Scotty Head Covers

Sorry, I just don't get it?
Hi Guys,

In trolling eBay and the BST forum, I see a lot of Scotty Cameron headcovers for sale. Some look really cool, like the Kool-Aid ones. My question is, why do these cost so much $$$$$?

As someone who's golf budget is closely monitored by my DW, I can't picture her (and really can't picture myself) letting me spend that kind of coin on a luxury item. And it is a cover?!? You can't even hit a ball with it!

Any help on this one guys? Just trying to understand what the collector sees in these.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shows how much I know.

Mind you I have a stock headcover on my Mizuno Bettinardi, and a Daffy Duck Looney Tunes one I bought for $11.99 at Golf Town on my Slotline.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I've always found it interesting that the covers sell for so much as well. I guess everyone has to collect something. I have a generic knit cover on my SC. I don't really want to advertise what is under it if you know what I mean.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash 11 Wood 25* - PX Evenflow S

Taylormade  Gloire U4(20*) & U5(23*) Utility Irons JDM - NIppon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

limited release covers, the less there are the most coveted they become, i.e. supply and demand

why do people collect cars or baseball cards, because they can and want to.

and what makes up a collection? having more than 1 cover? i don;t consider myself a collector, but i do have 4-5 SC covers, a couple of OTRs (AOP and Titleist script) and some limited (skull and bones and 2009 cinco), but i know of people that have 10-20 or more and some pretty rare ones.

it all comes down to rarity and preference

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Why do women have 50 different purses? Why do golfers buy tons of different color belts? Why in the world were beanie babies ever popular? Same thing, some of the covers are good looking and some aren't, some people like to spend their money on them and some don't...such is life I guess.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I might add that most of the covers sold are NEVER seen on the bag. It says "STEAL ME", bright and clear. So, most end up in your den/basement, and as with most collectibles, you don't want to get caught at the end of the popularity/collectible cycle. (Trust me....I've been there....more than a few times....). And I think we are approaching it on the headcovers. Cameron covers don't putt the ball. And, really, Cameron putters are not in control, either. YOU are. After many years of playing (40+), I can tell you that you can hand a player who is a really good putter, any piece of crap putter you want....give him 15 minutes on the putting green, and he will have fewer putts than you on any given day. But each of us has his weaknesses.....golf collectibles are one of them, and I'm guilty, too.

I have about 10 head covers. None of them are particularly rare or collectible. I think my best is a 1 of 100 and then a 1 of 500.

Sometimes you just like a certain cover, I guess.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

[quote name='alittleoverpar' date='04 May 2010 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1273008217' post='2421034']
I have a generic knit cover on my SC. I don't really want to advertise what is under it if you know what I mean.
[/quote]
I had a JDM Mizuno cover on my Bettinardi for the same exact reason. No sense making it obvious to people that I have a $300 putter. Might as well have a big neon sign on it that says, "STEAL ME".

To me, it's exactly like the Beanie Baby craze in the 90's. They're cute, bright colors, seemingly limited supply - so people are willing to spend money because the market has supported the high prices and they assume by holding them for a while the price will go up even higher.

The thing is, it's a really fragile market. Look at Beanie Babies now – not too hot of a market. I know to people immersed in the mania there's just no comparison - of course the market for Cameron's cover will only continue to rise. But really, the company's only been making headcovers for something like 15 years. My feeling is someone else will come along and be the next hot thing, they'll make something more desirable than the Scotty's and the SC market will fizzle away.

I'll readily admit, they are kind of fun. I just wouldn't be planning my retirement around a hot stash of headcovers.

