Looking for NON-BIASED reviews of Adams A-Tour Irons

JGalls

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for non-biased reviews of the Adams A-Tour Irons...the black paintfill/box toe irons.

Thanks.

Would that be a positive non biased or a negative non biased review you are looking for? A neutral non biased review isn't really a review. Possibly only if Iron Byron could talk could you get that. People involved review will be biased either by their own swing, their own swing that day, like or dislike for the company, weather conditions, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Whether you like them or not there is one fact that is true they have to be among the most expensive steel castings I can remember (just if you buy them through your local pro---not at the yellow brick road place)

I've looked for years for a non biased movie review---still looking.

I'm looking for non-biased reviews of the Adams A-Tour Irons...the black paintfill/box toe irons.

Thanks.

Would that be a positive non biased or a negative non biased review you are looking for? A neutral non biased review isn't really a review. Possibly only if Iron Byron could talk could you get that. People involved review will be biased either by their own swing, their own swing that day, like or dislike for the company, weather conditions, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I hate to speak for JGALLS, but I think he's just asking for a review of the clubs where someone doesn't stand to make a $500 profit by advertising them as a club longer than his old set, and one of 50 sets in existance, or reviews by a 18 handicap trying to kiss a certain site owner's @$$, or justify the $1200 he just plunked down on irons. . .

I think he understands that a golf review will be biased by one's swing tendencies and game.

EDIT: Hopefully Asleep will chime in. I know he liked his, but is now back to his beloved TM 300's.

Thanks.

I hate to speak for JGALLS, but I think he's just asking for a review of the clubs where someone doesn't stand to make a $500 profit by advertising them as a club longer than his old set, and one of 50 sets in existance, or reviews by a 18 handicap trying to kiss a certain site owner's @$$, or justify the $1200 he just plunked down on irons. . .

I think he understands that a golf review will be biased by one's swing tendencies and game.

Doesn't have to pay 1 cent over $999.99 if he goes to any decent sized retailer that isn't trying to make a killing. I have no idea of where the 50 sets number came from. I know of 5 sets alone in my area (from three different retailers, all paid $999.99 not $1400 or $1200). 2 sit gathering dust (black and red one shiny one satin) on my racks (hopefully my brother will return my CG-1s and take those/his clubs away with him).

Before anyone did that I would encourage them to review all the really top notch forgings that can be had for $999.99 or less.

Had the chance to hit them out of Sr. Tour players bag and was not impressed.

BIG SIDE NOTE: I am less and less impressed with the high dollar rarity items that get promoted and then lose all value latter and honestly just were not better. The ADAMS tour line for me clearly is in that category....over priced and worth little later.

For the record I have whored myself out on the following high dollar sets:

RAC Proto's, RAC Miura Tour Offerings, 681 Tours, 690 MB Tours, Bridgestone Tour CB, Nike Split Cavity Tour, X Tour Tour, Mizuno MP 33 Tour? (like there is a difference with Mizuno)and countless and I mean countless retail offerings. Mizuno gets this right on a retail level as does KZG...until my RAC MB's came along.

For my money TM really got it right with the latest MB offering and they knocked my MIzuno's out of the bag.

Wish you the best in search of the unbiased review, I tried.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

EDIT: Hopefully Asleep will chime in. I know he liked his, but is now back to his beloved TM 300's.

My impressions of the A-Tours are easy to find in searches. For whatever reason, there's a lot of "emotion" surrounding those irons that I'm not interested in exploring. I'm still deciding if the Black Gold shafts I have in them are too heavy/stiff for me.

Kiran, I took the A-Tours to a lesson with Tommy O'Brien the other day and he was (surprisingly) very impressed with them--noticed them immediately, but not so much as a courtesy inquiry/acknowledgment of my Lehmans.8.gif Titleist just sent him his 695.MBs....very pretty.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Thanks.

These irons have a lot hostility around them I see...

Basically the few threads on this site dealing with these irons include rants about the "other site" and its members. Just looking for honest straight forward, no BS reviews of these sticks.

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

While I have not had a chance to actually own/play with these irons, I have a hit the non-offset version and looked them over closely. Not really a qualified review, but they set up very nice as a true players club. Very eye appealing at address for me. I don't really care too much for the cavity design, but it doesn't have anything to do with playabiltity. As far as feel and workability I thought they were on par with most high end irons. Not as soft as some forgings but a little better feeling than most cast irons i've played. Overall a very nice set of irons. Now the question.....would I pay the big bucks for these irons......no i don't think I would, there are many other irons out there just as good that fit my game and eye for better money. IMHO if you are buying/playing these irons and paid over a grand for them it's more about them being a rare set than them being any better than what else is out there. It is nice to see some of the newer Adams designs. They seem to be really moving up and expanding in the golf world.

I am currently playing a red satin set. While they are not Zero offset they are not 2mm either. Very slight gradual offset and a square toe. I did not have any great expectations when I got these as I was playing a Miura 300 set and a CG2 Tour set. I have played several rounds now and they are pretty good. I am impressed with the feel. A quite soft feel for a Faux forged. Not as soft as a MR23 set but a nice muted solid feel. The lofts were a little jacked up and after I got that sorted out I have found them to be slightly longer than either a Xtour or 300's. I do really like the soles. Narrower than most but not like and old blade. A killed leading edge and some modest bounce with some heel relief. I don't really care for the square toe but that's just me. I have tried them with DGS400's and now TC S3. The tour concepts add to the feel and performance. Pretty darn good. Not worth $1500 but heck retail Xtours and TP's are $999.

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

i have played a set of adam's a2 irons with the offset....the offset was way too much in the pw and 9 iron, so i sold them and have a black label set coming in on mon......anyways as to the review, these have boxy toes but they are more like ping than like lehman's......the irons are pretty tall at address, especialy the pw....anyways the feels is surprisingly good when the ball is hit flush and the irons do offer feedback for missed shots....they are a bit clicky, but since i love the clicky feedback, this is a bonus...as mentioned before the sole is as good as it gets....the irons are slightly large, forgiving and seem to be very well made....the set i had was weighed individually and all the head weights were evenly spaced except for 2 irons......in the world of iron heads, including tour heads, this is becoming a rarity......these irons are in no way a holy grail but they are very good irons.....i have bagged quite a few sets of irons in the past couple of years ( at least 50 ) and these are one of the better ones......they may not be worth 1200, nor even 800 but they are worth playing.......