2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tour Striker

filthee

Joe, Einstein once said something like, "trying to get a different result from doing the same thing is insanity."

1. Start with mid-body hands.
2. Get your right thumb off the club. It should rest peacefully on the left side of the grip and may or may not touch your right thumb.
3. With a ball, show me your "half swing" with the intent of getting the leading edge of the TS as close to the ground as your can. Let the ball get in the way of that "intent" and tell me where the ball is going (trajectory/direction).

Dig in, you are doing great.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty then. Im sure you guys have been waiting in a frozen state of absolute zero until I posted my swing today. I did the 9-3 drill if thats what its called. Addressed the ball mid body and kept my right forefinger and thumb off the club. Very difficult for me to say the least. The video unfortunaltey ddint come out tooo good because of the sun. Plus my wife was not with me today. Hit a bucket of balls this way. The vast majority were topped grounded and a little to the left. I was able to hit 2 that went maybe 30-40 yards line drived. I also used the Tour striker 5 iron for the whole practice session. Thanks again for all the valuable input.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZV3890SP9Q[/media]

And after that I really wanted to take out my frustration on the ball. Here is one of my best shots with the Tour striker 5 iron. This one went nearly 185-190. I will make the 200 yeard mark with this stick. It seems to me that when I dont think and just swing, a lot of good things happen. I mean I still topped a few and grounded a few but when I caught it, I really caught it. I also was not trying to hold my left wrist flat. I just let it go and the ball did. Only thing different is Ive been feeling like Im picking the club straight up literally. My left wrist is flat at the top of my swing but it feels very vertical to me. When I get that sensation, the ball really goes far, not sure why. Maybe that's a better swing plane for me I guess. Almost like on my back swing the club wants to hit my right ear and jaw. Anyway that is the best way I can describe it. But my right wrist is still breaking down. Enjoy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hem5aYVGLXA[/media]

Joe, if you really want to get frustrated, hit the TSP5 off of tightly mown turf. Range mats, while okay, allow for some cushion and extra forgiveness (ie. cheating:)).

Here's the deal; you clearly want to change. In fact, your swing works as it is. It just won't be very consistent in purity of strike with your given release pattern.

So, here's what I propose if you want to participate; I'm going give you an "online lesson." There is one catch....ready? You have to post (via video) you doing the drills I prescribe?

Are you in? I figure, you'll do so friggin' amazing that I'll be inundated with online lessons. Or, you'll get worse and I'll go hide under a rock.

I accept your online video challenge, Mr. Martin. So what do I need to do? I will video the entire drills that you prescribe. Id also like to keep posting my progress or humiliation on here so everyone else at the very least can get a good laugh at my expense. Also, my wife reminded me that I forgot to mention that I used to play golf cross handed. I still putt that way now but everything else is regular. I don't think that matters but I just want to give you as much information as possible. Im ready sensei.

[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1319454324' post='3710557']
I accept your online video challenge, Mr. Martin. So what do I need to do? I will video the entire drills that you prescribe. Id also like to keep posting my progress or humiliation on here so everyone else at the very least can get a good laugh at my expense. Also, my wife reminded me that I forgot to mention that I used to play golf cross handed. I still putt that way now but everything else is regular. I don't think that matters but I just want to give you as much information as possible. Im ready sensei.
[/quote]

I know Michael Breed isn't everybody's cup of tea but Ive had great results with this tip, i think the worst thing we can do as flippers is to try and consciously hold on to angles because it opens up a whole new can of worms

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JscCj5l5s&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JscCj5l5s&feature=relmfu[/url]

I think this product looks really solid, and I'm inclined to make the purchase. I am a good player (plus one handicap) but I do hit a lot of thin shots. On the range, I can take divots all day (well, maybe not off tight lies), but, particularly in tournaments, I can go an entire 18 holes without a single divot, even with my short irons. I guess I am an educated flipper (love that phrase, Martin). I hit a fair amount of OK shots that look fine, but lack that feeling of compression. I did not read all 53 pages of posts, but I'm curious if players have found that the device has really helped them to lower their scores? I see a lot of people talking about how they have improved their ratio of good shots with the TS over time, and their swings look better on video, but, of course, the goal here is to take that to the course. I'd be interested in hearing success or non-success stories regarding actual scores. Thanks in advance.

I'm just a 10 and have no idea how using a TS might help a +1.

I can only say that practicing with my TS 7 iron helps me get a feel for how to compress the ball with my irons. When I neglect practicing with it, old habits creep in, hit thin shots. When I pay attention to setup and ball position, which TS forces me to do, the results translate into more solid irons. I'm sure I hit the ball more consistently, better distance control.

Usually means I hit more greens.

[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1319454324' post='3710557']
[/quote]

I need to send you a video of drills. I should be able to do it today.

Then...

I would like you to follow the Rx as closely as possible. Please DON'T film in 210 fps...I can slow it down if need be. Film yourself running through the drills and regular speed. I'll show you how to post the drills in a short clip so we can all monitor your progress.

Regarding crosshanded; it is a great way to play. I played with Craig Welty (who's dad, Carl, is one of the best teaching pros in the business) and he was a phenomenal striker. His dad didn't change him and let him develop his alignments in the state he preferred.

