and Friday.....

let us know what you think of both courses after you have played them......
[/quote]

Sounds like I'm handling it correctly...play the same tees although many times it's on my dime...at least until I get reimbursed by the company!

i would play the same tees. it's business golf, you're out there to build relationships, not to see how good a golfer you are. you risk alienating your partners. and if they're having a bad day and you're on fire, i wouldn't pour it on either. not saying to hit bad shots on purpose, but maybe try out some new shots that you're not comfortable. if they're double bogeying every hole and you're birdie birdie birdie, it's probably not very fun day for the group.

My "Friday Golf Group" (a mix of 16 golfers of indexes from 4 to low 20's with a median age in the high 60's) regularly mixes 'Senior Tees' and 'White Tees'. The USGA Handicap Manual describes the handicap adjustments that are appropriate for this situation. And we don't find it a particularly complicating factor either from a scoring or playing perspective.

If you want to 'mix tees' in your situation at Pinehurst No. 2, I would certainly have this discussion in advance. If you sense any kind of a reluctance, I would 'go with the flow'. But in my experience there should not be an issue here. On No. 2 there are only a couple of holes (like 10 and 11) where you will find yourself teeing off from a "totally different place".

Plus all the fun on No. 2 is around the greens anyway.

dave

My post here is probably too late to matter, but for what it is worth, if I were your client in this situation I'd be happy to be playing with you and your boss and I sincerely wouldn't care where you played from.

Further, when I have the opportunity to play with someone better than I am I'm particularly pleased to watch and maybe learn, and would be happy to do so while you were playing from the back tees.

If I were you, I'd just ask the group as you approach the first tee where they want to play from. "You guys want to give this a try from back where the pros play?" Whether they do or not, if the client or your boss is anything like me, they'll make it clear that they'd be happy to watch you play the tips. If they don't do that, just happily join them at the whites as if you never intended to play from separate tees.

I'm curious to learn to how it worked out for you.

[quote name='volrus' post='2053037' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:49 PM']I frequently play with my boss and clients who are typically around 20+ index. I on the other hand am a 7.5. They are better suited to play the shorter tees (can't handle much more than about 6200 yards) while I'm better suited to play either from the tips or one box in front of the tips. I hate playing the shorter tee box but always do because I don't want to seem like a snob and insist to play from the tips while he plays two boxes in front of me. My question is how do you all handle this? Or, do you just play the shorter tees to make for more opportunities to converse? I'm particularly interested because we're going to play Pinehurst #2 this week and I really would like to see the whole course and not just from the shorter tees![/quote]

Sounds like you've been handling it the proper way... However, since you're looking to see what strangers would tell you, could this be a cry for approval? Do you really want to say the hell with them and play the tees of your choice, you deserve it?

I play difficult long courses from tournament or championship tees too. I play with clients and friends that are 18+28 indexes which have a far more enjoyable time playing from the White tees.

Here's my thinking. To begin with you have a choice to play with these people or not, just like I do, regardless of whether or not one is your boss or a client. It's a choice that you and I make. If you or I decide to play with them then the greater purpose has nothing to do with satisfying our own wishes. It's about them, enjoying the camaraderie and or conducting some degree of business; none of which is about our golf game. In other words I play from the tee's that best suite them and our outing.

Remember your priorities, the greater purpose, and your word, make a decision and stick by it, and don't look back; least that's how I live life and make decisions.

Besides, when I need to play from the longer tees I "choose" to tee it up with guys that have similar skills.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

With the boss and clients play with them IMO. On your own, I believe that people should play from the tees that give them the most enjoyable and challenging round of golf. I am not a long hitter and if I can't play from the tips I won't. I don't play golf to torture myself, but to relax, LOL....

Honestly, I have never had a problem playing that way. In fact, people appreciate that I play from the the tees that better suit my game.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

[quote name='Golfer4Life' post='2064587' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:58 PM']In fact, people appreciate that I play from the the tees that better suit my game.[/quote]

Not sure what this means exactly but I know my game (and it's limitations of which there are many) and whether or not I can play the tips.

[quote name='volrus' post='2053037' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:49 PM']I frequently play with my boss and clients who are typically around 20+ index. I on the other hand am a 7.5. They are better suited to play the shorter tees (can't handle much more than about 6200 yards) while I'm better suited to play either from the tips or one box in front of the tips. I hate playing the shorter tee box but always do because I don't want to seem like a snob and insist to play from the tips while he plays two boxes in front of me. My question is how do you all handle this? Or, do you just play the shorter tees to make for more opportunities to converse? I'm particularly interested because we're going to play Pinehurst #2 this week and I really would like to see the whole course and not just from the shorter tees![/quote]
Since this is a "work" round I would play from the shorter tees. You can always leave your woods out of the bag and just play your irons, or use your woods and work on your short game. The work should come first than the golf. Be thankful that you can play golf while you are working. :-)

[quote name='DefConOne' post='2064656' date='Nov 14 2009, 07:52 PM'][quote name='volrus' post='2053037' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:49 PM']I frequently play with my boss and clients who are typically around 20+ index. I on the other hand am a 7.5. They are better suited to play the shorter tees (can't handle much more than about 6200 yards) while I'm better suited to play either from the tips or one box in front of the tips. I hate playing the shorter tee box but always do because I don't want to seem like a snob and insist to play from the tips while he plays two boxes in front of me. My question is how do you all handle this? Or, do you just play the shorter tees to make for more opportunities to converse? I'm particularly interested because we're going to play Pinehurst #2 this week and I really would like to see the whole course and not just from the shorter tees![/quote]
Since this is a "work" round I would play from the shorter tees. You can always leave your woods out of the bag and just play your irons, or use your woods and work on your short game. The work should come first than the golf. Be thankful that you can play golf while you are working. :-)

[/quote]

Believe me I am! My wife tells me I've got the almost dream job in that while not being a professional golfer (everyone's real dream job on WRX), I still get paid a very good salary to play golf! I don't get to play that much for work, but I do probably get in about 4 rounds a month that are on the house where I do get paid to play I guess.

[quote name='volrus' post='2064596' date='Nov 14 2009, 08:05 PM'][quote name='Golfer4Life' post='2064587' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:58 PM']In fact, people appreciate that I play from the the tees that better suit my game.[/quote]

Not sure what this means exactly but I know my game (and it's limitations of which there are many) and whether or not I can play the tips.
[/quote]

What it means, in my case, is that I would never play from tees that I can't enjoy or play the game to the best of my abilites. It had nothing to do with you and I hope you didn't take it as a jab or personal, because it was not.

If you can play the long tees and feel confident about it, by all means. If I was playing with you, I would be playing from the white or blue tees because those are the tees that suit my game, and I would have no problem with you or anybody playing from the long tees. Not only is the right thing to do IMO, but it keeps good pace of play.

I have played with many people that don't have the game to play from the long tees and it is a torture, is like they are trying to prove something, LOL....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

[quote name='Golfer4Life' post='2064742' date='Nov 14 2009, 08:57 PM'][quote name='volrus' post='2064596' date='Nov 14 2009, 08:05 PM'][quote name='Golfer4Life' post='2064587' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:58 PM']In fact, people appreciate that I play from the the tees that better suit my game.[/quote]

[/quote]

I have played with many people that don't have the game to play from the long tees and it is a torture, is like they are trying to prove something, LOL....
[/quote]

Yep, nothing more frustrating for you and them! No problems, I just wasn't sure what you meant. :drinks:

[quote name='volrus' post='2064730' date='Nov 14 2009, 09:49 PM'][quote name='DefConOne' post='2064656' date='Nov 14 2009, 07:52 PM'][quote name='volrus' post='2053037' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:49 PM']I frequently play with my boss and clients who are typically around 20+ index. I on the other hand am a 7.5. They are better suited to play the shorter tees (can't handle much more than about 6200 yards) while I'm better suited to play either from the tips or one box in front of the tips. I hate playing the shorter tee box but always do because I don't want to seem like a snob and insist to play from the tips while he plays two boxes in front of me. My question is how do you all handle this? Or, do you just play the shorter tees to make for more opportunities to converse? I'm particularly interested because we're going to play Pinehurst #2 this week and I really would like to see the whole course and not just from the shorter tees![/quote]

[/quote]

Believe me I am! My wife tells me I've got the almost dream job in that while not being a professional golfer (everyone's real dream job on WRX), I still get paid a very good salary to play golf! I don't get to play that much for work, but I do probably get in about 4 rounds a month that are on the house where I do get paid to play I guess.
[/quote]

Volrus.... I hope you didn't get a complete soak out for number 2

darn hurricane......

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2065935' date='Nov 15 2009, 05:36 PM'][quote name='volrus' post='2064730' date='Nov 14 2009, 09:49 PM'][quote name='DefConOne' post='2064656' date='Nov 14 2009, 07:52 PM'][quote name='volrus' post='2053037' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:49 PM']I frequently play with my boss and clients who are typically around 20+ index. I on the other hand am a 7.5. They are better suited to play the shorter tees (can't handle much more than about 6200 yards) while I'm better suited to play either from the tips or one box in front of the tips. I hate playing the shorter tee box but always do because I don't want to seem like a snob and insist to play from the tips while he plays two boxes in front of me. My question is how do you all handle this? Or, do you just play the shorter tees to make for more opportunities to converse? I'm particularly interested because we're going to play Pinehurst #2 this week and I really would like to see the whole course and not just from the shorter tees![/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Volrus.... I hope you didn't get a complete soak out for number 2

darn hurricane......
[/quote]

Actually, it really didn't rain at all except for one hole and the course drained great. However, I was very disappointed in the condition of the course in terms of greens, fairways, and tees. It just wasn't in very good shape at all. They got a lot of rain for sure, but the greens were still much slower than they should have been...especially compared to the greens on #8. The greens were so slow the course was pretty much defenseless, I even saw balls stop on the sides of some of the false fronts! Regardless, the experience was great due to the atmosphere and layout.

I'm glad you got to play without the rain..... sorry to hear about the conditions of 2..... we have had so much rain lately (and seems like before the rain we have been on a 3 year drought) that perhaps that was adding to 2's slow greens..... I have never heard of balls staying on the false fronts, wow, that is like shag grass...lol

at least you did get to play...... with that hurricane bringing all that rain in the area, just playing was a victory....

[quote name='phil75070' post='2053177' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:50 PM']"Business golf"? Play the same tees as the boss and clients. Playing as a single paired up with another group or with your buddies? Play from what ever tees ring your bell.[/quote]

[quote name='Johnny' post='2053180' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:52 PM']With my weekly group yes... although if we are waiting large amounts of time then sometimes I dont. It's gets lonely on the tips by myself :) Biz golf.. play from the same tees always[/quote]

[quote name='heisagoalie' post='2053222' date='Nov 8 2009, 09:19 PM']i agree, with business golf, play with the group.[/quote]

agreed.

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2066977' date='Nov 16 2009, 09:35 AM']I'm glad you got to play without the rain..... sorry to hear about the conditions of 2..... we have had so much rain lately (and seems like before the rain we have been on a 3 year drought) that perhaps that was adding to 2's slow greens..... I have never heard of balls staying on the false fronts, wow, that is like shag grass...lol

at least you did get to play...... with that hurricane bringing all that rain in the area, just playing was a victory....[/quote]

Yeah, one of the caddies said he didn't think he had ever seen a ball stop on the side of the slope like that. Number 8 was in great condition (decent speed on the greens also), but it was soaking wet with casual water pretty much everywhere so I can definitely say #2 drains very well compared to 8 because it was like it hadn't really rained on the fairways at 2.