COBRA S3 PRO IRONS Review and In Hand Pics

There will be someone soon that stamps forged in America soon. I wish PING would bring their stuff back over cast I know, but bring it back. Someone buy Hogan from Callaway and bring it back, all of it back. You could just re-do some of the designs from not that long ago, add some tungsten etc. and have great, popular clubs. Heck I'll do it, just need someone with some money. Callaway just seems to be too lazy.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled upon these clubs when messing around at Golfsmith a month or so ago. They only have a demo 7 iron (mb) but I hit it and my immediate reaction was "Oh...my...GOD!" Kept going back to GS and that first impression never diminished, read about them on this post and a few others and kept my eyes open. I've hit lots of great irons over the last few years, including Scratch OTR and TD, two sets of Miuras and most of the OEMs (note, I only owned one of these sets mentioned). Anyway, I scored 6-PW from Will Peoples, who occasionally posts on golfwrx and got them in today (two day shipping!). First range session in, I remain excited -- they feel incredible. A very muted, soft feel, unlike any other iron I've ever hit. I got all cavity back for the added forgiveness. Knock on wood, I don't sense them being that much harder to hit than my Adams CB1. Nothing feels like the S3 Pros. Very excited to put these in play -- highly recommend if you're looking for a soft feeling iron. And, as a bogey golfer, if I can play these, I think a lot of golfers can also.

ETA: 4 and 5 irons on order to complete the set.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

[quote name='agolfer4him' timestamp='1310263355' post='3378263']
can anyone compare these to the mp 58s (feel(is it as buttery as mizuno), forgiveness etc....)
[/quote]

I had the 58's a few sets prior to these S3's....which Yes! I'm still playing (a new personal record! :D)

In my opinion, the S3's feel just as good if not better then the 58's. Forgiveness...58's were pretty forgiving, by I'm finding the S3's better. To put it simply...I [u]had[/u] the 58's. They weren't in the bag close to half as long as these have been in my bag. :yes: Till today, I still think the 58 is a gorgeous looking club with a lot more panache then Cobra...but I still love the feel of my S3's and how great they work for me.

BTW..here was my review on 58,68, 300 [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/368591-mizuno-mp-68-mp-58-mx-300-comparison-review"]COMPARISON[/url]

[quote name='Floratine' timestamp='1307920763' post='3302300']
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]I currently game a set of Mizuno MP-53's. Today at a demo day I was out to find a driver, turns out I hit my Cobra L5V better than anything there. Anyway, I was tired of hitting drivers so I decided to mess around with irons. I hit some AP2's, Titty MB's, CB's, Callaway Razrs, TM, CB and MB and then the S3 Pros. Oh my! I would've traded in my MP-53's on the spot had I not just bought them 3 weeks ago. I hit 50+ balls with the 5, 7, and 9 irons and was in love.

First of all they felt great, nice soft feel with a great sound. Second, they were as accurate as anything I've ever hit and miles more forgiving than I ever would've anticipated. I'm a low single digit, 2, yet I've always played GI irons until 3 weeks ago when I got my MP's. I went with the 53's because I had a mental block that I couldn't hit a true "players" club. Today swinging the S3 Pro changed that in my mind and now I have a decision to make.

Why GOD why did I go to demo day today??????
[/size][/color]
[/quote]

Its been about a month since I got these and promptly sold my Mizuno MP-53s that I only had for 3 weeks.

As I stated in the post above I have always played GI irons, been playing golf for 10 years, and was always scared of the smaller blade-ish clubs. About 2 months ago I took the leap and bought some MP-53s because of the Mizuno name and because the 53s were the most forgiving of the MP line.

Now to the S3's. In the month I've had them my handicap has dropped to a 1 and I think most of that is just the confidence I have with these irons. The 7, 8, 9, PW, and GW are scary straight, VERY high, and land so soft I just love them. I have them shafted with Nippon NS Pro 950, same shaft I had in the Mizzz's, but I hit these irons so much higher than the Mizzy's. Although they go higher I haven't lost any distance and they just land and stop.

