2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tour Striker

filthee

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1302927812' post='3158513']
[quote name='n88daman' timestamp='1302911722' post='3157718']
Wed. was session #2 with the TSP 7i. Found out what "cheating" all you guys were talking abouit. My 1st session was on a very nice grass range, with perfect lies... and I was "king of the hill" . Session #2 was on hard pan, little if any grass... and I was spraying it all over the place...lol

I worked it out, after 15-20 minutes, started working in my 7 and 8 irons, looking good. This was the 1st session I used the 56 degree wedge TS. Nice tool, I was hitting it pretty good, it's a lot easier to hit than the TSP7i.
Very windy, and with the hard panned, and my new found difficulty, I left somewhat discouraged.

Today was session #3 with the TSP7i and 56 degree wedge. Back to the GOOD OLE Fluffy Lies!... lol, and of course I was nailing 8-9 in a row... worked in some more irons, and decided to go over to a bare section, and hit some balls... skud missles at 1st, then started to groove a nice swing, and started hitting it off the hard pan stuff, and bare areas... worked it in for about 90 minutes, then picked up my driver... BOOOOM! I think what this training club does best with me is help with LAG.... the grape analogy, and using the club, translates to me lagging with my driver, and hitting some bombs with the driver... I was looking at the Orange Whip before I got this club, and seeing some good feedback on here, I'll be sure to get it... and work it in with this... Chuck, I do have one question... I have a momentus swing trainer that I've used for years, would still using it, mess up what I'm doing now with the TSP? Thanks again for all the feedback, hopefully my experience will help others with decide what do to... I highly recommend it...
[/quote]

n88, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you have enjoyed your practice sessions with the TSP. You can clearly see how you can change the challenge by the turf condition. The club will change your sequence for the better if you keep up your routine.

The Momentus is a good heavy thing to swing and work on flexibility and awareness. The Orange Whip is much better, IMO, as it provides a "lag" feel.

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1302915067' post='3157830']
Hello Martin (I see you've noticed I didn't say Mr. Chuck :rolleyes: ) I was messing around with Youtube when I saw your sand drill with the Tour Striker video. I had my Aha! moment when I saw it. My range has a fairway bunker to hit from and I think the sand drill will make my practice with the Tour Striker much more productive. Plus I can just draw a quadrant line behind the ball instead of using Tour Sticks and winding up with one broken now. You think I should go straight to the fairway bunker when I go to the range? I can also stick my Tour Stick 3 inches from my right hip (left handed) very easily in the bunker. What do you think of this, Martin?
[/quote]

Frankie, the bunker is hands down the best place to hit balls. One, there is no cheating in a bunker, you either pure it, pick it (don't want), pro thin (divot too far forward) or chunk it. Besides, your core has to work really hard to stabilize in a bunker, so it is a great form of "golf" exercise. If you can, do the quadrant drill in a bunker and you'll improve 10X more than on a range.

Bunker is where it's at.

Besides, it is nice to be pure and have ball, sand contact and simply hit a normal compressed shot from a bunker. All this crap about choke up, pick it, is rubbish. Unless the lip requires a manipulation of some kind to elevate the ball, I don't do anything different to hit a fairway bunker shot. I simply hit it and take a big sand divot after the ball.
[/quote]

It's funny, I ended up in a fairway bunker after a slightly pulled drive last week, it was from 140, and I wanted to do the Tour Striker swing out of it instead of all the "really dig your feet in and choke down, and don't dip your head down" Swung the club the Tour Striker way and knocked it stiff to 2 feet. I forgot the that practicing in the bunker also improves your stability in balance much better. Thanks Martin!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1302906281' post='3157462']Nick, I had hoped to have it on the market by now, but I changed a piece. It helps people have awareness of their wrists during the swing. It will be called The Educator. I use it a lot. It fits onto the butt of the club and has an adjustable arm. I took some video today. I'll post some vid over the weekend.
[/quote]

Sounds good, seems a bit similar to the swing gyde or the swingpact from the description but we'll see. May be interested in picking up a prototype

Apparently I just remembered that the lip on the fairway bunker is too high for a 7 iron, I don't know why they did that but I need to tell them to cut it down. If I can convince them, it might take about 2 weeks to 2 months, depending on how fast they cut it down. There have been several complaints about that high lip, yet it wasn't directly to the golf course staff. I must tell them. Do you think I should do this, Martin?

