2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tour Striker

filthee

Got the TSPro 7 today went to the range hit a medium bucket of balls only hit a few really awesome shots! The good shots were 170-175yds with the perfect trajectory that I've been looking for cause I'm a highball hitter 150yds with the 7 normally. I know it will take lots of practice with the TS but I feel really confident that I can do it. I just need to concentrate more on a smooth swing cause my usual quick tempo end ups with little to no pivot and flipping hands! Going to the range again tomorrow can't wait!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Netsonar' timestamp='1303426406' post='3174909']

... I did try to play a round tin cup style with only the 7x just for a change of pace on a bet and could not break 85 (which was the original bet). The reason I could not break 85 was not because of the inability to strike it on a full swing but this thing can really cause havoc when you try to putt with it! :-) Oddly it was actually not so bad out of the sand or when chipping
[/quote]

You know, I ought to try that. The putting is the tough part? I'll report back. Don't know when I'll get a chance to play 18 with the TSPX, but I will do it. Thanks for the update.

[quote name='695MB' timestamp='1303522337' post='3178041']
Martin,

I went to the range today again with the TS7 pro and I consitantly hit the ball high in the air just like my regular 7 iron around 150. Kinda confused I thought you weren't supposed to be able to flip the TS???
[/quote]

The lie is the critical thing. I hit my TS today too. I was on a lean, well kept range. No chance of flipping at it.

Make sure you are on a tight lie.

Thanks,

Martin

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1303534471' post='3178505']
[quote name='695MB' timestamp='1303522337' post='3178041']
Martin,

I went to the range today again with the TS7 pro and I consitantly hit the ball high in the air just like my regular 7 iron around 150. Kinda confused I thought you weren't supposed to be able to flip the TS???
[/quote]

The lie is the critical thing. I hit my TS today too. I was on a lean, well kept range. No chance of flipping at it.

Make sure you are on a tight lie.

Thanks,

Martin

[/quote]

Ok, that makes sense cause I had to hit off golf mats today and they were kinda old and lumpy. I had a tendency to put the ball on a high spot on the mat. lol Tomorrow its supposed to be warmer hopefully I can actually hit off the grass but lately its been to rainy and the ground kinda soft and soggy.

The TS 7 pro work is translating wonerfully into my irons . . . . to be hitting the quality of iron shots this early in the golf season is a testement to that . . . .

Martin, i am still struggling with my longer clubs . . . . getting the same impact positions with my driver and 3 wood . . . . obviously, this is due to a lack of practice with the longer clubs - i only was able to practice the TS wedge over the winter. . . . . Any suggestions for working with the woods - my impact with the woods is sketchy with the tendency toward a high fade.

Thanks!

First post on this site. Hi all!

Hi Martin. Fascinated by this product. I've read a lot of this thread and are amazed that you answer the majority of posts.
Fair play to you.

I would be about a 24 handicap. Would it be best for me to choose the tour striker 8 ?
Do you know if your product is available to buy in Ireland? If not, is it available to buy on a UK online site?
Haven't found any!

Happy Easter,

Zak.

Hello Martin, I've ditched the 45 degree arm angle at the top of the backswing and tried a new drill called the helicopter drill from my swing coach, Paul Wilson. What it is, you take your clubs on your shoulders behind your neck and you coil to 90 degrees with the club. From the DTL view, the club is supposed to be perpendicular to your spine tilt, which is consistent to me. What do you think of this drill, Martin?

[quote name='bath4golf' timestamp='1303571800' post='3179090']
The TS 7 pro work is translating wonerfully into my irons . . . . to be hitting the quality of iron shots this early in the golf season is a testement to that . . . .

Martin, i am still struggling with my longer clubs . . . . getting the same impact positions with my driver and 3 wood . . . . obviously, this is due to a lack of practice with the longer clubs - i only was able to practice the TS wedge over the winter. . . . . Any suggestions for working with the woods - my impact with the woods is sketchy with the tendency toward a high fade.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Hi Ed, Steep swings present the strike high on the face. That usually means that you are a little too outside in.

Swing a little more to right field and you'll naturally shallow things out which will lead to lower face strikes.

[quote name='zak flaps' timestamp='1303585599' post='3179548']
First post on this site. Hi all!

Hi Martin. Fascinated by this product. I've read a lot of this thread and are amazed that you answer the majority of posts.
Fair play to you.

I would be about a 24 handicap. Would it be best for me to choose the tour striker 8 ?
Do you know if your product is available to buy in Ireland? If not, is it available to buy on a UK online site?
Haven't found any!

