Tour Striker

filthee

[quote name='flaun' timestamp='1304367416' post='3202750']
I've been working on a swing change to eliminate my horrid hooks and swing path. Thanks to some work with the Pro 7 iron and reading this thread I was able to make some good progress over the last month. After hitting several power hooks when first working with the club, I am now able to hit it straight or with a tiny fade. When I switch back to my normal 7 iron, the trajectory, spin, and distance is amazing.

I know that a lot goes into making improvements, but the TS was certainly a part of the process. Just this last weekend a buddy and I took 3rd place in a tournament after moving down a flight. I played great for 2 of the 3 days and we came home with more than we spent on the trip! Perhaps this product doesn't work for all people, but at a 9HC, I was able to use this club to focus more on my impact positions and make some serious improvements.

Thanks Martin for creating something that forces you to swing with better impact positions and doesn't make you look ridiculous when using it on the range. (At least no more ridiculous than normal :cheesy: )
[/quote]

Posts like this make my day. Thanks for sharing. I'm thrilled that it has had a positive "impact" on your game. (had to get that in there:))

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1304375944' post='3203145']
hi Martin,

I've been religiously watching your youtube videos, great stuff. After yet another horrible round, I have decided to make the plunge and get a tour striker.

I know you really push the TS Pro over the regular TS but still wanted to get confirmation as to which would be best for me.

About me:
20+ handicap
get in about 5 rounds a year
definitely a flipper
only time I take a divot is when I hit it fat (65% of the time) :(
live in the city so range time is limited

Assumptions:
have a child on the way so golf time will likely decline (I don't mind though) :)

So my question is, would the TS Pro still be suitable for someone like me given that I most likely won't have time to hit the range on a regular basis? This is making me lean towards the TS rather than TS Pro. However, from reading this thread, it looks as though using the TS off of range mats (which is all I ever hit off of) enables a little cheating. In that case, would the TS Pro be better?

Lastly, unsure of which flex to get. Driver SS is about 95-98 mph and 6 iron swing is about 80mph. Which flex would be best for me?

Thanks very much and hope to have a tour striker soon.

John
[/quote]

Congrats on the child! While exhausting beyond belief, it is the best thing ever.

Get the wedge! Great tweener for a guy that needs to get better without too much headache. Most shots are wasted around the green anyway.

Take care and best of luck with your little one.

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1304394691' post='3203898']
Hello Martin, it's Frankie again, and I'm having a problem with pitching again. I kinda want to learn how you pitch and some drills that help pitching. Questions like is your stance open, where do you place the ball in your stance position, what you do in the pitching swing, etc. for the basic pitch. Can you explain every aspects of basic pitching like that? I know this is too much to write and type about, but I'm having trouble making the ball stop, even with ProV1's and extremely clean grooves. Can you explain the basic pitch for me? Heck, if you're interested in really helping me, you could even make a video about pitching, even though I don't really need videos to help.
[/quote]

Frankie, which kind of pitch? A spinner (one hop and stop) or one that flies a little higher and releases?

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1304399663' post='3203999']
Hello Martin, it's Frankie again, and I'm having a problem with pitching again. I kinda want to learn how you pitch and some drills that help pitching. Questions like is your stance open, where do you place the ball in your stance position, what you do in the pitching swing, etc. for the basic pitch. Can you explain every aspects of basic pitching like that? I know this is too much to write and type about, but I'm having trouble making the ball stop, even with ProV1's and extremely clean grooves. Can you explain the basic pitch for me? Heck, if you're interested in really helping me, you could even make a video about pitching, even though I don't really need videos to help.
[/quote]

Frankie, which kind of pitch? A spinner (one hop and stop) or one that flies a little higher and releases?
[/quote]

The one hop stop kind of pitch, that's the one I can't do. Where do you place the ball in your stance, how wide is the stance, what do you do when you swing, etc. kinds of questions for that pitch. Can you help me with this?

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1304398610' post='3203981']
[quote name='zak flaps' timestamp='1304367372' post='3202747']
Do you post to Ireland from the USA? I didn't think you did.
[/quote]

We can, but we also have a distributor in England. Shoot hiim a note:

Ian Waddicar

[color="#555555"][size="2"]Vernon Street[/size][/color]
[color="#555555"][size="2"]Bolton BL1 2PT
Tel: 0844 209 8886 (UK Only) + 44 (0)1204 383 949 (Outside UK)
Fax: 0844 209 8887 (UK Only) + 44 (0)1204 381 277 (Outside UK)
[email protected][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Many thanks Martin. I'll try emailing Ian immediately.

