Looking for Golf Options in North Delaware/SE PA

OzzDOA

Hello all,

This past year I maintained a membership at a private course. When I joined the initial membership fee for a "Young Executive" type membership made it look like a great deal for the amount of golf that can be played. However as the year progressed I found that the associated fees (locker, bag, cart, activities, food minimums etc) made the "deal" not so much of a deal. So I have recently resigned my membership in search for something that fits what I want better.

What I am looking for is:

1. Golf focus: Primarily want somewhere to play golf without the pain of using GolfNow or calling around for tee times. I really don't want or need the "country club experience". Also I enjoy playing as a single sometimes and don't like how most public courses him and haw if you try to get on as a single.

2. No or minimal "other" fees/minimums: I really disliked how these fees ended up being more than double my membership fee for the year.

Anyone have an suggestions for clubs or other options in the area?

Cram it with walnuts!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='OzzDOA' timestamp='1289404724' post='2783798']
No one has suggestions? There has to be something out there that is golf focused in the area that doesn't have all the country club entrapments.
[/quote]

Sorry to be blunt, I'm not sure if what you are looking for exists. You don't want to play public tracks because you don't want to call around or make times online, yet you don't want to join a club where you can just show up and play because of the monthly food minimums.

Also I've never heard of a public track giving a single a hard time as there are always twosomes or threesomes that they would want to fill. It may not be exactly when you want to play, but they will get you out. However, if you are asking for a public course to reserve a tee time for you as a single, I think your expectations are unreasonable. As a business that would be a very poor practice.

What exactly do you mean by a club/course being "golf focused"? There are a number of private clubs in the area that now offer a la carte options where you pay for your membership, but charge extra for a locker, use of practice facilities, pool, handicap, etc. However you aren't going to find a private without some sort of food minimum.

I agree with Luxman. What you're asking for is country club treatment without paying the price. Not to be a SmartA, but I'd like a BMW ride in my car while paying the price of a Chevy.

Private clubs offer the type of golf you want, but it comes with a price. The extra fees should not have come as a shock, I"m sure they were disclosed in your membership agreement.

Again as Luxman said, playing as a single on public courses isn't really that difficult, unless you're trying to go out at 9AM on a Saturday or Sunday by yourself. But most courses have openings they will slot a single into, but won't reserve a whole tee time for a foursome. Try calling a nice restaurant in your town asking for a table for 1 at 7PM on Saturday night, I bet you will get a reply something to the affect of. "we don't have anything available at 7PM, we have 4:30 or 9:30, would you like one of those."

Good luck with your search.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Maybe I should be a bit more detailed. Playing public courses doesn't bother me when I can get buddies to go with. My issue is I play primarily on weekends and public courses act like they are doing me a favor getting me fit in as a single since most of the time people go as set groups on weekends. In that case I'd rather give my money to the simulators as they are always happy to have me as a single.

I don't mind food minimums as long as they are reasonable, a beer and lunch every now and again usually should take care of them. My issue is (primarily at my former club) in an effort to raise revenues some of the optional perks like locker, bag storage, carts and such were made mandatory fees halfway through. Then I was being charged a "capital improvement fee" every month and guest fees that were added etc.. Sure I could have resigned when that happened but I paid my base fees in full up front and wouldn't get them back, so I would have wasted that money. It may have just been a poorly managed club but it has left me cautious in searching for somewhere else.

I guess I am looking for a club that would allow me to pay for only what I wanted to use. I don't need the pool or social activities, I just want to play golf and use the golf related services. As a younger person with a family I want the most I can get for my money. If such a place doesn't exist then fine, you can't always get what you want. I'll make due.

Cram it with walnuts!

That is definitely different that what you originally posted.

As I posted, there are a number of private clubs that offer a la carte memberships. Blue Bell and Talamore are two of them. I cannot speak about Talamore's deal, but Blue Bell's food minimum is $85 per month and includes alcohol (many privates won't include alcohol in the minimum). Obviously the dues will not include your cart fees or guest fees, but does cover your golf. If you want a locker, bag storage, use the practice facility, poor or fitness center it is extra, but it is your choice to pay for it or not. Also, both of these clubs are corporately owned and there are no assessments.

