2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

This Classic Club Forum

Just a note to all who participate
Many months ago, when Fred and I and a few others started to talk about a forum for those of us interested in classic clubs and other similar topics, we were met with enormous skepticism. Could a forum survive or would it be like others that sounded good but languished due to lack of interest?

I just have to say a resounding HURRAH!!!!!! to all those who's hard work and dedication to the wonderful world of classic clubs has turned this forum into a rousing success. To single out any one person would be a fools errand. Many people participate on a daily and/or weekly basis. But I think we all know that some members in particular should take a bow (blush a little "you-know-darned-well-who-you-are" - Fred, et al).

I can sense that momentum is continually building with more and more new threads and larger number of responses. I hope that the growth continues apace as we head into that part of the golf season when our thoughts turn to the "gamer" part of our bags. I have a feeling it will. After all, persimmon feels better with sweaty hands than frozen one.

PS I guess we'll know the forum is a success when I have to delete a post or two for someone breaking a posting rule. We are such a law-abiding lot. I guess there is either a much greater than average level of responsibility among classic club lovers or we're just too darned old to have any meanness left in us. Maybe we need some hot, new blood to spice things up! Or then again, maybe we don't. This old mod has enough to do policing the Tiger threads.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey George,
I agree and thanks for initiating the idea to get this started last year. Its great to see the enthusiasm and interest our "Persimmon/Classic/Hickory" space has created. We have so many (Global) regular posters and participants that show interest and really add so much to the topics. I don't think I've read one post with negative overtone in it and thats just a reflection on these members. It almost seems like the interest for these classic clubs has increased over the last year. I do think that today a lot of Golfer's are retreating a little to their "past" and even considering tinkering with the old stuff, if they are not aleady playing them. Its encouraging to see. The best part is connecting with people who share the same exact interest and passion in the game and these great classic clubs.

PS I guess we'll know the forum is a success when I have to delete a post or two for someone breaking a posting rule. We are such a law-abiding lot. I guess there is either a much greater than average level of responsibility among classic club lovers or we're just too darned old to have any meanness left in us. Maybe we need some hot, new blood to spice things up! Or then again, maybe we don't. This old mod has enough to do policing the Tiger threads.

Here, I'll get you started.

• I can't get my Armour 693T airborne when using Stack & Tilt.

• Is the USGA really going to make the grooves on my Texan non-conforming?

• Scotty Cameron won't refinish my old Titleist Persimmon woods in blonde.

• Butch Harmon must suck as a teacher because all his students need the new huge driver heads.

• I heard Elin went after Tiger with his original Ping Eye 2 wedge.

Need more?

Sorry, I'm a dork. cheesy.gif

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I would like to thank you also for initiating this forum and getting it up. This is easily one of my favorite forums here. What I really enjoy seeing is the passion that everyone seems to have about the old equipment. Fwiw, I think it's catching on and perking the interest of quite a few people. Thanks again. Scott

[quote name='smith5606' date='12 February 2010 - 09:50 AM' timestamp='1265989830' post='2246251']
One funny dork. That is absolutely classic, Kev. Thanks for your contributions as well.

BTW - if I started deleting posts from dorks, we'd be down to "Is this website that says they can sell a set of AP2's for $10 legit" threads.
[/quote]

Thanks for everything you do! The memories in this forum are priceless.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I like the old blades better than I do the old drivers. Back in the day so to speak, I busted quite a few persimmon drivers. I have a 3 wood head that I broke and a huge chunk came off the face next to the face insert. I hit a huge shot over water, while gambling for a huge amount of money. (huge for that time) I cut the shaft off at the hosel, and used it as a paperweight on my desk for years.

More than likely, the busting came from being poor and not being able to afford a new driver. I haunted the used bins for years. When Taylor Made came out with the 150CC burner, that I couldnt bust, then I jumped on the bandwagon.

I still play Ben Hogan irons, with the PC model, being my favorite along with the Redline model. It tickles the you know what out of me, that I can still hit a 1 iron and carry one in my bag, during the winter, spring and any fall time when the wind blows. It is a life saver, but more or less started out as something I could punch a ball out of the pine trees and off the pine straw in South Carolina.

I enjoy reading the post in this forum, keep them coming. Sorry I am a young pup, I will be 50 this summer.

