2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Just a single in Phoenix area

glenametz

Best options
As the saying goes, "Long time lurker, first time poster"

I'm headed to Phoenix in early March for a little getaway. I'm arriving on a Saturday (5th), leaving on a Wednesday (9th), and hoping to play golf Sun, Mon, Tues. I'm travelling alone (ah, the single life), in my mid-30's, with an index of 21. I've contacted some of the package vendors in the area, and I'm not pleased with the offers. Seems travelling alone kind of ruins the package deals that are based on double occupancy.

So, I'm looking for some advice. I don't care where I stay, or what type of hotel. In fact, the cheaper the better. It's just a place to crash at night and shower in the morning. I don't need a fancy resort to make me happy. I'll be renting a car, so I don't care if I have to drive an hour or more to a course. Being in perfect weather will be a gift compared to the 4th month of snow here in Rochester, NY. Any recommendations of a part of town to stay in? Also, someplace close to a driving range would be great. I haven't touched my sticks since October.

Also, are there deals to be had for tee times using Golfnow or other discount golf sites (don't know if there are any others, actually). I'm almost thinking if I can find a hotel for about $75/night on my own, and book the golf on my own I'll be better off. But, I don't want to run the risk of getting there and not playing. I'm hoping to play the TPC course, my best friends brother is an assistant pro at TPC Potomac and might be able to get me on at a discounted rate. If that comes through, I'll only need to find tee times for 2 other days. I'd rather not pay over $100/round.

Or, should I keep shopping packages and see what I can find? Any advice, tips, pointers would be appreciated. I know where I live, in the middle of the summer I can go to just about any course, show up and play 18 on a weekend as a single (they'll fit me in somewhere). I'm kind of blessed to live in a golf crazy area.

Thanks for all of your help.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been to Phoenix in a few years, but I used to go a few times each year. I've stayed at a number of places there, but always with a group, and never as a single, so I probably can't speak to that.

We always went and used one of the "last minute tee time" services. Never had an issue finding tee times, and always managed to get a great deal (read "Heavy discounts") on some fantastic courses. You might look ahead of time and get their numbers and maybe even give a couple of them a call to let them know your intent.

Good luck! I can certainly relate to "sick of winter" disease. Here in southwestern PA, winter has come early and I can't actually remember the last time it was above freezing. I may be wanting to join you in another month!

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

DO NOT USE PACKAGES!

You will come out way ahead on your own.

Use Hotwire for your hotel....do not choose Scottsdale. Choose Phoenix, Tempe, Chandler or Mesa.

Between the discount sites here, you can hook up a great trip...I just saw Anthem for $58(super deal). If you want to drive to Tuscon, Dove Mountain is $75(this is where the Match play is played).

Even Troon North can be had for under a hundred during the week.

Agreed do not stay in scottsdale. I live in phoenix and using golfnow you can book a tee time less than 7 days in advance and still get really good times.. and as a single you be just fine. But if you stay in scottsdale be prepared to pay double at any hotel. Look in the Phoenix area. There is a hotel in the mist of downtown Phoenix. here is the contact info. A buddy of mine stayed there recently all renovated rooms new beds/tv's/appliances and its less than 50 a night.

Americas Best Value Inn
424 West Van Buren Street, Phoenix - (602) 257-8331

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Thanks for the insight. While I appreciate that deal on a hotel Blake, I'd prefer a hotel with actually hallways. For some odd reason I just feel safer in them. Looks like I'll fly by the seat of my pants and see what I can book as I get closer. I'm a registered user at GolfNow, any other services that I should be aware of? I don't want to step on any toes around here, I don't know what the sites rules are for talking about other sites.

i just got back from scottsdale, and like you I went down as a single. I think a package deal is more about convenience than savings. to get the best deal on travel, I would check expedia, travelocity, etc. I booked my flight, hotel, and car all together and saved huge from booking it all individually. I'd just use golfnow and ezlinks to book the golf. Sometimes they only show 2-4 golfers, but if you call the proshop, they'll probably give you the same price and book you in as a single.

I think your choice about golf will depend how far in advance you want to book. On one end of the spectrum, if you have a specific course with a specific day and time that you need to play, you're going to have to book in advance and pay near full rate to do so. If you want the best deals, then just book it last minute. I found there were two tiers of discounts, basically one week in advance, and then next day deals. All courses are different, but to give you an idea TPC stadium was $289 full rate when I was there. one week in advance you could book for $160ish on golfnow. I waited until the night before and I booked it for $139.

If you don't have a specific course you want to play, I'd just go prepared with a list of 6-8, wait until the last minute, and try to find the best deal. Obviously it varies with the time of the year, but i found the courses were not busy on weekdays. If you have specific course you want to play, or if you're trying to play 36/day and you need early morning tee times to get two rounds in, then maybe you want to book at least one round in advance.

Thanks again for everyone's help and opinions. It seems from what I've seen here that most of the courses are on the east side of town in the Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe area. Am I correct in that assumption? That looks like the best area to stay in.

I've got some nice hotel deals right now on Priceline. A Days Inn in Mesa for $55/night, Red Roof in Chandler for $51/night, not bad options I guess. Anyone else have a recommendation for a hotel in that price range?

I'd like to play 3 rounds while out there, no 36 in a day. I'd like to keep 2 of the rounds under $100 if possible, and I don't mind breaking the bank for one truly memorable experience.

Here is the deal about AZ golf, my buddy and I have been going down there for years several times per year just for golf. We used to plan everything out and book tee times 60 days+ in advance but there are so many good golf courses down there that there is no need for this. And your right about the hotel you just need a place to lock your stuff up, sleep, and shower so going with a discounted hotel is the way to go seeing that if you are playing 2 rounds a day you are really only there to sleep. Also the cheapest route to go for tee times to to wait until the night before and go on golfnow.com as a single and get betwen 25-75% off your round because they are looking to fill last minute spots all the time. We now never book anything until we get down there and then book the night before around 8-11pm and you will get the best deals, don't worry about not getting on a course there aren't that many golfers filling up all the courses.