Coming from GI irons my first introduction to forged was the 53's. IMO, the S3's feel lightyears better, with a better sound, along with being softer. I think the S3's are more forgiving which to this day amazes me. Had I known I could play these like I have I would've ordered the 5 and 6 in the MB, not the CB.

I've attached a few pics of my clubs.......I removed the paint fill and left it blank, kinda like the Scratch look of the EZ1's, then I replaced the black numbers with a pink paint.

The last thing I have to say about these is I've never had clubs in my back that garner the attention these draw. I have guys come up all the time saying how good they look and they can't believe they're Cobra's. I'm a whore, a bona fide golf whore who loves to swap stuff out and just change for the sake of change but I think these will be in the back for a long time!!

[quote name='Floratine' timestamp='1310487582' post='3384936']
Its been about a month since I got these and promptly sold my Mizuno MP-53s that I only had for 3 weeks.

As I stated in the post above I have always played GI irons, been playing golf for 10 years, and was always scared of the smaller blade-ish clubs. About 2 months ago I took the leap and bought some MP-53s because of the Mizuno name and because the 53s were the most forgiving of the MP line.

Now to the S3's. In the month I've had them my handicap has dropped to a 1 and I think most of that is just the confidence I have with these irons. The 7, 8, 9, PW, and GW are scary straight, VERY high, and land so soft I just love them. I have them shafted with Nippon NS Pro 950, same shaft I had in the Mizzz's, but I hit these irons so much higher than the Mizzy's. Although they go higher I haven't lost any distance and they just land and stop.

Coming from GI irons my first introduction to forged was the 53's. IMO, the S3's feel lightyears better, with a better sound, along with being softer. I think the S3's are more forgiving which to this day amazes me. Had I known I could play these like I have I would've ordered the 5 and 6 in the MB, not the CB.

I've attached a few pics of my clubs.......I removed the paint fill and left it blank, kinda like the Scratch look of the EZ1's, then I replaced the black numbers with a pink paint.

The last thing I have to say about these is I've never had clubs in my back that garner the attention these draw. I have guys come up all the time saying how good they look and they can't believe they're Cobra's. I'm a whore, a bona fide golf whore who loves to swap stuff out and just change for the sake of change but I think these will be in the back for a long time!!
[/quote]

Great to hear. I swear...I hang out at many golf shops here in town and yes, many know my "ho-ing" ways. One of my usual haunts..they always laugh and shake their heads when I tell them I'm still playing the Cobra's and they're pretty stunned considering I'm on their "first call" list whenever any Toustage club hits their shelves. I keep telling the boys.."Hit them, you'll see I'm not kidding". After I read this post this afternoon, I called my friend who's also playing a set of S3's except he's got all cavity backs and told him "See..we're not the only guys who think they're great!". :drinks:

Somehow I missed these before. This is the first that I've seen them, and they look absolutely amazing. I'd bag these in a second.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X

Taylormade SIM Max 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5

Ping G410 18.5* Tensei CK Orange 70X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Not a huge Cobra fan, but those irons do look like a great set of clubs. I wish they had been at the most recent demo day I attended, would have been nice to determine first hand if they play as good as they look.

[b]Driver:[/b] TM M6 9* / Tensei Orange
[b]Fairway:[/b] Ping G20 15* / Ping TFC Tour Stiff
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 816 H2 / Fuji Tour Spec
[b]Irons:[/b] Callaway Apex/Apex Pro Combo  4-PW / KBS Tour V stiff
[b]Wedge:[/b] Cleveland CG 15 52* / DG S400
[b]Wedge:[/b] Cleveland CG 15 56* / DG S400
[b]Wedge:[/b] Cleveland CG 15 60* / DG S400
[b]Putter:[/b] Scotty Mil-Spec Newport

[quote name='pitbull808' timestamp='1310543254' post='3387485']
[quote name='Floratine' timestamp='1310487582' post='3384936']

[/quote]

Great to hear. I swear...I hang out at many golf shops here in town and yes, many know my "ho-ing" ways. One of my usual haunts..they always laugh and shake their heads when I tell them I'm still playing the Cobra's and they're pretty stunned considering I'm on their "first call" list whenever any Toustage club hits their shelves. I keep telling the boys.."Hit them, you'll see I'm not kidding". After I read this post this afternoon, I called my friend who's also playing a set of S3's except he's got all cavity backs and told him "See..we're not the only guys who think they're great!". :drinks:
[/quote]

I've never had clubs in my bag that had so many guys asking if I minded if they swung them. Since January, I've had TM Burner 2.0s, Mizuno JPX 800 Pro, TEE Exotics EX-1s, Mizuno MP-53s, (demoed Titleist AP2s, and Wilson FG Tours) and finally these Cobra's.