Hi Martin,
I have been recently giving the TSP another run, in a quest to lower my trajectory to cope with windy conditions. I have found that when I focus on forward shaft lean at impact that I hit a shot that comes off really flat and fast. It carries around 15 yards further than my usual 7i, but is really low. It feels like I have flushed the ball, but I am worried that I may be hitting the ball on the rounded part of the face below the grooved face.
Is it possible to hit a shot that looks like my regular punched 7i with the rounded part of the club? I have tried to repeat the shot with my regular 7i, but I can't get it quite as low.

Thanks

Steve

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1302931266' post='3158591']
Apparently I just remembered that the lip on the fairway bunker is too high for a 7 iron, I don't know why they did that but I need to tell them to cut it down. If I can convince them, it might take about 2 weeks to 2 months, depending on how fast they cut it down. There have been several complaints about that high lip, yet it wasn't directly to the golf course staff. I must tell them. Do you think I should do this, Martin?
[/quote]

Frankie, it depends: was the bunker intended for fairway practice? Or, was the bunker meant for greenside shots? It's okay to do the drill with a wedge or 9 iron. While you won't be using your TS, you can get all the benefits of practicing regular ball striking out of sand. Ideally you could hit 7 - 5 iron.

If you are going to issue a request to management, do it correctly. Type a note, be respectful and explain why a lower lip would be in the best interest of their customers. I'm sure they know you, but put your contact info on it for convenience.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1302970415' post='3159380']
[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1302931266' post='3158591']
[/quote]

Frankie, it depends: was the bunker intended for fairway practice? Or, was the bunker meant for greenside shots? It's okay to do the drill with a wedge or 9 iron. While you won't be using your TS, you can get all the benefits of practicing regular ball striking out of sand. Ideally you could hit 7 - 5 iron.

If you are going to issue a request to management, do it correctly. Type a note, be respectful and explain why a lower lip would be in the best interest of their customers. I'm sure they know you, but put your contact info on it for convenience.
[/quote]

Of course they know me, my mom works there so the family can play golf there for free! I think it was designed for mixed greenside and fairway bunker sorta. But there's no green and some people put their range bucket in front of the bunker to practice greenside bunker shots.I think I could get out of the bunker high enough with a 6-iron, because my ball flight is about 20 yards high now, just 2/3 of the way there to PGA Tour standards. I'll try to practice today in the bunker with the Tour Striker and then tell you if the bunker lip's a problem or not.

[quote name='bogey1' timestamp='1302996269' post='3160313']
I bought a TS, worthless in my opinion. I'm returning it. I goes low off the matt and really can't get the face of club on the ball with that bulge on bottom. I'm returning it.
[/quote]

The Tour Striker is designed so that if you do NOT have a forward leaning shaft at impact ,you will hit shots very similar to the ones that your describe.Before returning it ,you should start practicing small and then longer chip shots .Many players flip their hands on even these very short swings.Take some videos of these short swings .If you have a forward leaning shaft at impact you can go onto small pitches ,then longer pitches, 1/2 swings and then full swings.Within each swing is a shorter swing,so if you are flipping on the smaller swings,you will be guaranteed that you will be flipping on the longer swings.Try going to Ben Doyle's website.Watch some of his free teaching videos,in which he is teaching students long chips and small pitches.Ben is a proponent as is Martin(the inventor of the Tour Striker) of the necessity to have a proper pivot resulting in a forward leaning shaft.
If you do keep the Tour Striker ,you will start to realize why it is one of the very few training aids worth spending any money on.

I bought a TS, worthless in my opinion. I'm returning it. I goes low off the matt and really can't get the face of club on the ball with that bulge on bottom. I'm returning it.
[/quote]

Thanks for trying it. If you bought it from the Tour Striker website, give me a call and I'll process your return. If you got if from a retailer, please return it with them.

Martin Chuck, PGA
Inventor - Tour Striker
541 948 2480

[quote name='eppey' timestamp='1302999840' post='3160447']
[/quote]
Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting from the TS?
[/quote]

I think he thought it was a "game improvement" club, rather than a "swing improvement" club:)

Is there instructions somewhere for how to optimize practice in the sand with either the TS 7 or the TS Wedge? I had a rough day in the sand on Thursday - cost me a bunch of points in a skins game.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1303001370' post='3160530']
Is there instructions somewhere for how to optimize practice in the sand with either the TS 7 or the TS Wedge? I had a rough day in the sand on Thursday - cost me a bunch of points in a skins game.
[/quote]

This video from Martin explains the sand drill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDFG5uf76BE&feature=channel_video_title

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1303001293' post='3160526']
[quote name='eppey' timestamp='1302999840' post='3160447']
[/quote]
Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting from the TS?
[/quote]

I think he thought it was a "game improvement" club, rather than a "swing improvement" club:)
[/quote]
I think your right. I thought I might break the ice for him to discover that perhaps the aid was doing for him exactly what is was designed to do.

bahahahaha.

