The Search Is Over. Gamer V2

pd570

Has anyone compared the Gamer V2 to the TaylorMade Burner LDP? I'm a low 90's shooter and have played the TM Burner for a year. I really like the ball and it seems to spin fine for me. I can hold the green from 145 with an 8 iron.

I have read that it does not spin much but according to Golf Digest it has more spin than the TM Burner.

Any comparisons would be appreciated.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I bought a 15 pack (not on sale) and this is a great ball. It was a wet day, but I was sucking back 8/9 irons 4-6 feet and embedding higher lofted wedges into the green after kicking up a patch of grass. Lacked the greenside feel I was used to, but nothing I cannot get accustomed to. It's a long ball, too. For the price point, I'm sold.

[quote name='golfmaniac1' timestamp='1288071035' post='2759663']
Dang I found one of these today and tossed it further in the woods when I read the Top Flight part.. I had no idea they were supposed to be decent. I'll give them a shot now.
[/quote]

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I always just put the topflites back when I find them. Now I have to make sure they are not a gamer first!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='golfmaniac1' timestamp='1288071035' post='2759663']
Dang I found one of these today and tossed it further in the woods when I read the Top Flight part.. I had no idea they were supposed to be decent. I'll give them a shot now.
[/quote]

To late to give them a try as a karma hex has been placed on your swing for hitting TF balls. :diablo:

Some of you have stated that you like the ball, "but it's no Pro V". What do you feel are the differences between the Gamer and the premium ball of your choice? If it's more durable, spins as much and goes as far, what is the missing element? I'm not being sarcastic, I am truly looking for input here. I played the original and thought it performed very well, all my playing partners made fun of it, of course. Until we settled up at the end of the round. :) Do you think the quality and manufacturing tolerances are as tight as the premo balls? I think Top-Flite/Cally should do some launch monitor testing and use the results in an ad campaign.

[quote name='hogan64' timestamp='1288102622' post='2759969']
Some of you have stated that you like the ball, "but it's no Pro V". What do you feel are the differences between the Gamer and the premium ball of your choice? If it's more durable, spins as much and goes as far, what is the missing element? I'm not being sarcastic, I am truly looking for input here. I played the original and thought it performed very well, all my playing partners made fun of it, of course. Until we settled up at the end of the round. :) Do you think the quality and manufacturing tolerances are as tight as the premo balls? I think Top-Flite/Cally should do some launch monitor testing and use the results in an ad campaign.
[/quote]

FWIW: I was one person who said, "Good ball, but not a ProV1." After playing the Gamer V2 for a month, I now retract that statement. This is a "Fantastic" ball, and I can see no reason that would justify paying all that money for ProV1 balls any longer! :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1288103098' post='2759978']
[/quote]

FWIW: I was one person who said, "Good ball, but not a ProV1." After playing the Gamer V2 for a month, I now retract that statement. This is a "Fantastic" ball, and I can see no reason that would justify paying all that money for ProV1 balls any longer! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I have to believe that the name recognition issue will play tricks on the mind. It's funny how people react when you say Top-Flite. You get the usual "rock flite" remark. I'd bet a dollar that if you had unmarked versions of the top three premium balls and the Gamer side by side for testing, that 99% of the golfers wouldn't know the difference.

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1288103098' post='2759978']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I have to believe that the name recognition issue will play tricks on the mind. It's funny how people react when you say Top-Flite. You get the usual "rock flite" remark. I'd bet a dollar that if you had unmarked versions of the top three premium balls and the Gamer side by side for testing, that 99% of the golfers wouldn't know the difference.

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1288192015' post='2761714']
[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/golf-balls/2009-05/hotlistcriteria_golfballs?currentPage=2"]http://www.golfdiges...s?currentPage=2[/url]
DT Solo not listed but a nice chart of the TF Gamer V1.

No spin data below.

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/golf-balls/2010-06/hotlist-golfballs-under20"]http://www.golfdiges...lfballs-under20[/url]
[/quote]

Really interesting study in the first link with spin and launch data! Bridgestone e5 is really close to the one I usually play, Callaway Tour ix. I guess I over looked the budget on balls! Great thread! Opening my eyes enough to at least give some balls a test drive.

Been very happy with the Gamer this summer. I'm using Nike Mojo's now since they are really cheap!

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

I know the feeling well. I usually play a quick nine and both # 1 and # 10 have OB right and left respectively. Run from car to tee and load up a nice new ball only to quit on the swing and push it or quit on the hands and pull hook...great way to start the night. Tee up something found on the course and straight down the fairway it seems. Playing the cheap stuff has that same affect, so I'm lovin' the Gamers and Mojos...

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

So I bought a dozen+3 gamer V2 pack and quickly walked out in shame. Get home and quickly sharpied the top-flight names out. I removed all balls from my bag (Srixon, ProV, Cally) and only put the Gamers in which forced me to play them yesterday.

Results after 18 holes is wow. I actually like this ball. Hit quite a few GIR and was straight and long off the tee. Shot a +6 78 and that is with no birdies. I had 3 birdie putts lip out but was making long puts for par/bogey (this is a cruel game). Anyways go figure I lost 0 balls yesterday and played the same one the whole round. I guess premium balls have water magnets on them. Almost every iron/wedge was hop and stop from 5 iron down and was within a foot and a half of the ball mark. This really opened my mind to trying some of these budget balls. I was a ball snob before and now have a different view.

[quote name='EBE-GOLFIN' timestamp='1288987934' post='2776390']
Anyone have a perspective on the difference betwwen the Gamer and the TF D2 Feel ???
[/quote]

Good point! I'd like to know the difference you would see in distance betweent the gamer v2 and the d2 feel. Also, do you lose any distance with these balls over say a pro v1x?
thanks

[/quote]

The only difference I see with the Gamerv2 and the ProV is the short iron spin around the green. I think if you play tougher courses with tight pin placements you would want the extra spin of the ProV. You also have to get over the mental side of playing a Topflite! It only took me a few rounds to get over it.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Best rounds of my life were shot with a Srixon Trispeed. I think I picked them up at like $15 a box. Still have boxes of the older TP Black X-Outs that I got at Dick's for $12 a box. I think I bought 10 boxes :-)

Balls are a funny funny thing. I love the Pro-Vs around the green. You can't beat the feel and spin. But if you play smart golf, calculate your misses, you can play a slightly harder ball that will give you more driver and iron distance, not to mention a bit more accuracy, AND STILL get your chips/pitches close,

Not suprised to see someone have so much success with a "cheap" ball.

[quote]Anyone have a perspective on the difference betwwen the Gamer and the TF D2 Feel ???
[/quote]

Just my observations so your mileage may vary with your swing speed and playing conditions...

During the summer, I found the GamerV2 to be 10-15 yards longer than the TF D2 Feel off the driver and a few yards longer with irons. Now that I have been playing in colder temps (50s-60s), the distance gap has been reduced and if anything, the D2 Feel seems longer off my 3 thru 5 irons. On short "half swing" touch shots around the green, the GamerV2 seems to provide more spin but not enough to be a big deal for my game. Both balls hold the green well on full swing approach shots and have a nice response off the putter face. Although I have yet to convince myself that I am 100% correct, it seems like the GamerV2 maybe alittle "straighter" off the driver, but I also consider the D2 Feel to be a very "straight" ball compared to others I have tried.

I like them both for price and performance...for me, D2 Feel in the fall/spring and GamerV2 during the summer.

Paul