2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rookie Golfer hooked on the classics

tons of pics
Hey all, I've only been golfing for about 3 years and find I am hooked on classic clubs. What started me down this path was a walk in 2009 around my neighborhood with my family when we came across a garbage bin on the street with golf clubs sticking out. Curious, I checked them out and was amazed that anyone would throw away golf clubs. I looked at my wife and she told me to grab them since they're in the trash, its no big deal. So I grabbed the majority, not all and still regret it, and poured over them for the remainder of our walk. They were Spalding Don Massengale irons from 2 to 8, a Golfsmith driving iron and two putters, one of which was a Wilson 8802, the other a Northwestern. I injured my shoulder during a 2009 spring soccer tournament and only golfed once that whole year. This year I have returned to the links. Being fresh to the sport I thought these old clubs were amusing at best and decided to actually try them out against my Adams GT3's (yeah bargain line Adams I know). I was amazed to find that I hit these every bit as good if not better than the oversize cavity back super forgiving new stuff. So I immediately sold the Adams on Craigslist and bagged the Spaldings. Being unemployed this seemed like a wise thing to do and I don't regret it, not just for the money.

Then one day I picked up the Wilson putter and decided to do some research on it. Here is were I found the world of golf equipment, the goods the bads and that old stuff is as good as new. The fact that this putter was rated as one of the best of all time (probably depends on who you ask right) blew me away. I was holding a 60's 8802 that I found in the trash with the potential to sell for $100 or more. I quickly saw dollar signs and popped into a couple thrift stores and was immediately hooked on the hunt for high quality classic golg clubs. I mean people just throw these out and I need to find them; ha yeah, its the hunt that is fun for sure. To sum it all up, I've found a thrift store that sells by the pound, so a set of clubs runs about $5 (that is if I can find a full set) so the number of clubs has grown dramatically in the last month. I've found I spend more time than I should researching classic clubs for those that are deemed great and good to play. Its actually becoming an addiction; anyone else have this problem? Ha, whatever, I will go till my wife says no more..... I think I may actually start a collection or something, well if I ever find clubs worth collecting like the 8802.

If anyone is trying to complete a set let me know and I can keep an eye out while I make the rounds. And if something I find is crap, please let me know, this is becoming a hobby and I'm on the steep part of the learning curve.

here's some pics of what I've accumulated:

The ones that started it all, Spalding Don Massengale
P1010669.jpg

My current bagged clubs, haven't tried them, found last week with the 9* boom boom driver:
P1010663.jpg
P1010665.jpg

Love this Taylor made:
P1010664.jpg

Currently refinishing these titleist's, they were trashed.
P1010682.jpg

Found a handfull of old WIlson's. Some Dyna Staff models, Blue ridge's with leather, Black Heather's with leather
P1010691.jpg
P1010689.jpg
P1010690.jpg

The red/black are the Blue Ridge, brown w/ gold piping is Black Heather, red dots (vacutite or something like that) is a staff model 9i
P1010694.jpg

black heather:
P1010693.jpg
P1010688.jpg

Sam Snead Blue Ridge:
P1010692.jpg

My 8802
880202.jpg
880208.jpg
880207.jpg

Unknown brand:
P1010680.jpg

A couple Yonex irons:
P1010676.jpg

Spalding Tour Flites, nothing special but look nice, haven't tried them yet.
P1010677.jpg

Spalding XL4 PW
P1010696.jpg

Golden Eagle First Flight
P1010672.jpg

Spalding Executives 3-P a full set
P1010671.jpg

Dunlop Maxfli Australian blades:
P1010670.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a great story. The collecting side of Golf can be a full time pursuit (and an evil one at that :D ). The 8802 is worth much more than $100 but if you want to part with it for, say $110, then I will write a check immediately! ;)

Some of those clubs brings back personal memories to me. I never had an original 8802, just reproductions. I did have an original 8813 though and that putter was terrific. I gamed a Boom Boom for a very short time (because of Freddie Couples) and owned a TM Raylor. I have owned a few Wilson staff irons sets as well, including the FG17 which is very similar to the first set of staff irons (under the Titleist metal woods).

Best of luck in the pursuit of the classics. I hope that your wife does not put you in the dog house. :D

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

You've got some beautiful stuff there. Lots of guys on this site have a little stash of classic irons and woods in the basement. My BeCu Eye2's and Golden Bears are proof of that. Sometimes the older equipment is just fun to play with.

As the previous poster alluded to, if your wife is supportive, then you are well on your way to a serious collection. Personally my wife has a "one set in, one set out" policy. Anytime I buy one, I've got to sell one. Luckily it doesn't apply to drivers and putters.

Good luck with your addiction!

TM R15
TM Burner 3W (old.....)
TM RBZ 19 degree
WS Fybrid 4 hybrid
Ping Karsten 5-UW
Ping iWedge 54+58
Scotty Squareback 2

Do I need a 4-iron?

Thanks for the support! I probably should sell the 8802 to recoup some of my costs but it goes so well with the Black Heather and BLue Ridge leather grips. I think I may end keeping a set to hit, the leather wrapped wilsons and sell the rest (if I can). My wife is starting to get concerned.....

I usually pass the blue ridges since they are so common but these ones had the red and black leather grips and were in great shape. Paid $.75 each for the them.

Went back to the yard today and found an old taylor made burner, a titleist 9i, incomplete set of Wilson Reflex (funky design), full set of Wilson Staff persimmons (I think), a Fox Bat Perssimon, and a Kraydon putter.

I saw but didn't get:
a set of MacGregor Tourney irons with matching set of VIP wood woods (Jack Niclaus (spelling)), a full set of Faultless MVP (Lee Travino) irons and woods (these woods were gorgeous, like the ply's alternated shades of brown with a nice light stain), Some old old wilson's that I can't remember the name with really round toes.

This place is $0.5 per pound so a single club is around 50 cents, its too easy to get carried away.