Just yesterday a guy playing the Razr Tour irons asked to hit my 7 and couldn't believe how good it felt and how soft it landed.

I'm an Exotics fan and play their 3 wood and hybrids and my backup irons are the EX1s. However, I'm thinking about selling the EX1s because I can't think of a scenario where I would take the S3s out of the bag.

[quote name='ASU-Golfer' timestamp='1310662712' post='3391193']
I know these havent been out for a while but does anyone know how the satin finish will end up after a few years of play.. Will they brown out you think?
[/quote]

I've got seven months of heavy play with mine. They look the same except with some chatter marks. I'll post a pic later if you need one. ;)

Just picked up a set as well. Couldn't agree more with your review! There is good reason you have kept these so long. I went through a looooooooooong shopping period where I believe I hit just about every set on the market before deciding on these. The MB's are absolutely crazy when trying to land it soft on a tight green. These will be in my bag for quite some time I am sure!

Mini-update. I now have 4-P cavity back, best feeling irons I've ever hit. Very early impression is they suckers fly high and far, land nice and soft. I hit 4 and 5 today for the first time in 100 degree heat that became a [i]driving[/i] rain after five minutes (thankfully I was under a canopy but got soaked anyway). Even with these conditions I found the long irons only slightly less easy than my Adams CB1 but I've never tried to hit them in that kind of rain and humidity (yuck!). Even had to take off my glove. Still managed to stripe a few and on first impression the 4 and 5 fly higher than CB1's. Feel is equally outstanding as the rest of the S3 Pros.

Still amazed by how soft these irons feel, and even more excited by the performance after today. Now, of course, can I get these results on the course is the real question. Can't wait to find out.

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"

Coming from a major joint injury that sidelined my golfing for nearly a year, I was afraid of the forgiveness that I was possibly needing considering the actual recovery as well as my new job which is more demanding leaving me with less time for golf. I was gaming a set of adams a4 forged for nearly 3 years and loved every bit of it but decided I wanted something just a tad on the smaller side on address, when my old friend Dale, who is now the regional Cobra/Puma rep brought the demo by my store I was sold (this was while i was considering the yet to be released tp mc, and mizzy mp-53) I ended up going with the 4-7CB 8-pwMB, long story short, I have never felt a better forged club as far as impact is concerned (besides maybe a Miura) and Ive owned a few forged sets over the last decade or so, the shot shaping is insane, I am know able to work the ball left-right, and the flighting has never been better. I know the recent issues that cobra has had makes a few people hesitant to try and or buy, as well as large companies deciding not to have demos, but if you get a chance TRY IT OUT.

Pdang

I just got a set on ebay and I almost don't give a damn how they feel because they look so good, I'll have a hard time not playing them regardless. Obviously I am kidding, but the satin finish and look from address is amazing. I can't wait to take them to the course tomorrow. Hopefully I'll share the same opinion as pitbull.

[quote name='Bobcat43' timestamp='1306372988' post='3263063']
Mr. FEDEX delivered a very nice little present today. I only had time for a small bucket. But I can't wait to pull the DG shafts and put the beautiful and trusty PX satins in.

Hard to really give any kind of a review just hitting 40 balls with shafts that I don't care for. Hopefully, I can sneak away from the family this weekend to do some work. We just started our Match Play so I will probably wait to give these any real playtime anyway. I just can't see blowing a tourney just because I want to put these sexy stix in the bag.

