sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8

Might aswell 'fess-up'.......

Bought a couple of my favourite; classic looking old-skool heads on ebay over Christmas, and had them shipped from the sellers in the US (I'm in England) straight to Continental golf for refinishing. When they reach me - i'll be shafting both up with my favourite Grafalloy ProLaunch Red and then having a 2016 'driver-fest' test ! I'm REALLY looking forward to the R580XD TP.. :-)

Both are currently in the system, and having some magic worked upon them by Continental.. I'll get pics up after they have both been refurbed / refinished.

TAYLORMADE R580-XD TP 8.5:

R580%201_zpslohvs7k7.jpg

R580%202_zpsyof35q9a.jpg

TAYLORMADE R7460 TP 8.5 Tour Issue:

R7%20460%201_zpssqprrunn.jpg

R7460%202_zps88tichtp.jpg

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Rainy Sunday afternoons + ebay has a whole lot to answer for.....

Came across some Cleveland RTX 2.0's in all lofts, designs, finishes etc brand new and cheap.

So opted for a 52 in Satin in the Cavity design, and a 58 in Black in the Blade design. Both with medium bounce (10 degrees).

Along while since i've not used Vokeys, and will be interesting to see how the two compare.

d48465ea-4e45-46d8-b284-254ce053e34b_zpszcenbgae.jpg

21906bb7-ded1-4cb7-a237-687b8eadc0d3_zpsxrr6yuru.jpg

New Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0's in the house :smilie_cleve: First time without Vokeys as my main wedges for quite a while. And i'm quite excited by it !

Ended up swapping my order slightly; and getting the Satin finish in both wedges........But still the same cavity model in the 52, and the bladed version in the 58.

Size is nice. Im not ashamed to say they look slightly bigger visually than the SM5 Vokeys.........and that i don't mind. [i believe the equivalent club in a cavity model; versus the bladed version is actually supposed to be slightly larger] Hence for fuller shots - why i got the cavity in the 52, and the bladed version in the 58.

Shape isnt a million miles from the Vokeys either. I've got the mid-bounce (2 dots on the sole) version in each and the sole width and stock grinds look great.

The came quite long length-wise (?) so i basically just cut a little of the 52 and left the 58 as it was. This means for the start of 2016 im going to try constant length wedges. Might just be another variable out of the way........

Numbers re-done in white....as always...and paintfill swapped around a little to suit my eye:

P1030368_zpsockqsbze.jpg

P1030366_zpslg0xsq2z.jpg

Just had a few pics sent to me from the awesome Justin @ Continental Golf; and now the guys have finished working their magic - A couple of my favourite old school heads are about to start the journey back to me in the UK:

R7460 TP 'TOUR' 8.5:

R7%20TP%201_zpsxlhf7foi.jpg

R7%20TP%202_zpsmqxsycnb.jpg

R7%20TP%203_zpsdn3nolzj.jpg

R7%20TP%204_zpsklwvm6yj.jpg

R580XD TP 'Tour' 8.5:

R580%20TP%201_zps4d0lxrg9.jpg

R580%20TP%202_zpszh9pvcfz.jpg

R580%20TP%203_zpsrq9ss43l.jpg

R580%20TP%204_zpsdfbsyap2.jpg

Those R7 and 580 are freaking awesome!

I always wanted to send my old clubs to Continental Golf, but afraid with the process of back and forth, including excessive tax/custom/duty here in the UK.

Thing is if they have been sent for "Repair only" (As Justin has labelled mine on the Customs form) there should be no VAT and import duty to pay as they goods have come from the UK and already had VAT paid on against them.

Mine were valued at $5 [Might be difficult or worrying if sending some high value / modern heads across] and have just cleared UK customs with Royal Mail.I THINK if they'd been released via ParcelForce that would have indicated VAT and the normal £13 "Release-fee" was due. Because they've been released to Royal Mail - it looks like the system worked !!

And you can now even get the lowest cost "1st Class International" postage option with USPS Tracked. So thats not silly cost either. ....my two heads well wrapped and sent on a Tracked service were just £23 :-)

Others get excited by M1's, R15's, 915 D2's etc....well this is what floats my boat. Nothing to do with $$$$$......i like my old skool stuff - plus its nice being 'individual' and not one of the sheep....

GREAT job by Continental golf..............

