The Search Is Over. Gamer V2

pd570

Gave this ball a shot today, got some great results!

About me:
5'11" 140lbs
115-120 Driver SS
Strengths- Tee Shots, Irons
Weaknesses- 30 yards in
Handicap- Dont have one, play sand greens too much.

I found this ball to preform very well. Stopping power on irons and wedges was there for the most part. I held a green with a 6I from 187 yards with this, with 0" rollout. I am a high spin player as it is and have found problems with balls such as the Cally Tour i(s) and ix, mainly spinning them back off the green. With the Gamer V2 it would just stop. There was one case where the ball landed 3" in front of the hole, took an odd bounce (probably from the divot on the green) and rolled 5' away, nothing major. I spin this ball easily from both the fairway and surprisingly the rough too... Putting was butter off my TM Rossa Daytona with AGSI+. Durability is crazy good! Played 18 with it and if you wash off the grass/sharpie marks it could almost pass for new...

The thing that makes this ball $20 is the poor performance on chips... You can easily tell the difference from it and a Pro V1, Penta, ix, etc. But on the other hand, you are saving $25/doz by getting the Gamer V2s.

All in all, its worth a shot. Out-preformed what I expected (You WILL get some funny looks at first :)). At $20/doz you cant go wrong.

On another note, I was demolishing my drives today, so much so that my sharpie mark on the ball transfered over to the face of my TM Burner driver lol

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Robbky40' date='09 July 2010 - 10:18 AM' timestamp='1278688726' post='2564717']
Hey thank you for this post. I can't wait to try them. I love the TM Penta but it kills me when I lose one or scuff it up. I have been searching for a cheaper ball to use. Like you I have tried almost everything. Off to Wally world after work is done.
[/quote]

Okay I have played many rounds with this ball. It is a great bargain for what you get. Plenty long off the tee and I like the 1 hop and stop. This is not a rock at all. I shot a 32 last week on the front nine. Good ball and I will buy more.

My favorite ball of the past 2 years has been by far the TP/RED-LDP. I have run out of these and have been looking around before going back to the PRO V1. I bouhgt the box with the extra sleeve for $20 and thought no real loss here. The ball has that heavy feel that you get with the Prov or TP/Red, which I know has more to do with sound than anything. This ball is very long off the tee and spot on with my regular iron yardages. The ball launchs high but seems not to spin to much off the driver. It seems to hit, bounce, and stop off most iron shots. Around the greens as many have already stated they are better than a D2 feel but below the premium balls. They also felt excelent off the putter. For the price this ball will shine if you are already a high spin player. If you are a player that does not play many shots that require that bounce, bite action, then this is a perfect ball for you. This ball should not be assigned to certain HCP's but more to the game you play. Even if you are low HCP player but play more of a bump and run game around the greens and rely more on height for stopping delicate shots, this is your ball. For the money, this ball should be tried once, by everyone.

The Gamer V2 is a very good ball. Soft and long off the tee with no ballooning. Irons seem nearly one club longer than premium balls, but that's an easy adjustment to make. For me, it's generally a one hop and stop (no big roll out), and this fits my game. Around the green, it has performed as well as many premium balls.

I bought 15 balls for $20. That price is unreal considering the performance this ball yields. I think the Gamer V2 performs similar to, and generally better, than the B330RX/S, and this at half the price.

One small point, though. Top Flite did not spend much on markings and logo for this ball. I would say that this ball falls into the ugly category. But this ugly ball matches up well with my ugly Ping irons. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='yichen382' timestamp='1281031101' post='2620544']
Is the V2 a low-compression ball (like NXT Extreme), or a mid-low-compression ball (like NXT Tour), or mid-compression ball (like ProV1)? I have head the V2 has the same core as the Callaway Diablo. If that's case, it would be very low compression. Diablo has the lowest compression among all budge balls.
[/quote]

The golfballtest.org data (see link below) indicates that the compression (Atti avg.) of the Diablo (09) is 66 versus 95 for the Gamer (08). I doubt that the Gamer V2 is much different.

http://www.golfballselector.com/pdf/GBS_CompressionHardness_Test_010810_v5.10.pdf

I stole a sleeve from my bro a while back and compared to the B'stone E5 I was playing then: Similar off the tee. Both have good distances. Pitch shots from 60-20yrds, both have very similar spin. For my chip shots, I tend to take more of a steeper path towards the ball, and the E5's grab the greens on the first hop compared to the V2's. The V2's seem to play better in the wind. E5's felt softer off the putter.

The price points were the same too at ~$25/dz. Can't go wrong with either imo.

