Skycaddie SGX Ad in Golf Digest

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am wondering if some of the delay in getting the upgrades we got last year was because programming resources were put on the SGX and instead of the upgrades to the current units.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Our SkyGolf rep just sent us a copy of the ad for the [url="http://www.intheholegolf.com/blog/index.php/2010/01/08/new-products/skygolf-sgx-gps-available-this-spring.html"]SkyCaddie SGX[/url]. [url="http://www.intheholegolf.com/blog/index.php/2010/01/08/new-products/skygolf-sgx-gps-available-this-spring.html"]Click here[/url] to check it out. He didn't have any details for us yet, expect he said the features list was extensive and it would be priced competitively. I saw a working prototype at the fall PGA show that was much different. The unit pictured in this ad looks a lot better. From what I understand, you'll be able to wirelessly download the courses. So, you might be able to show up at a course, and download the course map while you're warming up at the practice range. Should be interesting.

Michael
InTheHoleGolf.com

[quote name='cubiclegolfer' date='04 January 2010 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1262652482' post='2161374']
as far as i am concerned the only true test for these things is to take two of the exact same model and stand at a point on your course and see if the reading is the same. from the reviews i have read, this is not always the case. in a game of yards, feet, maybe even inches, ill stick with my bushnell 1600 until the gps technology is as accurate.
[/quote]
When using current GPS golf models, interference is created when 2 units are placed at the same spot. This is what causes the different reading. If each unit is placed at the same spot individually they will read the same.

[quote name='intheholegolf' date='08 January 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1262990875' post='2170203']
I tried to get more info out of him, but he said they are holding all details to reveal at the PGA Show at the end of the month.

I can't imagine that they will go above $399, we'll see..

Michael
InTheHoleGolf.com
[/quote]
I talked to a friend of mine who's the SkyCaddie rep for our area about the SGX and he mentioned an interesting feature it's supposed to have. Apparently, it'll come with some sort of strips that can be attached to your clubs. These are supposed to help determine the distances you hit them. I was trying to figure out how that would work but he couldn't provide me anymore details about it. He just said it was really slick. I'm hoping that it will have an "AnyPoint" feature like the uPro. Really love that ability to measure any distance you want but not too crazy about the readability of the uPro's screen. It was too hard to see in some lighting conditions.

Hope the SGX is a real breakthrough product. I have an SG2.5 and would be interested in the new one if it's a significant improvement and priced competitively. Guess we'll just have to see after the PGA Show. I also hope they change the yearly fee structure.

[quote name='caryk' date='09 January 2010 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1263061952' post='2171034']
[quote name='intheholegolf' date='08 January 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1262990875' post='2170203']
I tried to get more info out of him, but he said they are holding all details to reveal at the PGA Show at the end of the month.

I can't imagine that they will go above $399, we'll see..

Michael
InTheHoleGolf.com
[/quote]
I talked to a friend of mine who's the SkyCaddie rep for our area about the SGX and he mentioned an interesting feature it's supposed to have. Apparently, it'll come with some sort of strips that can be attached to your clubs. These are supposed to help determine the distances you hit them. I was trying to figure out how that would work but he couldn't provide me anymore details about it. He just said it was really slick. I'm hoping that it will have an "AnyPoint" feature like the uPro. Really love that ability to measure any distance you want but not too crazy about the readability of the uPro's screen. It was too hard to see in some lighting conditions.

Hope the SGX is a real breakthrough product. I have an SG2.5 and would be interested in the new one if it's a significant improvement and priced competitively. Guess we'll just have to see after the PGA Show. I also hope they change the yearly fee structure.
[/quote]

I too would like to see something different with the annual fee set up - but I am not expecting a change - at least to my knowledge it has not substantially increased in the last few years. I would like to see them move to a model similar to the enterprise software industry. Pay an annual maintenance fee that gives you access to courses AND any future software enhancements - but if you are not interested in the enhancements you can drop maintenance and just play it as is with your 20 or so loaded courses - with no additional yearly fees. For those of us that play the same set of courses 99.9% of the time that would be a bonus in my mind.

Then if they come up with some great software enhancement you want, you pay an increased fee for that if you are not on annual "maintenance" - but if you are on maintenance then it gets pushed to you for no additional fee. Same with if you want to then add a couple of courses for say a special trip - then you purchase those courses - they could even make it like the iPod when you rent a movie - in other words - if you purchase a course for a special trip, maybe you have access to it for say 30 days and then it becomes inactive on your unit - or you can elect to "license" the course in perpetuity for a higher fee. I guess similar to the uPro pricing model with the added twist of having a choice to license the course for a defined period of time or in perpetuity.

I think there are some creative things like this they could do with their fee structure that would open up their market a little more to overcome those that don't want a unit with an ongoing annual fee - but also maintain a revenue stream from other units they have sold.

[quote name='compressthis' date='09 January 2010 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1263061150' post='2170999']
[quote name='cubiclegolfer' date='04 January 2010 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1262652482' post='2161374']
as far as i am concerned the only true test for these things is to take two of the exact same model and stand at a point on your course and see if the reading is the same. from the reviews i have read, this is not always the case. in a game of yards, feet, maybe even inches, ill stick with my bushnell 1600 until the gps technology is as accurate.
[/quote]
When using current GPS golf models, interference is created when 2 units are placed at the same spot. This is what causes the different reading. If each unit is placed at the same spot individually they will read the same.
[/quote]

source? i think gps is great for unfamiliar courses, but i think there is a reason the best players in the game trust their yardage books to lasers and not gps.