Happy Easter,

Zak.
[/quote]

Visit [color=#676767][size=2]golfandsportssupplies.com. They distribute the product in Europe. Thanks for the interest. I would get the TS 56 or the 7 Pro. The 56 is better for shorter stuff and less frustrating, while the 7 Pro is where you need to be in good time with practice. You can always make the 7 Pro play easier by "fluffing" the lie a little bit.[/size][/color]
[color="#676767"][size=4]
[/size][/color]
[color="#676767"][size=4]Cheers
[/size][/color]

Is the SW for full shots only?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='upanddown' timestamp='1303755501' post='3184425']
I don't get why there is so much interest in the this product... Drill.. take your normal 5i.. put a tee in the ground in front of the ball and try to clip the tee, ignoring the ball. Should accomplish the same thing..
[/quote]

I've tried the tee drill but it doesn't work for me. I think the TS gives you better feedback.

I don't get why there is so much interest in the this product... Drill.. take your normal 5i.. put a tee in the ground in front of the ball and try to clip the tee, ignoring the ball. Should accomplish the same thing..
[/quote]

While that is a great drill it has one severe flaw, you can still get good shot results from doing it incorrectly...You need negative feedback in order to change an ingrained habit. If your mind and body still experience a good result even while making the wrong motion you will never progress.

What you are describing is a great drill and I used it while teaching my wife to play, however if you are trying to retrain somebody who has been doing it wrong for a long time you are going to need more than that if you want reasonably quick and efficient results.

When you start giving awful results to moderately bad actions and you only give good results to very good actions, you can start to build proper neural pathways that allow you to make a real transition from your old movement to a new movement.

I have been a low single digit for a while now and I own a total of 1 training aid besides my High speed video camera. The Tour striker is it and it is phenomenal.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

[/quote]

golf drills are certainly great for learning; however, one can "fudge" or cheat certain results with drills, and therefore, not receive the complete feedback necessary.

. . . . let's take this task of hitting the ball crisply - i consider myself a decent ball striker and have reduced my handicap down to a 4 where i hit about 10-12 greens a round; however, my crisp irons shots didn't necessarilu involve the best impact positions with lag and forward shaft lean.

now, take the crisp shot as a result of a good weight transfer, good pivot, proper lag, flat left wrist - not only is this a great iron shot, but it is longer and with more authority . . . .that's what the TS teaches and you can't cheat it . . . . . . no lag, no forward shaft lean - no crisp shot - you are bellying it into a worm burner . . . . you must learn to lag it, and lagging the clubhead into impact is a completely foreign concept (feeling) for a LARGE majority of amateur golfers . . . . it's also why pros have effortless power . . . . .they increase legnth of shot via acquiring more club head speed which is acquired via greater lag . . . . . the amateur interprets this as hit harder (which kills lag) . . . . the pro gets this by relaxing more and turning/pivoting faster.

The TS is the teacher of these concepts and Martin (TS inventor and PGA teaching pro) has been very generous in guiding many of us through the process/epiphany of lag/impact alignments / forward shaft lean / etc....

Check it out - you won't regret it.

I haven't, and I've gotten better, but I'm a bona fide golf nerd who loves to practice and learn . . . I'm a teacher and golf coach and I love the learning process and love getting better at stuff . . . have fun.

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1303796543' post='3186415']
Hello Martin, I'm kinda sick of hitting draws and fades, I want to hit it straight! What do you think of this? [url="http://www.perfectgolfswingreview.net/straight.htm"]http://www.perfectgo...et/straight.htm[/url] If I follow it, you think I could consistently hit it straight?
[/quote]

Frankie, it is really your choice.

I rarely try and hit a straight shot. I always have the feeling that I am going to fade or draw the ball. How much? About a yard or two either way. Why? Because if I manage the path, whether it is left or right, I have a better chance of managing the face and the face is the true KING of direction control.

I feel my swing as out to in for fades and in to out for draws. The face is closed to the target line and open to the path for a fade and open to the target line and closed to the path for a draw. All this is done with the feel of the mass lagging against the hands. This is IMPERATIVE to playing nicely. Don't throw the feel of the club's mass away.

There has been some discoveries in recent years thanks to Theodore Jorgensen's the Physics of Golf, Doppler Radar and some 3D machines. The define the plane the ball travels in as the D-Plane. If you can manage the base of the D-plane, you can check that off your list, then face is your only other concern. Managing path is not that hard and once you can do it, you'll have a better sense of confidence in where your ball is going as you will be able to complete the D-Plane with decent face control.

There are a ton of good bits about D-Plane on this site or Brian Manzella's site. Also, John Graham has done a very nice job explaining things. Check out YouTube as well.

The article you reference has some good stuff in it! I'm amazed how much shift (address vs impact) Zach Johnson has with his driver.

I am torn on which TS to buy. I swing my driver about 100-105mph but just got R flex irons as my swing speed with irons is slightly less. My hcp is an 8.8 but I attribute that to playing the same course (albeit hard) a lot and scrambling from my terrible iron play...it's actually not terrible...just short and slicey. Which version should I get?

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1303797619' post='3186446']
[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1303796543' post='3186415']
Hello Martin, I'm kinda sick of hitting draws and fades, I want to hit it straight! What do you think of this? [url="http://www.perfectgolfswingreview.net/straight.htm"]http://www.perfectgo...et/straight.htm[/url] If I follow it, you think I could consistently hit it straight?
[/quote]

Frankie, it is really your choice.

I rarely try and hit a straight shot. I always have the feeling that I am going to fade or draw the ball. How much? About a yard or two either way. Why? Because if I manage the path, whether it is left or right, I have a better chance of managing the face and the face is the true KING of direction control.

I feel my swing as out to in for fades and in to out for draws. The face is closed to the target line and open to the path for a fade and open to the target line and closed to the path for a draw. All this is done with the feel of the mass lagging against the hands. This is IMPERATIVE to playing nicely. Don't throw the feel of the club's mass away.

There has been some discoveries in recent years thanks to Theodore Jorgensen's the Physics of Golf, Doppler Radar and some 3D machines. The define the plane the ball travels in as the D-Plane. If you can manage the base of the D-plane, you can check that off your list, then face is your only other concern. Managing path is not that hard and once you can do it, you'll have a better sense of confidence in where your ball is going as you will be able to complete the D-Plane with decent face control.

There are a ton of good bits about D-Plane on this site or Brian Manzella's site. Also, John Graham has done a very nice job explaining things. Check out YouTube as well.

The article you reference has some good stuff in it! I'm amazed how much shift (address vs impact) Zach Johnson has with his driver.
[/quote]

I know, I'm amazed by Zach Johnson's swing plane position at impact and how it differs from address, too! I have a problem with my set-up position, apparently almost every golfer tells me my forearms are too close to my thighs. It's actually hanging directly below my shoulders instead of parallel to my thighs (if you prefer that?). How many inches do you think my forearms should be away from my thighs to be parallel to it?

[quote name='yahtzee' timestamp='1303846656' post='3187631']
I am torn on which TS to buy. I swing my driver about 100-105mph but just got R flex irons as my swing speed with irons is slightly less. My hcp is an 8.8 but I attribute that to playing the same course (albeit hard) a lot and scrambling from my terrible iron play...it's actually not terrible...just short and slicey. Which version should I get?
[/quote]

TS Pro 7 w/ the R Shaft. I think you'll like it. Thanks for the interest.

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1303880404' post='3189281']

I know, I'm amazed by Zach Johnson's swing plane position at impact and how it differs from address, too! I have a problem with my set-up position, apparently almost every golfer tells me my forearms are too close to my thighs. It's actually hanging directly below my shoulders instead of parallel to my thighs (if you prefer that?). How many inches do you think my forearms should be away from my thighs to be parallel to it?
[/quote]

Frankie, most players have their arms more "straight down" like Zach. My left arm is pretty straight down, while my right arm has a wee bend in the elbow and my right forearm is pretty close to the shaft angle. I prefer to see a soft right arm at address.

[/quote]

That's a very good drill, but in my opinion, the Tour Striker speeds the process and takes learning forward shaft lean to another level. I can't explain why, Martin is the expert, all I know is it flat out works.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1303904087' post='3189555']
[/quote]

That's a very good drill, but in my opinion, the Tour Striker speeds the process and takes learning forward shaft lean to another level. I can't explain why, Martin is the expert, all I know is it flat out works.
[/quote]

[size=2]Agreed, the tee drill has merits. I've used it for some to influence AoA.

The TS is helpful for learning because:[/size]

1. It's weird as hell and the face makes you go "Hmmmm? I see what I need to do to make it work."
2. You can learn to touch the ground with forward lean without the fear of laying sod over the ball. Many people starting with the TS land behind the ball and skid into it. While that is not ideal, it is one of the two pieces.
3. Second piece; when you can touch the ground with forward lean without fear, you can then learn to find a consistent low point via rhythm and sequence. Some people will need to modify their grip so the face presents squarely.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1303916911' post='3190023']

[size=2]Agreed, the tee drill has merits. I've used it for some to influence AoA.

The TS is helpful for learning because:[/size]

1. It's weird as hell and the face makes you go "Hmmmm? I see what I need to do to make it work."
2. You can learn to touch the ground with forward lean without the fear of laying sod over the ball. Many people starting with the TS land behind the ball and skid into it. While that is not ideal, it is one of the two pieces.
3. Second piece; when you can touch the ground with forward lean without fear, you can then learn to find a consistent low point via rhythm and sequence. Some people will need to modify their grip so the face presents squarely.
[/quote]

4) It's fun to use, when a student gets it airborne they grin from ear to ear!!!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again