2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pinehurst Area Golf Trip Question

Claypool4Prez

I am going to be in the Pinehurst area around mid August with my father for a 3 day golf trip. So far we are playing Legacy and CCNC. I was hoping someone could recommend a somewhat affordable track for our 3rd round. Im thinking no more than $70. And just to give him a little plug, I set the trip up through Greg Austin at AME Golf. He and his folks have been great and really quick to respond to questions. And if that sounds familiar its because I was just there with the same group that posted the topic Pinehurst/NCSandhills Feedback. Two possibilites I have heard about are Hyland Hills or Foxfire. If someone has better options I would love to hear them. Thanks.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just there this past weekend. From what I saw of Hyland Hills it looked in pretty rough shape. I didn't play it just saw from the road. A great deal is Southern Pines Country Club, if you join there frequent player club (no cost) rounds are like $50. It is as an original Donald Ross style course and was in very good shape this past weekend.

Also Legacy is pretty nice and might be near that range.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Highland Hills just lost most of their greens. If you decide to play Tobacco Road change your package to Tobacco Road travels. Nobody can beat their prices when you include their course in the package. I used to use AME but now go thru Tobacco Road and the price wasn't even close. If you don't like Tobacco Road try Talamore, Mid-Pines, Mid-South, or Little River. The Carolina is a lower price course with an ok layout, haven't played there in about 5-6 years. A lot of people here don't like it because the greens are crazy.

Dont know much about Tot Farm but I have heard Tobacco Road is beautiful but like you said, its target golf. Not sure if thats what we want. I will check out Tot Farm for sure though . Thanks.

Appreciate the heads up on Hyland Hills. I am actually from NC but am living in Maryland now so its not possible for me to check any of the courses out before I make my tee time. I played Southern Pines on my trip down in April. It was a really fun track. It was in great shape as well. I actually played Legacy and enjoyed it so much that its one of the two courses we are playing for sure. Along with CCNC.

Mayboy, I was lucky enough to play mid-pines in April. Probably the nicest course I have ever played. Not easy but it was picture perfect! Talamore is another one I am considering. I have heard great things. I havent heard too many good things about the Carolina. But I never heard why people dont like it. Maybe the greens are the reason. I take it they are nice but just impossible?

Tobacco Road is different and everyone needs to play it at least once. You will either love it or hate it, seems like there is no in between. Not as much target golf as people say. It is very wide open just can't tell it from the tee box. Widest fairways you will ever play. The greens are what make it so tough. If you hit your irons well and hit the right tier it is not a hard course. Tot Hill is very similar but is about a 45 minute drive. If you don't mind a little drive Anderson Creek is a decent course and doesn't cost much. Think it's about 30 minutes.

Clay..my name is a misnomer..I actually live in Maryland now as well, moved up for NC about 18 years ago, but it will always be home to me.

I agree with what Chaz said about Tobacco Road, I've never considered it Target golf, as he said the fairways are the biggest you will ever find. What gets most people is there is no rough to speak of, you go from Fairways to waste area pretty much.

There are some blind shots to greens but if you keep the ball in play off the tee and hit your irons half way decently, you should score OK.

I LOVE LOVE Anderson Creek...it is about a 30 to 40 minute drive from Pinehurst but well worth it. Fantatic layout..one of the best price values you will find. We try and include it in most trips down.

Vokey

[quote name='Don Ross' date='20 May 2010 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1274396845' post='2456555']
Hyland has been getting great reviews recently. New ownership, new management.
[/quote]

Yes that was before they lost the greens. New owners spent some money and had it looking nice. Now they have lost most of their greens. Buddy of mine played in a tourny there a few weeks ago and said most of the greens had no grass on them.

I'm a local. I am hearing the same as others have posted about the condition of the Hyland Hills. That's too bad considering it is a decent layout and it was in pretty good condition as recently as a month or so ago when I played there. My only problem that day, a Saturday, was that the course was packed and the round took six hours. That's the longest round, probably by an hour, that I have ever played over my lifetime here in the Sandhills.

Foxfire's turf and greens are in good condition, but the bunkers basically have no sand in them. If you play there, save your strokes if you can and put the ball out of them where possible.

I'm not a big fan of the Carolina, but I don't have the hatred that many have. They keep it in decent shape despite a shoestring budget. I think there are two main problems many have with it.

First, to play it well, you have to get the ball in the air. There are many hazards crossing the fairway and some greens are shallow and fronted by "junk" you must carry. A lot of the locals are seniors who are pretty good golfers but don't hit high, spinning shots any more.