[quote name='cubiclegolfer' date='10 January 2010 - 01:23 AM' timestamp='1263104597' post='2172205']
source? i think gps is great for unfamiliar courses, but i think there is a reason the best players in the game trust their yardage books to lasers and not gps.
[/quote]

But most of the yardage books that the PGA Tour use are created by Mark Long (Fred Funk's caddie) using SkyCaddie GPS measuring equipment. Caddies then laser distances to fine tune the yardage book and to get more distances in areas they expect their pro to be hitting from.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

this will definitely be my first GPS purchase!!! Thought about the 3.5 but now that I have seen the X, I will be getting it

M2 Tour 7.5* w/Ventus TR Blue 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Ventus TR Blue 7X
TSR 18* w/Ventus TR Blue 8X

TP 08 3-PW w/AMT X100

Mg4 50*, 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Spider X Tour V
Maxfli Tour S

[quote name='ksavy17' date='10 January 2010 - 02:13 PM' timestamp='1263158029' post='2173099']
this will definitely be my first GPS purchase!!! Thought about the 3.5 but now that I have seen the X, I will be getting it
[/quote]

We are in the same boat. I was about to go out and buy an iPhone so I could get a good phone and have a clean set up for my golf game. If this is as good as it look sthis will be my first GPS I have ever used. I am excited and glad I found this in Golf Digest.

I just hope its as durable as the 2.5 I have, that thing is undestructible.

The touch screen has me a little worried though. Yes it a great feature, but I hope it can handle the conditions like the 2.5. Sometimes I get weird readings where it will jump around +/- 5 yards sometimes so I lay it down about 12" from the ball while I go through my routine. Right before I pull the trigger I double check to make sure it hasnt changed. That 2.5 sits in wet grass all the time and never had a problem w/ it, I hope the SGX is just the same.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

[quote name='nbhs1' date='10 January 2010 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1263166646' post='2173342']
My Goodness. We have an ad or more precisely some pictures in a magazine with only speculation and we're all ready to buy the item and cast off our known equipment for the unknown. Who said hype and advertising doesn't work?

I'll bet Obama wishes he could sell the healthcare care bill as easily.
[/quote]

In my case I have nothing and have been waiting for the replacement to the SG5. We do not know the details but we know that each generation gets better and with a larger screen and more color this should be a slam dunk.

[quote name='24monthgolfer' date='10 January 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1263168602' post='2173412']
[quote name='nbhs1' date='10 January 2010 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1263166646' post='2173342']
My Goodness. We have an ad or more precisely some pictures in a magazine with only speculation and we're all ready to buy the item and cast off our known equipment for the unknown. Who said hype and advertising doesn't work?

[/quote]

In my case I have nothing and have been waiting for the replacement to the SG5. We do not know the details but we know that each generation gets better and with a larger screen and more color this should be a slam dunk.
[/quote]
+1. Dont rain on our excitement :tongue:

TP 08 3-PW w/AMT X100

Spider X Tour V
Maxfli Tour S

the manager at my local golf store said the Skycaddie rep was just in there and he told him some info on the until. he says that Skycaddie is going to do "something" with their annual membership to compete with the other GPS units. He says it won't go completly away but will have something better than they do now. He also said this unit is not a touch screen diablo.gif CRAP! but did say the until will have features like they have for the Intelligreen to see the slopes of a green for the FW's. So you can see if a FW is sloped or has a swell or uphill on parts of it. I think that is pretty cool for courses you have never played. not certain how useful that would be for a course you play all the time. He thought they would be around $399-$450 but the rep said it would not be firm until the end of the month. I guess that is when the PGA show is?

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Proxima 6X

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Mini Driver 13.5*- Ventus TR Blue 7TX

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

I just saw the ad today...did a google search and this thread was the first thing that came up...nothing from skycaddie online yet. I must say, I am in as well...this thing looks awesome!

All Ping...tastefully done!
Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer Tour or Craz-e-Lite Stand Bag
Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes

+1. Dont rain on our excitement tongue.gif

Oops.. Forgot it was winter and many of us are caged.

I am psyched its not touch screen. I think if it starts to rain, there are bad elements outside the touch screen would be the first thing to the bed.

Now does the SG5 have the view of the fairways/hole overview, and slopes of green, and online stats? If so I think I will pick one up when the SGX comes out.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

[quote name='rymail00' date='11 January 2010 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1263231135' post='2174682']
I am psyched its not touch screen. I think if it starts to rain, there are bad elements outside the touch screen would be the first thing to the bed.

Now does the SG5 have the view of the fairways/hole overview, and slopes of green, and online stats? If so I think I will pick one up when the SGX comes out.
[/quote]
im pretty sure the SG5 has those features

TP 08 3-PW w/AMT X100

Spider X Tour V
Maxfli Tour S

$399-$450??? Wow. That has taken a little off my excite-o-meter. It should find my lost golf balls for that. But, I've held on to an SG3 for quite some time and have been patiently waiting for the right unit to come along before my SG3 accidently falls out of my cart and is run over 6 times. But nearly 5 hundy???

How much did you get your SG5 for? Was it new?

Does the SG5 have the abitlity to do the stats from every round too?

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s