The Search Is Over. Gamer V2

pd570

I've been on the same search for a while now, a good performing ball that didn't cost an arm and a leg to play. I play a few times a week and paying $40 a dozen for Callaway's or Srixon Z-Stars is killing me(and my wife even more..!!). I cringe when i lose one or it gets scuffed up to the point where i can't play it anymore, and living here in the desert the courses have a lot of rocks and dirt evrywhere. If u aren't dead straight in the fairway a lot of courses don't have much rough to speak of, just hard dirt and plenty of rocks. If your having a bad day driving the ball straight(which everyone does from time to time) then u are in trouble out here, and your losing balls or scuffing them up pretty bad,which sucks..!!

I have tried just as many mid level and high end balls as the OP here and have recently been thinking of trying the V2 Gamers but i'm not gonna lie, the only thing holding me back was the fact they are made by Top Flight. I know that sounds crazy but i have never liked any Top Flight products and thought these balls were probably just more hype than anything else, but now I am really excited to hear that they are working out so well for people and i'm gonna go grab a dozen today at Target and see for myself.

Thanks for the reviews and I'm hoping i have as much luck with these as u all are having.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's truly too bad so many people get hung up on the old Top Flite logo.

Back in the day, one of the first balls I ever played was a Top Flite (by Spalding at the time), with Spalding making many of the balls I played including Top Flite, Star Flite, Canada Cup, and Kro-Flite.

Later on Spalding came up with the first substitute for Balata with the (was it Zinthane?) synthetic covered Tour Edition.

They also came out with some nice tour-quality balls, including the well loved yet now gone Strata Tour.

Callaway has owned the brand for 7 years now - almost like a Callaway Jr. if you'd like, and bought it as their own balls were unable to compete against the Acushnets of the world. Also something about a patent in there too.

To me, if you're enjoying a Tour i, an HX Bite, or even a Gamer, these balls all come from the same family tree as that lowly old Top Flite. One could even argue that Cally's ball business was dead in the water before their acquisition of Top-Flite.

To not play a ball beacuse of the brand is terribly silly, expecially considering the legedary impact it has had on more "popular" balls right now. If it games good, play it.

PS - I preferred Gamer V1 - a fair bit spinnier, though a lot less durable. Regardless, always been a fantastic ball for the money.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Add me to the list. I normally play a ProV1x or a Z-Star X and love them. A buddy of mine was playing GV2's and gave me a sleeve. I hit one alongside my usual ball and found that I was a club longer with my irons and hit the driver about 5-10 yards further. BUT, the spin around the greens was pretty good too. It doesn't spin QUITE as much as the "x" balls, but it will hop and stop pretty well.

One thing I actually liked was that I wasn't pulling the GV2 backward off the green with an 8 or 9 iron hit into a green that was slanted toward me as I hit. Sometimes I can't hold the ball on the green with the "x" balls. For half the price (or even better on sale), these balls are a great value.

I dont hit the ball very far and I dont spin much. With that said, I like the V2. It goes far, has some spin, holds up well and is priced at a level I like. Picked up two dozen at Target for 17.99. At that price if I dont like them, I can give them to my son.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

While no ball is for everyone, I beginning to think that the Gamer V2 is the ideal combination of compression, spin, and launch for me ...

I've been a long time premium ball player (Titleist Pro-V, before switching to the Bridgestone B330-S, and then to the Srixon Z-star). I originally bought these to play as a winter, spring ball but my results are making me re-think that plan. I've been playing golf for 16 years. My play has been pretty steady for the last few years (overall average score of 79), starting off creaky in the spring and then posting enough 73 and 74's in the late summer to keep my handicap around 4-5. In all this time, I have NEVER broken par ...

Since switching to the Gamer, I've shot a personal best 68 (-4) as well as 71 (-1), and usually have at least one 9 in my rounds that is around par or better. I've been a completely different player this year, and I think at least part of it is the ball. I'm getting much more consistent distances (which I think is do to the compression being a good fit for me) and get just enough spin that I can predict what the ball will do. With the premium balls, I think I had too much trouble controlling spin (spinning a ball back when I want it to release, or the ball releasing when I want it to stop ...).

It's also interesting seeing the responses of some of the people when they see what ball I'm playing. My favorite was the old guy who was lecturing me about needing to play a premium ball after I made my third birdie on the front nine, having hit both par fives in two ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I don't game the v1 yet. I just started playing last fall. I found the best ball that fit me was the E6. that was getting expencive quick. As I try to play more than put in range time. Like many here I found the Top flights. I grabed a couple doz for 15 bucks on a whim. Best move I ever made. There are just as good as the more expensive E6. I couldn't tell any diffrence other than price. They go strait and my game is improving. I also get flak from my buddys for using Top flight. I don't care, it works for me. Also nice to know I have the V2 option as I get better. Thanks all

You started your post stating something about 'matching the ball to your game' yet you didn't mention your handicapp or experience level. I did however read in one of your postings that your now scoring under 100.