It sounds to me that we have similar situations. I am 38, married with a 5 year old son so I know what you mean about wanting to get the most for your money. For me, Blue Bell does that for me, but it also helps that I live in the community too. But, given you are looking for something in northern Delaware, Blue Bell and Talamore may be too far for you.

I would recommend going to GAP's places to play map, http://www.gapgolf.org/clubmap.asp and click on those clubs that might be of interest to you to see what their membership offerings are.

I don't know what their deal is, but Penn Oaks may not be a bad option. Other courses in Chester County not too far from the DE/PA border that might fit what you are looking for would include Applecross (owned by Talmore) and Downingtown.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks Luxman, sorry for my initial vaguery hehe. I was at work and in a rush to get the initial post done between tasks. I will look at Blue Bell, Talamore, Penn Oaks and any others that have "ala carte" options. I am a Delaware County dweller and northern Delaware is generally easier to get to, but the Blue Route/422 corridor isn't out of the question.

Cram it with walnuts!

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1289421128' post='2784304']
Not a ton of options in Delaware County that would meet your criteria (Edgmont may be the only one). Back Creek in DE might work for you and I see that White Clay Creek offers some memberships too.
[/quote]

White Clay Creek has been on my "want to play" list for several years. I think a year or two ago Golfstyles had an event there and I really tried to get to it, but the date just didn't work. It looks very nice.

Nice upscale daily fee courses like that might be a good option for what he's looking for, there will still be the issue of going out as a single, but it should easier than at a local muni.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1289423369' post='2784365']
[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1289421128' post='2784304']
Not a ton of options in Delaware County that would meet your criteria (Edgmont may be the only one). Back Creek in DE might work for you and I see that White Clay Creek offers some memberships too.
[/quote]

White Clay Creek has been on my "want to play" list for several years. I think a year or two ago Golfstyles had an event there and I really tried to get to it, but the date just didn't work. It looks very nice.

Nice upscale daily fee courses like that might be a good option for what he's looking for, there will still be the issue of going out as a single, but it should easier than at a local muni.
[/quote]

I haven't played it yet either, but know a few people that have. They say it is very good and extremely challenging from the back tees.

White Clay is a really nice layout and definitely challenging. They keep it in pretty good shape -the initial rates were $110-$120. THey have since come down to $85 in season and lower now as it gets to winter. Daily use of locker and shower is included. They have a great practice range and short game area -with several bunkers.

When the price was over $100 - it was easy to get on even on weekends, As the price has come down the usage has gone up.

Their membership is more like a prepaid account. You give them a large chunk of money up front (I think mid $3000), then each time you play they deduct from your prepaid balance (at a rate less than the public rate). Your guests pay more than you but less than public rate. You have charging priviliges that come out of your prepaid. At the start of the season you refill the account. If you decide to leave I believe you can have back all of the remainder in the account. They run some 'member only events'.

It is still a public course and getting out as a single on a Saturday or Sunday morning is unlikely.

Downside is that it is not unlimited golf but you only pay for what you play.

Different concept to the a lot of other courses.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='OzzDOA' timestamp='1289590308' post='2787344']
I got membership information on Penn Oaks and Back Creek. At this point Penn Oaks appears to be an excellent value. Anyone played there or can provide some feed-back?
[/quote]

I am not a member nor am I affiliated with the club in any way, but have played Penn Oaks many, many times. It is a strong golf course with a lot of good holes and a few I would blow up if it was up to me (but of course, they never asked, LOL). There is no "snooty factor" at Penn Oaks, and I hear their new short game practice area is very nice. Good range, and the course historically has played pretty firm and fast. Used to be a little rough around the edges for a private club but I hear they have done a lot of work in the last few years.

You also might want to check into Concord just down the street...like most clubs, they're also looking for members and I think the course might be a bit better, but I suspect membership is pricier than Penn Oaks. Brandywine has been on the brink for a year or two and opened up to some public play, but they might have a membership there that would give you the weekend play you want without being too expensive. The course is fairly flat but the greens have been outstanding all year. Their super's budget isn't very large right now but he has kept those greens as good as anyones.

• 4 weeks later...