[quote name='Tim Kratz' timestamp='1319500384' post='3713185']
I think this product looks really solid, and I'm inclined to make the purchase. I am a good player (plus one handicap) but I do hit a lot of thin shots. On the range, I can take divots all day (well, maybe not off tight lies), but, particularly in tournaments, I can go an entire 18 holes without a single divot, even with my short irons. I guess I am an educated flipper (love that phrase, Martin). I hit a fair amount of OK shots that look fine, but lack that feeling of compression. I did not read all 53 pages of posts, but I'm curious if players have found that the device has really helped them to lower their scores? I see a lot of people talking about how they have improved their ratio of good shots with the TS over time, and their swings look better on video, but, of course, the goal here is to take that to the course. I'd be interested in hearing success or non-success stories regarding actual scores. Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Tim, there are dozens of Tour Players who use the TS for various reasons. Better players get too steep (in most cases) and it helps shallow out the better player. The thing really acts as a rhythm tool for better players. You lean it fine, but get a little "antsy" on the course. This club will help you train your hands and rhythm to help you on the course.

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1319504828' post='3713523']

I can only say that practicing with my TS 7 iron helps me get a feel for how to compress the ball with my irons. When I neglect practicing with it, old habits creep in, hit thin shots. When I pay attention to setup and ball position, which TS forces me to do, the results translate into more solid irons. I'm sure I hit the ball more consistently, better distance control.

[/quote]

Hawk, thanks for the comments and kind words.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1319567685' post='3716533']

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1319504828' post='3713523']

[/quote]

Hawk, thanks for the comments and kind words.
[/quote]

Your help in selecting the proper TS for me, which also led to me getting a slightly different model for my daughter was greatly appreciated. Really helped her ball striking and something she could work out on her own. Had an incredible senior golf season and quality instruction and her great work ethic were the major keys, but the TS was the first training type aid that "clicked" for her. It was challenging and she could interpret the results, which made it fun.

Funny story, my pro got back this Spring and the first time I saw him he said he had the perfect training aid for me, and showed me his TS. I went out to my bag, showed him mine and said he was right!

Not trying to sound like a commercial, just affirming what others have noted. Great product from a quality person.

Joe, if you really want to get frustrated, hit the TSP5 off of tightly mown turf. Range mats, while okay, allow for some cushion and extra forgiveness (ie. cheating:)).

Here's the deal; you clearly want to change. In fact, your swing works as it is. It just won't be very consistent in purity of strike with your given release pattern.

So, here's what I propose if you want to participate; I'm going give you an "online lesson." There is one catch....ready? You have to post (via video) you doing the drills I prescribe?

Are you in? I figure, you'll do so friggin' amazing that I'll be inundated with online lessons. Or, you'll get worse and I'll go hide under a rock.

Martin: You learned from George Knudson? clapping.gif

Could you be so kind as to keep this thread alive with your online lesson for JoeCool73? If so, I don't think I'm the only one reading this thread who would be most grateful, as I'm sure some of the things you'll point out to him will apply to me and others in here.

I am IN for this!!

The TS is really helping me, and it will help more as I'm able to get more dedicated about practice time.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1319600174' post='3718969']
[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1319579860' post='3717393']
Fantastic Martin, and thanks. Looking forward to it
[/quote]

Good news...shot the video today. Bad news, didn't have the cable to get it from the camera to the computer. I'll post lesson 1 tomorrow.
[/quote]

My buddy, Jeff Ritter, didn't bring the cable today. Sorry the video still lives in his camera. I'll post lesson 1 for Joe tomorrow with any luck.

[quote name='corky' timestamp='1319659203' post='3722129']
what shaft is in the TS stiff? is it a TT Dynamic gold?

the reason for asking is that when I hit the TS really well it goes much further than my equivelent 7 iron....

thanks
[/quote]

It is a good feeling shaft! Funny thing is they are really inexpensive, but nobody in the US stocks the shaft! It's from a company called Formosa and is supposed to feel like the KBS stepped shaft.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1319693330' post='3724819']
[quote name='corky' timestamp='1319659203' post='3722129']
what shaft is in the TS stiff? is it a TT Dynamic gold?

the reason for asking is that when I hit the TS really well it goes much further than my equivelent 7 iron....

thanks
[/quote]

It is a good feeling shaft! Funny thing is they are really inexpensive, but nobody in the US stocks the shaft! It's from a company called Formosa and is supposed to feel like the KBS stepped shaft.
[/quote]

Ok Thanks....

Thanks for the video Martin. Project [b]Joey[/b], I do like the sound of that. Kind of reminds me of the Haney Project. No doubt, Martin, that you may be as good as Hank Haney but you got to give it to me that Im better than Charles Barkley. Thanks again for your time on this really. Ill hit up the range tomorrow after work and post back the video. No high speed just straight up HD this time.

[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1319760581' post='3728941']
Thanks for the video Martin. Project [b]Joey[/b], I do like the sound of that. Kind of reminds me of the Haney Project. No doubt, Martin, that you may be as good as Hank Haney but you got to give it to me that Im better than Charles Barkley. Thanks again for your time on this really. Ill hit up the range tomorrow after work and post back the video. No high speed just straight up HD this time.
[/quote]

Joey, If I can't get you swinging better then Romano/Barkley and Limbaugh I'm getting out of the business. It will take work on your part. You have the ability to make or break me, really.

Barkley, if you are are a closet GolfWrx blogger, I want a shot at you!

Martin: Many thanks for doing this.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1319770083' post='3729709']
[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1319760581' post='3728941']
[/quote]

Joey, If I can't get you swinging better then Romano/Barkley and Limbaugh I'm getting out of the business.
[/quote]

Ha,Ha,Ha LOL