I bought a screw driver, worthless in my opinion. I'm returning it. Even though I kept twisting counterclockwise the screw never gets tight in the hole. I am returning it..

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1303002292' post='3160572']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDFG5uf76BE&feature=channel_video_title"]http://www.youtube.c...nel_video_title[/url]
[/quote]

That wasn't with the Tour Striker - right? Just a sand drill. Is there anything specific to the TS?

That said - thanks for posting that - I'll try it next time I get a chance.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1303016415' post='3161104']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDFG5uf76BE&feature=channel_video_title"]http://www.youtube.c...nel_video_title[/url]
[/quote]

That wasn't with the Tour Striker - right? Just a sand drill. Is there anything specific to the TS?

[/quote]

What was rough; your green side or fairway bunker shots?

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1303016670' post='3161107']
[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1303016415' post='3161104']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What was rough; your green side or fairway bunker shots?
[/quote]

Greenside...In one bunker I took 6 shots to get out. I picked up after 3 in another. On the other hand, I got out in 1 on the other two bunkers I was in...but I wasted a ton of shots in those two bunkers. I'm OK in fairway bunkers - just choke down a bit and make sure I hit nothing but ball first. That's easier for me. Greenside bunkers - I am hit or miss.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

TS Pro 7 update - finally was able to get to the range and the course to practice and play . . . . to my pleasant suprise, I has nailing the TS pro 7 about 165 with solid face contact and a nice traj. (hit my normal 7 150-155) . . . . .guess all my winter, basement practice with the TS wedge has paid some divedends.

Two things I've discovered in this whole TS process is:
1. I need to monitor my backswing/turn away from the ball. . . .sometimes I get into a little sway away from the ball rather than turning . . .. been watching some Sean Foley instruction to stabilize this motion (he's not exactly stack/tilt, but more like a center shift backswing).
2. a combination of a relaxed grip and a full turning of my chest through the shot really helps lag the club through impact.

Martin,
the one thing I am noticing with my short game is that my chips and pitches are all solid now (TS wedge helped here), but these shots are all mainly low shots with lots of bite. I'm thrilled the contact is so solid, but how do I get alittle more lift of these shots around the green . . . . even a lob wedge comes off low . . . . even if I play it forward in my stance. . . .

on the course, I'm creating a heck of a lot of spin - most iron shots spin back (spun short irons off the greens), tearin-up prov1xs.... the new Titleist AP2s and wedges might have something to do with this . . . . shot 73 second time out this year . . . .

First, to MC, thanks for the suggestion in picking a shaft and the very prompt delivery. Had it a couple of weeks now and not been able to use it. Was a little nervous when I ordered "pro" based on the shaft recommendation and then realized what was coming had a very small face area. After practicing, glad I did it.

DIdn't hit much today. Balmy 41 degrees, so decided to hit a few on the range before going out to play (it's a lot warmer walking than standing on the range in the wind).

Started out with some big pulls that seemed to come from the "heel" (?). Gradually got warmed up and hit a few solid and square. I fight casting my club, and no video today, so my question is, if I'm hitting them solid, divot starting below the ball, I'm assuming I'm getting to a good impact position, but is that still possible with an early release? (Just can't stand success, I guess, if success it was).

Went out to play a few holes, and I will say I had a 5 wood for my second into a par 5 (249 lasered, but plays 15 yards shorter because of the downhill) and hit the most solid, highest 5 wood I've ever hit. You get the credit for now. Was going to hit the TSP on the next hole (par 3) but my daughter talked me out of it, again, good, solid contact with 6 iron.

I'll need a longer range session, and some time with my irons mixed in with tour striker practice, but I like the feel of hitting TSP solid and am anxious to get a camera on it to see what is going on.

Martin, I played 9 holes at my home course for free from my mom working, but I never really go to the range before golfing because I'm always rushed in the next tee time (remember, I don't book tee times since it's free) and I played awful, I didn't keep score because of bad playing. So I remembered my promise to practice Tour Striker sand drill after the 9 holes, and went to the range to the bunker and you know what? My ballflight was plenty high enough to clear the lip. So I drew quadrant lines every time I ran out of balls to hit then pick balls from the range bucket again. Only hit one out of 30 pure, rest was behind the line. Apparently my takeaway was too low, so I made it higher and hit that one ball pure. Very difficult to practice the sand drill with the Tour Striker, especially with quadrant lines to get past and staying in balance, especially with regular shoes on (I didn't wear my golf shoes today). So when I had 15 balls left out of 45, I went to the range mats (very hard) and I remembered my high takeaway (it wasn't high like steep, it was normal) and just flushing them all with the Tour Striker with very stable balance (balance was improved from sand drill). What I like in the sand drill with the Tour Striker the most is that the club has so much leading edge elevation, it doesn't scoot through the sand. In fact, it actually bounces off even soft sand and you can't hit it fat. So I played another 9 holes, and kept pounding my scorecard through to a 37! 2 birdies on both par 3's (one 160 lasered downhill with slope compensation of 145, and one lasered at 201 uphill). I am going to practice the sand drill 75% of the time when I practice at the range and the last 25% to see the results. What do you think of this practice time, Martin?

