2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TW's SQ Driver

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's using the SQ Max Tour. You can see it on the USGA website on the conforming driver list.

Correct. The SQ, SQ tour, and SQ MAX are all available to the public, but the SQ MAX tour is the tour only version, kinda like split cavities.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

there are diff. in the sq retail and the sq max tour..

the face of the sq max tour has the wrap around nexti like retail sq tour.

the cg is more in the middle vs. the heel..

the face is deeper..

essentiall the sq max tour is sq tour retail with the similar shape the the sq max retail..

The retail sq max has the nexti face as well

Maybe he should go back to the Ignite at least with that he could hit 59% of the fairways. I don't think he has won anything of note with the SQ. It's pretty clear that if he keeps driving like this he won't likely contend in any future Opens. All the rest are fair game since most don't set them up like the U.S. Open (no penalty for not being on the hole you are playing). Great to see a course set up like this weeks. In the rough you pay the penalty. Just shows you don't have to just make the courses long distances, just grow the darn rough. Interesting to note just how accurate a driver Nicklaus was in his career, that along with his accurate iron play were probably the reason in his later years he was so poor getting up and down out of bunkers etc. (didn't need to be good there since he was most often in the fairway and on the green or close in regulation. In all the years I followed Jack (and Tiger) (100s of tournaments attended not TV) I can say I never saw Jack all over creation (even when his hip was degenerating) like Tiger has been for the last 3+ years.

Maybe he should go back to the Ignite at least with that he could hit 59% of the fairways. I don't think he has won anything of note with the SQ. It's pretty clear that if he keeps driving like this he won't likely contend in any future Opens. All the rest are fair game since most don't set them up like the U.S. Open (no penalty for not being on the hole you are playing). Great to see a course set up like this weeks. In the rough you pay the penalty. Just shows you don't have to just make the courses long distances, just grow the darn rough. Interesting to note just how accurate a driver Nicklaus was in his career, that along with his accurate iron play were probably the reason in his later years he was so poor getting up and down out of bunkers etc. (didn't need to be good there since he was most often in the fairway and on the green or close in regulation. In all the years I followed Jack (and Tiger) (100s of tournaments attended not TV) I can say I never saw Jack all over creation (even when his hip was degenerating) like Tiger has been for the last 3+ years.

I agree with that analysis. Its one thing to blow it all over the place in a regular event, or at the Open (British, if you must) and at Augusta and then use your short game to get the score, but at the US Open that is no good.

I think TW needs to go back to the Ignite, or even a Titleist and maybe to Butch Harmon too.

I think he should go back to the Ignite not only for slightly more accuracy but for the added distance too. Since he was averaging 16 more yards of the tee last year. But, he doesn't need a Titleist or Butch Harmon.

I agree with that analysis. Its one thing to blow it all over the place in a regular event, or at the Open (British, if you must) and at Augusta and then use your short game to get the score, but at the US Open that is no good.

I think TW needs to go back to the Ignite, or even a Titleist and maybe to Butch Harmon too.

I think he should go back to the Ignite not only for slightly more accuracy but for the added distance too. Since he was averaging 16 more yards of the tee last year. But, he doesn't need a Titleist or Butch Harmon.

or maybe tiger just needs to working on swing and his driving. everyone is blaming the sq like its the problem, yet everyone was complaining about his driving when he started using the ignite. and before the ignite, everyone complained that he wasn't using butch. maybe we should blame the indian and not the arrow.

with the logic of it being the drivers fault, does this mean the ft-3 is a piece of junk? 2 of 14 fairways yesterday; one hospitality tent and one trash can.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

or maybe tiger just needs to working on swing and his driving. everyone is blaming the sq like its the problem, yet everyone was complaining about his driving when he started using the ignite. and before the ignite, everyone complained that he wasn't using butch. maybe we should blame the indian and not the arrow.

with the logic of it being the drivers fault, does this mean the ft-3 is a piece of junk? 2 of 14 fairways yesterday; one hospitality tent and one trash can.

(Start sarcasm) There is no way you can blame the FT3 for that mastery of the tee box :crazy: ...Callaway makes great drivers (insert more sarcasm here)...only Nike drivers cause yardage loss, missing fairways, hitting tents and trash cans, etc... :idhitit:

Maybe Phil should have used a R7 425 Tour TP with a Re-ax 110 gram X shaft...that would solve all his and Tiger's problems... :friends: (end sarcasm)

• 8 months later...

Do you guys not notice last year too busy slating phil for the us open to forget tigers 2 majors and bearly finishing out the top 5 let alone top 10 come on get a grip 90% of the people on here dont hit it 300+ so they dont know what its like keeping a ball in play that long and how can we blame anyone for abd driving that is the best player of all time ( sorry jack just better competion now) come on boys

I'm pretty sure Tiger averages more distance off the tee with the SQ than with the Ignite. Also, he used the SQ all of last year and judging by his performance, it looks like it worked out pretty well for him.

Nope he averaged less off the tee in 2006 but he's back up this year so far.