Dave.

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1304404148' post='3204063']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The one hop stop kind of pitch, that's the one I can't do. Where do you place the ball in your stance, how wide is the stance, what do you do when you swing, etc. kinds of questions for that pitch. Can you help me with this?
[/quote]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvgJfwLjqXs[/media]

Frankie, here is a short excerpt from my short game DVD available on the website. This tip shows the leading edge shot; "Lee Trevino" spinning wedge shot. He was the master at this shot. Man, could he make the ball do some fun stuff on the green and this was before square grooves. I hit this shot about 25% of the time and I hit the "Tom Watson" mid-sole pitch about 50% of the time. I don't try and get the ball to spin unless I absolutely have to do so. The other 25% is the trailing edge pitch or "Philly Flop."

Keep in mind when watching the examples, the greens at Tetherow are really hard fescue surfaces. Just getting it to stop is a feat. The ball zips on bent or poa.

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

MC

I had 20 min of spare time today between appointments - got to work with my TS Wedge...

Hit 80 balls from 10 yards behind a 10 yard trap with another 10 yards of rough to the green.

Results - 20 balls stuck in trap. Half of them I didnt get the face on - the other half I didnt follow through.

1 ball was too long.

58 were on the green - 30 were balls I should 1 putt. The rest were two putters.

And 1 lonely ball found the cup!!!!

Im looking forward to seeing improvements with practice>>>>

[attachment=777835:IMG00018-20110503-1621.jpg]

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1304440736' post='3204788']
[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1304404148' post='3204063']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvgJfwLjqXs[/media]

Frankie, here is a short excerpt from my short game DVD available on the website. This tip shows the leading edge shot; "Lee Trevino" spinning wedge shot. He was the master at this shot. Man, could he make the ball do some fun stuff on the green and this was before square grooves. I hit this shot about 25% of the time and I hit the "Tom Watson" mid-sole pitch about 50% of the time. I don't try and get the ball to spin unless I absolutely have to do so. The other 25% is the trailing edge pitch or "Philly Flop."

Keep in mind when watching the examples, the greens at Tetherow are really hard fescue surfaces. Just getting it to stop is a feat. The ball zips on bent or poa.

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

MC
[/quote]

Wow, thanks Martin! I'll be sure to use this to fix my pitching. You're the best! And I think it's funny that you posted the video on Facebook too :cheesy:

[quote name='nickrut' timestamp='1304478528' post='3206467']
For proper forward shaft lean should I be able to consciously feel the bowing in my left wrist?
[/quote]

Depends on how you grip the club.

Weak grip will feel bowed
Strong grips will feel flat or even cupped.

If you have a strong grip and bow your left wrist, you'll hit it left or need to have way to much axis tilt (right side bend) to have a decent ball/ground strike.

Hi there Martin, love the product and concept behind it. Im a 3 hcap with a ss if 113mph, i do struggle with flipping through impact just wondering whether u think i should go for the normal pro version or the pro x? i guess the pro x would be much more of a challenge and would pay off in the long run.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

[quote name='davekzg' timestamp='1304543516' post='3208316']
Hi there Martin, love the product and concept behind it. Im a 3 hcap with a ss if 113mph, i do struggle with flipping through impact just wondering whether u think i should go for the normal pro version or the pro x? i guess the pro x would be much more of a challenge and would pay off in the long run.
[/quote]

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1304555762' post='3208708']
For a 3 hcp, I'd suggest the X. You can't be flipping too bad if you are a 3, right?
[/quote]

High speed 3 hdcp; go with the X. Thanks for the interest.

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1304555762' post='3208708']
For a 3 hcp, I'd suggest the X. You can't be flipping too bad if you are a 3, right?
[/quote]

Its not a huge flip its just ingrained and quite consistent, plus my putting is amazing which is why im a 3, just need to improve the long game!

[quote]
High speed 3 hdcp; go with the X. Thanks for the interest.
[/quote]

ok thanks for getting back to me Martin, will be sending Ian an email at golfsportsandsupplies.

is it ok to bend a standard lie to 2*upright, ive bent cast clubs before just wondered if this is possible with the tour striker as the head is different?

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I'm not sure which model to get. I'm a high handicapper who just started last year. Started at 120... low score this year is 90. So I feel like I'm improving pretty quickly. I have very good hand-eye coordination. I'm fanatical about practicing/playing. All that said, is the original 8i THAT much easier that I'll figure it out quickly and not reap any benefits? And is the 7i too difficult for a player of my abilities? I'm worried that if I get the original that it will collect dust in a month... but I'm also worried that if I get the pro 7i I'll be too frustrated to make it work. Advice guys?

[quote name='dgrove12' timestamp='1304626293' post='3210664']
I'm not sure which model to get. I'm a high handicapper who just started last year. Started at 120... low score this year is 90. So I feel like I'm improving pretty quickly. I have very good hand-eye coordination. I'm fanatical about practicing/playing. All that said, is the original 8i THAT much easier that I'll figure it out quickly and not reap any benefits? And is the 7i too difficult for a player of my abilities? I'm worried that if I get the original that it will collect dust in a month... but I'm also worried that if I get the pro 7i I'll be too frustrated to make it work. Advice guys?
[/quote]

If you're willing to work at it, I'm saying to go with the 7 Pro. It is frustrating, but all it will take is a few good ones to keep you swinging it.

[quote name='nickrut' timestamp='1304626750' post='3210682']
[/quote]

If you're willing to work at it, I'm saying to go with the 7 Pro. It is frustrating, but all it will take is a few good ones to keep you swinging it.
[/quote]

Yeah... I'm usually of the mindset that I won't let things beat me. The more difficult it is the more it'll piss me off until I can do it. After all, I am trying to learn the game of golf. That, in and of itself, is maddening :) I was just worried that the TSP 7i might get the best of me.

[quote name='dgrove12' timestamp='1304642090' post='3211213']
[quote name='nickrut' timestamp='1304626750' post='3210682']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah... I'm usually of the mindset that I won't let things beat me. The more difficult it is the more it'll piss me off until I can do it. After all, I am trying to learn the game of golf. That, in and of itself, is maddening :) I was just worried that the TSP 7i might get the best of me.
[/quote]

You might consider starting w the ts 56. It is the most versatile of the clubs for a newby. If you go w the 7 you can always fluff your lie until you can hit it off tight lies.

Good luck with your game.

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1304464744' post='3205841']
I had 20 min of spare time today between appointments - got to work with my TS Wedge...

Hit 80 balls from 10 yards behind a 10 yard trap with another 10 yards of rough to the green.

Results - 20 balls stuck in trap. Half of them I didnt get the face on - the other half I didnt follow through.

1 ball was too long.

58 were on the green - 30 were balls I should 1 putt. The rest were two putters.

[/quote]

Went out again today....

Looking better - more gimmies - more balls that were definitely 1 putts. Had a bad streak and put 5 in the trap, but generally was better. Only shanked 1.

Love the TS 56!

[attachment=780306:IMG00022-20110507-1649.jpg]

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1304808209' post='3215309']

1 ball was too long.

[/quote]

Went out again today....

Looking better - more gimmies - more balls that were definitely 1 putts. Had a bad streak and put 5 in the trap, but generally was better. Only shanked 1.

Love the TS 56!

[/quote]

I assume you are using the TS while chipping/pitching ----- Have you done the drill without using the TS since you started this? Just wondering what your results will be when you go back to you wedges.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1304812489' post='3215413']
[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1304808209' post='3215309']

1 ball was too long.

[/quote]

Went out again today....

Love the TS 56!

[/quote]

I assume you are using the TS while chipping/pitching ----- Have you done the drill without using the TS since you started this? Just wondering what your results will be when you go back to you wedges.
[/quote]

That's twice with my TS. Next week, weather permitting, I'll hit a bucket with my regular wedges and let you know. When I played last week, I know I was much better than before...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1304816405' post='3215535']

That's twice with my TS. Next week, weather permitting, I'll hit a bucket with my regular wedges and let you know. When I played last week, I know I was much better than before...
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing your results! Love the camera phone pic:)

Keep in mind, the TS 56 teaches one type of pitch shot (the one most golfers struggle with...) but there are other variations important to scoring (mid-sole and trailing sole).