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1303016835' post='3161111']

Greenside...In one bunker I took 6 shots to get out. I picked up after 3 in another. On the other hand, I got out in 1 on the other two bunkers I was in...but I wasted a ton of shots in those two bunkers. I'm OK in fairway bunkers - just choke down a bit and make sure I hit nothing but ball first. That's easier for me. Greenside bunkers - I am hit or miss.
[/quote]

One of my favorite things to get people more confident out of greenside bunkers:

1. Get a lie board or piece of plywood.
2. Bury it in the sand with a one inch layer on it
3. Take some swings and feel the "bounce" the board provides
4. Hit balls off the sand covered board

The key to bunker play is to understand the sand, the bounce and to anticipate what you are about to feel during the shot. The sand covered board drill will give you the feel of "bounce." Good bunker players can hear and feel the shot prior to hitting it.

The worst bunkers in the world are the "bottomless" ones where you can't feel any bottom and can't estimate if there is bounce. Reading bunkers: you figure that out with your eyes; visual clues about whether the bunker is "hard" or "soft." Your feet also tell a story and will help you estimate the bottom.

I hate new sand bunkers that aren't compacted. I can get out fine, and generally hit a decent shot, but Tour bunkers are prepared, compacted and made to be pretty even week to week. I've held a Tour event at my course for a few years and know the process we had to go through to prepare the bunkers. When you know where the bottom is, you can get pretty cute and bunkers are not too challenging when you know the clues.

[quote name='bath4golf' timestamp='1303083798' post='3162723']
TS Pro 7 update - finally was able to get to the range and the course to practice and play . . . . to my pleasant suprise, I has nailing the TS pro 7 about 165 with solid face contact and a nice traj. (hit my normal 7 150-155) . . . . .guess all my winter, basement practice with the TS wedge has paid some divedends.

Two things I've discovered in this whole TS process is:
1. I need to monitor my backswing/turn away from the ball. . . .sometimes I get into a little sway away from the ball rather than turning . . .. been watching some Sean Foley instruction to stabilize this motion (he's not exactly stack/tilt, but more like a center shift backswing).
2. a combination of a relaxed grip and a full turning of my chest through the shot really helps lag the club through impact.

Martin,
the one thing I am noticing with my short game is that my chips and pitches are all solid now (TS wedge helped here), but these shots are all mainly low shots with lots of bite. I'm thrilled the contact is so solid, but how do I get alittle more lift of these shots around the green . . . . even a lob wedge comes off low . . . . even if I play it forward in my stance. . . .

on the course, I'm creating a heck of a lot of spin - most iron shots spin back (spun short irons off the greens), tearin-up prov1xs.... the new Titleist AP2s and wedges might have something to do with this . . . . shot 73 second time out this year . . . .
[/quote]

Hi Ed,

Nice playing!!

One the wedge shots; I play wedges three ways.

1. Lee Trevino "front edge" spinner (Tour Striker style)
2. Tom Watson "mid-sole" pitch
3. Philly "trailing edge" Flop

The TS trains in the Lee Trevino; you learn to strike down with forward lean. For most that is a far cry from what they have ever done and is a wonderful shot. However, a little "educated" throwaway is necessary around the greens, but I want you to learn it from the Trevino, Watson and Phil in that order. Most learn it from starting with the Phil on ALL shots;)

My second DVD is about these three shots (among others) that are played around the green.

Get a Sharpie marker and draw a thick line, heel to toe, on the sole of your 56. Wear that line out and use a little of the club's bounce and you'll hit the typical Tour style pitch.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1303142007' post='3164355']
[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1303016835' post='3161111']
[/quote]

One of my favorite things to get people more confident out of greenside bunkers:

1. Get a lie board or piece of plywood.
2. Bury it in the sand with a one inch layer on it
3. Take some swings and feel the "bounce" the board provides
4. Hit balls off the sand covered board

The key to bunker play is to understand the sand, the bounce and to anticipate what you are about to feel during the shot. The sand covered board drill will give you the feel of "bounce." Good bunker players can hear and feel the shot prior to hitting it.