Asside from its less than durable cover THE ORIGINAL GAMER was a far better ball than the V2. (at least for lower handicapp golfers).

As a person's handicapp gets lower & lower, their demand for a quality ball rises. I am of the opinion that the Gamer would fit the 12 to 18 handicapp crowd. Of course thats where TopFlight is directing its marketing of this ball anyway.

handicap 10 playing 5 years.
low score 72 (on a 71 course)
average mid 70's to low 80's
the post you read pertained to my first year, going from never having played in july to breaking 100 in october of that year.
regardless of handicap or skill level, so many golfers play the pro v series or other expensive high-performance balls, and I think the gamer v2 is a good alternative at a much cheaper price.
for instance, I still love the high-end callaways, but it's hard for me to spend that much money on balls. for me, the gamer v2 is a very acceptable compromise between performance and price, more so than other balls.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a dozen last week while in Myrtle beach and thought they had a nice feel but they did not spin nearly as much as my E5+'s did. On half wedge shots I could not get the V2's to sit, they would roll out more than I was expecting. The e5+ on the same shot would just one hop and sit. I will play them again here at home this week, but I am not sold yet.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

I've always tried to play a high end ball. Index usually runs in the low teens (should be in the high singles soon though). I have always bought last years balls in bulk (usually 4-6 dozen) and they would last the year. This year I couldn't find any cheepies, so after reading all the good reports here I thought I'd give them a try.

They go very high for me. As that bad? I'm not losing any distance, so they must not be too high.

Will that matter in the wind? I usually knock the ball down a bit when it's windy, and this ball seems to knock down fine.

They don't spin as much as a premium ball. I haven't had any trouble holding greens, probably because they fly so high, when they come down it's almost straight down, so there isn't a lot of roll-out. Even with a 6 iron from 185 I can hold a green with these. It's not hop and stop, but with a wedge it's never more than a foot or two and with a mid iron it's never more than 10-12 feet. If the greens get so firm I can't hold then I guess I'll re-evaluate, maybe club down and play to the front instead of firing at the pin. I haven't had to deal with it yet.

They seem a little soft. I use a forged iron and from what I've experienced with "soft" balls is that I lose some of the sense of my mishits. They make it a little hard to pinpoint from impact where the ball is on the face. I am still able to feel these. They're not like a noodle or the wilson 50 (the only "soft" balls I've ever hit).

These make me wonder just how much benefit I've gotten over the years playing a premium ball. I feel I may have lost a little control, but I haven't lost any strokes, so maybe that control didn't make the difference I thought it did.

Converted here as well. I was playing a ProV1x for about the last year (about 100 rounds). I read this thread and figured, 'why not?'. I switched over in early May and I haven't even thought about switching back. The ball is REALLY good. It jumps off the tee and feels amazing. Irons are absolutely a half club longer.

The only downside is the spin around the green. You can pull off a two hop stop with the Gamer - but ripping balls back from a fairway lie is asking a bit much. I'm not really that kind of player (more of a get it on the ground and let it run person), so the change doesn't impact me a lot.

Everyone should pick a box of these up and put your next 5 rounds in with them. You will see.

btw - I've also had the experience of "What kind of ball are you playing...Top Flight?! <snicker>" from playing partners. Until they see the ball off the tee.

I picked up a dozen this morning myself to give a try. As for play the ball really surprised me, loved the feel off the driver and distance was ok. What dissapointed me though was the durability. Man did I ever scuff these things up. Had to switch balls out after 12 holes and none were from the cart path. My irons really tore these things up for some reason. Still like the ball though and plan on giving another workout tomorrow.

[quote name='joekelli' date='22 June 2010 - 11:51 PM' timestamp='1277265084' post='2527369']
I picked up a dozen last week while in Myrtle beach and thought they had a nice feel but they did not spin nearly as much as my E5+'s did. On half wedge shots I could not get the V2's to sit, they would roll out more than I was expecting. The e5+ on the same shot would just one hop and sit. I will play them again here at home this week, but I am not sold yet.
[/quote]

Gave the gamerv2 another try today on some firm greens and was not very happy with the results. On 50 yards and in chip shots I could not get them to stop. My E5+'s would stop in half the distance and then I tried a Prov1 and was able to get them to bite even better than the E5+. For just a few dollars more than the Gamerv2 the E5's perform great for me. The Gamer V2 is a good ball but just not for me.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='TAG617' date='01 July 2010 - 09:14 AM' timestamp='1277993651' post='2548740']
Can anyone compare the V2 to the new NXT? I've been wanting to try the E6 as well. My SS is between 95-100mph.
[/quote]

I think the V2 is a much better ball that the new NTX. V2 feels softer and compresses better than the new NTX. The new NTX feels harder and doesn't spin as well as the Gamer. I think the Gamer is the best bang for the buck. BTW I have about the same swing speed as you.