[quote name='GoBucky' date='04 May 2010 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1273020101' post='2421443']
[quote name='alittleoverpar' date='04 May 2010 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1273008217' post='2421034']
I have a generic knit cover on my SC. I don't really want to advertise what is under it if you know what I mean.
[/quote]
I had a JDM Mizuno cover on my Bettinardi for the same exact reason. No sense making it obvious to people that I have a $300 putter. Might as well have a big neon sign on it that says, "STEAL ME".
[/quote]

I never really got this, do you just leave your bag sitting around or what? Where do you play that people would just walk up and take your putter?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='Dizzub' date='04 May 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1273020680' post='2421473']
[quote name='GoBucky' date='04 May 2010 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1273020101' post='2421443']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I never really got this, do you just leave your bag sitting around or what? Where do you play that people would just walk up and take your putter?
[/quote]

I have not had anything stolen personally, but I have friends who have left their bags to run into the clubhouse and have had clubs disappear. I always figure better safe that sorry. It's unfortunate, but there are people out there who will steal anything.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash 11 Wood 25* - PX Evenflow S

Taylormade  Gloire U4(20*) & U5(23*) Utility Irons JDM - NIppon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

[quote name='Dizzub' date='04 May 2010 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1273020680' post='2421473']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I've never had a thing stolen, but there are tons of horror stories, even on here. I remember one from a few months back where a member here had his entire bag stolen at the bag drop at a pretty exclusive course. The course took no responsibility, and if memory serves he had several thousand dollars worth of equipment in it.

I've seen friends have clubs stolen from their bags at the putting green. We'd putt and their driver or wedge would be gone. And that's right beside the puttinggreen.

Theives are everywhere. A member a few days ago posted about his wedge getting gone at a demo day. It happens often.

I have four Cameron covers now. I don't care for the studio select silver with red dots line of covers, so I got a couple others to use on my putters. I don't collect them. I use them and just like the way they fit.

One thing about the SSL putter covers. I was practicing the other day on the putting green and had my two Cameron's with the SSL silver and red dot covers. Well, the pro at this course raced out of the clubhouse from 100 yards away and grabbed a putter out of my bag. He started doing some practice swings and said, "I saw you had some Cameron's. What did you pay for them?"

Now, I'm not going to get into how rude it is for someone to grab a club out of your bag without asking, or then asking what you paid for it, especially when I didn't really know this guy. My point is that people can tell a Cameron putter, cover whatever from a long ways away and you need to be careful. Don't let your clubs out of your sight or else do what I do. I use my golf bag rainhood cover and zip it up so people can't see what's in my bag when I go inside the clubhouse etc.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

Simple. Supply & Demand

Scotty has such a huge following and a lot of the followers seem to have tons of disposable income allowing them to buy as many headcovers and scotty can spit out. Heck, I recall a 1/1 masters cover that went for over $6k recently!!

I have about 8 covers, but I love these and had to search high and low to get them. I don't just collect to collect.

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' date='04 May 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1273020150' post='2421445']
To me, it's exactly like the Beanie Baby craze in the 90's. They're cute, bright colors, seemingly limited supply - so people are willing to spend money because the market has supported the high prices and they assume by holding them for a while the price will go up even higher.

The thing is, it's a really fragile market. Look at Beanie Babies now – not too hot of a market. I know to people immersed in the mania there's just no comparison - of course the market for Cameron's cover will only continue to rise. But really, the company's only been making headcovers for something like 15 years. My feeling is someone else will come along and be the next hot thing, they'll make something more desirable than the Scotty's and the SC market will fizzle away.

I'll readily admit, they are kind of fun. I just wouldn't be planning my retirement around a hot stash of headcovers.
[/quote]
Exactly, Cameron is just putting his own little flair on classic putter designs that have been around for decades. Eventually, some other putter designer will get really popular and Cameron will end up just like T.P. Mills and other great puttermakers (a once great putter designer who faded away into obscurity).

[quote name='6keith' date='06 May 2010 - 10:29 AM' timestamp='1273156164' post='2424898']
IF you don't get it you never will. His following is huge and some just cannot get enough. Take a look at Cameron Collector.com and you will see where the market for his items really is.
[/quote]

Obviously there is a big market for his stuff.

