sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Seems as though I recall reading there's some fussiness with getting Zings properly placed in a bending machine.  Certainly worth the drive to someone who knows what they're doing.  Do it right the first time and be done with it.  

Good for you, taking your son to the tournament.  The smile says it all.  Attending professional golf tournaments is such great fun.  Watching the pros play, up close and personal, is an amazing experience.  They hit the ball so pure!

Have many fond recollections of attending tournaments with my father.  With where I reside, been fortunate to have many regular PGA and USGA events nearby.  The Buick Open was a regular PGA tour stop (1958 - 2009) about 15 miles away.  First I can recall was back in the late 60's or thereabouts.  He worked for General Motors (Buick being a brand), so would always score free tickets. We'd usually attended on Friday, so we could watch everyone before the cut.  Make a day of it.  

Oakland Hills C. C. has hosted 6 U.S Open's and 3 PGA's over the years.  Attended the '79 PGA (David Graham winner) and the '91 U.S. Senior Open (Jack Nicklaus winner) with him.  The last tournament was the '04 Ryder Cup there.  Attending on Wednesday, practice day.  Wasn't overly crowded so could get pretty close.  We both made notice of how loose and engaging the Euros were.  Darren Clarke was something of a hoot as I recall.  Was joking around with a number of spectators, made a comment about being ready to go have a beer (LOL).  In stark contrast with the Americans, who all seemed rather uptight (except for Phil).  Not surprised that the Euros won the competition 18.5 to 9.5.  Based on nothing more than demeanor.  

Sadly, it was the last "event" we attended together.  He passed away that November 16th from a heart attack.  Out on a golf course (he was a pretty fair golfer), playing with friends, after winning a skin on the prior hole.  Just slumped over in the cart and passed.  We don't get to choose how we leave.  But given the eventuality, not a bad way to go.  

Take advantage of every opportunity to share experiences.  For time passes all too quickly.  

‘Oh really’ - on getting the Pings to sit ‘just so’ when adjusting. You could well be right !

I do know when I’ve seen it done at Gainsborough (The Ping factory in the U.K): they have a very large,very solid vice. Bolted to a solid metal bench. All bolted to a solid concrete  floor. When you bend there - all the force goes into bending the hosel - and they literally bend like butter.

**I also know if you try the same in a half-arsed workshop at home; with cheap wooden benches - not bolted down etc - a lot of the force goes elsewhere and the floor vibrates, the walls bow, the vice strains, the windows shake……but the Ping iron is likely to laugh at you and not budge. They are about as tough as they come. And as you say therefore need doing right - more than others perhaps.

Great memories of watching events with your Father my friend [‘Thanks General Motors 😂 ] Sounds like you and your Dad spent some quality time on the course together watching the big boys. Also sounds like with where you live - you were able to attend some quality events / venues doing that together too. No one can ever take that away……. 🙏

And you’re so right on making the most of time. 
    It was my middle sons (The golfer) 21st birthday early August. We spent a weekend away playing near his Birthday; and of course watching the BMW this week as part of his celebrations. I certainly enjoyed it ! ***Seems it’s cool to play it cool - and not get too excited as a youngster. But I think his smile says it all 😎 So looking forward to doing it again: seeing as it’s a shared common interest.

Thanks for your comments / thoughts and have a great weekend yourself.

• Like 1

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

• sevenfourate changed the title to sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8

Congratulations on the B'day AND HIO!!!  And to be able to experience both with 748 Junior.  (Note a wry smile on his face.)  Most excellent.  I'd say the Zingers are trustworthy.....at least for a singular moment in time.  🎂 🏌️‍♂️ 🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

On 9/13/2021 at 10:48 AM, Fellaheen51 said:

Congratulations on the B'day AND HIO!!!  And to be able to experience both with 748 Junior.  (Note a wry smile on his face.)  Most excellent.  I'd say the Zingers are trustworthy.....at least for a singular moment in time.  🎂 🏌️‍♂️ 🍻

THANKS my friend. Crazy day to get one hey 😉 

Not too exciting: but the last couple of weeks I’ve been messing around with gloves. Ie: what contributes half of the only contact point we have on the club !

I’m just so stuck in a rut with golf equipment 😅………

I was using a Footjoy Sci-Flex glove for years. And loved them. I didn’t realise they’d finished making them and eventually stumbled onto the newer FLX model. A few weeks ago I went to buy some more of those  - wondering why I couldn’t find them - and again not realising it was now an old model 🤦‍♂️

So I tried a TaylorMade Tour Preferred. Nice: but the Lycra ‘contour fit’ section on the back of the palm of the previously used FJ’s just suited me better. The TM felt too ‘old skool’ for me (?) Never thought I’d say that about anything ever 😂😂

So I go onto the Footjoy website and see what the latest reincarnation of the glove range I like is……

Home sweet home ! Right out of the packet. Feels so good having a glove you’re 200% happy with. I must just have FJ shaped paws:

8hYljVz.jpg

• Like 1

Where's 'da fairway?  Don't see one in those pics.  Admire UK courses, but Beccles appears to be a wee bit challenging.  Lotta "gorsey" lies.  Even in the middle of an alleged fairway. 

Congrats to Sevenfourate the Younger on breaking 80.  No matter the course, or the par.  Breaking 80 is breaking 80 regardless.  

As noted elsewhere.  One is allowed only one HIO per week.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2021 at 11:09 AM, sevenfourate said:

THANKS my friend. Crazy day to get one hey 😉 

Not too exciting: but the last couple of weeks I’ve been messing around with gloves. Ie: what contributes half of the only contact point we have on the club !

I’m just so stuck in a rut with golf equipment 😅………

I was using a Footjoy Sci-Flex glove for years. And loved them. I didn’t realise they’d finished making them and eventually stumbled onto the newer FLX model. A few weeks ago I went to buy some more of those  - wondering why I couldn’t find them - and again not realising it was now an old model 🤦‍♂️

So I tried a TaylorMade Tour Preferred. Nice: but the Lycra ‘contour fit’ section on the back of the palm of the previously used FJ’s just suited me better. The TM felt too ‘old skool’ for me (?) Never thought I’d say that about anything ever 😂😂

So I go onto the Footjoy website and see what the latest reincarnation of the glove range I like is……

Home sweet home ! Right out of the packet. Feels so good having a glove you’re 200% happy with. I must just have FJ shaped paws:

8hYljVz.jpg

First off congrats on your HIO and with Vintage Pings to boot. Can tell where you are coming from on the gloves. Cabretta gloves I sweat so bad over in this hot and humid area and they get hard in a hurry. The past few years I have been using Wilson Wally Mart specials because they are cheap and hold up well. My home course has a strong Srixon presence. I had won several Srixon all weather gloves in different events. ended up loving those things pretty durable for me and the design wicks off moisture so they stay dryer. My Srixon gloves seem to be the same as the FJs you posted. More than likely made at the same place in some 3rd world company. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

19 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Due to very recent work on the greens at my home club; myself and mini-me decided to head for my old stomping ground. [Beccles GC, Suffolk, England] A very short course of 5600 yards / Par 68……but also extremely tight in places with plenty of gorse to counteract it’s lack of length.

The Zing2’s continue to grow on me. And no issues with flyers / cast feel / clunky-ness or anything else. Distance seems maybe a hair up on the X22 Tours - shafts here the difference I’m sure as lofts / lengths are identical. The new wood shafts don’t seem to have dramatically increased launch or apex height if I’m honest 🤷‍♂️ But: I do now realise how ‘harsh’ both the old wood / hybrid - and PX 6.5 iron shafts were on these 50 year olds joints 😳

Culmination is; I feel so much better after a round than I did / was starting to previously. And the actual strike I’m getting now is a little more pure - and a lot less ‘slappy’. Which it was starting to feel more often than not……

Beautiful day out there in the U.K. My Son broke 80 for the first time (Yea, yea - with a low Par admittedly). And I shot a level Par 68. Which will see my handicap go up. But that’s golf……😎

Son putting on the 8th:

axIJgtt.jpg

Me putting on the 2nd:

UkPh3uu.jpg

Son driving on the 4th:

xwbiIPE.jpg

Cheers.

LOL got a chuckle about the stiff 6.5 shafts and a 50 year old body-- I can somewhat relate at 64 ( next weekend) with a broke back to boot. But I have somewhat rehabbed myself. I had worked hard at it the last year or so. Never thought it would happen again but I did the vintage thing this week in fact played 4 days. Never thought I would be able to hit my FC-4000s with Pro Pel 2 shafts or  persimmon woods with the same shaft. In fact I hit the FCs so good they are in the front line bag. Been playing them all week with no pain or stiffness. Now I will concurr with no illusions that 6.5s will be quite a stretch for me. I guess I was around 57 or so I started weaning myself away from S-300s and such. My pro was on Nike staff and had a beautiful set of Nike Blades with X-100s in them. He had me hit them and I hit a couple real well. He said it was BS that I was getting away form my S-300s and such. I told him I still can command some Swing Speed when needed but could not hold up with them for 9 holes much less 18. This was the period I was coming to the fact I was not the invinciable Iron Man I once was. LOL put the testorone card away and moved to softer shafts and up one set of tees. Now days I take things in stride and realized how blessed I am to be able to walk much less play golf decently. Time I got to 60 I was looking forward to moving up to the gold senior tees. LOL I remember the day I turned 60 i marched into my former club ( now closed for more housing) with my ID in hand and stated Here it is I am offically 60 now I am moving up to the gold tees and you SOBs are in trouble now. Yep I went full circle from fighting moving up to the mid tees to relishing the gold tee move. I tried to throw some BS on one of the guys the other day. I hit my 7 wood into a green and told him I was playing old folks golf now. One of my buds was down and told him do not let me BS him Back in the day I carried a laminate 6 wood and carried and hit a 1 iron too. My friend also noted I manuliputed that 7 wood like I did the old 6 wood-- Yep I always done odd ball stuff whether golf or racing

• Like 3

Ha!  Confirms by initial thought this morning:  "That looks like a damn cow pasture".  Surmise it's an all carry, limited roll out course.  Would be fun to experience, in a Days of Yore sorta way.  

Don't typically wear a glove.  Unless it hot and humid and the hands get sweaty, or in damp drizzle conditions.  Started when I tossed a torn and tattered glove in the garbage mid-round.  Discovered that I kinda liked playing without one.  On to five years or better now.  

Made no sense to buy one pricey glove to use only on occasion.  Bought a 4-pack of the Ksig gloves (from Costco here in the States).  Average price ~$6.00 per.  Relatively disposable.  When needed, seem to work just fine.  One still serviceable from last year, three left in reserve.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

First off congrats on your HIO and with Vintage Pings to boot. Can tell where you are coming from on the gloves. Cabretta gloves I sweat so bad over in this hot and humid area and they get hard in a hurry. The past few years I have been using Wilson Wally Mart specials because they are cheap and hold up well. My home course has a strong Srixon presence. I had won several Srixon all weather gloves in different events. ended up loving those things pretty durable for me and the design wicks off moisture so they stay dryer. My Srixon gloves seem to be the same as the FJs you posted. More than likely made at the same place in some 3rd world company. 

It’s gets warm here - but not humid like I imagine you do. Certainly need to take into account breathability in a glove  going forward. You’d think I’d be older and wiser 🤦‍♂️

64 coming up. Happy Birthday my friend ! Even at 50 I’m now starting to realise I’m not immortal. Going to take a little more effort to stay ‘golf fit. And moving up some tees isn’t so straightforward here. But I’m not enjoying the longer courses so much these days for sure. Just feels a slog….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2021 at 6:07 AM, sevenfourate said:

Beccles Golf Club is amazing. A true step back in time. It’s been there on Common land (Available for select Beccles residents to graze cattle on) since 1899 !

Its an absolute time warp course. Kind of an inland links with heather and gorse, fairways are raw and not a flat lie on the place. Greens are divine though - if tiny. And it’s hugely fun - and challenging.

**The ‘clubhouse’ is an old converted cow-shed. And it’s usual to turn up; put £5 in the honesty box (Like many secluded courses in Scotland) and go out and pray. I mean play 🤣 

519EA72A-317E-4C77-8C43-D6288023798B.jpeg

0735B590-7894-4353-8261-E4EBABE8AD51.jpeg

MAN!!!! ---- My kind of place

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 7:06 AM, Fellaheen51 said:

Ha!  Confirms by initial thought this morning:  "That looks like a damn cow pasture".  Surmise it's an all carry, limited roll out course.  Would be fun to experience, in a Days of Yore sorta way.  

Don't typically wear a glove.  Unless it hot and humid and the hands get sweaty, or in damp drizzle conditions.  Started when I tossed a torn and tattered glove in the garbage mid-round.  Discovered that I kinda liked playing without one.  On to five years or better now.  

Made no sense to buy one pricey glove to use only on occasion.  Bought a 4-pack of the Ksig gloves (from Costco here in the States).  Average price ~$6.00 per.  Relatively disposable.  When needed, seem to work just fine.  One still serviceable from last year, three left in reserve.  

When the prices on gloves starting getting real pricey a few years ago I tried the no glove thing. For me and this is another one of my anal things I tend to grip the club too hard. I do not use a glove putting or on like bump and runs with a 5 iron but otherwise yes I use one. The Wally World gloves were around $5 each and when I went there I usually bought 5 at a time. I think those are the same as the Costco ones they look the same besides the brand name. I do like the Srixon gloves and have won over the last 2 years about 6 of them. Just now ran down on Wilsons and started using the Srixon ones. More than likely when those wear out I will pay about $2 more for the Srixon gloves and buy them at the course to help support my course. I would rather spend money at the course and support my local folks than support corporate greed

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

MAN!!!! ---- My kind of place

Stu - you’d love it. It’s a breath of fresh air. Old school golf in its purist form. Like going back in time 100 years course architecture wise. But with flat tees and fab greens….

Being a ‘robot’ here won’t help you. You’ll need every club and every shot in the book. Isn’t that how a round of golf should be ?

Many many turn up and call it quirky, Mickey-mouse or all other manner of less than complimentary terms. No one kills the par; and most struggle to play within 5-10 of their handicaps. Perhaps without a few games to acclimatise at least. Perhaps that’s why their not fans 😅

• Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 7:30 AM, sevenfourate said:

It’s gets warm here - but not humid like I imagine you do. Certainly need to take into account breathability in a glove  going forward. You’d think I’d be older and wiser 🤦‍♂️

64 coming up. Happy Birthday my friend ! Even at 50 I’m now starting to realise I’m not immortal. Going to take a little more effort to stay ‘golf fit. And moving up some tees isn’t so straightforward here. But I’m not enjoying the longer courses so much these days for sure. Just feels a slog….

Yep this Sunday if the Lord lets me live that long.