But they do have a very distinctive deep sound and a solid feel. Nothing like the Titleist feel that I'm used to (no click). Very pleasant feel that just ooozes quality. Not sure who forged them (it says China on the sticker), but I'm not sure I've really ever felt anything quite like them. Now, I know I will lose some of that feel when I put the PX in. But the performance gains will be worth it.
[/quote]

OK so it's been 2 months and I finally put the Cobra Combos (Satin PX) in the bag yesterday. I had to go back and find this post to see how long it took me. Not because of anything other than not wanting to switch things up. I'm very slow to even mess around with changing my irons. I've also had other things going on that have kept me from having the time to fully test the new sticks.

Coming off last year that was one of my best (moved from 3.5 to 1.1 hcp) I really had high hopes fro this year. But my game has been so Jeckle and Hyde through June that I was really worried. But recent rounds have been better and my confidence is returning. So throwing an iron change in the mix was a lot to consider.

But I will say that after yesterday I'm really excited about golf again. And a lot of that is because of these irons. I won't get too detailed about the feel etc as so many hear have documented the amazing feel of these heads (and dare I say better feel then Mizuno, IMHO). I will just say that these are the first heads that have made using Satin PX shafts more bearable and dare I say enjoyable. For the record I used Prosoft inserts in the shafts too and that really helps.

First round out was the best ball striking round of the year. And they just felt like comfortable old friends. Great turf interaction and even hitting them slightly thin produced very good results. The trajectory seemed about the same as my normal PX trajectory and no lower (even though the lofts are lower than my norm). I'd call my normal swing type a Driver/Slider style and much less of a digger than I used to be. Both long and short irons seem to fit that style perfectly. I didn't miss a lot of fairways yesterday but through the rough they were excellent, with very little resistance (but in all fairness the bermuda rough was weak at best yesterday)

I'm very excited to get them back out and see how they continue perform. I put a few poor swings on them yesterday but found the results surprisingly good. Let's hope that holds true going forward. I'll continue to update as I go forward but right now I'm feeling very good about these.

i ran into these clubs by complete accident. i was testing all the ussual suspects and trying to narrow down my decision but had never considered anything from cobra because i've never seen an iron from them that wasn't super gi! as i was walking by the used irons rack a set of lime green iomic grips caught my attention. i picked up a club to get the feel of these grips i had only heard about and didn't even notice it was on a set of s3 pros. as i addressed the club i realized how nice it looked. i pulled the club head up and read "cobra" and thought "blah" and started to put it back. then i realized that it looked a LOT like an updated version of my tm rac mb's. with those screaming grips and now a slight sense of familiarity i decided to take a club back to a hitting bay. on the very first swing, somewhere during the time between contact and 3/4 of my follow through, that little voice in my head said in slow motion "W---T---F"! i looked at the ball to make sure it wasn't some old balata ball. ok, same range ball i just hit the tm tour preferred mb's and 710's with...that pure feeling and perfect sound had to be a fluke. i hit another one and felt the exact same satisfaction. now that voice was saying "but...but...but they're cobras"???

so after hitting a few more irons out of the set and getting even more of that feeling i called my golf buddy and asked him if he's ever hit these and what he knew about them. he didn't know much but directed me here. after reading this thread it was a done deal for me. i'm now playing these with the kbs c-tapers and can't imagine finding any better irons regardless of price! it's unfortunate that most golf shops don't carry these in their line-ups because they can easily stand up to (and surpass imho) the big boys. on the brighter side, i guess if nobody knows about them that gives me some exclusivity! ;)

Almost exactly how I found the S3 Pros. Today, I puuuured three out of three 4 iron shots, which is a big deal for me. First hole is a 355 par 4 that driver is taken out of your hand b/c fairway slopes at about 250 and runs into a creek. I hit 4 iron off the tee high and straight and had about 130 in (downhill and dry, running fw helped significantly...but still). Later I dropped a ball from 210 on a downhill par 5, landed about 20 yards short, bounced once and rolled pin high about 20 feet, unfortunately not my ball in play. :)

Incredible irons, feel better than they look. Which is saying something.