I recently played my last dozen of E5's and Golftown had the V2's on clearance for $15/dz. Picked up 2 dozen and I'm set for a while. But a buddy of mine also gave me 4 dozen of the TM TP Red LDP's and that's being played for most rounds right now.

Finally got to game a V2 tonight, and please note that I did love the first iterationof the Gamer except for its noted lack of durability.

Can't say I liked the V2 very much.

Found it to be much harder than the V1, and it lacked the springy "boom" factor off the driver and irons. The ball also spun way (and I mean WAY) less than the V1.

To compare it to another ball, it reminded me of the e5+. Durability was improved, and spin was reduced, yet feel was sadly lacking.

For comparison, I also played a '09 Zip as well (another ball I wanted to try). Let's just say I may stock up on Zips while they're stil available (or start buying its replacement the C:25). The spin, feel and playability of the Zip put the V2 to shame. With a 9i from 110, the Zip hopped and stopped, something I was unable to get the V2 to do.

Sorry Top Flite - I like and defend your balls, but this one fell way short of the mark.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='turnbowm' timestamp='1281048788' post='2621238']

The golfballtest.org data (see link below) indicates that the compression (Atti avg.) of the Diablo (09) is 66 versus 95 for the Gamer (08). I doubt that the Gamer V2 is much different.

[url="http://www.golfballselector.com/pdf/GBS_CompressionHardness_Test_010810_v5.10.pdf"]http://www.golfballs...10810_v5.10.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

Does Game V2 have lower or higher compression than Gamer(08)? Is the V2 good for 85mph driver speed? Thanks.

i have been playing a sleeve of these for a round or two. I have found them to be pretty long off of my driver (every bit as long as the callaway tour i(s)) I hit them on the same trajectory as the cally's also. They seem similar in distance off of my irons but may be roughly 5 yards longer but they don't spin nearly as much as the i(s). Despite that, I still find them very controllable. I can't get the check I get with the i(s) off of chips but they still spin fine for pitching and full shots with the ball stopping very close to the divot. I don't think you can beat them at the price point.

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1273124356' post='2424477']
I picked up a dozen at Target for 13.99. Can't lose, why not for that price right?

I usually play premium balls. Played last weekend with the V2 and love the feel. Was long off the driver, very long but spin around the greens was lacking. Was expecting that so it wasn't that big a deal. Durability is great and obviously I love the fact if I lose one I don't give a you-know-what.

The thing that surprised me was my iron shot approaches. I airmailed 4 greens and I hardly ever airmail greens because my massive ego won't allow me to swing and take the right club like I should. IOW's I always take less club and think I can still get it there, like a tour pro, and 1000% of the time I end up short. I know, I've got a thick skull.

But, 3rd hole, 135 yds out, take my 9 iron out and swing. I think I'm all over the pin. But the ball goes 15yds over the green. Holy s**tballs. Ok fine. Whatever. The 6th hole. 150 yds out, take out my 7 iron and the ball goes 20 yds left-ish over the green. Alllllllll Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighty thennnnnnn!!! 9th hole, 120yds out, take out my 9 iron, shot plays uphill and into a slight breeze, ball goes 15 yds over the green. Now I'm pissed. I don't know what the heck is going on. Back 9, I've got 111 yds out, take out my 62* wedge ( I normally would hit pitching wedge but I just want to see what happens, hopefully ball ends up way short.) I swing and the ball goes over the green. Holy Hymen I just cannot believe that I hit a 62* wedge 125yds over the green.

These balls absolutely baffle me. Love everything about them but I can't control them with my irons. They're like superballs. Springy and they just jump off the irons. Does anyone else feel this way? Just me? I have a complex now... :crazy:
[/quote]

Sharkies,

Didnt you ever think on that 6th hole (if I just hit this NEW BALL 150 with my 9 iron, maybe I should hit my 9 iron FROM 150?

Sounds like you are poor at adjusting ON COURSE to adversity.

Haven't you ever gotten an adrenaline rush after a birdie and clubbed down on the next tee/approach shot knowing you were gonna flush it and long is bad?