2005: 316.1

2006: 306.4

2007: 317.3

You gotta check the stats before you say something like that. (cool)

Do you guys not notice last year too busy slating phil for the us open to forget tigers 2 majors and bearly finishing out the top 5 let alone top 10 come on get a grip 90% of the people on here dont hit it 300+ so they dont know what its like keeping a ball in play that long and how can we blame anyone for abd driving that is the best player of all time ( sorry jack just better competion now) come on boys

Lucky Jack that lousy competition he had to play against. Palmer, Player, Watson, Irwin, Casper, Trevino, Seve, etc. etc.. Suggest you add up their majors and then add up the majors for the top 100 players combined that makes up the better competition that Tiger plays against today. Actually add up the top 200 players. OOPPPS....... Lucky Jack playing against that inferior competition. Must be why he had 19 second place finishes in the majors along with 18 majors. He sure was lucky to have played against such stiffs. LOL (cool)

I'm pretty sure Tiger averages more distance off the tee with the SQ than with the Ignite. Also, he used the SQ all of last year and judging by his performance, it looks like it worked out pretty well for him.

You must realize that that is a driving distance stat, not a driver distance stat. The PGA Tour does not discriminate between drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, irons, etc. when measuring those distances. It is inconcievable that Tiger would have put the SQ and then the SQ Tour in play if they were 10 yards shorter than his Ignite. This brings me to the obvious conclusion that he hit more 3-woods/5-woods/2-irons off the tee in '06 than in '05. It's a simple cause-and-effect: he was hitting less fairways with the driver, hence he had to hit shorter clubs off the tee on more occasions, hence his average tee shot was shorter. One tournament that would've made a huge difference is the Open Championship. In '05 at St. Andrews, Tiger hit driver a lot, carrying it over all the pot bunkers. In '06 he hit is driver exactly once at Hoylake. That's just one tournament but it certainly has an impact on the stats. Anyways, in this case the stats do lie.

Vapor Pro 9.5° Aldila Tour Green 65 TX
VR Pro Ltd 15º Fubuki Tour 73 X
Idea Pro 18º VS Proto 80 X
Vapor Pro Combo (3-5) Blade (6-PW) C Taper 130 X
RTX 4 Raw 54°/60° DGTI S400
Byron Morgan 006 Stainless

Lucky Jack that lousy competition he had to play against. Palmer, Player, Watson, Irwin, Casper, Trevino, Seve, etc. etc.. Suggest you add up their majors and then add up the majors for the top 100 players combined that makes up the better competition that Tiger plays against today. Actually add up the top 200 players. OOPPPS....... Lucky Jack playing against that inferior competition. Must be why he had 19 second place finishes in the majors along with 18 majors. He sure was lucky to have played against such stiffs. LOL (cool)

i disagree with this, although i take nothing away from jack's competition. i think more guys won more majors because tiger is that much more dominant than jack ever was, hardly because the competition is "worse". the quality of players might be just as good if not better now. i think it has everything to do with the way the game has changed too as to why there isn't a pack of guys who are constantly at the top besides tiger. i believe, however it's open to interpretation, that it was much more of a ball striking game in jack's heyday and today it's more of a proximity to the hole and bridie conversion from 125 and in and a short game game today, opening up the playing field to a lot more guys.

You must realize that that is a driving distance stat, not a driver distance stat. The PGA Tour does not discriminate between drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, irons, etc. when measuring those distances. It is inconcievable that Tiger would have put the SQ and then the SQ Tour in play if they were 10 yards shorter than his Ignite. This brings me to the obvious conclusion that he hit more 3-woods/5-woods/2-irons off the tee in '06 than in '05. It's a simple cause-and-effect: he was hitting less fairways with the driver, hence he had to hit shorter clubs off the tee on more occasions, hence his average tee shot was shorter. One tournament that would've made a huge difference is the Open Championship. In '05 at St. Andrews, Tiger hit driver a lot, carrying it over all the pot bunkers. In '06 he hit is driver exactly once at Hoylake. That's just one tournament but it certainly has an impact on the stats. Anyways, in this case the stats do lie.

i completely agree that driving stats are one of the most misleading stats in golf. driving distances will vary event to event, year to year. tiger (or any other player for that matter) could be hitting the driver longer than the year before, but the driving distance stat might say otherwise because the year before maybe a couple of the tournaments course where bone dry giving them increddible roll. driving accuracy is also very misleading. phil bombing a drive down the center of the fairway and it runs out in to the first cut or takes a funny bounce in the fairway into the first cut is considered the same miss as taking one off a hospitallity tent. the only stat that isn't misleading is longest drive, but again, that really can't be compared to other years just because of weather, course conditions and course setup.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I talked to a stats official before and he said something like this:

We only take 2 drives a round, front 9 and back 9 (usually par 5's). And the players know what holes they are... so staffers that are long hitters try to bomb drives to push #'s. Top players could care less, they have sponsers for life...

Dont know if this is true but makes a little sense.

His body is more healthy this year (knee), plus he isn't concerned about his father's condition. Physically and mentally better, imo.

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

I don't think the stats lie in this case because, with the SQ in his bag last year at Doral was he able to drive onto the 16th? Or was he able to come up just short of the 10th at Cog Hill?