Funny, a friend went to see Dave Edel, the fabulous engineer and putter guy. He had a LPGA Tour player in an 56 wedge with 18 degrees of bounce. I'm a fan of a ton of bounce. Helps take away the Pork Chops prior to impact:)

Hello Martin, I tried the Sharpie on the leading edge of my sand wedge, and I love it! Gives me a totally different feeling on pitches now. Today I golfed with some guy, and on my pitches, he complimented me like this, "Hey Trevino, stop doing that!" One thing that's totally cool is this, his mom used to baby-sit Paul McCartney from the Beatles when he was a little kid! Just thought I'd add in that last one :rolleyes:

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1304831050' post='3215938']
[/quote]

Keep in mind, the TS 56 teaches one type of pitch shot (the one most golfers struggle with...) but there are other variations important to scoring (mid-sole and trailing sole).

Funny, a friend went to see Dave Edel, the fabulous engineer and putter guy. He had a LPGA Tour player in an 56 wedge with 18 degrees of bounce. I'm a fan of a ton of bounce. Helps take away the Pork Chops prior to impact:)
[/quote]

Is there a vid showing which pitch the 56 TS teaches?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Chuck,

After reading this thread for the last two months, I need to make the plunge and finally get a TS... trying to figure out which one to buy.

108-110 Driver SS, finished last year at a 5.4 index. Discovered some major flipping and "armsy" swing on video this winter and have been working hard the last few months on hitting more with the pivot and a flat left wrist. I think I've made some progress but my scoring is suffering a little right now as I ingrain these new habits, handicap hasn't registered yet but I'm probably playing to an 8 this year.

Which one should I get? I was thinking of the 7x because I want to make as much improvement as possible and I'm not afraid to practice - but do you see any concern with the sweetspot on the 7x and how that translates to different iron sets that may have slightly different sweetspot locations?

Also, all my clubs are +1" and 2 degrees upright. I definitely want the lie changed but do you recommend getting the length as well?

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking forward to getting this thing out on the range.

Taylormade Qi10 LS : Ventus+ Blue
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5X

[quote name='JLew' timestamp='1304864273' post='3216356']
Chuck,

After reading this thread for the last two months, I need to make the plunge and finally get a TS... trying to figure out which one to buy.

108-110 Driver SS, finished last year at a 5.4 index. Discovered some major flipping and "armsy" swing on video this winter and have been working hard the last few months on hitting more with the pivot and a flat left wrist. I think I've made some progress but my scoring is suffering a little right now as I ingrain these new habits, handicap hasn't registered yet but I'm probably playing to an 8 this year.

Which one should I get? I was thinking of the 7x because I want to make as much improvement as possible and I'm not afraid to practice - but do you see any concern with the sweetspot on the 7x and how that translates to different iron sets that may have slightly different sweetspot locations?

Also, all my clubs are +1" and 2 degrees upright. I definitely want the lie changed but do you recommend getting the length as well?

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking forward to getting this thing out on the range.
[/quote]

For example, I've got a set of TM MB's on order and it seems the sweetspot seems to be a touch more towards the center due to the weight screw as opposed to on the heel side of center like most other musclebacks. It may be too small a diff to matter just thought I'd throw it out there so I'm not ingraining a sweetspot location on the 7x that won't be the same on my gamers.

Thanks.

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5X

[quote name='JLew' timestamp='1304887236' post='3217008']
Chuck,

[/quote]

For example, I've got a set of TM MB's on order and it seems the sweetspot seems to be a touch more towards the center due to the weight screw as opposed to on the heel side of center like most other musclebacks. It may be too small a diff to matter just thought I'd throw it out there so I'm not ingraining a sweetspot location on the 7x that won't be the same on my gamers.

Thanks.
[/quote]

J, the TSX sweetspot has a little toe bias. I think you'll like it. Thanks for the interest.

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1304858818' post='3216210']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1304831050' post='3215938']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Is there a vid showing which pitch the 56 TS teaches?
[/quote]

It's posted above, on this page. Cheers, MC

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1304919388' post='3218204']
[quote name='JLew' timestamp='1304887236' post='3217008']
Chuck,

[/quote]

Thanks.
[/quote]

J, the TSX sweetspot has a little toe bias. I think you'll like it. Thanks for the interest.
[/quote]

Thanks, Chuck. Are matching individual specs to the club (length/lie) critical to having success with it?

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5X

[quote name='JLew' timestamp='1304924205' post='3218263']

Thanks, Chuck. Are matching individual specs to the club (length/lie) critical to having success with it?
[/quote]

Critical? No. Getting the club close to something you are comfortable is important so it transfers to your set. You can actually save some dough if you have a decent club guy. Our adjustment prices are higher than some local shops.