P1030370_zpsidgx0vlq.jpg

[P1030373_zpsp49czeyu.jpg

[P1030376_zpsga6l45gt.jpg

P1030372_zpszdq5p3pf.jpg

[P1030375_zpsdllyrycv.jpg

IMG_4034_zpskriql0gq.jpg

Others get excited by M1's, R15's, 915 D2's etc....well this is what floats my boat. Nothing to do with $$$$$......i like my old skool stuff - plus its nice being 'individual' and not one of the sheep....

P1030370_zpsidgx0vlq.jpg

P1030372_zpszdq5p3pf.jpg

IMG_4034_zpskriql0gq.jpg

What is your Paypal address, mate? Me really want this!

Great job! It's simply awesome!

P1030370_zpsidgx0vlq.jpg

P1030372_zpszdq5p3pf.jpg

IMG_4034_zpskriql0gq.jpg

What is your Paypal address, mate? Me really want this!

Great job! It's simply awesome!

THANKS.

Pretty darned good those guys aren't they ! You must be tempted now.......... :D

I had them do it in original colours, but being the tinkerer i am i decided to add a little 'baby Blue (My fave colour) and also do the TM logo on top in white as i always used to do when it arrived with me.

I'm really pleased with the outcome. Just need some sunshine now.............

Its winter, i'm not playing, im happy with the bag - and i've got nothing better to do than faff-around with accessories ! So.......i've just had an email to say my custom knitted covers are ready to be posted tomorrow:

1_zpsvwzvjtwl.jpg

Should go a treat with the bag colours etc

P1030332_zpsrpbegjxj.jpg

Impressive work on those drivers! I still play a fairly "old school" G10 like you used to and enjoy it for all the reasons you mentioned in your previous pages. May I ask what golf ball you might use with those TM drivers?

Regards.

D - Ping G400 10.5* - Diamana Blueboard
3 - Callaway X2 Hot 15* - Diamana Blueboard
5 - Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 19* - Diamana Blueboard
3i - Ping G410 Crossover 20* Evenflow
4-PW - Mizuno MP60 - DG S300
53* & 60* - Mizuno MP-T - DG S300
P - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossi

New Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0's in the house :smilie_cleve: First time without Vokeys as my main wedges for quite a while. And i'm quite excited by it !

Ended up swapping my order slightly; and getting the Satin finish in both wedges........But still the same cavity model in the 52, and the bladed version in the 58.

Size is nice. Im not ashamed to say they look slightly bigger visually than the SM5 Vokeys.........and that i don't mind. [i believe the equivalent club in a cavity model; versus the bladed version is actually supposed to be slightly larger] Hence for fuller shots - why i got the cavity in the 52, and the bladed version in the 58.

Shape isnt a million miles from the Vokeys either. I've got the mid-bounce (2 dots on the sole) version in each and the sole width and stock grinds look great.

The came quite long length-wise (?) so i basically just cut a little of the 52 and left the 58 as it was. This means for the start of 2016 im going to try constant length wedges. Might just be another variable out of the way........

Numbers re-done in white....as always...and paintfill swapped around a little to suit my eye:

P1030368_zpsockqsbze.jpg

P1030366_zpslg0xsq2z.jpg

Where have the rustiest wedges i've ever seen in my life gone?

Impressive work on those drivers! I still play a fairly "old school" G10 like you used to and enjoy it for all the reasons you mentioned in your previous pages. May I ask what golf ball you might use with those TM drivers?

Regards.

Hi buddy - G10 is an amazing driver. Rest assured you arent giving up too much with that in your bag. Reverting back isnt out of the question yet !

I was using Callaway Chrome soft when i first returned back to golf last year. But my TM golf-ball fetish didn't take long to surface (Worlds biggest fan of TP Red LDP, then Penta etc) so i started using the Tour Preferred at the back-end of the year. I just bought some of the new 2016 version, but havn't had a chance to use them yet. No hardship as its still pretty cold and miserable here as yet in the UK...........

Where have the rustiest wedges i've ever seen in my life gone?

I know.......After using unplated for my last 4 or 5 sets of wedges; looking down at a chromed wedge is a shock to me too !

• 2 weeks later...

After having some wood / hybrid cover custom knitted.....the putter cover i was using looked a bit....well........"tame in the bag.