Smitty, I'd participate more but with moderating and all, and being retired of course, I have little time left.cheesy.gif AND!! I've contracted the flu bug, even though I've had "both" of my flu shot. That flu can be a real pain in the rear. laugh.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I would like to add my thanks to those who set up this forum,
Since joining I have met many many fine people with whom I now communicate regularly on and off the forum. In addition I have met with some UK members and now we have regular games with persimmon - nothing can be better than that in terms of measuring the success of this site.
Thanks very much and well done!
Christian

Since taking up golf in august last year I have found a new outlet for my love of all things retro (other interests include vinyl and film cameras). I have split my playing between new gear and "old stuff" (much to the delight of my Teaching Pro, every time I go in its "so what new clubs have you got today?" lol) this forum has allowed me to share my interest/obsession/illness with others and I thank you for setting it up. clapping.gif

clapping.gif I'd like to add my voice to those praising this forum and the members who post here. Its becoming a great place to hang out. Playing persimmon full time can be a lonely pursuit at times, having to explain yourself endlessly as to your choice/preference to puzzled playing partners. Having a community of like minded individuals, even if they only play the old stuff ocassionally, helps a lot.

Perhaps it may just be the circles I hang out in but I do think that there is an undercurrent of disatisfaction with the modern game and the direction it has gone in. There are small signs of a backlash agains the corporatisation of golf on the horizon I believe and from little acorns................

This is not just an old mans trip down memory lane. At 41 I will be the oldest member of our persimmon fourball on Saturday. I genuinely believe that if most serious golfers were forced to return to persimmon and blades for a 6 month period and then given the choice as to whether they wanted to go back to the modern gear or stay where they are, the majority would stay with the old. I believe that they would find its not anywhere near as hard to hit those clubs as they thought it might be. The body and the the brain adjust quite quickly. And then they would discover, or rediscover the joy of playing courses that suddenly feel the right size and the pleasure of striking a ball from a true sweetspot that the only a traditional blade or persimmon can bring.

Cheers BG crazy.gif

I would also like to thank the responsible parties for setting up the forum, and all the participants too. One of the neat
things about the forum is that you can learn/discover new things (almost daily) even if you have been around the block
a few times.

I wish this had existed when I began my classic/persimmon club journey many years ago. I often wondered if I was alone
(or at least in a very small minority) in actually caring about these things, especially in the last five years or so.

Another benefit of the forum, knowledge in this area was in danger of extinction to some degree, no more I hope!

Thanks,

Wally

I will add my voice to this and say "Thanks!" to all here. This forum is responsible for me dusting off my one remaining persimmon, finding a driver to match, and 'getting out there'.

I have become disenchanted with some, but not all, of the direction golf has taken of late. No, I'm not interested it playing hickories, and I'll keep my more modern musclebacks, but these metal shoeboxes on popsicle sticks are an embarrassment. Quickly: I was playing Nike's original forged blades and their forged titanium driver (350cc?) when I had a serious enough back injury to keep me away for almost 7 years. I try to start playing again, about 3 years ago, and cannot hit my old clubs, so I start looking at what was available. Irons made of plastic, hybrids!?!?, and drivers the size of small delivery trucks. I swear, I could actually feel the wind resistance of the head when swung with any authority. I couldn't believe people actually played golf with this stuff, and just chalked it up to progress, and my getting old(er) and more narrow-minded.

Now my swing is about as good as it's gonna get, (right now I'm at 3.4), and something is missing. And for the moment, the click of a persimmon is enough to fill the void. :)

When people ask why, my response is "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer". Politely put of course.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

[quote name='JonT' date='13 February 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1266075274' post='2248696']
Great job and thanks to all responsible for starting this forum. I still play my Palmer "The Standard" irons on a regular basis and this forum has me interested in digging out my persimmon and laminate woods. Keep the treads coming guys!
[/quote]

Now that is the coolest art of this forum, memories like that. I had forgotten about [b]Palmer[/b] [b]The Standard[/b] irons. One of THE most beautiful blades ever made!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I joined golfwrx over Christmas just so I could see the pictures on this forum. The knowledge provided by everyone has been far beyond what I expected so I definitely have to give my thanks...I guess the only drawback, if any, is that deals on the bay are harder to come by(got my set for 62.50+free shipping), but maybe its just the weather. BTW, I'm 27.drinks.gif

I enjoy this forum a lot and have a basement full of this stuff. While most of it is seldom used anymore......I can't seem to part with any of it.