Second, if you do hit a wayward shot into the woods, there's a 90% chance you have lost your ball even if you are just a few feet in. On most courses around here, they do a pretty good job of keeping the scrub oaks further out of play (or even out of existence), so that if you do end up in the woods, you are mostly dealing with pine straw and can find at least the moderately errant shots. I know, I know, you are supposed to keep the ball in the grass. Well, not even the pros can do that all the time. We hackers plan on losing some balls, but when the woods eat so many balls, it gets a little un-fun. Most other local courses are not nearly as penal if you are in the woods, so that may be why many locals would rather play elsewhere.

So, inconclusion on the Carolina: 1)Its design may not fit the eye or the game of many players, including some decent but low-hitting ones. 2) If you are having a bad day at the Carolina, you are likely to have a VERY bad day and lose a lot more balls than you might at most other courses in the area.

As of a couple weeks ago, I heard a number of bad reviews of the conditions at the Pit.

As far as playing in August goes, just about everything in town, short of some of the Pinehurst courses, should be under $70. Play in the afternoon heat and most courses will almost pay YOU to play. Southern Pines, Mid Pines, and Pine Needles are my favorite courses, but that's because my personal taste is for Donald Ross, classic, types of designs.

Check out Mid South Club. It is a Palmer design and is about 5-6 years old. Did not have a clubhouse when I played there. Good condition and fun to play. Not sure about cost but don't think it is too pricey.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

[quote name='SPNCHeel' date='25 May 2010 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1274807961' post='2466378']
Mid South (Originally Pinehurst Plantation) is actually close to 20 years old, but it is an enjoyable course and definitely worth playing.
[/quote]

SPNC...too bad you weren't in the other Pinehurst threads before I made my trip down there last week, we could have gone out to SPCC it looked like a great little tract.

Vokey

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of other suggestions.

1) CC of Whispering Pines (2 courses). The old River Course is a shortish but very interesting layout that winds around a lake that looks more like a wide stream. The old 'Pines Course' is a more classic, more wide open course. Both are enjoyable. They are now called 'East' and 'West', but if you call them referring to 'River and Pines' they will know what you are talking about.

2) Southern Pines Golf CLub is a classic Donald Ross course (although also on the short side).

3) The Pit (particularly the back side) is very interesting and tough. The times that I have played it conditioning has been fine, but it has been a year or so. Bring lots of balls unless you are super straight with about every club in your bag.

4) A 'wild card' here. Deercroft is 20 some minutes south of the area on 15-501 (near Wagram, NC). From a conditioning perspective it has a few rough edges but nothing that I find at all irritating. The greens are always just fine. And I just like the layout (which plays tighter than it looks at a glance). Coupons for $20/person rounds (including cart fee) on week days are common.

dave

• 1 month later...

I visited the States a couple of weeks ogo, played one week in Pinehurst and the other in Newark Ohio. Played Legacy while in Pinehurst and have to say the greens were some of the worst I've ever seen, the 12th had a bear patch about 2 mts square it realy did spoil the day. The guy in the clubhouse told one of our party that it was because it had not rained much but it didn't efect any other courses we played that week. locals might say it's improved if they have played in the last three weeks.

My favourite course we played that week was Seven Lakes, played for $60.

Also played Little River, Tothill Farm, Longleaf, and Foxfire west.

[quote name='crtssxc' timestamp='1279828412' post='2593014']
Anderson Creek or Tobacco Road hands down. Played both earlier this year and both were in great shape and a delight to play. Anderson Creek is more traditional, while I thought Tobacco Road was one of the most interesting courses i have ever played
[/quote]

Agree on both accounts. Those are two of my favorite non resort courses in the area.

Vokey

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mayboy09' timestamp='1274191546' post='2449886']
Tobacco Road is different and everyone needs to play it at least once. You will either love it or hate it, seems like there is no in between. Not as much target golf as people say. It is very wide open just can't tell it from the tee box. Widest fairways you will ever play. The greens are what make it so tough. If you hit your irons well and hit the right tier it is not a hard course. Tot Hill is very similar but is about a 45 minute drive. If you don't mind a little drive Anderson Creek is a decent course and doesn't cost much. Think it's about 30 minutes.
[/quote]

Tot Hill listed on Golf Digest as 7th most difficult course in America and Tobacco Road 10th most difficult. I have played both of them two times and they are definitely difficult. Of course you can score well on any course if you hit it straight and putt it good but they are definitely difficult.