So after a little research and asking here i came across: http://www.scottreadmanconcepts.co.uk/

This time around i really wanted a fairly plain; black, real-leather cover and it appeared that as well as the fantastic patterned / embroidered covers they had for sale on the website.......anything "custom" could be made to order too.. The other huge advantage to all of Scott's cover is that they feature a full integral gold plated neodymium magnetic closure'. So no risk to your precious flatstick's finish from a velcro closure, and no risk of it becoming accidentally undone with these magnets very strong 'pull'.........

So on a Sunday morning i emailed Scott and Emma. I got a reply back the same day,a fair price was given for a Black Napa leather cover with their logo on one side fo the neck in Royal Blue and my nickname on the other side in White. Amazingly i think it got posted on either the Monday or the Tuesday ! Either way - it arrived with me well wrapped VERY quickly.

The other thing that's so obvious when you first see one of their covers is how small it is. At first i didn't think it was big enough !!! Only once it fits PERFECTLY onto a standard putter - do you realise how bulky other covers really are

Fantastic quality, fabulous service and custom embroidered at a very fair price. I dont think it will be my last............... :good:

P1030579_zps0wztvfz8.jpg

P1030580_zpsdcfheuzf.jpg

P1030581_zpsfolunser.jpg

P1030582_zpsyrl0xbns.jpg

Enjoyed reading your posts this morning. Good thing on a bleary cold day here. Hey contrary to popular belief we do get those here frankly quite a bit lately. I think I can see your next project now with you being an engineer and IMHO a pretty decent machinist with access to some good equipment there. I see you designing and milling your own putter! if you do please post the process.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

New covers.........P1030585_zpsa05zb6xk.jpg

Enjoyed reading your posts this morning. Good thing on a bleary cold day here. Hey contrary to popular belief we do get those here frankly quite a bit lately. I think I can see your next project now with you being an engineer and IMHO a pretty decent machinist with access to some good equipment there. I see you designing and milling your own putter! if you do please post the process.

Wow ! Making a ferrule, straight onto designing and making my own putter !!! Too time consuming, too many "attempts" needed and too many mistakes to be made Stu. Appreciate your thoughts and support though !

I'm too anal, and in this case its easier to do a few hours overtime at work and pay guys who do this stuff for a living to do what they do best i reckon ! I only have admiration for those who do give it a go themselves, and by the sound of it enjoy those threads as much as you.

I have enquired about having another putter made though (I've had a couple of Byrons and a TP Mills made previously) so it might be sometime in the near future..........

Regarding your weather: Try living in the UK in Winter. Bet you wouldn't complain then ! Take it easy buddy..........

^^^

Here we go again.....

• 4 weeks later...

Shuv,

Some great looking gear there, have to agree with big stu and say you are a stick on no1 candidate for putter making.

Great to see you back playing this year, have you checked out the Mid amateur tour? For the guy of yours and my age :( mostly scratch events, i played in one at Hankley Common last year, what a great golf course that is as well. They have the British at Hollinwell this year in a few months.

How you finding those irons? Personally never been a fan of the project x shafts, but a mate of mine plays the pxi 7 shaft and have had a go with them some time ago and i ended up putting a couple in my 2 and 4 iron.

Must sort that game out sometime.....

Cheers

Dave.

• 2 years later...

My trouble is i can't find a middle ground. I'm either 100% committed, into it, full-bore addicted, doing-it 24/7........or i'm asleep. "Burnout" is my most favourite hated word. This time i'm gonna try to play and practice a little less AND keep some other hobbies going so i'm not such a one-trick pony.

And so; after another sabbatical of 2 and a half years - the last couple of months i've had an urge to play again. Coupled with my 18 year old son then asking me "...aren't you too old to play golf ?" (And the urge to show him who's boss !!!) - i have this week started building a bag up again. And as ever; if you're looking for an up to date modern bag of ultra fashionable delights - look away. I hate PVD woods / black faces. I dislike adjustable drivers (Using ribbed grips doesn't help) etc etc etc and i’m absolutely anal about the condition of my stuff.

So it might take my a week or three to find just what suits my eye and is in applicably great condition or get re-finished accordingly.

