College golf equipment

raddawg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was playing at Oklahoma, we got our choice of Titleist stuff. Coach kind of "suggested" that we play with what was recommended...that was 20 yrs. ago, though, and we had to pay for all of it (albeit with some pretty significant discounts)...

Urban legend has it that if you played at Ok. State you were told that "you'll play Ping equipment...or you won't play."

I doubt that...Coach Holder is above that crap...

The USGA recently relaxed their regulations on how much equipment an amateur can get and still maintain their amateur status, now an amateur can get unlimited equipment.

As to the NCAA question, its been a year since I went though NCAA compliance, but I believe that the NCAA defers to the USGA in golf for eligibility.

-Thomas

The college players I know got whatever they wanted at USC. The way they got around the free clubs and gear thing was simple. They were "supposed" to give it all back when they graduated. That way there was no economic benefit for the player and a NCAA violation. Just like all of teh helmets and shoulder pads that the football players use, they don't keep them after they leave (although one of my friends who played and still plays NFL has 5 or 6 helmets still!) That is how I was told they got around it. But the guys on the team got to play whatever they wanted as far as manufacturer goes.

NCAA athletes are in no way suppose to be able to benefit from their status as a collegiate golfer. If the NCAA were knowledgable of the infractions, be it a set of wedges here, or a putter there....serious penalties would incur. Potentially, if deemed to be offensive enough, a player could be banned from NCAA competition indefinitely.

As for what college golfers receive with respects to discounts.....the norm with most companies is a 20% of wholesale cost to the athlete. When I was in college, we could buy a dozen pro-v1s at $25. I could get Vokey wedges at $60 a piece, Cameron putters at $135 and the list goes on. Oh, I miss those college days! Who am I kinding....as a Pro, I haven't paid for golf balls or a round of golf in the last year and a half. Life is good....life is very good!

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#000000]Titleist TS3 10.5[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist TS3 13.5[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Aldila NV 95 x-flex[/color]--[color=#000000]-Titleist TS3 18.0[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #3[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #5-#9[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]--[color=#000000]-Vokey SM7 46.10 F Grind[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 52.12 F Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 56.10 S Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 60.04 L Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Newport II[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2.5 350g.[/color] [color=#000000]welded neck[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 2.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist ProV1x[/color][/b][/font][/size]

I played at a big ten school, graduated in 03, we got whatever we wanted from certain companies (callaway, titleist, taylormade, Mizuno) depending on how good we were. We were supposed to be charged for it after we graduated, but that was 5 dollars for our bags, 20 for irons etc. no one ever paid. After I left they really started getting stuff because of the change in amateur status rule allowing players to recieve equipment

NCAA athletes are in no way suppose to be able to benefit from their status as a collegiate golfer. If the NCAA were knowledgable of the infractions, be it a set of wedges here, or a putter there....serious penalties would incur. Potentially, if deemed to be offensive enough, a player could be banned from NCAA competition indefinitely.

An interesting question would be, how many NCAA sports require the athlete to provide their own equipment? Obviously in other sports (football is the best example) the school provides the necessary equipment. This is done through deals the school has arranged with shoe/apparel companies, so it sounds pretty similar to free golf gear.

Titleist TSR2 10*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 15*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

I would think it would be similiar to other sports. I played baseball for a D-1 college, and we had contracts for shoes, bats, gloves, and uniforms. We got a certain amount provided to us for free, and anything extra we wanted had to come out of our pocket. For example, we each got to choose a bat in our preferred length and weight. If we wanted an extra or a different size, it came out of our pockets.

Surely companies can provide players with a certain amount of equipment in golf also without it being an NCAA penalty.

• 4 months later...

does anyone know the exact discounts for these companies now? Taylormade's discount to my school was one of the worst, It must of been at wholesale. Cleveland is the best for our school. I am at a division 2 school if that changes anything for discounts. I could ask my coach , but hate to bother him during the holiday season

There are several elite colleges in which the best college players will get to pick whatever they want for free. This is because the company probably recongizes that the players coming out of these schools are the future tour pros and therefore want to develop a relationship early on.

For some reason in golf you can accept unlimited amounts of equipment from a company and retain your am status. For example, there is a player that lives near me that is in the top 25 fro junior golf ranking and he can get anything he wants from Titleist, including tour only prototypes, for free.

Taylormade M3 440
Taylormade M3 15
Titleist 716 T-MB 2
Mizuno MP18
Vokey SM7
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

I would have thought the same thing....but this topic got me thinking...

Doesn't the NCAA have some policy against athletes benifiting from there status, not to mention Amateur players still keeping their status.

The NCAA allows players to accept equipment to play their sport. For example, they guys on the B-ball team don't typically buy their own shoes/uniforms.

With respect to the golf team, accepting a discount or free equipment is not an NCAA violation.

• 7 months later...