I know the deal on hitting longer clubs into Par 4s etc. The little Tour I was playing on here had an event in Charlotte one year. Of course I was in the Senior Division. When I got to the course there were no seniors signed up. They were going to refund my money on the 2 day event. I said I would play with the limberbacks. After all it did not cost me any lodging etc because we were staying at MIL's house. LOL those 2 days I managed to catch lightning in a jar so to speak. Managed to hit quite a few 3 and 7 woods into greens and putted well. Ended up finishing in the money. Got a sponsors invite to a Carolinas Hooters event the next week. They really liked the fact they did not have to pay food and lodging for me. Played up at Hickory NC at a course I knew well. Same deal I did pretty well held my own hitting 3 and 7 woods into par 4s and on a couple of Par 3s had to hit a high cut driver. But another excellent putting week. This was about the time the mini tours in general were dying out around here and I decided to retire from comp. I knew in reality that one could only catch lightning in a jar only so many times. I played one other Pro event about 2 years later. It was a CGA / CPGA sanctioned event on a course I played well here. Ended up winning the 55-60 division. Have not played a event since. I decided to retire from comp then, too much crap about conforming wedges etc. And really I was at the stage of life I did not want to practice or play everyday. The last 6 years or so i have played or practiced when and where I want to and I am having the most fun in golf I ever have. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

Stu - you’d love it. It’s a breath of fresh air. Old school golf in its purist form. Like going back in time 100 years course architecture wise. But with flat tees and fab greens….

Being a ‘robot’ here won’t help you. You’ll need every club and every shot in the book. Isn’t that how a round of golf should be ?

Many many turn up and call it quirky, Mickey-mouse or all other manner of less than complimentary terms. No one kills the par; and most struggle to play within 5-10 of their handicaps. Perhaps without a few games to acclimatise at least. Perhaps that’s why their not fans 😅

That IMHO is they type of course you do not worry about the score. You take a deep breath and look taking  the surroundings all in. Most folks now days (except us old farts) do not realize the Scots invented the game of golf and it was meant to be played on the ground and those grounds were Sheep pastures and not in manicured pristine shape. To me now days it is fun when you get some of those funky bounces. One of the things I love about my now home course is you can get some funky bounces good or bad and that is how the course plays. My course is a good layout and plays differently on the course than the yardage seems to indicate. Yep sometimes you have to create a shot and use the imagination. Yeah I would love to play your course with a combination of Hickory and steel shafted persimmon to heck with the score on the card

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

That IMHO is they type of course you do not worry about the score. You take a deep breath and look taking  the surroundings all in. Most folks now days (except us old farts) do not realize the Scots invented the game of golf and it was meant to be played on the ground and those grounds were Sheep pastures and not in manicured pristine shape. To me now days it is fun when you get some of those funky bounces. One of the things I love about my now home course is you can get some funky bounces good or bad and that is how the course plays. My course is a good layout and plays differently on the course than the yardage seems to indicate. Yep sometimes you have to create a shot and use the imagination. Yeah I would love to play your course with a combination of Hickory and steel shafted persimmon to heck with the score on the card

Absolutely agree with you 200%.

Exactly the same for me when I head to some of the UK’s finest links - on the East Coast (Cromer, Royal West Norfolk, Sheringham, Hunstanton etc) and not 50 miles from me.

If you turn up there with a card, an ego and any intention of being made to look good; you’re likely to end your day disappointed.

Like you - I go to admire the raw-ness, enjoy the scenery, embrace the challenge and quite frankly be humbled. Every now and again it’s good to be made to look / feel ‘small’ and have a scorecard make you realise you failed. It’s how we take stock, realise our failures and improve going forward. IMHO 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Looked in the forum directory: but couldn’t see a relevant section to post this 🤷‍♂️ So may aswell post in my own WITB thread…

Last couple of months I’ve been retracing my golfing past and collecting the last few Ballmarkers from courses I’ve played, bag-tags from events / courses I’ve visited, had some momento’s made for course records I’ve held or still hold  / exceptionally low rounds I’ve played etc etc and even found a putter made in the very early 1900’s by the Pro then at my local club: and the course I first put bat to ball on…..

Anyone else got a collection on ‘Nic-Naks’ from their golfing career ??

9895A146-AC23-4CB2-8C1A-72532F6AAB97.jpeg

• Like 3