But there was an even larger market for Beanie Babys in the 90's. People were paying hundreds of dollars for those little buggers. Now? No market at all. I am pretty sure all of those folks believed that the Beanie mania would last for years. I'm fairly positive that the people paying $500 for the "rare" "one of five" "commemorative" Beanies were in the back of their head figuring, "I can spend the money on this one because if I ever am in financial straights, I can always sell it for a profit" while at the same time telling their friends who thought they were nuts "I spent the money on it because it's meaningful to me and they're very special."

I don't disagree at all that SC has put out a few very cool covers. But I am hard-pressed to envision a $5,000 putter cover holding it's value 20 years from now. I could see one of their putters that has a historic provenance holding that kind of value. But a bunch of easily duplicated, crooked embroidery on a piece of vinyl - not so much. SC is probably at the peak of it's popularity, perhaps just past it. In ten years, they may or may not be a market leader, personally I think you can only go so far making pretty, dressed-up versions of other people's designs. I expect that some small company with revolutionary thinking and original designs will like supplant them as the "most desired".

Very interesting insight folks.

Think I nailed why this confuses me. Some collectibles (i.e. cars) have an ihnerent value as a useable vehicle as well as a collectors item. Even collectible clubs can be taken out and hit. But the putter cover is still a putter cover.

Jimmie Mac, interesting comparison to Beanie Babies.

And yes, if people enjoy collecting them, good, and I'm glad they have a hobby they enjoy. Mind you, if I had a collection, this would seem like a good time to consider selling them (up market).

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I bought two nice ones for around 100 ea

one is the British flags Scotty Dog .. my Dad is a Brit

the other is the Hawaii 07 ... i went there for my 40th

I use these in my bag but only at my home track

Ping G430 10k 10.5* Diamana ZF 60x

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

[quote name='GoBucky' date='04 May 2010 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1273020101' post='2421443']
[/quote]
[/quote]

It's funny because I've been looking for something else to put on my SC to replace my lime green custom shop cover because I didn't want to beat it to death. I was looking at other Cameron covers but you bring up a great point here. I'll probably just look to get something that does the job and has a little character to it...and won't advertise what's under the hood.

WITB 2/3/16:
Driver - Golf club
3 & 5 Wood - Clubs
Irons - More Golf clubs
Wedges - Knives
Putter - wrench

• 4 years later...

I just bought my first Scotty Circa 61 nr 1 from a retired golfer, and part of the deal where 7 scotty headcovers. Can't wait to game it ! As i i'm new to the phenomenom SC i did some research and found out that a) on SC homesite you find most HC's b) prices differ on Ebay based on preference and production numbers.

Is it possible to look up these production numbers?

However there was one headcover i couldnot find at all. I called back, and the seller informed me this one was very rare - only 25 produced. It is called The Cameron Convention Europe. Does anybody know this one and should i keep it?

btw this is my first posting

[quote name='sandenm' timestamp='1412861813' post='10259741']
I just bought my first Scotty Circa 61 nr 1 from a retired golfer, and part of the deal where 7 scotty headcovers. Can't wait to game it ! As i i'm new to the phenomenom SC i did some research and found out that a) on SC homesite you find most HC's b) prices differ on Ebay based on preference and production numbers.

Is it possible to look up these production numbers?

However there was one headcover i couldnot find at all. I called back, and the seller informed me this one was very rare - only 25 produced. It is called The Cameron Convention Europe. Does anybody know this one and should i keep it?

btw this is my first posting
[/quote]

Post pics of the 7 covers you got and especially the Euro cover.

Keep in mind the prices you see listed on eBay are seldom what they really sell for. There is 1 particular headcover I would like to buy. When I look through sales history they go for around $60-$70. But after watching for a couple months the same sellers just keep relisting the cover I want for $120-$150. No takers.
Very frustrating, I am willing to pay market price but these fisherman are just wasting my time and their own time listing at these inflated prices that no one will touch.