2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Are "staff" bags too pretentious for Amateurs?

[quote name='mikec222' date='01 December 2009 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1259722382' post='2096699']
I can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with frozen rope.

Don't buy a staff bag, I don't know about where you live, but if you lugged one of those around, you would be the kind of person that the guys in the proshop and backshop rip up as soon as you leave the shop.
[/quote]

Pffft...Just remember while you are out on the course having fun all day, the "pros" are stuck in that shop trying to get people like us to buy things. Judged by that measure, I am a hell of a lot more successful with my career than the guys working in the shop are in theirs. In the end we are the one's that get the last laugh.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want it, buy it. Not my place to tell anyone how to spend their $.

I will say the guy I saw with a huge Callaway staff bag with his name and the Superman logo embroidered on the back who duffed one off the first tee that day made me shake my head and just verbally assault him during the round with my buddies.

[quote name='tjy355' date='02 December 2009 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1259790840' post='2098813']
[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098668' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:52 PM']Not true. Name on the bag is deifinitely an honor which must be earned. You will never, ever , see a top collegiate or aspiring Tour professional ever have his name on his golf bag. In the world of high level golf that is not done.
Name on the bag is for when the player has earned it as a professional.[/quote]

You've said it three times now.

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098668' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:52 PM']Along the same lines, most top collegiates and amateurs aspiring to play professionaly will refuse an invitation to play Augusta, unless that invitation is an earned one, from the tournament committee, to play in the Masters.[/quote]

frozen_rope. Often wrong, never in doubt.
[/quote]

It must be true then...:beee:

I played on my college team as a walk-on for a couple years, back in the stone age when we used persimmon and balata. First thing they did when I made the team was issue me a carry bag in school colors with my name on it. A nice fancy one, just like the scholarship guys got. Guess it was just a mistake, but IIRC the whole conference had names on their bags. We must have been totally out of sync with the rest of the golf world.

You want a staff bag with your name on it? I say go for it. It's your bag, not mine and you can decorate it any way you want, and more power to you.

I'm still going to look into the blinky light thing. :D

Honestly, this thread has gotten long enough that I can't remember whether or not I added my opinion to it.......so I'll add my opinion to it.

Who cares? Really? The only time I would get on anyone for carrying one would be the stereotypical pretentious Titleist junkie with a 30 handicap and a bag full of shiny 690 mb's and Vokeys and a Tour Cameron dressed and looking like DLIII. That guy would get a terrific load of crap from me and everyone I know. Do NOT be that guy.

Anyone else? I'd tell them what a sweet bag I think they have. My first real bag was a sick green and white MacGregor staff bag that I pitched because of a broken zipper. As a result, I'm not-so-secretly jealous of anyone who has a staff bag. And if an old MacGregor bag popped up, I'd use it again without hesitation. Might even stitch my name on it for safe-keeping. Or install blinky lights.........

TM R15
TM Burner 3W (old.....)
TM RBZ 19 degree
WS Fybrid 4 hybrid
Ping Karsten 5-UW
Ping iWedge 54+58
Scotty Squareback 2

Do I need a 4-iron?

• 2 weeks later...

My thought's on staff bags.

They are big and bulky.
They look pretty cool.
They are impractical unless you are in a cart or you have a caddy.
They are fantastic for holding tons of extra clubs.
They are great if you play in spots where they get alot of rain since you can store rain gear and towels galore.
Some come with kegs. (what's not to like)

I recently joined a multi course club and my home course is cart mandatory. A staff bag is something I'm considering buying. I can leave it with all the gear I need at my home course as well as additional clubs. I typically have 6 wedges on the go at any time, a couple of different drivers, and a few different fairway woods and hybrids. A staff bag would be great for holding all of it unlike my Ogio Vaporlite which is maxed out at 14 clubs but which I love for walking a course.

My thoughts on people who have sanctomonious opinions of people who have staff bags.

You worry too much about things that don't really matter.

