5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just ordered a set of these. I currently have the Pro MBs and I am looking forward getting these. I ordered 4,5 iron in CB and 6-PW MB. I hope that they have a similar heads shape to my current Pro MBs as I love how the look at address.. Can anyone comment on this?

Ping G Driver - 10.5 with Tour 65X
Ping G25 4 wood - 16.5 with AD-DI7S
TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid
Ping S55 4-PW with C-Taper Lite (silver dot)
Ping Gorge 52,56,60 with C-Taper Lite (silver dot)
Scotty Cameron Futura X 38"

Ok Guys I'm dying for these now.
The AP2s have taken all new comers and kicked them to the curb inc. the Nike Pro Combos.....

These irons look forgiving for a blade - The top lines look kinda thick in the pics - how do they look in person? I don't mind the bigger top line as forgivness in blades is a good thing...

I'm thinking 3-7 in Cb and 8-p+g in blade.

2024 Bag TBD

Is there any pics of a head on shot...as mentioned before I am interested in these and they intrigue me but I am not a fan of squared off high toes. How do these compare look wise from the head on and address position to the Titleist MB's I currently play.

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

[quote name='VTHOKIES' timestamp='1299792688' post='3044491']
Is there any pics of a head on shot...as mentioned before I am interested in these and they intrigue me but I am not a fan of squared off high toes. How do these compare look wise from the head on and address position to the Titleist MB's I currently play.
[/quote]

I will snap a few shots over the weekend and add them up.

R

Wow!! Those sticks look awesome and I thought Nike had the combo set on lock. My first set of Cobra's were the King Cobra II's and hadn't ever considered Cobra since but may have to give'em a test drive. Love the simplicity and seemless transition from CB to MB.

Driver | Titleist TSR3 9*

4 Wood | Titleist TSR2

4 Hybrid | Titleist TSR2

Irons | Srixon ZX5 MkII 5 thru A

Wedge | Vokey 54*

Wedge | Vokey 60*

Putter | Odyssey 11 Triple Track

Ball | TBD

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='kg78' timestamp='1299724126' post='3042262']
The AP2s have taken all new comers and kicked them to the curb inc. the Nike Pro Combos.....

These irons look forgiving for a blade - The top lines look kinda thick in the pics - how do they look in person? I don't mind the bigger top line as forgivness in blades is a good thing...

[/quote]
KG-

This is exactly how I ordered them. The MB's are off the charts awesome and if I could do it again I would get the 7-iron and maybe even a 6-iron in an MB.

I have not posted here before but read posts about all the different equipment. What an awesome web site for golfaholics! I think Pitbull's description of the clubs is right on the money and want to add a few things to his report...

First off, there has been some comments on the lack of forgiveness in these irons. I would say that they aren't as forgiving as say a Ping G15 but there is still plenty of forgiveness. The head is smaller and I think people attribute that to not being forgiving. I would say ball striking would be my weakest part of my game and I think I have improved with these sticks.

Feel is unbelievable and I mean unf..gbelievable. I am a 1 handicap and had a great year last year with my R7 TP's that I have been playing for several years. My friend recently got the Cobra rep job and has been pushing me on these irons for a while until I caved. I tried very hard not to like them(worrying that I wouldn't be as good with them) but it was impossible. They are every bit as long as my old R7's and I can actually feel the shot and work the ball. If you are moving to these irons from a cast club you seriously won't believe it.

Looks are fantastic, whether with the satin finish or simple blade like shape. The top line is not thick at all in my opinion. I do think the sole is a little wider which adds to the forgiveness but in no way is it bothersome.

If you are considering buying a new set I would highly encourage you to look at these club. I have hit the new TM CB's and MB's, Callaway Razr X-Forged, Nike Pro-Combos, Ping S59's, and Cleveland CG whatevers and these irons were better than all of them. Cobra flies a little under the radar compared to the big's but don't sell yourself short and at least not try these. Several friends of mine were considering buying various sets of competitor's irons but once they saw these and hit them they have ordered sets. They are that good!

These are staying in the bag for some time!

JW out

Awesome set. Brother-in-law got his set last week and they look sick in person. I personally hit them a little high but they were stupid easy to hit.

Great job by Cobra on the S3 Pros.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

I hit them high to. From the looks I bet the low mass will translate to low spin to.

[quote name='lancelepage' timestamp='1299702662' post='3041007']
Well I just ordered a set of these. I currently have the Pro MBs and I am looking forward getting these. I ordered 4,5 iron in CB and 6-PW MB. I hope that they have a similar heads shape to my current Pro MBs as I love how the look at address.. Can anyone comment on this?
[/quote]

I cant comment of the comparison. Same set up as me. I got the 3 iron to. Gets me out of the trees.

[/quote]

The topline is beefier than say the s-56 and more traditional blades. I like it though. Reminds me of a rounded version of the x-proto. Same thickness maybe but softer.

After some time looking at the sole and grinds I am claiming these might take the cake for grinds for me. Here is my opinion. The soles are as wide as the s-56 irons. That is wide for a blade. The bounce is the same but the leading edge grind is off the hook. They are more beveled than say the s-56 but in a "Don White" way. Don adds a crescent moon grind to the leading edge. In other words he grind the center of the edge further than the edges. You will see this when you look at the Cobra S3's. I looked at them for a while and was very impressed.

There is a lot of leading edge grind on these and I like to have that in an iron. I am not a picker and when I miss by coming in early at 80 to 90 mph in a longer iron I like to have a leading edge grind to prevent a visit to China.