Started off with buying a set of 'clunkers'; as my still-golfing buddies would call them. Callaway X-22 Tour Irons. At various points i've used and enjoyed X-16 Pro Series and X-20 Tour irons. So why not. Plus they were cheap, in good nick and came with my favourite Project X 6.5 shafts. Also picked up a bargain Sun Mountain bag, some shoes, some TM TP5X balls, a set of Pom Pom headcovers, an immaculate 909 D2 driver, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red shafts in X flex for driver, 3 wood and Hybrid; and a few other bits in the last few days.

Spent quite a few hours cleaning up the irons this weekend - giving them my normal satin finish; with white paint infill in the numbering - and generally 'beautifying' the set as best I can.

Looking forward to finding an eye-pleasing flow-neck putter at a sensible price; so i can at least get out on the local Par 3 course with my aspiring kids.....

I'll add pics to go with my ramblings as i go. Cheers for stopping in.

44574227201_2fa50c0641_b.jpg

42764481610_603b06f539_b.jpg

43664380255_04d935df86_b.jpg

Only one person touches my clubs if i can at all help it. And that's me.

I have bench grinders in the garage, a swing-weight machine, belt-sander and a whole host of club-making gear, ferrules etc. And i really love and enjoy my club-making / building. I also like to think i'm pretty good at it. Mainly due to my completely anal Virgo tendencies i'm sure.....

So the reality of building up a bag again comes down to a couple of re-shafts on a Friday night. Jammed in the corner of the kitchen - keeping out of the way of the wife. Man do i love to live it up in my spare time :D

Driver and Hybrid tonight (3 wood isn't with me yet). Old shafts removed with a heat-gun, hosels cleaned up with reamers, shafts prepped inc tipping driver 1/2", ferrules fitted and then shaft etc dry fitted and then all parts cleaned with white spirit. Then shafts glued, shaft graphics aligned and excess glue cleaned up. Finishing off Sunday now i guess to give them plenty of time to set / glue to cure fully:

43772938025_f3095992a3_b.jpg

44632598422_d99374f11e_b.jpg

42872191740_73844b393b_b.jpg

Also bought a couple of MackDaddy 3 Black wedges today; and matched Tour Velvet Ribbed grips for the whole bag. So all i'm really missing is a putter.

And my god i'm struggling on that one.......... :(

Cheers for looking and have a great weekend.

Enjoyed reading this back in the day and still do now...good thing for you is that finding gear you like is only going’s to get cheaper! Just make sure you stay away from the JDM forum where silver faces and bonded hostels are still a thing!

What happened to the sweet TM gear you had refinished in the earlier posts?

Enjoyed reading this back in the day and still do now...good thing for you is that finding gear you like is only going’s to get cheaper! Just make sure you stay away from the JDM forum where silver faces and bonded hostels are still a thing!

What happened to the sweet TM gear you had refinished in the earlier posts?

Cheers my friend.

The JDM section on here ? THAT'S worth knowing ! Will open up my scope a bit more if nothing else.

Yea i guess stuff is cheaper of course. I reckon i will get the whole bag together for about £850-£900 ($1150). Although cost isn't really the issue as such. It's what i like looking at and prefer to use. Infact its really hard finding stuff with those traits in the immaculate condition that the anal me desires; being older models ! Buying some things a little newer would be a whole lot easier in many respects and increase my choices........

Driver took a couple of goes buying - to find one blemish free, but i was lucky enough to come across a mint neutral sitting hybrid. I'm hoping the 3 wood will be the same condition after waiting for the right one. The other 'problem' is my local (And excellent) re-finishing guy i used has moved on. So anything not up to my standard will be much harder to get re-finished now and involve being posted away etc

Yes. What would i give for that R580 XD TP head back now. One i shouldn't have sold :russian_roulette:

Man i'm just so stoked this Morning. Woke up to find my favourite putter of all time had been listed on ebay last night. I've been scouring on the net for 6 weeks or so i guess, as this was the first club i started looking for. I immediately made a very fair offer in order to secure it.......and by 7.30am the deal was all done and paid for !

Looks in great condition. So a simple vapor / soda blast to get it looking uniform and re paint-infill should do the trick. Then simply pop on my favourite grip and game the hell out of it !

Rife Iconic 3: 350g headweight, 304 Stainless Steel (So very easily bendable for some like me who wants a very flat lie), 2 degrees of loft :wub:

30818841388_95fc518e2d_b.jpg

43780130285_26aaa42ed2_b.jpg

30818841488_7cfcbfa1cf_b.jpg

• sevenfourate changed the title to sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8