Course management dood, its how you shoot in the 70's

JC

After reading this post and also running out of tp reds, I went and bought a dozen of the gamers. Also a Cleavland rep gave me a sleave of Srixon z star to try out. So I thought I'll do a comparison between the tp reds, z star, and the gamer v2. I know the the gamer is in a different catagory then the tp reds and z stars.
Distance off the drivers were about the same for the tp reds and z star....the gamer was about 5 yards longer.
Long iron shots seem like all the balls were about the same length. For some reason, the gamer was a little longer in the mid and short irons.
The z star I thought spawn the most, follow by the tp reds....I couldnt really spin the gamers very well. The greens were firm and the gamer just ran out while both the z star and the reds one hopped and stoped. Only way I could stop the gamer was by bringing it in high.
The gamer and the tp reds are amazing off the putter head, nice and soft, while the z star was clicky and I didn't like the feel of it coming off my cameron putter.
Gamer is a nice ball for the price but it didnt really suit my short game since I don't play alot of chip and run shots.
All three balls felt amazing coming off my mizuno irons.
The gamer is a really nice ball for the price range and I like it better then the nxt tour or srixon tri speed.
Top flight has a winner with this ball :beruo:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I gave the Gamer V2 a try today, having bought 15 for $20. Can't badmouth the price, especially for a decent golf ball.

I am a senior golfer. Driver is about 240 lately with the benefit of autumn bounce and roll. 6 iron about 145 - 150. I have trouble keeping my irons and wedges on the green if they actually do hit the green. HI was 9.8 on last revision (8/25/10).

Last week I played some ProV1x's and was impressed with three things:
1) I actually hit them pretty much as far and as straight as some of the distance rocks I often use.
2) My irons and wedges tended to take one hop, then pretty much stop (very impressive).
3) pretty darn durable cover given my sharp grooves.
and 4), the price of these things is outrageous.

The Gamer:
1) distance off the tee is very good
2) My wedges and irons don't run out as much as they would for a real distance ball.
3) But my wedges and irons do run out more than I would like.
4) My wedges do take streamers of plastic off the surface of the Gamers.
5) Feel off the driver is pretty good, not at all like a distance rock.
6) Cost is good, but is it the right ball for me?

I think the Gamer is pretty good. But I guess what I am looking for is a cheap ProV1x. Maybe I need to look at one of the found ball web sites.

Any suggestions from the readership here on what I should try based on the above?

• 2 weeks later...

Im a competitive golfer

I wouldn't use gamers as my tournament ball but I did use them for one city championship this year, that was just pouring rain and early in the season, to be honest was too rusty to even consider putting a real ball in play. In the qualifier I ended up placing 4th in the harsh conditions with the gamer ( kind of funny, because playing partners were like I still can't believe your playing a TOPFLITE LOL).

so it would make a great winter ball.

but just like everyone else its not a premium ball So I dont expect to have the bite and spin as a urethane ball around the greens, which also is good as it helps me hone my bump and run skills, and hitting flop shots to get the ball to stop with height then rely on spin...

on that note... since im also starving college student i keep a dozen of gamers, for rounds that are for fun (friends,family, or just going out on a weekend to play with hacks :P)

bang for buck thats for sure!

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

[quote name='eyeguy' timestamp='1278627236' post='2563410']
Any single digit HC using this ball? If so, opinions?
[/quote]

I normally play the Prov1x and played the Gamer last weekend on a course with soft greens. The ball comes off the tee hot! I had to club down on my approach shots ( lesson learned after hitting my approach long on the first hole) The ball had no problems zipping back 4-6 feet on approaches from 125-150. Around the greens the ball checks up real good. My only deal was I didn't quite like the way the ball felt off the putter. If I stop getting my ProV1x for free, I'd buy the Gamer!

just played 9 with the gamer v2 yesterday. very pleased with the performance and durability. granted i only played 8 holes with one ball cause i snap hooked my tee shot on the second into the trees. but then again, i smiled knowing i just shot $1 or so into the woods instead of $4. so yeah, i got that going for me.

partytime2.gif

I will ditto this thread. I played 72 holes this weekend with the Gamer and I am very impressed. I have found the ball for me. Very receptive around the greens, long off the tee and feels nice from the putter face. My only gripe would be that they shred pretty easily but for the price you pay its easily affordable. Never again will I pay over $20 for a dozen balls.

Well after reading some posts here I decided to give the Gamer V2 a shot.

My handicap bounces from 1 to 2 and I usually Play B330 or Calli Iz, and sometimes Pro V1x. I spin V1's off the planet, so I generate plenty of spin in that regard.

The most important thing I want in a ball is find it sitting right next to its ball mark. Pretty easy to deal with yardage that way! I hate spinning balls off the front of a green. I need plenty of greenside spin, but also control for runners. Once I stopped trying to fly every chip right near the hole and needed massive bite to hit a good shot, my handicap when downnnn near scratch. I play more consistent runners when available and use as much of the green as I can when I can.

Started the front with my trusty B330's and shot a nice 35. Put the Gamer V2 in play on 10 and followed up with a 34 on the back. Very solid round! The V2 did everything I asked it to, ball spun much better than I expected especially after comments made in this thread. Found it near most ball marks. Was within 3 feet with a 6-iron and within a few inches with Lob through 7 iron for me. Pretty long off the tee as well.

Pretty amazed at its durability as well. After 9 holes, its hard to tell this ball is not new. There are virtually no marks on it. :fool: I hit some hard lob and sand wedge shots that should have marked the ball up. Some people have complained about the cover durability, but after my first 9 holes with it, its as good as anything I have played concerning durability.

Since I've been playing Iz's and B330 I'm used to a very hard ball. The biggest adjustment for me was off the putter as the Gamer feels like an old ballata ball to me, very rubbery. Rolled great off the putter but I do feel like I have to putt a little harder with it as it comes off the putter slower than what I am used to with harder balls.

Cons - My son has threatened to never play with me again if I keep playing with a TopFlight ball. (peer pressure :ok:)
- Cant really think of any yet, more testing will reveal things.

Pros - Price
- Spins the perfect amount for me off the driver and irons. (need to play more with it to really get a good handle on chipping and pitching, so far so good thus far)
- Durability
- Shallow dimples should be great for a wind ball.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

After reading this thread, I had to try this ball. I'm glad I did. This ball is certainly worth 19.99.

I measured by GPS 6 drives over 300 and all others 275+, so distance is not a problem. Initially, I was hesitant about the greenside spin... I was tested on the third hole and did not trust the Gamer yet, so I played a stupid shot after shortsiding myself. After a few holes, I saw the stopping ability of this ball and began to trust it greenside and it was great. One of my shortcomings is overspinning the ball (prov1, tps, etc) and not getting a little roll out to the hole, leaving longer putts... just a flaw of mine. The Gamer has enough spin to stop, but will also give a nice little roll out on pitches and chips. Full iron shots truly did drop and stop... even backed a few up a little. The Gamer feels great off the driver and irons. It seems to be very responsive. I was also able to work the ball left and right and control high and low shots. Overall I would give this ball and A and I will most definitely be playing this ball again. I would love to find some on sale... anybody know of any Gamers on sale anywhere?

Some good prices on Gamer here:

http://www.golfballsdirect.com/AAAAA_Top_Flite_Gamer_used_golf_balls_p/608-gstrl12tfgamer.htm

It's actually a mix of the original and V2's. Bought a few dozen last week when they were on sale for $5.99 (sorry, forgot to tell you guys).

Anyway, condition is new as far as I can tell, and it seemed there were more V2's than originals.

Also, you can use "ebay20" for 20% off your first order.

Enjoy!

[quote name='tommyjtipton' timestamp='1286066275' post='2725242']
After reading this thread, I had to try this ball. I'm glad I did. This ball is certainly worth 19.99.

I measured by GPS 6 drives over 300 and all others 275+, so distance is not a problem. Initially, I was hesitant about the greenside spin... I was tested on the third hole and did not trust the Gamer yet, so I played a stupid shot after shortsiding myself. After a few holes, I saw the stopping ability of this ball and began to trust it greenside and it was great. One of my shortcomings is overspinning the ball (prov1, tps, etc) and not getting a little roll out to the hole, leaving longer putts... just a flaw of mine. The Gamer has enough spin to stop, but will also give a nice little roll out on pitches and chips. Full iron shots truly did drop and stop... even backed a few up a little. The Gamer feels great off the driver and irons. It seems to be very responsive. I was also able to work the ball left and right and control high and low shots. Overall I would give this ball and A and I will most definitely be playing this ball again. I would love to find some on sale... anybody know of any Gamers on sale anywhere?
[/quote]

I haven't played these yet but can't wait to give them a go. I was under the impression they could be had at Target for less than $15. That was not the case at the Target I went to yesterday. They were $19.99 so I passed them up. Headed over to Sports Authority, where they had them for the same price as Target but it was 15 ball pack. Free sleeve deal. Grabbed one and hope to play the ball this coming weekend.

I was not sold on the Gamers when I first tried them but I ran out out of my Bridgestone b-330 rx's and gave the V2 another chance in the last couple of rounds. I might be making a permanent switch to the V2's! I have not seen a whole lot of difference in the feel, spin and distance between the two, so why should I pay more? The only issue I have seen with the Gamers(and the b330-rx) is the spin on hard greens compared to a Prov1(or other premium ball). I have a stash of premium balls I can use if the greens are hard but for most rounds the Gamer will work just fine. I just got a $50 gift card for Dicks for my birthday so I am hoping they go on sale soon!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro