2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Courses for a Yank in Surrey?

Anyone able to recommend courses in the Surrey area? It's looking like I'm going to have 12-14 months over there in the Kingdom while I complete my Master's degree. I know Wentworth is nearby, will definitely be trying to play there at least once. Will probably make a pilgrimage up to St. Andrews at some point too, because...well duh. But other than that, I'm wide open and would love to know some of the good courses nearby that I could play more regularly. Good practice areas are a plus, too. I'm beyond excited. Hoping folks don't hold my American-ness against me. Cheers!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silvermere range could be your friend for practice as quite close and very good pro shop. I would look at West Hill, New Zealand, Hankley Common, Worplesdon, Walton Heath, Berkshire, Burhill and Foxhills as local courses that are accessible at different pricing levels.

St Andrews is worth a pilgrimage but do combine it with other courses like Muirfield and Carnoustie as frankly the latter are better courses. Guildford is a nice area and I used to be a member at Wisley which is just down the road but that is only accessible as a members guest but do play there if you ever get the chance, same as Queenwood where guys like Ernie Els and Darren Clark are members but that is ultra private

There are many great courses in Surrey and Berkshire. I played a number of them when my son was at LSE a few years ago. The well known courses are expensive. The most famous Heathalnd courses are Sunningdale, Walton Heath and Wentworth. Each venue has 36 holes. Wentworth and Sunningdale are both quite expensive. I much prefered Sunningdale. a day at Sunningdale is a day in golf heaven. Walton Heath is just about as good a bit less expensive.

There are the "three "W's": Woking, Worplesdon and West Hill. I loved Woking and Worplesdon, although if you are a long hitter off the tee, you may find Woking a tad short for your game.

New Zealand is one of the most under-rated courses I have ever played. I loved the course, the club house and the welcome they gave. It is like stepping back 100 years in time.

Other great courses are Berkshire ( 2 courses), and St Georges Hill (27 holes) My photo on this site is from St george's Hill.

Further South are Hankley Common, Hindhead and Liphook which are less expensive and worth the trip. They are excellent heathland courses.

Most of these are not inexpensive. Hopefully the locals can give you some tips on some hidden gems that would be less expensive than these well known courses. I haven't played Taandridge, Burhill, West Surrey, Royal Mid-Surrey, Royal Automobile, Coombe Hill and Reigate Heath but I've read good reviews of those courses. It would be worth checking their websites.

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/557716049LvLCaA"]SA's Heathland pix -Surrey[/url]

As mentioned, Surrey has a lot of good courses and no doubt there will be something available whatever your budget.

A course I would highly recommend is [url="http://www.westhillgc.co.uk/"]West Hill[/url] . Not as well known as a many of the other courses in Surrey, it's a classic heathland track along the lines of Wentworth and Walton Heath, though half the price. It's not long by any means (just over 6000 yards off the yellows) but is always in beautiful condition and has some nice strategic holes. If you are lucky enough to play it on a day when the sun is shining, it really is a fantastic day out.

• 4 weeks later...

You've probably picked about the best place to base yourself for golf! Surrey must have one of the highest denities of courses of any county in England. So far the majority of picks have only focussed on the western end, happily where you are, and this is where the best courses are anyway.

Agree with almost all above and all the good courses have been picked out for you (even Sunningdale and the Berkshire, both in the county of.....Berkshire!!!). Of course they are a matter of a few hundred yards over the border with Surrey.

The vast majority of the must-plays, all listed above, are heathland (pine trees and heather etc). Very different style of golf compared to majority of US courses I have played, Pinehurst being an obvious exception. Often means that a short looking course can play a fair bit harder, since if you are off the fairway, you run a serious risk of losing your ball or breaking your wrists (not literally) trying to move it out and forwards! Bear in mind that many of these courses were built 100 years ago (plus or minus) so are quite short by modern standards, Wentworth West aside. Also, you'll be walking and if in a two ball expected to be round in 3hrs to 3.15.

Some of those mentioned by Sabram are worth a comment. I have played Royal Automobile Club and found it quite dull except for a couple of holes. Burhill has a wonderful clubhouse, and decent, if not stellar, course attached. Coombe Hill is a bit of a sleeper - again plays longer than the card and somehow you always seem to be hitting up hill after the first couple of holes! Very close to there is Royal Wimbledon, again a decent course. These are all up the A3 (main road that runs diagonally through Surrey) in towards London.

On a value for money basis, I love Hankley. 15 minutes from Guildford the other way down the A3 (if you're on the right side of town and not in the rush hour) and a fantastic course. Acres of space and not a house in sight and a few outstanding holes (particularly the par 3s).

One other, to the eastern end of the county and really in the London suburbs, that I hear lots of good things about, is The Addington (not to be confused with Addington Palace). I've not played there but it is on my to do list.

For practice, Silvermere is the obvious choice both as a range (mats - you'll find very few grass ranges for joe public to play on) and as a possible cheap and cheerful course, but it does get very busy. Also, try Windelsham - this does have a grass range and some of the best teaching pros around. Not played the course - looks wide open an windy. From Guildford again maybe 20 mins and you pass the '3Ws' mentioned above as you go. One other course to mention is Kingswood, near Walton Heath, which is a HS Colt design (as is Camberley Heath, now I think about it - also near Guildford). Again, if demoing clubs it has a grass range and the course has had some great upgrading so the condition is much better these days. Attractive track.

Happy hunting and keep us posted on your progress.

Obviously, the best picks in the area will be Wentworth West, Walton Heath and Sunningdale (actually in Berkshire). Guilford where you are staying has the oldest course in Surrey (1886) and is a pretty good track and Puttenham (1894) is not far away and is pretty good too. keep your eyes open for classic Harry S Colt, J H Taylor and James Braid designed courses which are in abundance in this neck of the woods. Queenswood is easily the most exclusive club in Surrey but is impossible to get a game unless invited by a member - a bit like Augusta. Lucky for you, Surrey and the surrounding counties has some of best courses in the UK to pick from, but don't be afraid to travel a little bit further afield to try a few other of the classic UK courses. The UK is, after all, rather small compared to the US. Here's a guide to Surrey courses: [url="http://www.surreygolfguide.com/Courses/CourseList.aspx"]http://www.surreygolfguide.com/Courses/CourseList.aspx[/url]
Enjoy.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I've played once at Betchworth Park golf club near Dorking which, if memory serves, is not too far from Guildford. Originally a Harry Colt layout it is quite hilly, partly tree-lined and with houses near a couple of the tees. But not an American-style housing course by any means. Very non-stuffy and straightforward environment. And the golf course itself would seem more familiar to Americans than the Heathlands courses (although for my part I much prefer a course like Walton Heath, et. al.) if that matters at all. I don't get the impression it would be a hard club to get into.