Well, after a week with no rain the greens have really firmed up and now the gamer v2 is out of the bag. I had 4 shots out of nine hit the green and bounce off. Just not enough spin to hold a firm green. Pulled a PV1X out for the back nine and everything was fine. Darn...The search goes on.

[quote name='Abs777' date='08 July 2010 - 10:49 AM' timestamp='1278600590' post='2562473']
Well after reading this post I decided to go and get a box of these. I figured for the money might as well try it. I sanded off the 'Top Flight' on every ball last night. Will this effect the ball flight? I don't want people to know that I play a TF. :beee:

We will see how they do today.
[/quote]

This ball is not RockFlight. I picked up 6 doz when Target had them for under $14 and now I proudly play a TopFlight. Best cheap ball ever made!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='eyeguy' date='08 July 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1278627236' post='2563410']
Any single digit HC using this ball? If so, opinions?
[/quote]

I've got a bit of a soft spot for this ball, since I finally managed to break par this year (twice!) using it. I've been using this ball pretty extensively this season, and I've yet to run into course conditions that have required me to switch to a higher spinning (premium) ball, which has really surprised me.

My last two rounds were in pretty firm, quick conditions, and the ball worked quite well. Played with my FIL at his country club (which is one of the premier courses in my area), and had no trouble holding greens. Unfortunately, I think the old man is now permanently scarred by getting beat on his home course by someone playing a Topflight ...

In my opinion, most of the stopping power of this ball is from trajectory. I get a pretty consistent 6-10 feet of rollout on my approaches throughout the bag. The only thing this ball can't do is consistently back up, and hit low, spinning checks. I tend to prefer to play my shots in front of the hole, and play for more roll-out on my chips and pitches anyway, so I really don't think I've lost much. If you like to play past the hole, it's probably not the ball for you ...

FWIW, this ball WILL stop nice on flops. Anything hit high seems to stop dead for me, even in firm conditions like we have now.

Give it a try, you might be surprised (like me!). If not, it's a pretty cheap experiment ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit I have been a top $ ball player for sometime. You know the ProV's and what not. No real reason other than they are typically great balls but not cheap. I never bothered to find a less expensive ball to try and compare or anything like that, until I was asked to be the clean up hitter for a group in their 4 man best ball tourney. I knew I would be going after every drive with authority so I wanted a good ball that wasn't so painful to knock OB straight out of the sleeve!

I picked up a box of NXT's and the Gamer V2's after reading this very topic and honestly can not believe the performance I got from the Gamers! Just amazing! Driving distance, accuracy, greenside, putting! It just works perfect for me, I literally went after the ball on every drive which typically will mean 2 or 3 OB balls for the day. I used the same Top Flight Gamer V2 #2 w/black dot after the 2 for the entire round. Needless to say the NXT's were panhandled to one of the guys in the foursome :)

Went back yesterday to Target and stocked up with 2 more boxes of em! I can tell you that every ball I have ever found in the thick stuff or OB that came up and read "Top-Flight" I have either left on that side of the stakes or kept it and used it in my next range session basket. This is my official apology to Callaway and Top-Flight for ever doubting... I'm Sorry.

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

played pro v1 392 today and a gamer v2. obviously not the same type ball, but i enjoyed playing both. the gamer v2 spun just fine. when my chipping is on i get a stop. no one hop and stop, just a land and stop. the pro v1 spun back about 3''. yes, inches. and the gamer rolled forward about 6''

i can live with either result, honestly. that distance wont cost me any strokes. off the driver, they actually felt similar to me. not sure which went further.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Hey,
[left]I am always playing ProV1's but accidently my bag got hit by a ball and that was a TopFlite Gamer V2. Ugly looking thing but the guy gave it to me and I'll accepted it and played with it a couple of holes and noticed some things. [/left][left]
[/left][left]Great feel and long off driver[/left][left]Not as soft as the ProV1 off irons or wedges[/left][left]More durable[/left][left]Lack of spin compared to ProV1 which I deeply love[/left][left]
[/left][left]
[/left][left]Ok, ball. I would rather play it than a NXT-Tour lol. -.-[/left]