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1311982419' post='3434663']
i ran into these clubs by complete accident. i was testing all the ussual suspects and trying to narrow down my decision but had never considered anything from cobra because i've never seen an iron from them that wasn't super gi! as i was walking by the used irons rack a set of lime green iomic grips caught my attention. i picked up a club to get the feel of these grips i had only heard about and didn't even notice it was on a set of s3 pros. as i addressed the club i realized how nice it looked. i pulled the club head up and read "cobra" and thought "blah" and started to put it back. then i realized that it looked a LOT like an updated version of my tm rac mb's. with those screaming grips and now a slight sense of familiarity i decided to take a club back to a hitting bay. on the very first swing, somewhere during the time between contact and 3/4 of my follow through, that little voice in my head said in slow motion "W---T---F"! i looked at the ball to make sure it wasn't some old balata ball. ok, same range ball i just hit the tm tour preferred mb's and 710's with...that pure feeling and perfect sound had to be a fluke. i hit another one and felt the exact same satisfaction. now that voice was saying "but...but...but they're cobras"???

so after hitting a few more irons out of the set and getting even more of that feeling i called my golf buddy and asked him if he's ever hit these and what he knew about them. he didn't know much but directed me here. after reading this thread it was a done deal for me. i'm now playing these with the kbs c-tapers and can't imagine finding any better irons regardless of price! it's unfortunate that most golf shops don't carry these in their line-ups because they can easily stand up to (and surpass imho) the big boys. on the brighter side, i guess if nobody knows about them that gives me some exclusivity! ;)
[/quote]

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"

I had a fitting today, and like so many of the posts here, went into this with my pre-conceptions, say, Ping S56, Razr X tour, Taylormade MC, but my fitter suggested the S3 first of all. Hit these, went OK, tried all of the rest, and then just kept coming back to the S3s. I tried them in DGS300, then KBS and PX6.0, but finally went to the Nippon.

Just fantastic, lovely feel, great spin control and distance was just spot on. As for the forgiveness, I cannot say that I noticed too much of a drop off on some rather dody ones out of the toe.

I have yet to "press the button", but I have decided on a 4-6CB, 7-P MB, which seems to be standard fit here in the UK, although thanks to a few of the posts here, I hve noticed you can mix and match your MB/CB, 2 degrees upright and 1/4" longer, Nippon 1030H (or the KBS...not too sure here but those Nippons wee surprisingly good).

A final fiting will undoubtedly confirm this, my first new irons in 6 years, cool!!

[quote name='FredWomble' timestamp='1311989213' post='3434904']
Almost exactly how I found the S3 Pros. Today, I puuuured three out of three 4 iron shots, which is a big deal for me. Incredible irons, feel better than they look. Which is saying something.[/quote]

they definitely do feel incredible...i've never enjoyed hitting long irons until these and the cb's feel better than some of the mb's i've hit recently. what i can't figure out is why they're easier to hit than my ping i15's by a good margin!

[quote name='Matt Higgins' timestamp='1312042346' post='3436229']
I had a fitting today, and like so many of the posts here, went into this with my pre-conceptions, say, Ping S56, Razr X tour, Taylormade MC, but my fitter suggested the S3 first of all. Hit these, went OK, tried all of the rest, and then just kept coming back to the S3s. I tried them in DGS300, then KBS and PX6.0, but finally went to the Nippon.

Just fantastic, lovely feel, great spin control and distance was just spot on. As for the forgiveness, I cannot say that I noticed too much of a drop off on some rather dody ones out of the toe.

I have yet to "press the button", but I have decided on a 4-6CB, 7-P MB, which seems to be standard fit here in the UK, although thanks to a few of the posts here, I hve noticed you can mix and match your MB/CB, 2 degrees upright and 1/4" longer, Nippon 1030H (or the KBS...not too sure here but those Nippons wee surprisingly good).

A final fiting will undoubtedly confirm this, my first new irons in 6 years, cool!!
[/quote]

i picked up the 4-gw with the 4-6 in cb also and planned to switch them over to mb as i gained confidence with the set. in all honesty, i doubt i'll ever change them over...these cb's feel THAT GOOD!

good luck with your final fitting and if you do press the button you won't regret it!!!