The worst bunkers in the world are the "bottomless" ones where you can't feel any bottom and can't estimate if there is bounce. Reading bunkers: you figure that out with your eyes; visual clues about whether the bunker is "hard" or "soft." Your feet also tell a story and will help you estimate the bottom.

I hate new sand bunkers that aren't compacted. I can get out fine, and generally hit a decent shot, but Tour bunkers are prepared, compacted and made to be pretty even week to week. I've held a Tour event at my course for a few years and know the process we had to go through to prepare the bunkers. When you know where the bottom is, you can get pretty cute and bunkers are not too challenging when you know the clues.

[/quote]

Thanks!

I know what I am going to do next time I have an hour for a practice session...hopefully if it stops raining in Chicago for a bit, I'll get out there this week.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1303085154' post='3162776']
First, to MC, thanks for the suggestion in picking a shaft and the very prompt delivery. Had it a couple of weeks now and not been able to use it. Was a little nervous when I ordered "pro" based on the shaft recommendation and then realized what was coming had a very small face area. After practicing, glad I did it.

DIdn't hit much today. Balmy 41 degrees, so decided to hit a few on the range before going out to play (it's a lot warmer walking than standing on the range in the wind).

Started out with some big pulls that seemed to come from the "heel" (?). Gradually got warmed up and hit a few solid and square. I fight casting my club, and no video today, so my question is, if I'm hitting them solid, divot starting below the ball, I'm assuming I'm getting to a good impact position, but is that still possible with an early release? (Just can't stand success, I guess, if success it was).

Went out to play a few holes, and I will say I had a 5 wood for my second into a par 5 (249 lasered, but plays 15 yards shorter because of the downhill) and hit the most solid, highest 5 wood I've ever hit. You get the credit for now. Was going to hit the TSP on the next hole (par 3) but my daughter talked me out of it, again, good, solid contact with 6 iron.

I'll need a longer range session, and some time with my irons mixed in with tour striker practice, but I like the feel of hitting TSP solid and am anxious to get a camera on it to see what is going on.
[/quote]

Hawk, I'm glad the TS got some credit for the good ones;)

The club can be delivered to impact with great alignments and have a bunch of energy or very little. I have a video of a big guy who has great, albeit powerless, impact conditions. He tosses it from the top yet arrives with a forward leaning shaft and some downward strike. He hits it solid, but for his size, the ball travels a short distance. It is one of most bizarre things I have seen in golf.

The alignments are there, but the lag is not. His club is not squeezing the juice out of the grape. He has no "buggy whip" in his swing.

If you can hit a 5 wood 249 on a slight downhill, you have some good things going on with lag and alignments. Could you "clean things up" and be more efficient? We all can.

Keep me posted and thanks for the note.

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1303101639' post='3163554']
Martin, I played 9 holes at my home course for free from my mom working, but I never really go to the range before golfing because I'm always rushed in the next tee time (remember, I don't book tee times since it's free) and I played awful, I didn't keep score because of bad playing. So I remembered my promise to practice Tour Striker sand drill after the 9 holes, and went to the range to the bunker and you know what? My ballflight was plenty high enough to clear the lip. So I drew quadrant lines every time I ran out of balls to hit then pick balls from the range bucket again. Only hit one out of 30 pure, rest was behind the line. Apparently my takeaway was too low, so I made it higher and hit that one ball pure. Very difficult to practice the sand drill with the Tour Striker, especially with quadrant lines to get past and staying in balance, especially with regular shoes on (I didn't wear my golf shoes today). So when I had 15 balls left out of 45, I went to the range mats (very hard) and I remembered my high takeaway (it wasn't high like steep, it was normal) and just flushing them all with the Tour Striker with very stable balance (balance was improved from sand drill). What I like in the sand drill with the Tour Striker the most is that the club has so much leading edge elevation, it doesn't scoot through the sand. In fact, it actually bounces off even soft sand and you can't hit it fat. So I played another 9 holes, and kept pounding my scorecard through to a 37! 2 birdies on both par 3's (one 160 lasered downhill with slope compensation of 145, and one lasered at 201 uphill). I am going to practice the sand drill 75% of the time when I practice at the range and the last 25% to see the results. What do you think of this practice time, Martin?
[/quote]

Frankie,

Always keep score.

I don't care if you shoot 100. Don't simply record the pleasing scores. Golf is like life: you are not going to always have a pleasant experience and how you manage the tough days is more important that how you manage your "easy" days. Whatever you shoot is the best you can do in that given moment. No excuses.

Keep "playing in the sand box" and you'll improve quicker.

Nice recovery by the way;)