JMHGO

FREAKIN LOVE THESE HEADS!!! One of the softest irons I have hit. Probably the mass centered over the sweet spot. Ohh so good.

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1301970055' post='3120269']
I hit them high to. From teh looks I bet the low mass will translate to low spin to.

[quote name='lancelepage' timestamp='1299702662' post='3041007']
[/quote]

I cant comment of the comparison. Same set up as me. I got the 3 iron to. Gets me out of the trees.

[/quote]

The topline is beefier than say the s-56 and more traditional blades. I like it though. Reminds me of a rounded version of the x-proto. Same thinness maybe but softer.

After some time looking at the sole and grinds I am claiming these might take the cake for grinds for me. Here is my opinion. The soles are as wide as the s-56 irons. That is wide for a blade. The bounce is the same but the leading edge grind is off the hook. They are more beveled than say the s-56 but in a "Don WHite" way. Don adds a crescent moon to the leading edge. In other words he grind the venter of the edge further than the edges. You will see this when you look at the Cobra S3's. I looked at them for a while and was very impressed.

There is a lot of leading edge grind on these and I like to have that in an iron. I am not a picker and when I miss by coming in early at 80 to 90 mph in a longer iron I like to have a leading edge grind to prevent a visit to China.

JMHGO

FREAKIN LOVE THESE HEADS!!! One of the softest irons I have hit. Probably the mass centered over the sweet spot. Ohh so good.
[/quote]

Awesome thanks for the info!

Still tempted by these......... Have to hit them in person.

2024 Bag TBD

[quote name='kg78' timestamp='1301970703' post='3120337']

Awesome thanks for the info!

Still tempted by these......... Have to hit them in person.
[/quote]

It's been four months since I got these clubs...and to much surprise from my playing partners..they're still solidly in the bag. They've been very forgiving and I love the feel as much today as I did in January. Don't get me wrong...as much as a ho as I am, I have been tempted and looked at a few other clubs but with every passing round, I keep telling my cart partner, "hit me over the head if I buy another set!" :black eye:

[quote name='desaille' timestamp='1302014465' post='3121745']
PX setup is awesome in this head.

I would only do DG if you're a really low ball hitter.
These tend to get the ball up, the PX is a good compliment to the heads
[/quote]
Agreed, the PX is the way to go. I have hit both shafts and the PX seems to flight the ball much better with better distance.

[quote name='jwbeav' timestamp='1302023229' post='3122242']
[quote name='desaille' timestamp='1302014465' post='3121745']
PX setup is awesome in this head.

I would only do DG if you're a really low ball hitter.
These tend to get the ball up, the PX is a good compliment to the heads
[/quote]
Agreed, the PX is the way to go. I have hit both shafts and the PX seems to flight the ball much better with better distance.
[/quote]

Respectfully disagree. Hit them both and you decide. I agree that the DG goes lower but these heads seem to hit a high ball to me. I dont have a lot of time with them yet but that is what I am seeing.

I tried to go PX and we didnt get along.

Rich-
Perhaps a set of KBS Satins will be more agreeable:)

Myself and several others (on Wrx), have done the side by side comparison with DG vs PX and the results were astonishingly clear... Spin and distance winner was the Px and feel went to DG... So if someone could marry these two shafts they could rule the shaft wars once and for all! ;)

But the S3's are money no matter what you put in them and will stand up to Any iron available... They are that GOOD!

Thanks to feedback from Pitbull and others in this thread I pulled the trigger and ordered the S3 Pro through my club (4-5 cb, 6-p mb) almost a month ago. They were told immediately that Cobra was out of all S3 Pro heads but they should ship first week of April. After several calls from my pro, Cobra has now said they won't have the heads back until April 15th at the earliest. My pro is a Cobra staffer and is trying to pull some strings, but I am NOT a patient ho!!!!!!!! This seems strange to me for irons that were recently released, and I hope it's not a bad sign of the new Puma regime at Cobra. I'm still waiting, but if there is another delay I will take it as a sign from the golf gods lol. This is torture!!!!!!! :russian_roulette:

[quote name='Cmack42976' timestamp='1302033254' post='3122973']
Thanks to feedback from Pitbull and others in this thread I pulled the trigger and ordered the S3 Pro through my club (4-5 cb, 6-p mb) almost a month ago. They were told immediately that Cobra was out of all S3 Pro heads but they should ship first week of April. After several calls from my pro, Cobra has now said they won't have the heads back until April 15th at the earliest. My pro is a Cobra staffer and is trying to pull some strings, but I am NOT a patient ho!!!!!!!! This seems strange to me for irons that were recently released, and I hope it's not a bad sign of the new Puma regime at Cobra. I'm still waiting, but if there is another delay I will take it as a sign from the golf gods lol. This is torture!!!!!!! :russian_roulette:
[/quote]
My rep buddy said the takeover from Acushnet was to start April 1st and until that time any custom order was going to be a mess. I actually paid $20 extra per club for the PX 6.0 shafts because he didn't want to wait for the custom shaft price to drop (which he found out it was going to) because they were going to run out of heads. Apparently Acushnet was more concerned with the Titleist customers than the Cobra-Puma. Apparently they are working things out and it should get better soon.

Sorry to hear about the wait but they are well worth it. I think you hit the nail on the head with the 6-P in MB and 4-5 in CB. I will most likely order at least the 7-iron in MB once they get heads.