Searching for a really low spinning driver with forgiveness.

scifisicko

less hype maybe but less prestige,not even close W/S has been in golf since the 20's i mean c'mon they invented the sand wedge along with plenty more im sure.Thay have made more improvements to clubs than any other manufacturer out there and,its not even close.And on top of all of that they have 61 majors won with their clubs,far and away more than anybody else.I know they fell off in the mid 90's and didnt get back until a few years ago but,that does not take away what they have already accomplished as a company in golf.Back in the day Wilson Staff clubs were THE clubs to have and,hogan's,macgregor's and a few more were right behind them.But out of all of the club manufacturers that were around back then W/S is the only one that remains.So no that aint right at all W/S has more presige in this game than any other manufacturer period.I aint trying to be a smarta** but c'mon man surely you know how prestigious the Wilson name is to golf and,how much they have contributed to the game over the past 90 years.The only reason they fell off in the mid 90's was cause of a few bad ideas and all of the new technology that was replacing the technology that they were used to and had been using.They had the best balata balls,persimmon woods,old forged style irons wedges and putters.And then it all changed no more balata,no more persimmon,and irons started being made different even though they did make the first cavity back iron also.But all of these technonlogical companies came up and everything started being made with different tech and Wilson didnt keep up.But now they are coming back and if you didnt know how much they used to rule the game of golf ask around or look up achives on it and you will see.

less presige LOL, i think not

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are totally missing my point, or i am not explaining it properly. There is thread after thread after thread after thread regarding TM and Ping drivers, Nike, Callaway, Adams even. Plenty of threads on TM irons and the like too.

Where are all the threads on Wilson Staff gear? There are next to zero. I believe my original description that the big names have more "bling" describes the above stats perfectly. Wilson make good gear but noway are they as revered and talked about as some of the other brands, not even close.

As for prestige, well Wilson aren't ruling now was my point. Many people buying the other brands wouldn't even remember or have heard of Wilson's success 20, 30 and 50 years ago and i don't think the past is selling gear for them. Other brands are more prestigious right now today, rightly, wrongly or whatever. In fact many people avoid Wilson, seeing it as a plain jane middle of the road product.

Why else do you think you had to come to Wilson Staff's side in this thread? Why else do you think so many were advising different passages?

I'm no Wilson basher, just trying to get the point across of where Wilson is with many consumers. Many i am wrong? Maybe i haven't explained myself clearly? I don't doubt they make very solid gear, i've used their product back in the turn of the 90's when imo they were much much bigger.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

[quote name='west coast duffer' timestamp='1287451898' post='2748935']
Do low spin and forgiving even belong in the same sentance.
[/quote]
Could someone explain this please, for someone who is not as technical as many of you. Please explain the relation between forgiving and low spin for someone who is learning. Thank you.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1287469800' post='2749253']
less hype maybe but less prestige,not even close W/S has been in golf since the 20's i mean c'mon they invented the sand wedge along with plenty more im sure.Thay have made more improvements to clubs than any other manufacturer out there and,its not even close.And on top of all of that they have 61 majors won with their clubs,far and away more than anybody else.I know they fell off in the mid 90's and didnt get back until a few years ago but,that does not take away what they have already accomplished as a company in golf.Back in the day Wilson Staff clubs were THE clubs to have and,hogan's,macgregor's and a few more were right behind them.But out of all of the club manufacturers that were around back then W/S is the only one that remains.So no that aint right at all W/S has more presige in this game than any other manufacturer period.I aint trying to be a smarta** but c'mon man surely you know how prestigious the Wilson name is to golf and,how much they have contributed to the game over the past 90 years.The only reason they fell off in the mid 90's was cause of a few bad ideas and all of the new technology that was replacing the technology that they were used to and had been using.They had the best balata balls,persimmon woods,old forged style irons wedges and putters.And then it all changed no more balata,no more persimmon,and irons started being made different even though they did make the first cavity back iron also.But all of these technonlogical companies came up and everything started being made with different tech and Wilson didnt keep up.But now they are coming back and if you didnt know how much they used to rule the game of golf ask around or look up achives on it and you will see.

less presige LOL, i think not
[/quote]

No way are they as big a brand as the other big names are, it's not even close. Heck Golfsmith doesn't even carry Wilson clubs in its stores. The past means next to nothing to someone when buying a new club unless they just have a set brand loyalty, it's all about what gives the best results. Not saying the Wilson wouldn't win out in that case, but the fact that it's not even an option some places is pretty telling to me.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Low spin and forgiving? Cobra L5V (5300 MOI). Very low spin.

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

I know they are not as popular now as they were i am not arguing that but,popularity has nothing to do with prestige.I am not talking about a popularity contest and,i know some stores doesnt carry their stuff but,they dont carry them cause they dont sell not cause they aint no good.They made some real bad decisions and did not keep up with the technology changes and,they fell by the side.But now they are picking themselves back up and jumping back in and, in a few more years their stuff will be in storesl,the stores wont have any choice.Like i said they fell off in mid 90's when technology changed but,i would argue they have still done more since then than most.They won 10 majors in the 90's and then harrington won those 3 so,thats 13 majors won since 1990,not many other manufacturers can say that now can they.So if you think they havnt done anything in 50 years you are wrong.They invented those cavity back irons that you are playing today and,that sandwedge you love so much,yea thats also thanks to Wilson.And napa style putters were not always called napa when it first came out all you had to say was THE WILSON 8802 and everyone knew exactly what you were talking about so,yea they invented that too.History doesnt change so they are still more prestigious than any other company.....period.Richard petty doesnt win nascar races anymore but,he is still the KING and,even though W/S does still win majors they are not as popular as they once were but,they are still the KING of winning majors.I am not saying nor did i ever say they are more popular or as popular as other brands out today.I am not stupid i know they aint,read my posts and tell me one time where i said they were,i didnt in fact i said you were right about the hype.But prestige has nothing to do with popularity or hype i guess you should have chosen a different word but,no one has a more prestigious name than W/S......PERIOD.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1287501408' post='2749645']
I know they are not as popular now as they were i am not arguing that but,popularity has nothing to do with prestige.I am not talking about a popularity contest and,i know some stores doesnt carry their stuff but,they dont carry them cause they dont sell not cause they aint no good.They made some real bad decisions and did not keep up with the technology changes and,they fell by the side.But now they are picking themselves back up and jumping back in and, in a few more years their stuff will be in storesl,the stores wont have any choice.Like i said they fell off in mid 90's when technology changed but,i would argue they have still done more since then than most.They won 10 majors in the 90's and then harrington won those 3 so,thats 13 majors won since 1990,not many other manufacturers can say that now can they.So if you think they havnt done anything in 50 years you are wrong.They invented those cavity back irons that you are playing today and,that sandwedge you love so much,yea thats also thanks to Wilson.And napa style putters were not always called napa when it first came out all you had to say was THE WILSON 8802 and everyone knew exactly what you were talking about so,yea they invented that too.History doesnt change so they are still more prestigious than any other company.....period.Richard petty doesnt win nascar races anymore but,he is still the KING and,even though W/S does still win majors they are not as popular as they once were but,they are still the KING of winning majors.I am not saying nor did i ever say they are more popular or as popular as other brands out today.I am not stupid i know they aint,read my posts and tell me one time where i said they were,i didnt in fact i said you were right about the hype.But prestige has nothing to do with popularity or hype i guess you should have chosen a different word but,no one has a more prestigious name than W/S......PERIOD.
[/quote]

:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Honestly majors won is a pretty loose stat. All someone needs to have in their bag is 1 club.

Plus clubs dont win majors players do.

I dont think really "may people" would throw W/S in the mix when talking about the "best" clubs out there compared to Ping, TM, Titleist, Callaway, Adams. JMHO

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

[quote name='rymail00' timestamp='1287543349' post='2750641']
[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1287501408' post='2749645']
[/quote]

:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Honestly majors won is a pretty loose stat. All someone needs to have in their bag is 1 club.

Plus clubs dont win majors players do.

I dont think really "may people" would throw W/S in the mix when talking about the "best" clubs out there compared to Ping, TM, Titleist, Callaway, Adams. JMHO
[/quote]

That may be so but,all of these majors that i posted were won with a full set of Wilson Staff irons it is easy to look up so look it up if ya want to.If i was talking about one club it would be much more cause back in the day almost all pro's played W/S wedges,i would not even try to look all of those up.

And i know players win majors but,they would not win 61 with a company that doesnt make great equipment.

I know most people would not throw W/S into the mix but,the people who have hit them would.

I will tell ya what:
Why dont you go out and hit the FG Tours and the Ci9's ! And when they come out the Di11's,DXI driver and woods.

And then post your thoughts if you dont think the FG Tours stack up to the other manufacturers players irons then,post it on golfwrx.And do the same for the rest of the clubs and,be honest just let us all know what you think.