Two more AZ privates on GolfNow

teejaywhy

Was just looking at GolfNow and see that two more Arizona private courses are now available for public play.

Red Mountain Ranch - Mesa

(1987 - Pete Dye)

Played this one several times when it first opened before going private. A very fun, quirky layout with mostly target golf and some wild greens. Not something I would want a steady diet of, but worth a visit IMHO.

Hassayampa Golf Club - Prescott

(1997 - Tom Weiskopf)

I have no info about this course, but Prescott is quickly becoming a great summer getaway golf destination with the addition of this course.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hassayampa is a great course. Was a member for 6 years. Left do to $$ increase was $380.00/mo when joined now almost $700.00 + $17.00 for cart... Still, course is always in great shape and is mostly hidden from the wind being nestled in between the hills... Some beautiful views as well... Can't go wrong with the new guest for a day at $60.00 includes golf, cart, range and lunch... When temps reach 100 in Phx they are still in 80's here... If you make it to Hassayampa you'll enjoy it.....

I actually love Red Mountain Ranch....great practice facility. Greens are very good. I enjoy the layout.

I played this all winter for $45-55 while all the other course around the valley of equivalent nature were charging 3-4x as much.

Glad to see Hassayampa on there now...I was going to do the stay and play because previously that was the way to get on....I will be defo making a trip up there.

When I was up at the RIM(now open too), the pro said that Torreon up in Show Low is going to open to public play this summer. Flagstaff Ranch is open now too.

Did you see the Superstition Mountain offer...membership over the summer for $635(or $685) per month.

Prescott Lakes is now going to be 50% owned by the HomeOwners and 50% by Arnold Palmer golf....they have been closed for the last few months and will stay closed another month or 2. They have kept the course in shape though and when it opens up it should be in great shape.

Played Flagstaff ranch several times, not a big fan but the price was right Free...

I took my son out to the Prescott Lakes before it closed just in case it stayed that way... Great course, however to enjoy it you have to be a fairly good stick.. Just drove by it yesterday and it does look in great shape.

Another course up here is Stone Ridge... it's a hate it or love it course... A lot of target but the rewards for risk are great... makes it a lot of fun to play a skins game...

[quote name='tjy355' date='11 May 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1273621108' post='2435689']
[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='11 May 2010 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1273599945' post='2434924']
I actually love Red Mountain Ranch....great practice facility.
[/quote]

Rumor has it that they have sold off the property that contains the driving range and it will be developed.
[/quote]

Ugh...that would suck! But I could see it....probably get 4-6 houses in the driving range.

Stoneridge was freaking wacky as hell. Nice 100 yard yardage gaps from the tips the the next set of tee boxes on the par 3's.

I think I'll check out that Red Mountain Ranch

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' date='12 May 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1273725613' post='2438671']
Stoneridge was freaking wacky as hell. Nice 100 yard yardage gaps from the tips the the next set of tee boxes on the par 3's.

I think I'll check out that Red Mountain Ranch
[/quote]

Hey Dude, I hear good things about Red Mountain Ranch. It's a Pete Dye design with good greens. The only draw back is that the earliest tee times for the public start at 10:30. Give us a report...

As I said Stone Ridge is a love it or hate it course... There's around 17 guys who play in our weekly game and half absoultly hate Stone Ridge...

Next time your up the Precott Country Club is in good shape, new owner this year and Antelope is also coming around... PCC is a semi-private and AHGC is a muni that holds the state ameture each year...

Best course to play here is Talking Rock, always in great shape, then Hassyampa and then the Prescott Lakes which is opening next month.... As I said with the Lakes you need to be a fairly good stick and in good shape even with a cart as there are a lot of up and down hills....

We played PCC as well. Fun little course but play was S-L-O-W. We had a group of hacks ahead of us paying the blue tees, barely clearing the red tees. No joke. Really want to play talking rock and would love to play the lakes!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

• 2 weeks later...

I love Hassayampa - I've been fortunate enough to play it several times and always enjoy it. $60 is a steal for that course. I'm definitely going to make it up there at least once this summer.

I like StoneRidge up there too, but it's a mess the first time through. Sooo many blind shots. It's kinda goofy, but once you play it the second time, it's a little easier. The holes are fun enough, though, that I actually didn't mind all the blind shots. I got an email special for $35 all May, but I don't know what the rates will be for the rest of summer. A Hassayampa/StoneRidge overnight trip (with a visit to Whiskey Row) will have to happen this summer.

Seven Canyons in Sedona is on Golfnow for about $110, too. I played it right after they opened and people were calling it "The Pebble Beach of the desert" and stuff like that due to the views. I don't want to say I was disappointed because it is a great course, but there were too many boring, straightaway par 4s. They have a stretch of holes in the middle of the course that are out-of-this-world, but the rest of the course is an average layout but with great views. I suppose it's worth a $110 splurge to play it once, though, if you have the cash.

I'm not a huge fan of Red Mountain CC. The holes are tight, some tough doglegs that don't give you room to do much, and overall an odd layout.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='28 May 2010 - 08:09 AM' timestamp='1275059340' post='2472848']
Seven Canyons and Hassayampa are on Golfnow, but both are in Aeration. $115 to play a course in aeration...no thanks!

Hopefully they will keep them on the site...but it may be just a way to try and get money during aeration.
[/quote]

They were both on GolfNow several weeks ago before they aerated. I'm sure this is more about their clubs struggling for cash than just making money during aeration.