Interesting that I never thought this was an issue until reading all of the posts here. I bought my Nike staff bag because I think it looks cool and it matches my Nike drivers head covers very well. It makes me warm and giddy when I see it. I've never thought about embroidering it with my name, but that might make me feel even more warm and giddy inside... so I may just do that. I think when I feel warm and giddy, my game is significantly better. Now that the new Nike driver headcovers are "red", I'm inclined to have to purchase a victory red staff bag because yellow and red doesn't seem to match and doesn't make me warm and giddy.

It would be my opinion that if having a staff bag makes you warm and giddy and helps improve your game, then go for it. If having a staff bag makes you feel insecure, then no, stick with your carry bag.

It's really quite easy, it's not like we're talking about using a circa 1993 wedge in tournament competition.... yahoo.gif

There's no difference between having your name on the back of the jersey or on the side of a bag. Its your bag, do whatever the hell you want to do with it. I find it pretty pretentious to have the belief that you must somehow earn the right to put YOUR name on a bag you BOUGHT or RECEIVED.

But since you created this thread, you'll always be wondering "Are they snickering or talking about me because of my bag?"

[quote name='frozen_rope' date='01 December 2009 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1259717359' post='2096488']
9" or 9.5" staff bag is perfect for cart riding. The clubs slide in and out easily, much better on a cart than any carry bag or cart bag. Also, in the trunk of a car or on airplanes the hard sided staff bag protects the clubs. If one rides a cart, staff bag is definitely the way to go.
However, personalizing a bag with the player's name is a right earned by Tour players, and only Tour players.
Amateurs should never, ever, have their name embroidered or silk screened on their golf bag. Name on the bag must be EARNED through excellent play to qualify for a major professional Tour.
[/quote]

So these are only reserved for TOUR pros as you call them. Therefore, those of us who ACTUALLY WORK in the golf business while keeping up our games do not deserve staff bags with our names on them? I'm a pro, but I'm not a TOUR pro. I guess I should tell Titleist that I am unable to be on staff with them since I am not a TOUR pro. Sorry guys, didn't know I was in the wrong!

IMO, if you have a good self esteem, you can definitely game a staff bag. If you have a low self esteem, like the people who complain about staff bags, you shouldn't carry one. They are not for everyone... just the people who don't care what insecure people think.

For those people in the pro shop making fun of staff bags, those are the same d**chebags who give golf a bad name.

Bottom line, work on your self esteem, and then buy a staff bag. Though, I am pretty sure no one over the age of 20 will make fun of you regardless. That is just something you grow out of.

Mr. Wolfe

Like i said before in the post, I've seen guys on the course who look homeless and shoot under par consistently, and others who look like they just walked off a damn TaylorMade commercial who couldn't hit a ball over 150 yards if their life depended on it. If you like the bag, rock it. What you're bagging or wearing makes no difference at all if you throw scores up.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

Late to the thread, but a bag is a bag is a bag.

Use what you like....just don't *act* like the bag.

(ie, staff bag-type equals "know it all pro", Mackenzie Walker-type equals "traditionalist looking down on everyone else", etc)

Cheers

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 3 weeks later...

Throwing in my two cents.

Love the staff bag look, but if I rolled up to my club lugging that thing with my name plastered on it, people would think Im Al Cervizk (sp?) and a beer spigot's gunna pop out of it. At the same time, my current Ping Hoofer is a cheap POC - seams are already busting and stands are bowing. If this thing lasts a year, I'll be surprised.

As an alternative - what do you fellas think of the Mackenzie bag? I think this is pretty hot. I'm also big on walking and caddies:

[url="http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/section.cfm?wProductID=6919&wSectionID=2835"]http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/section.cfm?wProductID=6919&wSectionID=2835[/url]

Not clear this bag would stand up to a high frequency of play either...

[quote name='JofZ' date='23 February 2010 - 11:47 PM' timestamp='1266965232' post='2272458']
I don't find this apples to apples at all. The 58 is nothing like the AP2, the CB is much closer to the 58.
The AP2 has a large top line, is rather forgiving, and has a mushy click to it. The CB is smoother with a smaller top line, the back of the club can be seen on 3-5.
The 58's aren't as forgiving, have a smaller top line, are butter smooth and I lost a ton of yardage regardless of shaft.

I wound up buying a combo set of Miura's and couldn't be happier. My center deviation was dramatically reduced, my yardage stayed the same, ball flight stayed the same and I have more control over the ball. It's all about personal pref.

58 is closer to the CB
68 to the MB
AP's are closer to the MX
[/quote]

I have to agree with you. I think the AP2's were much more forgiving than the MP58. I think that the MP58's almost felt like Titleist CB and I didn't like the CB's at all. They were to hard for me to hit consistent!

[quote name='Golf-Junkie' date='02 March 2010 - 05:24 AM' timestamp='1267503876' post='2287093']

Love the staff bag look, but if I rolled up to my club lugging that thing with my name plastered on it, people would think Im Al Cervizk (sp?) and a beer spigot's gunna pop out of it. At the same time, my current Ping Hoofer is a cheap POC - seams are already busting and stands are bowing. If this thing lasts a year, I'll be surprised.

As an alternative - what do you fellas think of the Mackenzie bag? I think this is pretty hot. I'm also big on walking and caddies:

[url="http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/section.cfm?wProductID=6919&wSectionID=2835"]http://www.themacken...wSectionID=2835[/url]

[/quote]

I'd rather have a staff bag than that leather trunk that costs 735$.

That price is pretty sick but if you like it go for it. I think it is pretty cool when a guy that have like 20 years old clubs and bag comes to the course and shoot under par. But I still think it is even more cool when a pro comes to the course dressed like a pro with a beautiful staff bag and all the latest equipment and shoot under par. But that is just me, club freak haha!

Good night ladies and gentlemen.

/Williamo

[quote name='Golf-Junkie' date='01 March 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1267503876' post='2287093']

[url="http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/section.cfm?wProductID=6919&wSectionID=2835"]http://www.themacken...wSectionID=2835[/url]

[/quote]

Iliac golf makes some really nice walking bags, out of leather, for less money. I think that the Purist Stripe looks really nice. If I had the coin, I would have one. Then, I would get it a bit dirty, so as not too look, well, hmmm....., you know.

Personally, I got a Titleist collapsible bag to take 5 or so clubs to the dome. I am liking it so much that I may use it with about 12 clubs, which is about all i can manage in any event.

But then, I like light.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

They probably are. Having said that, this winter I was in the market for a cart bag that would stand on it's own. I wanted it for the indoor season - something with huge pockets (for my shoes and a change of clothing).

I checked out a few, then inquired about the demo bags hanging on the wall. I picked up this mint condition bad boy for $70.

I love it - and I don't even care for Callaway clubs - go figure.

10034955.jpg

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

I have the 10.5" Titleist Fitting Works staff bag. Sometimes in the summer when I sneak up to play just a few holes late at night I carry the thing because I can't bothered with a pull cart or swapping bags over

People must think I'm daft, insane or eccentric, certainly not a poser,

Good way to lose weight and stay fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course Staff bags are pretentious. That's why when I play golf I wear jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers. I carry my Ultra golf balls and whittled tees in a hefty garbage bag. My putter is an old rusty bolt welded to a piece of re-bar with wrapped electrical tape for a grip. I use a gardening glove. My clubs only cost 25 bucks at Wal-Mart and I carry them in an old burlap sack.

I don't ever, ever, ever play anything that a pro plays or uses because OMG I don't want anyone calling me a poser. Plus I haven't earned the right to play any pro equipment anyway. I'm just a lowly amateur. I'm not worthy.

(I will remove my tongue from my cheek now)

Play and use what you want. Remember who ever criticizes your equipment choices haven't paid for them nor are they sponsoring you. So, until then their opinion is worth exactly what they paid. In other words, if someone doesn't like your choice of golf bag just tell them to go buy you the one they want you to play.