The game was simpler then......we focused more on shots than distance. I feel sorry for those that didn't experience it, because it had an aura that is missing from the game today.

Thanks for all that make this section so enjoyable!

[quote name='Ciotog99' date='14 February 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1266165897' post='2250773']
I'd also like to Thank You for this forum. I truly enjoy talking about Classic clubs.

I for one miss the sound of steel spikes, the feel of persimmon and a HAND forged iron. There is no comparison... they sure don't make them like they used to!
[/quote]

I'd pay a couple hundred a year more for my membership if I could wear steel spikes!

[quote name='Night train' date='14 February 2010 - 11:59 AM' timestamp='1266166775' post='2250798']
[quote name='Ciotog99' date='14 February 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1266165897' post='2250773']
I'd also like to Thank You for this forum. I truly enjoy talking about Classic clubs.

I for one miss the sound of steel spikes, the feel of persimmon and a HAND forged iron. There is no comparison... they sure don't make them like they used to!
[/quote]

I'd pay a couple hundred a year more for my membership if I could wear steel spikes!
[/quote]

Yessir!

Its great to see the number of people that do have the interest in playing these classic clubs. Brokgolfer really had some interesting points that I totally agree with. Before I went out a couple of springs ago and hit one of my persimmons, I think the last time I played or even hit one was around 1989. The last 2 seasons I did get a chance to go out and play quite a bit with a few of mine and you really have a completely different perspective on the golf course. To me the golf course feels and looks completely different when your playing persimmon and your not overpowering par 4's. Hitting these classic clubs does require a better focus on your swing. There isn't much room to get lazy like there is when your using the Hitech oversized Ti clubs. This increase in focus really gets the juices going and gets you into a zone thats not possible while playing modern day offerings and brings you back to real golf IMO. The way it was meant to be played. I perfer to play a driver that is a traditional pear shaped club made of persimmon, not an oversized sphere, rectangle, square or whatever shape they decide to make these days. I'd encourage people who say they miss the feel of persimmon to go and find one, or buy one off ebay. You'll quickly get hooked and be glad you did. It sure is a blast!

Add me to the people who are grateful to the classic forum. I've managed to get a few of my friends into some classic blades that I reshafted and sold to them for cost. About 6 months ago I had the pleasure to get paired up with a talented 14 year old player. During the round he asked to hit my Wilson FG 51's, of course after stipping an 8 iron to 6 feet he was hitting my irons on nearly every hole. To make a long story short I got paired with him again this weekend and he is playing a refinished, reshafted set of Macgreagor VIP's from the late 60's. It's great to see our younger generation taking an interest in the classics.

This forum has been great. I'm 38 and started playing golf before my teens so have played a lot of golf with "proper" woods. In the last few years I have started to collect some classics which will see some course time this summer. Along with my old John Letters blades I've put together a classic bag, will try and post some pics soon.

Somebody has been reading this forum and is trying to cash in as there are some persimmon beauties to be had for UK eBayers today, more than I remember seeing in recent timers. Enjoy!

And to think I was the only one. Well, I suppose I [i]am[/i] the only one of my friends (all around 20-30 years old) who cares about older equipment and the value it brings to one's game. Man, I feel like I share a bag with some of you. I play Hogan Apex PC irons (2-E) and an ol' 1-iron from my basement made by some obscure company called Stature or something. Tomorrow, my set of Wilson Staff Tour Block persimmons should be coming in - finally going back to persimmon after having learned the game with the same model of woods eight years ago. I needed a shot of persimmon to bring back the fun I was missing and the fairways I was hitting (more as a 13 year-old than now). Are there mishits that make our hands sting and shots that go nowhere? Sure. But to me, that's part of the charm and part of the path toward becoming a great ball striker and, overall, golfer.

¡Vivan persimmon woods, forged irons, and traditional, tougher-than-grit golfers!

Wow, I just stumbled over here from "the other side". I hadn't noticed the Hickory Stick Forum until tonight.
Unlike many of the posts in this thread, I AM a hickory guy. I've got several sets that I purchased several years ago. But, all this talk of the old classic blades have got me in the mood to go looking for some of them as well. I've still got my "old" persimmon driver that I bought new. That was what I was using when I FINALLY switched to metal. Almost all my golfing buddies had already made the switch, but it was really hard for me to do.
Anyway, thanks for putting this forum together. I can't wait to participate.