Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire

shanksaplenty

Best Courses to Play and Sites to See
Headed to Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire this summer. As far as golf goes, we'll be using the Golfweek ratings as our guide: http://www.golfweek....s-you-can-play/

Maine
1. Sunday River GC, Newry (m)
2. Sugarloaf, Carrabassett Valley (m)
3. Kebo Valley, Bar Harbor ©
4. Cape Arundel, Kennebunkport ©
5. Belgrade Lakes GC, Belgrade Lakes (m)

New Hampshire
1. Mount Washington, Bretton Woods ©
2. Portsmouth CC Greenland ©
3. Balsams Resort (Panorama), Dixville Notch ©
4. Breakfast Hill, Greenland (m)
5. Owl’s Nest, Campton (m)

Vermont
1. Stowe Mountain Club, Stowe (m)
2. Golf Club at The Equinox, Manchester Village ©
3. Okemo Valley GC, Ludlow (m)
4. Green Mountain National, Killington (m)
5. Jay Peak, Jay (m)

Any residents (or frequent visitors) of these states willing to offer reviews on the courses above? Any we should steer clear of or others we should play instead?

How about other sites/recommendations of things to do/see?

Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put your NH courses in this order:

[color=#1C2837]New Hampshire
1. Portsmouth CC Greenland © (definitely on of the top courses in the state)
2. Owl’s Nest, Campton (m) (not a bad course, beautiful surroundings and easy access to I-93)[/color]
[color=#1C2837]3. Breakfast Hill, Greenland (m) (decent course, with playing if you're in the area)[/color]
[color=#1C2837]4. Balsams Resort (Panorama), Dixville Notch © [/color]
[color="#1C2837"]5. Mount Washington, Bretton Woods © [/color]
[color="#1C2837"]
[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]I wouldn't bother with the Mt. Washington course or the one at the Balsams (although I believe it has been renovated since I played there last).[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]
[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]Have fun[/color]

I can only comment on the Maine courses.

Maine
1. Sunday River GC, Newry (m)
[color="#4169e1"]- Very nice course. Worth the trip to get there, however there is nothing else in the area worth visiting. [/color]
2. Sugarloaf, Carrabassett Valley (m)
[color="#4169e1"]- Again a very nice course. Very challenging, usually in perfect condition. There are some good hiking, fishing, white water rafting places here if that's your thing.[/color]
3. Kebo Valley, Bar Harbor ©
[color="#4169e1"]- Never played the course but Bar Harbor and the National Park next door (Acadian National Park) is THE most beautiful place on earth.[/color]
4. Cape Arundel, Kennebunkport ©
[color="#4169e1"]- This is a decent course. Nothing great. As a poster above said, The Ledges, just a bit south of here offers much better golf. Kennebunkport is a great little town with a nice shopping area. Atlantic Ave is a gorgeous ride along the coast and goes past the Bush estate. The nearby beaches are some of the best in the state.[/color]
5. Belgrade Lakes GC, Belgrade Lakes (m)
[color="#4169e1"]- Never played but it's a nice area with lots of nice lakes. Not much else around there really.[/color]

Several years ago, when still living in Connecticut, my wife and I drove up to Kennebunkport and Bar Harbor (Acadia Natl. Park) and back home through NH and VT. Miscellaneous thoughts from tht trip:

Samoset Resort: Nice setting on the water, good views. Not a good golf course; maybe it's been remodeled by now.

Bar Harbor, Maine. Disappointe in town; tacky souvenir shops feeding disembarking cruise ship passengers. Acadia National Park is a must see.

Sugarloaf, Carrabasset Valley, Maine: Beautiful golf course. Isolated and took a bit of effort to drive there. No houses on fairways (a good thing). Trout streams. Great views, in particular, remember one downhill par 3. Would be spectacular during fall foliage. Ski resort with fishing, hiking, rafting etc. in summer.

Kebo Valley, Bar Harbor. Short course and didn't play. Kind of wish I had because its an old historic course (1892).

Balsams Resort, Dixville Notch, NH: Grand old resort hotel, upscale, huge. In the old days, families stayed for the "season". Every amenity and activity. Good Donald Ross course (Panorama) with great views. I'd play it again. Don't know current condition.

Woodstock, VT - Stayed at Woodstock Inn- upscale inn & resort. Played golf at nearby Quechee- 2 pretty good golf courses. Woodstock is "typical" Vermont village-- pretty and touristy.

I live in Vermont, and I would not play the golf course at Equinox, nor rank it close to that high. I played there in our 4 ball championship in May and the greens are in horrible condition and I just don't like the course all that much. As stated above, I would play the Quechee club, as it is very nice, or even Haystack Golf Club, a nice track in Southern VT with some of the hardest greens in New England. All the others that you had ranked are very nice, though I haven't had the chance to play Stowe or Jay Peak but hear they are great. Have fun!

I can also comment on the Maine courses...

with your golfweek list:
Sugarloaf: Challenging course with some great views, always been in good condition when I've played it. Several holes with nice elevation changes. Good place if your an outdoors/recreational person as Hunyacka stated.

Kebo Valley: I personally don't think it should be rated this high, but it is a classic course with some history. Plays in the shadows of Cadillac Mt. on the back 9. The area, as many have said, is amazing though, especially if you go into Acadia National Park.

Belgrade Lakes: One of my favorite courses that I've played. Probably my favorite in Maine. Always in great shape, fast greens, and a good variety of holes. The clubhouse setting is amazing, looking over lakes, and the 9th and 18th holes are great approach shots.

Not on list that I've played:

Samoset Resort (Rockland): Played for the first time this year. In good shape, nice greens. Front nine is par 34 and definitely easier, even though several holes are right alongside the ocean (beautiful). Back nine gets tight in some places, but is still fair. I enjoyed it.

Point Sebago (Casco): Lots of tees to choose from. Has always been in great shape when I've played it (Fall). Fairly priced for a resort type of place. Most holes are tree-lined and I would call it an accuracy course off the tee.

Natanis - Tomahawk (Vassalboro - Near Augusta): I've played a lot here, and have always been happy. There are two courses, but Tomahawk is by far the better. Great conditions throughout with a good layout. Front nine is open, back nine is out in the woods and requires better play.

Not on list that I haven't played: I haven't played these, but would like to - have heard good things about them all.

Fox Ridge (Auburn)
Ledges (York)
Links at Outlook (South Berwick)
Old Marsh CC (Wells)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now that this trip is behind us, thought I'd give an update on courses played, impressions, etc.

Each of the below courses tended to be target golf, so don't expect to score well the first time through. I'm a 6-capper, and scored from the low to mid 80's on each (playing from approx. 6,500 to 6,600 yards). We encountered a different green speed at each location and never quite adjusted each day.

[b]Maine:[/b]

Sunday River - super course; very scenic, but the greens were quite slow when we played - I left 4-5 putts in the jaws, just a few inches short. A course I'd recommend. Not much else to do around that area. Great local brews and fare at the Sunday River Ale House, though!

The Ledges - played with a member, so that helped. Really nice course, but once you've played a round or two in the mountains, the scenery is just a little lacking.

[b]New Hampshire:[/b]

Owl's Nest - Some neat holes with great elevation changes (played a downhill 485-yard par 4 with driver and gap wedge). One poster noted that the scenery had been diminished by some grading/construction in the distance - he was right. It kinda took away from the views on the elevated holes.

Portsmouth CC: A classic RTJ Sr. course. The back nine reminded me of the Dunes Club in Myrtle, with swept-up bunkers and greens. Take some bug spray - the horse flies and "no see um's" near the water are tough! Played with a couple of guys who'd played there frequently, so their local info helped. My wife shot +5, but was not enamored with the course.

[b]Vermont:[/b]

Okemo Valley - advertised as a heathland style course - it reminds me of the Heathlands course (part of the Legends group) in Myrtle beach. Very target-oriented and some local knowledge is definitely helpful. Some great scenery with the ski slopes in the background.

Green Mountain National - again, you must hit the ball straight here. Very nice views and we were fortunate to have someone who'd played there frequently to give us sight-lines off the tee.

Bottom Line:

Enjoyed all courses selected; looking to return in a few years and play more in Vermont, upstate NY, etc. Of all the courses we visited, Vermont seemed to have courses which were more picturesque/to our liking. Would have probably enjoyed each course more if I'd had the chance to play each at least twice. Will probably try to do that on our next trip.

Thanks for all the input!!!

• 8 months later...

I'm a member at Green Mountain National.. gorgeous golf course, top rate greens and fairways.. and excellent prices for everyone.. Stowe although i havnt had the pleasure of playing, ive heard is the hardest golf course that several of my friends have played on.. Okemo Valley is another gorgeous, well kept mountain resort course, that in my opinion is one of the top 3 courses in vermont.. its a little more pricey though.. i do agree with whoever said that they wouldnt put Equinox on the top list of courses to play... cause honestly it isnt as amazing as its made out to be..

Top Vermont Courses public and private (the order is just relative... cause could all be moved around anywhere)

1: Eqwanok
2: Country Club of Vermont
3: Stowe Mountain Club
4: Dorset Field Club
5: Okemo Valley
6: Vermont National
7: Green Mountain National
8: The Quechee Club (lakelands)
9: The Quechee Club (highlands)
10: Burlington Country Club

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand why Rutland CC doesn't get more attention from people who rate Vermont golf courses. It is picturesque and has the best greens in the state that aren't located at Ekwanok.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1274611264' post='2461433']
I haven't played most of the courses on that list, but I do have a couple you should play:

The Ledges (in York, ME)
Atkinson Country Club (Atkinson, NH)

On the list, I've played Portsmouth CC (once) and Breakfast Hill (frequently - it's my regular course) and agree that both are excellent courses.
[/quote]

I second this.

[quote name='bigtedrx' timestamp='1303442333' post='3175672']
[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1274611264' post='2461433']
I haven't played most of the courses on that list, but I do have a couple you should play:

The Ledges (in York, ME)
Atkinson Country Club (Atkinson, NH)

On the list, I've played Portsmouth CC (once) and Breakfast Hill (frequently - it's my regular course) and agree that both are excellent courses.
[/quote]

I second this.
[/quote]

And I just posted on a year old thread....lol. Oops. I still second it.

• 1 month later...

Laconia Country Club is the most underrated course in New Hampshire and as a high school golfer I have traveled and played so many of the nicer courses around and I have never played a nice course. I play here evey day and I work here so I am biased but it is private so that isn't much of a help but there are ways to get on it.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='GolfBaller05' timestamp='1275498562' post='2482240']
I can also comment on the Maine courses...

with your golfweek list:
Sugarloaf: Challenging course with some great views, always been in good condition when I've played it. Several holes with nice elevation changes. Good place if your an outdoors/recreational person as Hunyacka stated.

Kebo Valley: I personally don't think it should be rated this high, but it is a classic course with some history. Plays in the shadows of Cadillac Mt. on the back 9. The area, as many have said, is amazing though, especially if you go into Acadia National Park.

Belgrade Lakes: One of my favorite courses that I've played. Probably my favorite in Maine. Always in great shape, fast greens, and a good variety of holes. The clubhouse setting is amazing, looking over lakes, and the 9th and 18th holes are great approach shots.

Not on list that I've played:

Samoset Resort (Rockland): Played for the first time this year. In good shape, nice greens. Front nine is par 34 and definitely easier, even though several holes are right alongside the ocean (beautiful). Back nine gets tight in some places, but is still fair. I enjoyed it.

Point Sebago (Casco): Lots of tees to choose from. Has always been in great shape when I've played it (Fall). Fairly priced for a resort type of place. Most holes are tree-lined and I would call it an accuracy course off the tee.

Natanis - Tomahawk (Vassalboro - Near Augusta): I've played a lot here, and have always been happy. There are two courses, but Tomahawk is by far the better. Great conditions throughout with a good layout. Front nine is open, back nine is out in the woods and requires better play.

Not on list that I haven't played: I haven't played these, but would like to - have heard good things about them all.

Fox Ridge (Auburn)
Ledges (York)
Links at Outlook (South Berwick)
Old Marsh CC (Wells)
[/quote]

Fox Ridge is great I think. Nice elevation changes, and a good shot makers course. Very visually appealing

Kebo is a little overpriced and is SLOW, but the setting is great. They are also kind of dicks over there (I lived in Bar Harbor for many years) try getting on NE Harbor GC instead.

Point Sebago is nice. The two nines are so different. One is kinda wide open, and the other is in the woods. Great deals for ME residents too. 39 weekday/49weekend incl cart

Poland Spring (Poland) is the first resort course built in the USA (Arthur Fenn, then Donald Ross). If you are looking for your Old Tyme Golf fix it's worth a look. Not very long, but if you miss the greens you're in trouble. Nice stay and play packages

Belgrade Lakes. There is nothing to say except for the best in Maine, I think...

I like Sunday River better than Sugarloaf but that's just me...

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='dmagalhaes' timestamp='1310999085' post='3400854']
I lived up there for a couple of years and used to play Kebo all the time so I would definitely recommend you play there and visit Acadia Nat'l park. Try to hit Testa's in Bar Harbor for dinner. Another I would recommend is Sable Oaks in Portland.
[/quote]

Sable Oaks is okay. Tight track, tree lined with small greens, but again....SLOW. Almost as slow as Nonesuch River but not quite. Anything near the city is gonna be slow.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip