Affordable Golf

profsmitty

Interesting Idea/Symposium
A while back, I became interested in the ideas of Geoff Shackleford and others who were (and are) writing about making golf more environmentally friendly, less resource intensive, and more generally more affordable for both golfers and course operators. I was (and am) convinced that the current economic difficulties we are experiencing will have long term impacts on the game in much the same way that the Great Depression impacted the game during the 1930s - 1990s. I was (and am still) convinced that golf will have to change to survive in ways we have not even begun to understand. I ran across this notice on another website that indicates that others also believe that golf must evolve, as well.

http://www.symposiumonaffordablegolf.com/default.htm

While it is probably not as interesting a topic as some, I am curious on the thoughts of WRX members about the issue of golf and affordability. How can golf become a sport that can survive economic "tough times" while retaining its traditional character?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally rational thoughts on how a golf course should be. I've felt this way all along. As we used to say in the service, "alot of show and very little go", lol, and now all the show has permeated into our society, no wonder little gets done.

The other reason golf courses were over watered was to increase the pace of play.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic.
Though I agree with you and think you are totally right on with your thoughts, I really don't think golf will ever become truly an affordable sport by way of green practices and environmental stewardship anytime soon. ( sadly)

For example the article on Pebble that you posted the link to. Your typical American golfer is used to seeing [i]and expecting[/i] lush green fairways full of flower beds with thriving rose bushes and pretty fruit trees. Does this kind of thinking and design help golf as a sport? Of course not! But its the mindset that we as a whole have developed and encouraged for decades. Look at the game in this country....it has been a game of the wealthy. ( though the dynamics have been changing)

On the other hand, consider courses in the UK. For the most part they are not designed with massive and costly earthwork changes ( they work with the land rather than against it) or irrigation systems ( most do not irrigate). Its the norm to see families on the courses and players from all walks of life.

So, while I think there are "grass root" movements to change the face of golf in the US......I think its going to be a long time away.

• 2 months later...

That is a good point SpinMill75 made about course design in North America vs Europe. Eurpoe tends to stay closer to the natural lay of the land whereas N.A course are designed with lots of changes, ie moving dirt around to create contours, lakes, island greens, etc. Also the N.A. golfer wants prefect green fairways and putting surfaces and any course that isn't dressed up to the fullest with all the services included can sometimes be considered a dive or dumpy course. Therefore to create these courses, they take alot of money to build and maintain thus require higher fees to recoup and build a bank account to stay open and competitive for the available golfer dollar, even more so in todays economic environment.

There is a local course to me that is $9 for 9 holes and $15 for 18 holes.

pull carts rent for $3 and power carts rent for $9 for 9 holes and $15 for 18 holes.

hot dogs are $1.50

bottle of gatorade is $1.50 ...this is all including tax, for the record.

...for all the talk of it being a crappy course, I haven't seen anyone go out there and light it up. Par 70, rated at about 66...course record is 61 that has never been tied and was set in the early 1990's.

..you can buy clubs off eBay or craigslist or even here in the BST for pennies on the dollar for what they cost new. You can break par with any clubs from the last 100 years if your ability is there.

..a basic bag can be purchased for a few dollars.

..golf balls are cheap in the used bins, or from places that recycle them.

...this sport/game is very affordable in its traditional character. The problem is not keeping golf alive, it's keeping golf alive as it was meant to be played, which has been lost on those who think TPC Sawgrass is what all golf courses should look like.

..then there are those who think Bandon or Chambers Bay is what a golf course should look like, which is partly true, however the costs involved in making those courses "traditional" is a bit hypocritical in actuality.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

There is a great article in the current [u]LInks[/u] magazine about 10 affordable courses that embody "the ideals of 'A Simpler Game'". The courses they list are

Pacific Grove Golf Links
Pinon Hills Golf Course
CommonGround Golf Course
Golf Courses of Lawsonia (Links)
Wild Horse Golf Club
Southern Pines Golf Club
Lakewood Shores Resort (Gailes)
Tallgrass Golf Club
Highland Links Golf Course
Rustic Canyon Golf Course

I'm curious if there are others that have captured the simplicity and the non-pretentiousness of these courses that would also be included in this list? I would like to nominate one - Auburn Hills Golf Course in Wichita KS. Its a great track that can be played any day for less than $30.

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1291941723' post='2832656']
There is a great article in the current [u]LInks[/u] magazine about 10 affordable courses that embody "the ideals of 'A Simpler Game'". The courses they list are

Pacific Grove Golf Links
Pinon Hills Golf Course
CommonGround Golf Course
Wild Horse Golf Club
Southern Pines Golf Club
Tallgrass Golf Club

I'm curious if there are others that have captured the simplicity and the non-pretentiousness of these courses that would also be included in this list? I would like to nominate one - Auburn Hills Golf Course in Wichita KS. Its a great track that can be played any day for less than $30.
[/quote]
There are so many wonderful courses out there to play that people seem to either never see, or refuse to admit they play at for some reason or another. It's like folks have forgotten that Bandon Dunes isn't the only course in Oregon, or that Pebble Beach isn't the only course in central California. Liberal examples, yes, but how many $15, $25, or $30 courses does one drive past to get to Bandon? Courses that, for the financial outlay, are every bit as much, and sometimes much more, of a traditional golf challenge than their high dollar cousin to the west?

I mean for crying out loud instead of going to Princeville Resort on Kaua'i one could drive to Kukuiolono Park & Golf Course that is $9 to play ALL DAY. 9 bucks, that's it. Play 9, play 108, it doesn't matter. 9 dollars is all....and it can kick your butt if you're not on your game.

Plus, the view from up there is something else, a true "million dollar view" if there ever was one. It is something really special in a place where it seems everything is ridiculously expensive.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

I just came back from the range at my home course. The grass is the dormant yellow/brown color. The course itself is looking links-ish..playing fast. However, the people who are out there are not the casual golfer. The casual golfer, for the most part, isnt out there this time of year. I live Houston where its 55* during the day in the dead of winter, but the casual golfer is not out. I think a large part of the reason is because the course isnt green. If conditions similar to this become the norm, I think you lose a percentage of the casual golfer. I dont know...maybe thats a good thing in the long run.

If someone chooses to stay home based on the color of the turf, I for one am glad they choose to do so.

They're probably the same ones who complain about hard gray sand, inconsistent fairway grass length and unpredictable green speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1291945696' post='2832752']
If someone chooses to stay home based on the color of the turf, I for one am glad they choose to do so.

They're probably the same ones who complain about hard gray sand, inconsistent fairway grass length and unpredictable green speeds.
[/quote]

Pretty much my thoughts also.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1291941723' post='2832656']

Pacific Grove Golf Links
Pinon Hills Golf Course
CommonGround Golf Course
Wild Horse Golf Club
Southern Pines Golf Club
Tallgrass Golf Club

[/quote]

Thanks for posting. By any chance, could you include the link again. I'm not having any luck finding the article on their site. TIA.

Ping G400 driver
Ping G425 5 wood

Ping G425 4 hybrid
Titleist T200 Irons (2019)
Vokey SM9 52, 56, 60 wedges
LAB Link 1

• 3 months later...

With the price of gas those long drives to far away courses just went up. I keep it cheap by usually playing nine as opposed to 18. I have other things to do with my time, like gardening, and keeping things fixed around the house.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

[size="4"][color="#0000ff"]Being retired I have become a bargain-shopping golfer. So I constantly check the golf in town for internet specials, sign up for free birthday round etc. I marshall at one course where for a morning or afternnon of work gets you two rounds for free. I play only the balls I find and don't buy clubs any more. I actually enjoy the variety of courses I play. Green fees are currently $7 to 11. [/color][/size]

[quote name='pueblo' timestamp='1303077717' post='3162438']
[size="4"][color="#0000ff"]Being retired I have become a bargain-shopping golfer. So I constantly check the golf in town for internet specials, sign up for free birthday round etc. I marshall at one course where for a morning or afternnon of work gets you two rounds for free. I play only the balls I find and don't buy clubs any more. I actually enjoy the variety of courses I play. Green fees are currently $7 to 11. [/color][/size]
[/quote]

Where do you live?!?!................I'm moving there

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mannlygolf' timestamp='1303748737' post='3184091']
[quote name='pueblo' timestamp='1303077717' post='3162438']
[/quote]

Where do you live?!?!................I'm moving there
[/quote]

I think I will retire there myself.

I took care of this problem this year. I am retired and play around 60 rounds per year. I took a part time job (Two 6 Hour Shifts Per Week) at my home course as a Ranger and now play unlimited golf after 12:00 Noon, 7 Days a Week, including a riding cart for free when not working. We have about 10 Rangers, all over 60, all good players, and all know the rules. Our club is managed by Kemper Sports and at our particular course, they take the duties of the Rangers very serious! When Rangers work a course correctly, they can be invaluable to the enjoyment of a round. If they don't know what they are doing, it is a JOKE! We know what we are doing and we get many more "Thank Yous" than complaints. :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1305597702' post='3239885']
I took care of this problem this year. I am retired and play around 60 rounds per year. I took a part time job (Two 6 Hour Shifts Per Week) at my home course as a Ranger and now play unlimited golf after 12:00 Noon, 7 Days a Week, including a riding cart for free when not working. We have about 10 Rangers, all over 60, all good players, and all know the rules. Our club is managed by Kemper Sports and at our particular course, they take the duties of the Rangers very serious! When Rangers work a course correctly, they can be invaluable to the enjoyment of a round. If they don't know what they are doing, it is a JOKE! We know what we are doing and we get many more "Thank Yous" than complaints. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

What you said is incredibly true. Great rangers are invaluable. It is great to see that many others agree with this statement. Thank you for giving rangers a good name and helping the golf course you work at.